Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

CraigK posted:

I GUESS A CHICAGO BASED SPORTS TEAM IS PLAYING AN IMPORTANT GAME TONIGHT

Craig, don't be like Bruzer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Craig, don't be like Bruzer.

I'm not, it's just I go off to clean a load of dishes in the sink and come back to find I'd been kicked twenty times!

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

CraigK posted:

I'm not, it's just I go off to clean a load of dishes in the sink and come back to find I'd been kicked twenty times!

Craig, stop being Craig. Just for one loving night.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Craig, stop being Craig. Just for one loving night.

just for you, ok

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.

TheFlyingLlama posted:

The dinger temple will never die. It may lay dormant for a season or two, but there will always be someone desperate for its glory.

Also cbx, should we rest Hartnett? He's sore, so we should probably do something.

Yeah. Let's set Rodriguez as... Tanana's personal catcher so we can give Gabby's knees an occasional breather. Also, do you wanna swap Mays and Donovan?

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

cbx posted:

Yeah. Let's set Rodriguez as... Tanana's personal catcher so we can give Gabby's knees an occasional breather. Also, do you wanna swap Mays and Donovan?

STOP MAKING ILLEGAL loving MOVES FOR YOUR TAG-TEAM ROSTERS!

Smasher Dynamo fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 2, 2014

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
~*~ CraigK Memorial Post ~*~

You Will Be Missed My Friend

~*~ CraigK Memorial Post~*~

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

cbx posted:

The personal catcher thing is fine, because it has an obvious purpose, but let's not go any further so smasher doesn't go insane/murder our team in retribution.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Monicro posted:

~*~ CraigK Memorial Post ~*~

You Will Be Missed My Friend

~*~ CraigK Memorial Post~*~

Shut the gently caress up, Monicro. cbx, you loving can't switch Mays with Donovan. That would violate the loving rules. And your team has a billion off days coming up, so there's no point in resting Ivan Rodriguez unless you think he's a better catcher than Hartnett, and given that he can't take a loving walk, I kind of loving doubt that.

FairGame, if the Magic Mushrooms beat out Doomsday for a playoff spot, I'm just going to loving give up. I really am.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
RIP, SuperLeague. It was a good time.

CFBalla
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, I just made that shot. :smug:

theacox posted:

RIP, SuperLeague. It was a good time.

Nah man. The Magic Mushrooms have no chance of beating Doomsday, right?

Right? :ohdear:

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

CFBalla posted:

Nah man. The Magic Mushrooms have no chance of beating Doomsday, right?

Right? :ohdear:

I'm more concerned that Smasher and CM Punk might burn the whole thing to the ground in a fit of rage, given the events of the day.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Craigk lift this stupid loving ban

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

theacox posted:

I'm more concerned that Smasher and CM Punk might burn the whole thing to the ground in a fit of rage, given the events of the day.

Let me tell you something. Doing this LP sucks. It sucks a lot. Most of the time, it feels like it's just one more thing that I have do before I can do anything fun with my free time. It's a chore. Sometimes I can pretend that people appreciate the effort I put in, but most of the time I know that it's bullshit, because all I have to do is look at the other LPs in the forum and the amount of views they get, and I realize that I'm only deluding myself. If I cut out the games of the week, and cut out the analysis, I wouldn't lose a single loving reader.

And that said, if the Magic Mushrooms do win their loving pool, I really will quit.

Smasher Dynamo fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jun 2, 2014

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

tatankatonk posted:

Craigk lift this stupid loving ban

I did like four seconds after you left, god drat

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
You know what, gently caress this, let my team run and die on autopilot, if I wanted to play something where I get yelled at daily I'd loving reinstall TF2

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Hey, you all knew this was part of the deal coming in! It's my passion for sports that keeps this LP going. And if that passion sometimes leads me to astounding acts of anger, and wishing that the entire city of L.A. would sink into the ocean out of spite, is that really so bad?

After all, L.A. is an evil place that produces the vast majority of the flavorless gruel that passes for popular entertainment nowadays. It's a soulless land that exists to distill the infinite complexities of human existence into two-hour blocks that are focus-grouped into utter banality in an attempt to rob as many people of their money as possible.

