Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Roommate freshman year lived in the town by his house in Maine. Said he was a normal guy and that his kids were pretty nice and well rounded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
One time on his tumblr Joe Hill linked to a blog post I wrote about NOS4A2 SO HE'S A COOL GUY IN MY BOOK.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

What should I read first, Desperation or The Regulators?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Desperation.

Then read Desperation again instead of Regulators once.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

oldpainless posted:

Desperation.

I'm following a reading list for the Dark Tower (as I've never read it) and it's got both of them on there, so I'm doing both.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

Desperation.

I liked Desperation so I have to agree with this post but some people have found comedy value in Regulators so eventually read that. Or don't.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

tak

tak en lah

I read them Desperation > Regulators, and I'd be curious to see the reactions of someone going the other way.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

tak

tak en lah

I read them Desperation > Regulators, and I'd be curious to see the reactions of someone going the other way.

We've had this discussion a few times in here. It seems like whichever gets read first is that person's preference.

I prefer Regulators, because it's loving weird, and it's the one I read first. Desperation is rather dry and bland in comparison.

If I were going the other way around, I'd probably think it was batshit loony, but not in a good way.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I actually like Regulators more despite reading it second. There's a lot more hosed up poo poo going on, though Desperation is a lot more depravedly Kingish.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

...hosed up poo poo...
Was that intentional?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
re: guns
guns are totally totemic mystical objects. They're tools designed explicitly to kill. That's kind of hosed up. Yeah, you can kill someone with an axe or baseball bat or carving knife. Like any tool they're only as moral as their wielder.

A scythe exists only to mow grass or harvest grain. It is not useful for any other task.
A handgun exists only to kill another person.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
I read Regulators first, but then recognized Desperation as the superior book. I suggest going in the same order because it's more fun to go from okay to good than the other way around.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

woodenchicken posted:

I read Regulators first, but then recognized Desperation as the superior book. I suggest going in the same order because it's more fun to go from okay to good than the other way around.
Agreed. Desperation was way more King, I won't lie, the characters may have been standard King stereotypes but they are done (IMHO) extremely well. It is embarrassing to admit this, but the ending stuff was poignant and it resonated with me. It also contains one of the best lines he's ever written:

As well as I can remember it:
Delivered to the little miracle God boy who just wants to die because his whole family has been slaughtered in the worst ways, but the writer character has other plans and predicts and prevents the boy's death-wish: "God is cruel, sometimes he makes you live."

That poo poo choked me up, bad.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 07:21 on May 28, 2014

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Was talking to a friend about sci fi stuff and King came up.

Remembered that this exists:

http://vimeo.com/62844399

And Dr. Faustus, there are some things about Desperation that are darker than even Dolores Claiborne. To me, anyways. Worse than Gerald's Game.

The scene with the guy driving the rental van for *author insert* wanting to gently caress the hitchhiker was just the epitome of desperation in that we're all made of flesh and blood and would probably be willing to get down with scorpions, coyotes and tarantulas sometimes because.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Okay so I hadn't finished the Jaunt video, they completely disregarded everything that a lot of people in this thread have said they found horrifying there.

Apologies.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

re: guns

A handgun exists only to kill another person.
gently caress, I've been using mine all wrong all these years then.

In all seriousness, can we not drag this poo poo in here?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

syscall girl posted:

Was talking to a friend about sci fi stuff and King came up.

Remembered that this exists:

http://vimeo.com/62844399

And Dr. Faustus, there are some things about Desperation that are darker than even Dolores Claiborne. To me, anyways. Worse than Gerald's Game.

The scene with the guy driving the rental van for *author insert* wanting to gently caress the hitchhiker was just the epitome of desperation in that we're all made of flesh and blood and would probably be willing to get down with scorpions, coyotes and tarantulas sometimes because.

