Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mide
Jun 2, 2009
I don't think the mountain actually bashed his head in. I figured it to be one of two scenarios. The most basic being he literally crushed his skull within his hands. The other was he grappled the inside of Oberyn's eye sockets with his thumbs and ripped outward. Why am I visualizing this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Oh my god that was amazing.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
http://youtu.be/Wdys79NpMLM

I dunno

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

robot roll call posted:

I do hope Tyrion gets out of it somehow though because this is a lesser show without Peter Dinklage.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say there's no loving way Tyrion is going to die this season.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Well, hopefully his leave from the show won't affect his relationship with Lena Headey.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Supersonic Shine posted:

To not play and to not get caught up in the schemes of those who do, which is actually pretty difficult.

Don't play the game, don't get caught in the schemes of others, don't live during a time of war.

Graviija
Apr 26, 2008

Implied, Lisa...or implode?
College Slice

Innocuous posted:

Can't recall TV ever bringing on a wave of actual nausea in me before.
Yeah, I uh...I kind of wish I hadn't of watched that bit.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I for one am interested in seeing Sansa in this new Maleficent phase of hers.

Fun fact: Go back and rewatch last week's scene with Tyrion and Bronn. Bronn pretty much gives the exact play-by-play on how the fight pans out.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I enjoyed Pycelle getting played off with music like some rambling starlet at the Oscars.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

God drat those screams :stonk:

Yeah the screams make it so much worse. Especially Oberyn's toothless scream

Innocuous
Mar 1, 2003

It's a strange world.

So at least the Mountain is dead, right guys? :unsmith:

(please be right)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Better version of that scene:

http://youtu.be/8t4pmlHRokg

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Mide posted:

I don't think the mountain actually bashed his head in. I figured it to be one of two scenarios. The most basic being he literally crushed his skull within his hands. The other was he grappled the inside of Oberyn's eye sockets with his thumbs and ripped outward. Why am I visualizing this?

The only depressing thing about that episode is I want another one right now, but next week is the penultimate one and is probably going to be just about the fight at the wall, just like Blackwater was. So the aftermath won't be until two weeks :(

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ballz posted:

Fun fact: Go back and rewatch last week's scene with Tyrion and Bronn. Bronn pretty much gives the exact play-by-play on how the fight pans out.

Bronn is loving smart, yo.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Needs this appended to it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtFmFJgmmIs

Innocuous
Mar 1, 2003

It's a strange world.

On further reflection, this sort of reminded me of the knife scene from Saving Private Ryan in terms of the sheer unpleasantness.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

ironlung posted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say there's no loving way Tyrion is going to die this season.

Who knows though. As a non book reader this show has ingrained on me that anyone can die at any loving time and gently caress you if you liked them. And I kind of like it that way.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Ballz posted:

Also let's not forget the Hound, Gregor's brother, finding Arya practicing a sort of martial arts like he was using, and him saying that she'll definitely get killed "if you nonce about like that."

I think that was his wording.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Ballz posted:

Someone needs to splice the relevant bits of that conversation between into the fight as it progresses. Bronn says "I guess I could jump around for a bit," then it cuts to Oberyn dodging Gregor for a while, "get a hit in here or there" it cuts to the stabs, "but one wrong move and I get my head smashed in" and it cuts to, well...

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Raserys posted:

Well, hopefully his leave from the show won't affect his relationship with Lena Headey.

Apparently it has :(

pascal, from a reddit AMA earlier this week posted:

Lena is one of my favorite persons. And she (in life) is so funny and so smart, such a good person, a good friend and a good mother, I think everyone on that set and anyone who comes in contact with her develops an instant crush. Talk about male or female, you're going to get a crush on her easy. And I was just lucky that I got to work with her and hit it off and continue being friends.

UGH this is why I don't get invested in strangers' personal lives.

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007
Jamie and Tyrion talking about special ed cousins and beetles owned- Peter Dinklage was pretty amazing in that scene given the odd dialogue.

Oberyn going :psyboom: pretty much sums up this show, along with Arya getting all :laffo: about a dead aunt.

Looking forward to more goth Sansa as she starts playing ball like everyone else on the show.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Innocuous posted:

On further reflection, this sort of reminded me of the knife scene from Saving Private Ryan in terms of the sheer unpleasantness.

to me it's the unpleasantness of the death and also the really depressing and stark reality of objective evil so clearly, cruelly and brutally crushing good.

it's just unpleasant in general and GoT really, really needs to ratchet up some wins for the good guys because it's so loving bleak and kind of a drag to watch lately

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
On the rewatch I noticed that the Mountain's actor messed up his line. "Then I smashed her head in, LIKE THIS!" somehow became "Then I smashed her head, IN LIKE THIS!"

Yeah, I know, 3rdMountain hate, Conan Stevens loyalism, grasping, straws, etc.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Supersonic Shine posted:

Holy poo poo, his head just loving detonated. I'm actually a bit ill now.

