Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Exactly which controls do you imagine them having to use on that touchscreen during the few minutes they're spending at high G?

If nothing goes wrong? None of them. If something goes wrong? All of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 349 days!
I am EXTREMELY experienced in building rocket ships from my time spent playing Kerbal Space Program so I had better call up these honest-to-god rocket scientists to point out their amateur mistakes.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

^^Exactly. The idea that SpaceX and NASA might not have considered and accounted for any of those issues is one of the single most absurd things I've read in this forum.

Slavvy posted:

Wait, trunk release?? I'm assuming it means something different in space parlance.

It does not mean something different in space parlance. The Dragon has externally accessible unpressurized cargo bays in the rear of the ship. What else would you call them?

Edit: vvvv Did some Googling, turns out the "Trunk" is the service module part of the ship, (that includes the external cargo bays) so it's actually used in the sense of a tree trunk or human torso rather than a car trunk. vvvv

Theris fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jun 1, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

"Cargo bay"?

edit: that makes a lot more sense and isn't retarded, sweet!

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jun 1, 2014

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Theris posted:

^^Exactly. The idea that SpaceX and NASA might not have considered and accounted for any of those issues is one of the single most absurd things I've read in this forum.

Well you see I generally have to hold down the 'a' key for around 30 seconds when I reach 10,000m altitude, and I don't see how you can use a capacitive touch screen argle blargle blargle

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
http://www.instructables.com/id/Increase-your-fuel-Mileage-50Pressurized-air-Disso/?ALLSTEPS

Terrible car stuff, troll or budding serial killer?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Oil companies hate him!

so we have metal shavings in the gas tank, air/fumes being forced through the evap canister instead of sitting in the tank. an additional power draw on the engine, and most cars these days would add more fuel to correct the a/f ratio.

Sounds like a recipe for 60mpg, assuming the car ends up being towed for half the journey and you don't count fuel burned by the tow truck.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

This is probably just My Bigotry but I have a Hard Time taking Someone seriously when They don't have even the Loosest Grasp of Grammar or Punctuation (or even Capitalization).

Fattig
Oct 10, 2012

Powershift posted:

The dumbest part is that it's facing inward. But whatever you have to tell yourself to smell like cow poo poo for your entire life.

Heard of mirrors?

Also; saw this thing the other day (in glorious :sweden: if you can believe it). Did the techs at Toyota have a bad flashback and decide to stretch the Lexus SC?

Not worse than a Murano conv. though.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Fattig posted:

Heard of mirrors?

Wrong mirroring? My brain is farting.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Fattig posted:

Also; saw this thing the other day (in glorious :sweden: if you can believe it). Did the techs at Toyota have a bad flashback and decide to stretch the Lexus SC?

That's a pretty standard (if boring) Camry Solara. Out a few years before the SC430; 1998 in fact. Basically just a convertible Camry.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Even leaving aside all the nonsense about dissolved gases and so on... Doesn't the pressure relief on a fuel tank, via the cap etc, normally act at about 2psi?

I love it when people take a given principle or idea, and then use that to handwave a load of bullshit. It's like the HHO kits - actually, yes, adding hydrogen to a petrol engine's combustion does increase thermal efficiency, and this is a perfectly reasonable thing to do, backed up by published research carried out under controlled conditions. This does not mean you can stick some electrodes in a pickle jar of tap water, connect them to your battery, and run your car on the hydrogen generated.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

InitialDave posted:

This does not mean you can stick some electrodes in a pickle jar of tap water, connect them to your battery, and run your car on the hydrogen generated.

Let me guess, you too have heard people seriously try to argue that this would work, and get angry at you when you tell them why it won't.

(mine was some nutball convinced that the only reason this had not happened long ago was a giant conspiracy funded by Big Oil, so there was no reaching him -- anything you said which contradicted his pet theory was just evidence that you were getting paid too)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

BobHoward posted:

( anything you said which contradicted his pet theory was just evidence that you were getting paid too)

They're paying you?! Well, poo poo. Who do I gotta talk to?

Had a co-worker at my engineering job that kept coming up with perpetual motion machines. And kept trying to come up with get rich quick schemes on the Internet despite being shocked when he saw me program very simple html (literally asked "how'd you do that?" when I created a hyperlink one time).

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Dropped on His Head as an Childs :downswords:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Fattig posted:

One of my coworkers has one (non-convertible 2003 model year). It's literally a Camry Coupe - it replaced the actual Camry 2 door, and lives on as a submodel as the Camry.