And now that hellhole, which has already polluted the world with so much pop culture detritus has stolen hockey from me.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

CraigK posted:

You know what, gently caress this, let my team run and die on autopilot, if I wanted to play something where I get yelled at daily I'd loving reinstall TF2

Nooo dont go Craig i love u :(

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Shut the gently caress up, Monicro. cbx, you loving can't switch Mays with Donovan. That would violate the loving rules. And your team has a billion off days coming up, so there's no point in resting Ivan Rodriguez unless you think he's a better catcher than Hartnett, and given that he can't take a loving walk, I kind of loving doubt that.

FairGame, if the Magic Mushrooms beat out Doomsday for a playoff spot, I'm just going to loving give up. I really am.

Wow, my mistake.

1) Had no clue how the scheduling works.
2) Completely forgot about the no switching rule.

So just keep on keeping on.

cbx fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jun 2, 2014

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Chipper Jones, Alan Trammell, Derek Jeter and my Pitchers are doing wonderful. Manny is hitting dingers. Is this because of theacox management?!

Also yeah switch the Nens and swap Reardon/Burke like theacox said.

Hesitant on changing the lineups right now.

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jun 2, 2014

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Smasher Dynamo posted:

The McD, as long as you don't ratify these moves by tomorrow, I don't have to go through the trouble entering them! Do the right thing!

You know what, I'll just leave it up to you. Personally, I'd OK the moves, but I'll just posit this:

If you believe that making these moves will lead to the Mushrooms not winning the pool because the moves include changes from my end and my tinkering seems to doom teams terribly so far, then I think you should make them, because the Mushrooms not winning should be a good thing to you.

If you believe that making these moves will lead to the Mushrooms winning the pool and you can finally have this entire thing burn down, then I think you should make them, because having this entire thing explode and be done with it seems to be a good thing to you, and being part of the destroyers of the Super-League in my first season seems like one hell of an accomplishment for me to go out on.

If you think it's just a waste of time, then by all means, just ignore them and we'll see how the cookie crumbles.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

TheMcD posted:

You know what, I'll just leave it up to you. Personally, I'd OK the moves, but I'll just posit this:

If you believe that making these moves will lead to the Mushrooms not winning the pool because the moves include changes from my end and my tinkering seems to doom teams terribly so far, then I think you should make them, because the Mushrooms not winning should be a good thing to you.

If you believe that making these moves will lead to the Mushrooms winning the pool and you can finally have this entire thing burn down, then I think you should make them, because having this entire thing explode and be done with it seems to be a good thing to you, and being part of the destroyers of the Super-League in my first season seems like one hell of an accomplishment for me to go out on.

If you think it's just a waste of time, then by all means, just ignore them and we'll see how the cookie crumbles.

I think that, looking at the pythagorean records, and the composition of each team, that I wouldn't make that sort of claim unless I was 99% sure that Doomsday was going to ace out the Magic Mushrooms anyway.

Also, for those of you who don't understand my bizarre hatred for the Magic Mushrooms, I hate mushrooms, and I hate magic, and only the cold, hard iron fist of Doomsday laying waste to the Tag Team Tournament can make me feel happy at this point.

Smasher Dynamo fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jun 2, 2014

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I enjoy the write-ups more than most LPs, the humour is perfect. I just don't comment on stuff that doesn't involve my team, usually.

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.
As a reader of the Super League, I appreciate the colorful write-ups that you include Smasher. It was your write-ups about why DC is a horrible book company along with how horrible Infinite Crisis is that attracted me to lurk in #TheSuperLeague. If it was just a baseball fantasy LP that was pure and dry in its writings, we, the owners and the readers would not stick around.

For myself, I enjoy the entertainment but I have no time right now to concentrate on putting together a roster that would probably crash and burn, along with maintaining it.

Please Smasher, we love what we do.