Seriously, did anyone else think that death scene was going too far? Like part of me felt like I shouldn't have watched it. I know GOT's Universe is all about cruelty and stuff but seriously, I felt like they went too far with how they showed it. I'm still trying to process the drat thing.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
the secret to living in Game of Thrones is good gravy

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
It's probably worth keeping in mind, as an addendum to all the "strong guys in heavy armor win fights" business, that Bronn pretty much won Tyrion's first Trial exactly the same way: he danced around a less skilled opponent until he got tired and gave him an opportunity.

The difference isn't that being faster and smarter doesn't count for anything, it's that Bronn was fighting to win, and Oberyn was fighting to humiliate and gain a confession. He lost because he wasn't being smart, not because he wasn't strong and wearing a helmet.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
That was a lot more head explody than i expected. Faithfull to the book? yeah i think so, depending on your interpretation of "smashed her head in like this". I always assumed it meant smashing it into the ground.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

NomChompsky posted:

Also let's not forget the Hound, Gregor's brother, finding Arya practicing a sort of martial arts like he was using, and him saying that she'll definitely get killed "if you nonce about like that."

I think that was his wording.

Oh yeah, I forgot. Sandor tells Arya that in order to win, you need armor and "a big loving sword."

Love the foreshadowing in this show.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

EccoRaven posted:

Apparently it has :(

UGH this is why I don't get invested in strangers' personal lives.

This is just weird, please stop shipping real people who will never know you.

Innocuous
Mar 1, 2003

It's a strange world.

Xanderkish posted:

Seriously, did anyone else think that death scene was going too far? Like part of me felt like I shouldn't have watched it. I know GOT's Universe is all about cruelty and stuff but seriously, I felt like they went too far with how they showed it. I'm still trying to process the drat thing.

Was gonna watch on a huge HD screen and didn't. Pretty happy about that decision right now.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

malhavok posted:

That was a lot more head explody than i expected. Faithfull to the book? yeah i think so, depending on your interpretation of "smashed her head in like this". I always assumed it meant smashing it into the ground.

Pretty sure in the book he punches his head in (not a book reader but my brother and some coworkers are). Like with the Red Wedding they made it worse on the show.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Zombies' Downfall posted:

It's probably worth keeping in mind, as an addendum to all the "strong guys in heavy armor win fights" business, that Bronn pretty much won Tyrion's first Trial exactly the same way: he danced around a less skilled opponent until he got tired and gave him an opportunity.

The difference isn't that being faster and smarter doesn't count for anything, it's that Bronn was fighting to win, and Oberyn was fighting to humiliate and gain a confession. He lost because he wasn't being smart, not because he wasn't strong and wearing a helmet.
It's worth noting that the vast majority of opponents wouldn't have had the strength to pull the stunt the Mountain did after being stabbed deep in the chest like he was.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

Pretty sure in the book he punches his head in (not a book reader but my brother and some coworkers are). Like with the Red Wedding they made it worse on the show.

Oh, yeah that rings a bell.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Yeah, gently caress GRRM to death.

I absolutely hate losing Oberyn, but the likely loss of Tyrion is by far the worst part of this.

I can take a little solace in that I don't see a Tyrion beheading setup on the preview, but that ain't worth much, he'll only get saved if a bunch of dragons and White Walkers show up torching King's Landing before the axe comes down.

The only worthwhile thing was Sansa emerging as a Playa. And Arya laughing like a loon at the Bloody Gate.

I don't know what this makeover business is for the weakling Lord of the Vale, unless it's just the usual fakeout before he falls through the Moon Door.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

JT Jag posted:

It's worth noting that the vast majority of opponents wouldn't have had the strength to pull the stunt the Mountain did after being stabbed deep in the chest like he was.

It was a good way of showing that The Mountain is like this weird supervillain esque strong and they really needed to drum up the hate because they hadn't really focused on the thing he did with the Martells.

IMO this was worse than the red wedding.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

Saoritficis posted:

Yea the second he let go of his spear and starting walking around the mountain talking about how he cant die yet I knew things were gonna go south.

I don't get the call by Tywin (okay I do but still), I mean, both combatants died, isn't it a draw?

Tywin just wants to pre-empt the whole wait and kill Tyrion all ready.

Very, very minor spoiler given what you just all saw, just to clear up one thing: The Mountain did not die.

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
There is no one around to satisfy my desire to see on screen homosex with Oberyn dead.

Saoritficis
Apr 23, 2008

Xanderkish posted:

Y'know, this is interesting because everybody here is complaining about his head popping, while I found the eyes being crushed far more unpleasant.

Having your head caved in/watermeloned is not painful, you die instantly. Eyes being crushed inside the sockets, that is going to hurt. Alot.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Zwabu posted:

I don't know what this makeover business is for the weakling Lord of the Vale, unless it's just the usual fakeout before he falls through the Moon Door.

Since they did all of that talking in the throne room, I assume the deal is to get Robin out and about and out of Littlefingers way while he runs poo poo from the Eyrie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Mr.Trifecta posted:

This can't be good at all for the Seven Kingdoms. My guess is the Martells will not be happy one of their crowned Princes were killed at the capital.

The best part of Cersei's smug face is knowing that she's forgotten that her daughter is in Dorne.

EDIT: Also loved Sansa's Malificent costume, and Arya finally just snapping.

Vernii fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jun 2, 2014

• Locked thread