The non-convertible isn't a bad car - it's just boring. Dead reliable though.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jun 1, 2014

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
The first gen Solara isn't a terrible looking car as far as late 90s Toyotas go, but the second gen is just awful. It's got like 2 feet of overhang in the rear which makes the bulbous rear end look even worse.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Only got these 2 pics as the owner was walking towards me, but it seemed gaudy enough for the thread. The rear end and inside had more black vinyl on it. The guy had two popped-collar polos on too, bluetooth in, smacking his gum, aura of the most important person in the world. Sorry if they're kinda potato quality, my phone is butt.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012

He might kill someone when he discovers what pressures modern fuel injection systems already work at.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I used to think the Murano Crosscabriolet was fairly rare but I guess not because now I see enough of them a week that I've just stopped posting them.

That or I'm the AI Patron Saint of Murano Convertibles. :v:

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

cheese-cube posted:

I'm more worried about the clock-drift between the left and right panels :ohdear:

Time diliation, of course! :derp:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Wasabi the J posted:

Conetent from my daily travels

TITI ``CUBA

Dammit Beavis, it's TITICACA :argh:

Fattig
Oct 10, 2012

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Out a few years before the SC430.

That is what i get for not using wikipedia :pseudo:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BobHoward posted:

Let me guess, you too have heard people seriously try to argue that this would work, and get angry at you when you tell them why it won't.

(mine was some nutball convinced that the only reason this had not happened long ago was a giant conspiracy funded by Big Oil, so there was no reaching him -- anything you said which contradicted his pet theory was just evidence that you were getting paid too)
My problem is trying to explain why yes, it is a real thing, and it does work, but not in that way or with that kit you bought off Ebay. For £400.

You don't get an argument as such, more a "does not compute" repetition of "but it does work because SCIENCE". :suicide:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I once had an idiot ex-friend, while drunk, come up with an excellent idea for powering cars.

You know you storms make lightning, and lightning has a shitload of power in it, right?

Well, just get a suitable container, and make a miniature thunderstorm in it to power the car with electricity!

I wasted about a half hour trying to explain why that wouldn't work (I was also drunk) before just telling him to piss off.

STORM POWER!

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Why is this in the terrible car stuff thread, you wonder?

:stare:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Fucknag posted:

STORM POWER!

:colbert:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Kenshin posted:

If that guy built it: That's awesome.
If that guy bought it: That's terrible.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Is that some hyper-miling poo poo or what.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Um if you actually watched the movie you'd know they used the aforementioned full-size lightning, not the canned lightning dipshit was describing.

Swoosh, straight into the endzone as the checkered flag waves. Checkmate. :smug:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

soot tune and stacks towing a trailer. The top half of the trailer was dirty from soot and looked terrible. The a/c unit on top of the trailer was almost black, that entire thing must stink when he fires up the a/c.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Powershift posted:

that entire thing must stink when he fires up the a/c.

Smells like freedom, you mean.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Uthor posted:

Smells like freedom, you mean.

sweet cancerous freedom.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Today there was a black charger with green stripes and green halo lights around the headlights and fog lights behind me. He revved the poo poo out of it going through a tunnel, but couldn't keep up around the curved onramp onto the freeway. Then blew by me and a spot that is frequently a speed trap once he got on the interstate. That reminds me that I should to take off my snow tires. I did actually need them like 2 weeks ago.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

InitialDave posted:

My problem is trying to explain why yes, it is a real thing, and it does work, but not in that way or with that kit you bought off Ebay. For £400.

You don't get an argument as such, more a "does not compute" repetition of "but it does work because SCIENCE". :suicide:

Like the article says, CHECK THE PHYSICS. :colbert:

Kenshin posted:

My jaw dropped. So many questions, all with answers that just don't make sense.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Slavvy posted:

My jaw dropped. So many questions, all with answers that just don't make sense.

I think that's the first picture I've ever seen that's demonstrably *not* a product of Photoshop, but really really really really looks like it is.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Night Danger Moose posted:

Only got these 2 pics as the owner was walking towards me, but it seemed gaudy enough for the thread. The rear end and inside had more black vinyl on it. The guy had two popped-collar polos on too, bluetooth in, smacking his gum, aura of the most important person in the world. Sorry if they're kinda potato quality, my phone is butt.

I've seen a Nissan Sentra and a Dodge Caliber within the last week done up the same way... silver with flat black on the roof and on the hood, from the A pillar to the grill. This must be A Thing.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

Neptr posted:

I've seen a Nissan Sentra and a Dodge Caliber within the last week done up the same way... silver with flat black on the roof and on the hood, from the A pillar to the grill. This must be A Thing.

I believe Bentley will do that for you from the factory. But I have seen a Huyandai Sonata done up like this.

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

And the Itsy Bitsy Spider
went up the spout again.

Maybe it's just because they're the two easiest panels to wrap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Chinatown posted:

Is that some hyper-miling poo poo or what.

Three wheels makes it a motorcycle, which means he can ride in the HOV/commuter lanes without a passenger in many places. Probably not why he did it though.