Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moola
Aug 16, 2006

This is actually pretty adorable.

He's just so excited about all that 30k :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
Honestly I'm willing to accept that the guy just google image searched "cool army skull" or something and went with the first result. I mean, it's clearly the Totenkopf skull there, but I wouldn't assume that dude is a full-retard Nazi based just off that.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
That'd be really lovely. Spend hours freehanding a cool skull only to have some random dude tell you you've just put a big NAZI sticker on your forehead.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
It's not though its a skull with a snake around it or it least it is for me, its difficult though because I don't see color.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I think that's definitely meant to be the Totenkopf skull.

JerryLee posted:

I know you're a pretty GW-positive person in these threads, relatively speaking anyway, so I'm not surprised, but you have much more faith in them than me if you think that adding the ability back in via charging $6 for the rules of a "Tyrannic War Vanguard Veterans" or some poo poo is something they would not do.

That's not to say they will do it, the roulette wheel at GW HQ might never land that way, but if they do get the bug in their ear to do it, I don't see what about their recent actions would give you the idea that any sort of logical consistency or game design principles will be a barrier to them doing it.

Have you considered that perhaps you're too GW-negative?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Snakes don't have split tails. The 'eyes' you're seeing is a way to try to add effect but it looks a lot more like like the Totenkopf than 'a skull that is arbitrarily cracked with a snake (???) behind it'.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

ANAmal.net posted:

Honestly I'm willing to accept that the guy just google image searched "cool army skull" or something and went with the first result. I mean, it's clearly the Totenkopf skull there, but I wouldn't assume that dude is a full-retard Nazi based just off that.

Can I interest you in an Ork flyer w/ Iron Cross?

http://www.frontlinegaming.org/portfolio-items/dakka-jet-with-goff-rockers/ :orks101:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yea, still just see a Skull with a Snake, okay that last one is pretty obviously a Skull and a Snake.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

As far as I'm aware they haven't said he's limited edition or exclusive, so I'd expect to see it available on it's own, or a variant of it, shortly.

Edit: Also, that Knight has his blast shield on upside down. And the highlighting is poo poo.

Yea, but I don't think they ever said the plastic Chaplain that comes with the command squad + Razorback was exclusive when he is.

Totenkopf were first used by Prussian Hussars because it looked scary and went well with their all black uniforms, and it remained the symbol of Cavalry through out the remains of the Kingdom of Prussia and the later German Empire. Panzor Corps inherited it as Cavalry was phased out, but the Waffen-SS adopted it because it was scary and bad rear end. This lead to a number of Panzer crew being executed by the Russians upon capture because they also wore black uniforms and the Russians had standing orders to execute any Waffen-SS or other SS formations they captured because gently caress those guys.

99% of people who would paint it on a model would have seen it from an SS uniform though and thought it was scary and bad rear end.

Pretty much any ancient symbol that the Nazis used is forever tainted and should never be painted on a model.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

What if the Swastika goes to the left, that's like a Reverse Swastika.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Stormfrontline Gaming

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Have you considered that perhaps you're too GW-negative?

Not usually, but I just did, and decided that nope, I'm not. When they do something decent, I'll reassess my viewpoint. I mean, it's not like I've been this GW-negative for my entire career as a consumer of tiny plastic persons.

Hollismason posted:

What if the Swastika goes to the left, that's like a Reverse Swastika.

This swastika negativity is putting a real cramp on my homebrew Hindu chapter, I tell you what.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

AgentF posted:

Stormfrontline Gaming

http://www.frontlinegaming.org/portfolio-items/40k-white-scars-space-marines/

That's fine, I guess.

They really put the White in White Scars.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Forging a Narrative : Being not quiet racist.

What's wrong with that guys face?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
It says pretty clearly in the wiki article you linked that totemkompf just means "deathshead" as used by pirates, old prussian units, nazis, some american troops, pretty sure other military units (especially special forces) etc. I'd give them benefit of the doubt rather than rolling out my 'Jump to Conclusions' mat straight away.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Obviously the profits from Frontlinegaming go to supporting White Supremacist Separatist who wish to overthrow the government and install a new Reich.

The evidence is pretty damning.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I will accept that you are using a Hindu swastika if you can produce one letter from a Professor of Hindu studies and sworn statements from at least 3 Brahmin priests proving you are using it correctly.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

starkebn posted:

It says pretty clearly in the wiki article you linked that totemkompf just means "deathshead" as used by pirates, old prussian units, nazis, some american troops, pretty sure other military units (especially special forces) etc. I'd give them benefit of the doubt rather than rolling out my 'Jump to Conclusions' mat straight away.

Hey man, take a look at the tail of the flyer on the above link, tell me what you think.