Except involving your wrestling fetishes with CM Punk. Sorry, Silver Age of Wrestling was the best age of wrestling.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

It is known.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
As much poo poo as I give, I do enjoy the games of the week and whatnot.
The best part is still, without a doubt, team construction, but if I didn't enjoy the Super League at some level I'd have dropped out again by now.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

: So, as you recall last time, the Empire's soldiers were attacking, and so Reivier had to-
: What are you doing?
: Quintessence! If the Hawks go down, then I'm taking the thread down with them! Right to lovely jRPG hell!
: I think the thread might actually prefer that to the regular updates, though.
: Yeah, probably. gently caress.

Tag Team Tournament III, Pool Play, Day Two

: Okay, let's get this disaster rolling.
: Hey, think positively, after all, the Blackhawks will-
: Shut up! It doesn't matter, because Doomsday is going to kill everyone, and then everyone will be as miserable as me and it will be perfect!

Anarcho-Capitalism, LLC

: A late surge enables the team to finish at a respectable 40-40, Fourth Place in Pool B.
: Both Cy Youngs did better in the second half, but they had dug the hole too deep.

Colliding Crows

: Colliding Crows come one game short, they finish 41-39, Second Place in Pool B.
: If only Manny Ramirez had played up to his potential, the Crows would have won this pool.
: Hard to argue that, but the Colliders' horrific bullpen didn't help matters. Robb Nen piled up seven losses in just eighty games. One less loss, and the Crows are tied for the Pool B lead, two less losses, and they're in the semi-finals. Then again, Nen was a member of the 1997 Marlins, and, in his last ever appearance, blew a save that cost the Giants a World Series. Nen's bad news. And not the good kind of bad news, the bad kind of bad news.

Doomsday

: Hah! gently caress all of you! Doomsday wins! 42-38, Winner of Pool B! Yes, the road to a three-peat is nearly over, Doomsday will trample all of your dreams, and then we'll see who's laughing!
: That's going to be kind of hard, what with Barry Bonds and Satchel Paige out of the playoffs due to injury.
: What? No, that's not. There's got to be something that they can do, they can, no, I have to have left in some loophole, some way out!
: I'm afraid it looks like the Losers will have to sub in Lefty O'Doul and Jerry Koosman. You probably should have turned injuries off before running the tournament.
: ...
: Uh, Smasher?
: ...
: Are you okay?
: Life is unceasingly cruel.

El Genericos

: El Genericos, moving on to face Doomsday in the Semi-Finals, they went 46-34, First Place in Pool C.
: And they have to be considered favorites in that series.
: No! I mean, El Genericos' pitching is way worse, so if Doomsday gets a couple of good starts, they could win this.
: That'll be tough without Paige, and the Genericos' hitters are really keyed in.
: Yeah? Well, what if all of the El Genericos' hitters were to all suffer sudden ratings drops?
: People would get really angry that you were manipulating the game out of spite?
: Well, I guess at least one entity named "El Generico" is having a good year.

gently caress You, We Are Beet and McFreeze

: Well, I was wrong. Their hitting never really did take off. Still, they went 43-37, Tied for the Wildcard to finish things off.
: How does the tiebreaker in the Tag Team Tournament work? One-Game Playoff?
: We'll get to it later.

Knights of Corruption

: Knight of Corruption finish 38-42, and there's nothing wrong or exciting about that.
: Two Carlos Marmols were pretty exciting.
: No, Marmol isn't exciting. He's depressing. It's like watching a deer get stuck in train tracks, and then a train comes barreling down the tracks, and the conductor isn't going to see the deer in time, and the deer knows something is wrong, and desperately tries to get its hoof unstuck, but there's not enough time, and the train is coming down the tracks, and you don't want to watch, but you can't turn your eyes away. And it's horrible. Excitement is the tension created by an uncertain outcome. There's nothing exciting about inevitable disaster.

Magic Mushrooms

: And TheMcD fails to kill the Super-League, as the Magic Mushrooms finish 40-40, Third Place in Pool B.
: I'm not sure if any of the moves the Mushrooms made midseason did much of anything. And, if they did, it's hard to say whether they made things better or worse.
: Given the injuries to Bonds and Ramirez, it's probably fair to say that, given the short benches, that the same players would have played regardless.

