Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Leperflesh posted:

Just wanna point out that these people natetimm is super-worried about are paying less in real dollars now than they did in real dollars when they bought their house.

$400 in 1978 is $1454 in 2014. But he's not even willing to let their property taxes be frozen based on their original home value in real dollars. Natetimm thinks people's property tax should decline over time, forever.

Also non-native californians: get the gently caress out! Well, get the gently caress out if you came here recently. If you came here in 1978 and bought a $40k house, you're fine, I guess. Or if your parents were immigrants.

Growth is bad! Development is bad! Taxes are bad! Government is bad! Fairness is bad! Taxing growing wealth is theft!

:getout:

You could set it at the rate of inflation, I'd be cool with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

on the left posted:

Yes they do, my county and even my small suburban city inside the county both had their own tax rates on top of state taxes. I had to look up my specific tax rate by zip code when I lived in Maryland.

I'm pretty sure it would take another proposition (which would need 2/3s of the popular vote, thanks to prop 13) to grant counties this power in CA. And then presumably each of those would require supermajorities in their localities.

Some localities do levy a payroll tax, though.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

So, serious news. Apparently some businessman from Washington bought the Clips. I for one am terrified, and having nightmares of a time when the Clippers go north and the Lakers get repossessed by Minneapolis.

It'll be our football teams all over again.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Grand Prize Winner posted:

So, serious news. Apparently some businessman from Washington bought the Clips. I for one am terrified, and having nightmares of a time when the Clippers go north and the Lakers get repossessed by Minneapolis.

You still might get our chargers one day.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Steve Ballmer: "Some businessman from Washington." hahaha

$2 Billion. I hope they charged him sales tax.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Well, Seattle did recently lose its team... :unsmigghh:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The Clippers aren't going anywhere, the team would be seriously devalued if it left the LA market.

They're almost guaranteed to get a name change and complete overhaul though. It's a perfect opportunity to shed the racist stink and terrible performance of the team of late. Rename them to the LA Riots or something.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Leperflesh posted:

Steve Ballmer: "Some businessman from Washington." hahaha

$2 Billion. I hope they charged him sales tax.
I think sales tax in Seattle is higher than LA.

(Youre thinking of Oregon...)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

FRINGE posted:

I think sales tax in Seattle is higher than LA.

(Youre thinking of Oregon...)

Yeah Washington has no personal/corporate income tax but a big sales tax.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate Disco > California Politics Thread: Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

natetimm posted:

The funny thing is if any of these people complaining about taxes actually could afford to own a home at current 400k+ prices, it's almost guaranteed to be because they also had some sort of "unfair advantage" earlier in their life. The convenient situation though is it's not a quantifiable asset like a house or a tax break so they get to act all smug and call people leeches and deadbeats in relative safety because they've already milked their advantage for all it's worth.

Cold hard cash has already been taxed, though.

Inheriting investments is usually preferable to money because it's taxed at a lower rate. Capital gains are taxed lower than income, and would be the biggest example. Steve Jobs took a $1 salary and a bunch of Apple stock. His heirs will just cash out those investments at a much lower rate than if he left them billions of dollars.

So I know where they're coming from. But I also get what you mean: If you can afford to buy a house, chances are that money you used also was taxed at a lower rate. Few people can afford these prices through salary alone.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

Inheriting investments is usually preferable to money because it's taxed at a lower rate.

Estate taxes actually go up to 39.6% on the federal level - there is no preferable capital gains rate on the estate tax since it isn't an income tax but rather a transfer tax. It's only cashing out said capital assets that gets preferable treatment, but even then, cash will never be taxable on disposal so cash is still preferable to capital assets in that regard.

Edit: The reason that the stock is preferable is due to the appreciation potential whereas cash is cash and doesn't change in amount.

Horseshoe theory fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 31, 2014

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ThirdPartyView posted:

Estate taxes actually go up to 39.6% on the federal level - there is no preferable capital gains rate on the estate tax since it isn't an income tax but rather a transfer tax. It's only cashing out said capital assets that gets preferable treatment, but even then, cash will never be taxable on disposal so cash is still preferable to capital assets in that regard.

Edit: The reason that the stock is preferable is due to the appreciation potential whereas cash is cash and doesn't change in amount.