Actually, I'm pretty sure the author on the Harley was the *author insert* and the guy driving the van was just an average male white dude driving the big truck. I am not saying his motivation was the same, but King made a pretty solid effort into showing that guy's inner conflict about doing a teenager.

E: I need to be more clear:
The author self insert didn't want to gently caress the chick from Rose Madder. It was the roadie hire who thought about it, and even then it was the influence of Tak's icons that made them almost not just gently caress but also murder each other.

Otherwise the guy and the punk girl could have resisted much more easily.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 10:23 on May 28, 2014

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

iostream.h posted:

gently caress, I've been using mine all wrong all these years then.

In all seriousness, can we not drag this poo poo in here?

You first.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Dr. Faustus posted:

Actually, I'm pretty sure the author on the Harley was the *author insert* and the guy driving the van was just an average male white dude driving the big truck. I am not saying his motivation was the same, but King made a pretty solid effort into showing that guy's inner conflict about doing a teenager.

E: I need to be more clear:
The author self insert didn't want to gently caress the chick from Rose Madder. It was the roadie hire who thought about it, and even then it was the influence of Tak's icons that made them almost not just gently caress but also murder each other.

Otherwise the guy and the punk girl could have resisted much more easily.

I think I misremembered it based on the tv movie. Or just entirely got it wrong and it was that way in the USA show as well as the book. It was my second re-read of the book that gave me the chills though. Really just throwing sex and death into a blender and our innate self-destructive nature. I might have been reading a lot into it based on where my life was just then, I dunno.

From what I've tasted of desire I'd have to say that King gets that stuff really right. Blame it or credit it on whatever part of his brain made him an addict for so long.

And since I always bag on him for terrible rambling poo poo with a bad ending, Desperation actually ended pretty well.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Random question that popped into my head. A hundred years after King dies, do you think people will ever read his books much?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

blue squares posted:

Random question that popped into my head. A hundred years after King dies, do you think people will ever read his books much?

There will be a bunch of questions on Jeopardy about him and people will have to think back to the Cliffs Notes to get the references, much like Dickens today.

Or maybe he'll be treated more like a Russian author that nobody reads anymore because he's very moralistic and super long-winded and people thinking of snobbing it up will want to read the non-translated versions but then just become exasperated and pretend they always knew who wrote The Government Inspector because wikipedia is inside their brains at this point.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

blue squares posted:

Honestly, he's one of the few contemporary writers that'll probably still be read--not because he's a "master of horror" or whatever, but because he's cornered his own little part in late 20th/early 21st century American Naturalism. His work spans four decades (maybe even five, if he keeps on) and a lot of it catches the popular culture, if not the zeitgeist, of the time in which he wrote. Take a look at It (specifically, Adrian Mellon's chapter and 1980's views on homosexuality) or The Tommyknockers (Gard and nuclear power) and compare the America in those books to the Bush-era hyper-partisan feeling of Under the Dome. You can see how much the country's changed in the last thirty years. (Incidentally, Dr. Sleep had the potential to really nail that change, since it spans such a large time, but King really fumbled the ball on that one and decided to throw Game of Thrones references in instead.)

So, if only for that reason, I'll think he'll find a place in some upper-level literature courses, especially those with a basis in New Historicism. Like Dickens, a lot of his stuff will go forgotten--sort of a side effect of being prolific; you always have more than a few turds--but his best books and short stories will probably have lasting value.

Edit: And On Writing will probably be a college textbook for Creative Writing classes for years to come. I designed a class around it last semester, and it was hugely successful.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 13:41 on May 29, 2014

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

3Romeo posted:

Honestly, he's one of the few contemporary writers that'll probably still be read--not because he's a "master of horror" or whatever, but because he's cornered his own little part in late 20th/early 21st century American Naturalism. His work spans four decades (maybe even five, if he keeps on) and a lot of it catches the popular culture, if not the zeitgeist, of the time in which he wrote. Take a look at It (specifically, Adrian Mellon's chapter and 1980's views on homosexuality) or The Tommyknockers (Gard and nuclear power) and compare the America in those books to the Bush-era hyper-partisan feeling of Under the Dome. You can see how much the country's changed in the last thirty years. (Incidentally, Dr. Sleep had the potential to really nail that change, since it spans such a large time, but King really fumbled the ball on that one and decided to throw Game of Thrones references in instead.)