Monateam

: 29-51, Fifth Place in Pool A.
: Poor Monateam.

New Worst Symphony

: 33-47, Fourth Place in Pool A.
: So, wait, this team put Bonds all over the infield, and still finished with a better record than Monateam?
: Yeah.
: Poor Monateam.

North/South Interchange

: North/South can't get it going, they finish 31-49, Fifth Place in Pool C.
: Which one were they again?
: The one with the guy from London.
: London, Ontario, or London, England?
: I think they're roughly equivalent.

Rock n Bock Connection

: A lot of dingers, but not enough wins, 37-43, Fourth Place in Pool C.
: Aw, good try, though!
: I think we can all agree that had this team succeeded, it would have done a lot to quell Euroscepticism in the United Kingdom. Instead, the UKIP is going to have a field day.

Tank and Rank

: To the surprise of no one, a Cthulhu team has somehow turned it all around, and they'll finish 43-37, tied for the Wildcard.
: They've picked up a few injuries, though, that could hurt them in the tiebreaker.
: Oh, I wouldn't worry about that.

Twin Cities Triad

: Triads finish 41-39, 3rd Place in Pool A.
: Hey, how come we never play the Super-League Anthem before important playoffs series anymore?
: What does that have to do with anything?
: I don't know, I'm curious, and the Triads are kind of super-boring. Sorry, guys, but it's true.
: Can't argue with that. At any rate, the license fees for "One Night in Bangkok" are just too expensive.

WinAmps

: Well, gently caress! WinAmps go 56-24, First Place in Pool A, and, as you might guess, they'll hold home-field advantage throughout the playoffs.
: Hey, new blood doing well in the Super-League, that's good for everyone!
: Except, if they win, that means two last-place teams are immune from demotion, which means that two third-place teams will suffer the drop, and that will have ominous effects on competitive balance next season.
: Yeah, but that's the appeal of the Tag Team Tournament! A noble tag team can embiggen even the worst team! I mean, if they win, they've earned their immunity.
: Only in a technical, moral and legal sense!

TIEBREAKER!

: Uh, Smasher, the tiebreaker?
: Oh, yeah, that thing. Yoshida, if you'll read the relevant section of the official book of Tag Team Tournament Rules and Procedures? It's on page 1178.
: Huh, the first hundred pages of this are just reprints of the Giffen/Bierbaum issues of the Legion of Super-Heroes. And also Henry VI, Part 3.
: Well, I wanted to give the rulebook a lot of heft, but I only ended up writing about seven pages of rules, so I had to fill the space with something. Any, the rule?
: Right, "So it hath come to pass that two teams, alike of dignity and station, hath become deadlocked, neither able to gain advantage o'er the other. As their struggle can hath no decisive conclusion on the field of play, let there be one final trial that shall determine their fate, much as was practiced in elder times. Find ye a metal disc, of size that can fit within the bounds of thine own hand. Let one side of this disc bear the carving of a man, that shall be the sigil of the first team. On the reverse, let there be another, distinct symbol that shall be the sigil of the other. Having obtained this mighty, yet of modest size, disc, cast it into the air, so that it should soar for the heavens for a brief time and thus touch the divine that resideth there. But, lo, the base earth shall, after but the merest of moments, pull the disc downward, such that, soon after, the disc shall impact the cruel surface of this brutal orb, and shall have one of its sides, but only one, revealed, striving towards the heavens, as if begging to return there. The team whose sigil yearns towards the sky shall have proven their fitness for glory, and so shall advance in the Tag Team Tournament. So it is written, so shall it be."
: Very well, let us begin this sacred rite! Yoshida, the disc of decision! Give it to me now!
: Wait...wasn't all of that just a super-fancy way of saying flip a coin?
: Bah! You would denigrate this ritual so? Now, then, to cast this disc upward, so that the heavens may judge.
: Should I call it in the air?
: Hah! The die is cast, the winner...heads!
: Did we decide which team was heads?
: Oh, right....eh, hell with it, gently caress You We Are Beet and McFreeze advances!