It's unlikely that anyone will see the federal estate tax given how the exemption is up to 5 million dollars:

Also since this thread is the CA discussion, the state doesn't even have a state level estate tax.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

etalian posted:

It's unlikely that anyone will see the federal estate tax given how the exemption is up to 5 million dollars:

Well, the unified credit is for both lifetime and testamentary gifts combined (although you get to gift without any unified credit consequences $14,000/year/donee, so that further reduces the actual pool of potentially federally taxable estates to ~5,000 or ~7,000 (from what I remember seeing a year or so ago in a tax journal article)), but that also ignores the marital deduction and the portability of the unified credit (which means that any unused portion for a previously deceased spouse can be used by the estate of the second spouse, which means up to $10.4 million in unified credits could theoretically exist). Plus this ignores the various legal tax avoidance schemes such as GRATs and Family Limited Partnerships which Sheldon Adelson, et al use to entirely avoid the estate tax anyway.

etalian posted:

Also since this thread is the CA discussion, the state doesn't even have a state level estate tax.

Yeah, it's state-by-state (here in NY there's a $1 million exemption right now).

Horseshoe theory fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 31, 2014

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

FCKGW posted:

The Clippers aren't going anywhere, the team would be seriously devalued if it left the LA market.

He's been trying not buy a team in order to replace the sonics for a while. He made tries at the kings, the timberwolves... I'd fully expect him to move the Clippers. He doesn't give a poo poo about valuation.

quote:

They're almost guaranteed to get a name change and complete overhaul though. It's a perfect opportunity to shed the racist stink and terrible performance of the team of late. Rename them to the LA Riots or something.

Move them to the Lockheed area and name them the Stealth Ballmers.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ron Jeremy posted:

He's been trying not buy a team in order to replace the sonics for a while. He made tries at the kings, the timberwolves... I'd fully expect him to move the Clippers. He doesn't give a poo poo about valuation.

Balmer was recently kicked out of the only company he's ever run. He owes nothing to Seattle and has no reason to stay in the Pacific Northwest anymore. He's setting up camp in LA now and I doubt the team is moving anywhere.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Ron Jeremy posted:

No matter how few shits he gives, the other 29 owners give shits, and will not let him move one of the game's most valuable franchises, which also does not have its own home arena and thus is ripe for a taxpayer shakedown.

As an approved owner, Ballmer can trade teams with someone who owns a failing team somewhere else, and move that instead.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

FCKGW posted:

Balmer was recently kicked out of the only company he's ever run. He owes nothing to Seattle and has no reason to stay in the Pacific Northwest anymore. He's setting up camp in LA now and I doubt the team is moving anywhere.
A worthless rear end in a top hat that got rich by bullying people and has nothing to offer the world? OC or Beverly are the obvious choices.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

FRINGE posted:

A worthless rear end in a top hat that got rich by bullying people and has nothing to offer the world? OC or Beverly are the obvious choices.

This is my favorite feel good article about OC:
http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazing/2012/09/50_reasons_why_orange_county_is_the_worst_place_in_america.php

quote:

It was gay rights icon Harvey Milk who described Orange County best, in response to California State Senator John Briggs describing San Francisco as "the moral garbage dump of homosexuality in this country."

"Nobody likes garbage 'cause it smells," Milk told reporters. "Yet eight million tourists visited San Francisco last year. I wonder how many visited Fullerton."

etalian fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 1, 2014

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I lived in Fullerton for 29 years :saddowns:

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

FCKGW posted:

I still live in OC :sigh:

At least I don't have to commute on the 405 every day anymore, and I wish a quick, merciful death for anyone stuck driving on the 91 east into Riverside :smithicide:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Minarchist posted:

At least I don't have to commute on the 405 every day anymore, and I wish a quick, merciful death for anyone stuck driving on the 91 east into Riverside :smithicide:

just be glad you don't have a late night job in OC:
http://www.ocweekly.com/2007-02-08/news/illegally-park-ed/

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Hey we saved the state from losing the best hot sauce in America:

quote:

Brown was briefed several times on the progress of negotiations, the adviser said, though the governor’s office didn’t offer any specific incentives.
After the meetings, Breceda said he would drop the lawsuit. On Wednesday, the city council voted to kill the resolution labeling Huy Fong a public nuisance. Huy Fong said it would keep its Irwindale factory open and pumping out rooster sauce.

Source

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Hurray for hipster approved air pollutants

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

FCKGW posted:

Is it weird that I like it? It's based around rail tracks, and seems like a decent pick for living a transit-oriented lifestyle in a suburb. It's just not a place that's exciting to visit, hence the quote.

After years of being a resident of an early primary state which "matters" in picking things like establishing momentum for Presidential candidates, I feel like the only reason to vote in California is local representatives and statewide propositions. In Orange, you just chop off the first half of that. But even there, you can still lend your vote to causes like the great un-loving of redistricting.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Minarchist posted:

I've live in the inland empire for 3 years :saddowns:

But hey, affordable housing!