Actually, moved it to Imgur.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

starkebn posted:

Well, they literally copied the exact same death's head symbol used by the SS. That's a smoking gun right there. There still exists a tiny possibility that they just googled death's head and picked the first one they saw without paying attention to its context, but I don't think you have to give them the benefit of the doubt given how incredibly specific that is, any more than in the nazi-vs.-hindu swastika case.

It isn't like this guy painted a jolly roger and people are jumping on it saying 'well the SS also used skulls and bones.'

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Raphus C posted:

You should know all the recognisable symbols of fascism so that you know when to be offended you're talking to a loving fascist.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The White Schutzstaffelcars.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Once was "yeah that's maybe a coincidence", twice made me laugh in that "fuuuuuck" kind of way. Three times makes me sad.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I'm willing to give this guy the benefit of the doubt. Yes, historically "SS" has stood for the Schutzstaffel but for all we know, the reason his Storm Talons have an "SS" emblem could be because his marines are from the "Supercharged Silverados" Chapter. It doesn't mean this guy's a complete racist and hates jews or whatever.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Game$ Work$hop Sucks - check
Eldar Rape Diorama - check
Black-skinned Salamanders - check
Fascist Symbol Discussion - check

What else are we missing in this thread?

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

krushgroove posted:

Vomit Marines? :vomarine:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

OB_Juan posted:

Vomit Marines? :vomarine:

Best purchase I've ever made.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
okay fine, this particular guy may be a fascist cockhead, I'll make sure to do a full background check of any and all paintjobs an opponent of mine might have done up to and including the forces in front me before playing from now on.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

ghetto wormhole posted:

That'd be really lovely. Spend hours freehanding a cool skull only to have some random dude tell you you've just put a big NAZI sticker on your forehead.

I'm going start doing this against every army I play, regardless of their iconography or if they even have any.

This actually kind of owns. If anything, I take issue with the rock band playing on top of a jet. C'mon, that just doesn't make any sense.

AgentF posted:

Stormfrontline Gaming

:thurman:

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
They are an army of "supermen" who follow a "dictator" who is subject to a cult and have committed genocide countless times. Space Marines are fascists. Stop trying to whitewash future history. Those paint jobs are incisive commentary regarding how easily we dismiss the crimes of forces who are alleged to fight for our side.

You have all fallen for imperial propaganda.

First they came for the psykers and I said nothing for I am not a psyker...

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

AgentF posted:

Stormfrontline Gaming

Goddamn.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

My favorite part about those Nazi Astartes is that they're White Scars. Which are basically a bunch of speed freak space mongols.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

As far as I'm aware they haven't said he's limited edition or exclusive, so I'd expect to see it available on it's own, or a variant of it, shortly.

Edit: Also, that Knight has his blast shield on upside down. And the highlighting is poo poo.

He isn't limited edition and they have even said this is the only way to get him "for now". I'm trying to find where that was on their site but I am pressed for time at the moment.

That's the owner of Blue Table painting (Sean? I think his name is..). He runs around all Adepticon just filming stuff and pressing palms to get people to have his company paint their stuff. Truth be told he is always quite friendly and nice - I just don't think the quality his company provides is worth the prices they charge.

Ghost Hand fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 1, 2014

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Clueless? Nice hate speech, cishet scum. He actually calls a set of models, "So handsome!" He's adorable.

*Sees army of dickbikes. "I'm going to say a big yes to that!" :gay:

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

krushgroove posted:

Home brew rules for power rangers.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

AndyElusive posted:

My favorite part about those Nazi Astartes is that they're White Scars. Which are basically a bunch of speed freak space mongols.

This comes full circle because Mongolian nationalist groups have adopted Nazi aesthetics. It really is brilliant commentary. :v:

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

ghetto wormhole posted:

Best purchase I've ever made.

Thank you, thank you for your service. :911:

Sweetie, it's modeled to look like The Red Baron.

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jun 2, 2014

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The Red Waaaghron.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

quote:

skull chat
Come on, I can't believe no one posted this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn1VxaMEjRU

As for swastikas, unless it's a historical German/Finnish army with the markings in correct places (that means e.g. tiny swastikas on plane tails not ALL SWASTIKAS ALL THE TIME), I'd say no I don't want to play against that. Fortunately those kinds of armies are simply not allowed at tournaments here in Poland.

Also, my first reaction was "did someone put the SS Totenkopf emblem on a knight?" The only non-Nazi explanation I can sthink of is that someone wanted skull & crossbones and that was an easily-available decal to trace (still idiotic).

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 2, 2014

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Dakkajet is the best flyer model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobFromMarketing
Jul 28, 2007

by Ralp
Alright so in my time looking at the Necron rules I have come across the synaptic disintegrator which has a strength of X. What exactly does that X mean? Is the strength variable? Does it always wound on a certain number? I really need to get the main rulebook :vomarine:

• Locked thread