Standings

: Wait, who won the season series between gently caress You and Tank and Rank?
: Yoshida, we are bound to uphold the official tiebreaker decision. gently caress You has won, it is the will of the heavens. It is not ours to question that.

Semi-Final Pairings!
gently caress You We Are Beet and McFreeze @ El Genericos
Doomsday @ WinAmps

Smasher Dynamo fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 2, 2014

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

A .700 record, holy poo poo :psyduck:

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010
:negative: why does this season hate me so much? nothing can loving go right, even when it's sort of going right...

So, to clarify, which team did Doomsday draw in the semi-finals? In one part of the update you say:

quote:

El Genericos, moving on to face Doomsday in the Semi-Finals, they went 46-34, First Place in Pool C.

and then at the end:

quote:

Semi-Final Pairings!
gently caress You We Are Beet and McFreeze @ El Genericos
Doomsday @ WinAmps

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

ToiletofSadness posted:

:negative: why does this season hate me so much? nothing can loving go right, even when it's sort of going right...

So, to clarify, which team did Doomsday draw in the semi-finals? In one part of the update you say:

and then at the end:

The WinAmps one is right. BEAT THEM! Do it for me! And little oldskool! And that feral pack of coyotes that terrorizes the population of Rockford at night!

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Ah hell! We almost made it theacox!

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
Pleasure working with you, Mr. Pungry. Let's not do it again, though. Funny Once Lecture and all that.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

The WinAmps are the team of Destiny! We're going all the way!

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

Smasher Dynamo posted:

The WinAmps one is right. BEAT THEM! Do it for me! And little oldskool! And that feral pack of coyotes that terrorizes the population of Rockford at night!
Fair enough, I just think it would be easier if you hadn't deemed fit to cripple 2 of our best 3 players.

There's nothing to be done with the starting pitching, Paige sits the rest of the tournament out in the Mopup slot and everyone else slides up a spot.

As for the lineups, I think I want Kaline's better glove and higher power in the lineup instead of O'Doul.

vs RHP
DH Speaker
CF Charleston
LF Robinson
1B Pujols
C Torre
RF Kaline
2B Alomar
SS Trammell
3B Schmidt

vs LHP
DH Speaker
LF Robinson
CF Charleston
1B Pujols
C Torre
RF Kaline
3B Schmidt
2B Carew
SS Trammell

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Oh well. Such is the will of the RNG god.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

TheMcD posted:

Oh well. Such is the will of the RNG god.

We gave it a good run. Looking at the standings, I wonder if we played doomsday the last two of the season. Had we won either, we'd have been in the playoffs and killed the super league.

Pleasure working with you. We made great villains.

Forzelt
Jul 23, 2012

Variance? Fuck that noise.

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Yes. Please do terrible and awful things to the WinAmps, like taking Llamas' alcohol away from him.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

mrnoun posted:

Pleasure working with you, Mr. Pungry. Let's not do it again, though. Funny Once Lecture and all that.

I have no idea what that means, but yeah, it was fun.

CFBalla
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, I just made that shot. :smug:
Well that's pretty awesome. I really don't want Memento Mori to be a three-way race between the Tornados, Imperialists, and Dinos, though, so unfortunately I'll be cheering for Doomsday in the other semi-final. As for ours, kw0134, do you want to go with Lefty Grove, not great roll but a lefty, or Joe McGinnity, deadball iron man, against gently caress You? Looking at their line-up, they do have a ton of lefties, but I don't think many of their guys have any significant platoon splits. Either way, I'll go along with whatever you're thinking.

And hey! Ted Williams continued his performance into the 2nd half of the season somehow! Just look at that stat line!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

ToiletofSadness posted:

Fair enough, I just think it would be easier if you hadn't deemed fit to cripple 2 of our best 3 players.

For god's sake look at our infield: Trammell couldn't clear .250, Schmidt hit .165 and Dick Allen saw that as a personal challenge and managed to do worse than that...and we still won the toughest division.

Bring on...whoever the gently caress we're playing.