Craptacular! posted:

Is it weird that I like it? It's based around rail tracks, and seems like a decent pick for living a transit-oriented lifestyle in a suburb. It's just not a place that's exciting to visit, hence the quote.

It's actually has some history behind it which is why I think it's a cool city. The train station still has the original buildings, there are frescos painted on walls around the city, there's a cultural center and a museum and the downtown is a actual small town downtown with some buildings a century old and it has a university so you get some of the cool unique businesses that usually surround them. There's also large neighborhoods built from 1920-1950 so you have some older established neighborhoods and cool people who are into maintaining those areas.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

California already produces enough cock sauce as is in the san fernando valley.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Is this article bolded in this fashion to poke fun at celebrity gossip magazines?

I grew up in the Midwest and Fullerton is the midwestiest of LA suburbs I've ever seen.

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

whitey delenda est posted:

Is this article bolded in this fashion to poke fun at celebrity gossip magazines?

Not really, that's the house style for Proper Nouns at OC Weekly (actually, at almost every free alternative weekly in the US). It might have started as a gag somewhere, but it's completely unironic at this point.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

SporkOfTruth posted:

Not really, that's the house style for Proper Nouns at OC Weekly (actually, at almost every free alternative weekly in the US). It might have started as a gag somewhere, but it's completely unironic at this point.

I was soooort of interested to see if they were an in-house hashtagging method but nothing happened when I moused over or clicked any of them so... instead I just stopped reading halfway through. Get your cultural in-group signifiers here! All bolded, none left behind!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

whitey delenda est posted:

I grew up in the Midwest and Fullerton is the midwestiest of LA suburbs I've ever seen.

Yeah it's somewhat out of place when compared to other big cities such as LA, Oakland or SF.

pretty much the colorado springs of the state

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

They installed giant new air purifiers and the odors went away.

Also what doesn't get mentioned is that the residents complaining about the plant are a family of 4 people. Not some massive public outcry. Even after the plant installed the scrubbers and reading found zero issues in the air, they still complained.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
If closing the plant (or keeping it, or sending it to the loving moon) gets people to shut up about sugar filled hot sauce then good. People think they like 'spicy' food when all they are doing is pouring sugar on all their food.

Because out of everything going on in the world that loving mattered.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

FRINGE posted:

If closing the plant (or keeping it, or sending it to the loving moon) gets people to shut up about sugar filled hot sauce then good. People think they like 'spicy' food when all they are doing is pouring sugar on all their food.

All politics is local :shobon:

Also I like sriracha but I feel like the whole sugar thing is exactly why it became such a big screaming deal. Oh I can make my food spicy AND get fat? It's like the pinnacle of "I have boring American tastes but I SO DON'T HAVE BORING AMERICAN TASTES."

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Christ guys a lot of sauces have sugar in them. BBQ sauce is mostly sugar, ketchup is mostly sugar. Sriracha is a completely unextraordinary chili sauce, most of which have sugar in them. The amount you put on your food is generally not enough for the sugar to be making any loving difference in how fat you are, especially compared to how much sugar you're probably drinking daily.

Being angry about the sugar in Sriracha is about as dumb as being excited that you eat Sriracha. It's just chili sauce.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

FCKGW posted:

They installed giant new air purifiers and the odors went away.

Also what doesn't get mentioned is that the residents complaining about the plant are a family of 4 people. Not some massive public outcry. Even after the plant installed the scrubbers and reading found zero issues in the air, they still complained.

And the owner also said repeatedly he was never going to move anyway.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

FRINGE posted:

Sriracha has the same amount of sugar in it as ketchup (20%), and less than BBQ sauce (35%). If you like vinegar-based hot sauces like Tabasco, good for you, but don't think that you're doing some healthy alternative by pouring it on your cheese fries.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Kaal posted:

Sriracha has the same amount of sugar in it as ketchup (20%), and less than BBQ sauce (35%). If you like vinegar-based hot sauces like Tabasco, good for you, but don't think that you're doing some healthy alternative by pouring it on your cheese fries.
I think it is a stupid topic. (Since you semi-asked, I also think generic ketchup is full of sugar.)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Kaal posted:

You lost me when you implied all BBQs are the same amount of sugary. Stop buying KC, problem solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Besides, the Sriracha factory story only matters because of how aggressively Texas and Ted Cruz in particular were lobbying for the factory to move.