So, if only for that reason, I'll think he'll find a place in some upper-level literature courses, especially those designed around New Historicism. Like Dickens, a lot of his stuff will go forgotten--sort of a side effect of being prolific; you always have more than a few turds--but his best books and short stories will probably have lasting value.

Edit: And On Writing will probably be a college textbook for Creative Writing classes for years to come. I designed a class around it last semester, and it was hugely successful.

The semi-colon in the sentence preceding your edit about On Writing was pretty good. I'd take the class.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Stupid question, but it's been killing me -- where did the "beep beep, jealous cow" thread title come from? I don't get the reference and I've read a lot of King.

Maybe something I've repressed?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Damo posted:

Stupid question, but it's been killing me -- where did the "beep beep, jealous cow" thread title come from? I don't get the reference and I've read a lot of King.

Maybe something I've repressed?

Repression is definitely a factor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMsiWsce8s0

Jealous Cow is a poster in this thread.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Can I just mention how much I'm enjoying Dark Tower so far? I'm about halfway through the Wastelands and it's awesome. I hope everyone is wrong about the ending sucking.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

TheJoker138 posted:

Can I just mention how much I'm enjoying Dark Tower so far? I'm about halfway through the Wastelands and it's awesome. I hope everyone is wrong about the ending sucking.

A lot of the dissapointment is about waiting so long for it, and also about some parts of Song Of Sussanah being a bit poo poo.

I loved it when I read it (E: Song of Sussanah), but that cliffhanger ending doesn't hold up nearly as well when you can just grab the next book. It does have an amazing gunfight, though.

I'm surprised Mr. Mercedes is out this week, I kept thinking it would be out later in the summer.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
On Facebook there's this thing where characters from his books are introducing a character from his new book; it's weird because it feels like they're saying "Hey, remember when he was good? Remember? He's got a new book comin' out!"
And even if it's poo poo, it's Stephen King, so why would his publishers/publicists be worried enough to advertise the new book in this fashion? Is it THAT lovely?
Hope not. :(

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Quad posted:

On Facebook there's this thing where characters from his books are introducing a character from his new book; it's weird because it feels like they're saying "Hey, remember when he was good? Remember? He's got a new book comin' out!"
And even if it's poo poo, it's Stephen King, so why would his publishers/publicists be worried enough to advertise the new book in this fashion? Is it THAT lovely?
Hope not. :(

I'm sure some brave goon will buy it the moment it comes out and tell us how it is.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
Just finished my first read of 'salem's Lot. Gotta say it's one of my favorites. Especially reading it after inadvertently absorbing all the stupid vampire poo poo in pop culture these days.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

smertrioslol posted:

Just finished my first read of 'salem's Lot. Gotta say it's one of my favorites. Especially reading it after inadvertently absorbing all the stupid vampire poo poo in pop culture these days.

Maybe he'll do a modern update to it one of these days.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

smertrioslol posted:

I'm happy to say that it's one of the books I still have to read. I know I've got something to look forward to.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Are ya gonna come quietly, or am I gonna have to muss ya up?

juliuspringle posted:

I'm sure some brave goon will buy it the moment it comes out and tell us how it is.

I'm planning to download it tomorrow, I'll try to remember to tell you about it.

And that FaceBook thing, it's probably not that his publishers are worried, it's just that marketing departments are paid to come out with "new" ways to advertise on social media and sometimes the things they come up with suck. I'm sure his new books all have a huge marketing budget; gotta spend that money somewhere, even if it means hiring dumbasses with stupid ideas sometimes.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Pheeets posted:

I'm planning to download it tomorrow, I'll try to remember to tell you about it.

And that FaceBook thing, it's probably not that his publishers are worried, it's just that marketing departments are paid to come out with "new" ways to advertise on social media and sometimes the things they come up with suck. I'm sure his new books all have a huge marketing budget; gotta spend that money somewhere, even if it means hiring dumbasses with stupid ideas sometimes.

i'm getting my copy around 1:00 tomorrow.
I am looking forward to it.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I loved SK in high school and read every single book he'd written until around 1996 or so, then stopped reading his books after I managed to finish up the dark tower and disliked most of the last few books.

One of the problems was that I hadn't read hearts in atlantis or whatever, and barely remembered Salem's Lot. Has anyone read the entire dark tower series along with all of the reference books? I need to read, mostly, insomnia, hearts in atlantis, regulators, desparation, everything's eventual, and re-read salem's lot. I've already read the stand, talisman, eye of the dragon and all of his earlier books. I just re-read dark tower 1-4 and loved them, and want to do all the reading to help enjoy the last ones, which I didn't do before.

http://honkmahfah.blogspot.com/2012/04/dark-tower-suggested-reading-order-for.html

There's a sequel to the talisman! Is it any good?

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

redreader posted:

I loved SK in high school and read every single book he'd written until around 1996 or so, then stopped reading his books after I managed to finish up the dark tower and disliked most of the last few books.

One of the problems was that I hadn't read hearts in atlantis or whatever, and barely remembered Salem's Lot. Has anyone read the entire dark tower series along with all of the reference books? I need to read, mostly, insomnia, hearts in atlantis, regulators, desparation, everything's eventual, and re-read salem's lot. I've already read the stand, talisman, eye of the dragon and all of his earlier books. I just re-read dark tower 1-4 and loved them, and want to do all the reading to help enjoy the last ones, which I didn't do before.

http://honkmahfah.blogspot.com/2012/04/dark-tower-suggested-reading-order-for.html

its biggest contribution was that it explained what "Breakers" did.
it's biggest flaw is that it took The Talisman, and tried to bridge the gap to The Dark Tower.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

redreader posted:

Insomnia's basically irrelevant and you can skip it if you find yourself bored. I can't think of a reason you'd need to read either Regulators or Desperation to fully appreciate DT 5-7 but maybe there is some small detail that links them. Hearts in Atlantis and Everything's Eventual are definitely connected though.

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off
I'm about two thirds of the way through Mr. Mercedes, and it's crackling right asking. Not a lot of extra fat on the narrative and - no spoilers- not a single magical retard in sight.

Still plenty of time for King to screw it up at the end, but...somehow, it doesn't feel like this story grinds to a halt, so far. Will update tonight when I'm in front of a proper keyboard so I can type in longhand and use spoiler tags and have finished the book.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Jazerus posted:

Insomnia's basically irrelevant and you can skip it if you find yourself bored. I can't think of a reason you'd need to read either Regulators or Desperation to fully appreciate DT 5-7 but maybe there is some small detail that links them. Hearts in Atlantis and Everything's Eventual are definitely connected though.

Thanks! I've heard Insomnia's bad so I'll skip that. I do remember the guy from Salem's Lot featuring heavily so I'll read that, and I want to read regulators/desparation anyway, and the other 2 you mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Aquarium Gravel posted:

I'm about two thirds of the way through Mr. Mercedes, and it's crackling right asking. Not a lot of extra fat on the narrative and - no spoilers- not a single magical retard in sight.

Still plenty of time for King to screw it up at the end, but...somehow, it doesn't feel like this story grinds to a halt, so far. Will update tonight when I'm in front of a proper keyboard so I can type in longhand and use spoiler tags and have finished the book.

Yeah, I'm halfway through so far and it's an excellent book. Mr. Mercedes almost feels like a Bachman protagonist who's gone full villain.