Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Filthy Haiku posted:

Why on earth did it bounce back like that? :psyduck:

Spite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Filthy Haiku posted:

It was trying to bounce back to somewhere it could land.

EDIT: Kinda lame that the Blooper seems to have absolutely no effect on CPU opponents. In Mario Kart DS it would make them swerve around a little, which I thought was cool.

Rocketlex fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jun 2, 2014

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

To Aasea in the Goonvitational, sorry for stealing your 4th player spot last second in Mount Wario. :smith:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

LordHippoman posted:

People spent years modding Skyrim and Fallout to do this, but Bowser just doesn't give a singular gently caress.

Bowser is able to afford to give all his children their own castle with a full staff. He still wins Father of The Year.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Mo0 posted:

Wow, either you guys were in a lobby for hours or that point total at the end is for something else.

Yeah, go to worldwide matchmaking, that was like the 3rd race :v:

dalaamprince
Jul 16, 2008
Can we make a separate thread to gush over how amazing the Thwomp Ruins song is? It's the greatest thing Nintendo has ever done.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Rocketlex posted:

EDIT: Kinda lame that the Blooper seems to have absolutely no effect on CPU opponents. In Mario Kart DS it would make them swerve around a little, which I thought was cool.

I think getting blooped reduces your traction stat substantially. I was in a kart with pretty bad turning already and when I was oiled my drifting went to complete dogshit. Of course AI will just adjust around this, though.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Unlocking Metal Mario/Peach is just luck when winning GX cups? I have been playing almost exclusively online so while my carts are being fleshed out, I don't have many racers unlocked and wanted to give Metalclass weights a shot after playing with Heavyweight all weekend.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I've just got this and it's amazing.

Is it me or are bikes just completely ridiculous. I've stomped 150cc Mushroom and Shell cup on them, but the moment I tried to do the same in a kart I got annihilated. Like it feels like bikes with comparable top speed just seem to go faster than karts.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I've just got this and it's amazing.

Is it me or are bikes just completely ridiculous. I've stomped 150cc Mushroom and Shell cup on them, but the moment I tried to do the same in a kart I got annihilated. Like it feels like bikes with comparable top speed just seem to go faster than karts.

Bikes handle way better and generally go faster. There's even a bike that drifts inward which makes any sharp turn a breeze for any build/character. It's kind of really really dumb.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Hank Hill gets a good banana throw in this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-5vksPzlgE

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
I don't know if this has been brought up but I really really hope they release the N64 Battle Arena's re-done as DLC. I don't like the way battles are right now at all. Other than that it's an amazing game tho

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

InFlames235 posted:

I don't know if this has been brought up but I really really hope they release the N64 Battle Arena's re-done as DLC. I don't like the way battles are right now at all. Other than that it's an amazing game tho

No one does. They totally dropped the ball on that one, they may as well have not even included battle mode if they didn't have time to develop it.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Is there any way I could get in trouble with Nintendo's online if I play as a Hitler Mii in races?

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

mabels big day posted:

Is there any way I could get in trouble with Nintendo's online if I play as a Hitler Mii in races?

Better grow a narrow pushbroom mustache just in case.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

mabels big day posted:

I just did this a while ago as "Der Fuhrer" in pubbie races, I haven't been banned yet.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Dancing Peasant posted:

I just did this a while ago as "Der Fuhrer" in pubbie races, I haven't been banned yet.

When Der Fuhrer says "Ja, I vill vin zis race"
Blue SHELL. Blue SHELL. Right in Der Fuhrer's face
Not to beat Der Fuhrer is a great disgrace
So Blue SHELL. Blue SHELL. Right in Der Fuhrer's face

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Macaluso posted:

When Der Fuhrer says "Ja, I vill vin zis race"
Blue SHELL. Blue SHELL. Right in Der Fuhrer's face
Not to beat Der Fuhrer is a great disgrace
So Blue SHELL. Blue SHELL. Right in Der Fuhrer's face

Perfect.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

InFlames235 posted:

I don't know if this has been brought up but I really really hope they release the N64 Battle Arena's re-done as DLC. I don't like the way battles are right now at all.

Yeah, I tried playing it twice and I feel like paying money for them to do that.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I like the idea of putting battles in larger, more open areas, but dedicated courses would still be better.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Rocketlex posted:

I like the idea of putting battles in larger, more open areas, but dedicated courses would still be better.

Battles should be 15 minute cat and mouse games of dodging shells around corners, screen watching for locations and items, barricading yourself in with bananas, and then dying to a false item box you forgot you placed on the first pick up.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Filthy Haiku posted:

Because gently caress your couch.

I'm enjoying this game to loving pieces, with goons and with randoms though I win more against randoms. It seems as if heavyweights are better at turning in this game than the lighter weights who seem to power slide wildly and out of control (and off the stage :saddowns: ). Couple with higher speeds and heavies are pretty much the business. They seem to be who I see at the top of the leaderboards too. I generally roll with Rosalina and Roy with the sport bike, but Ludwig in the Biddybuggy seems to be alright though a bit wild as he's also not a heavy.

What's everyone rolling with so that we can all drive the same char/car like Funky Kong on Wii?

Edit: I also rocked a tiny Hitler Mii I called Lil' Hit with his buddy Lil' Stalin back on MK Wii. But Wii was quite unpoliced unlike the U. I just KNOW the second I do that on MK8 I'm getting banned immediately

Dishwasher fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jun 2, 2014

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

drat you thread, stop making me want to buy this. Seems like the best Mario Kart in a long time and me and my friends could use another good game for drunk multiplayer (I'm pretty sure nothing will ever beat drunk F-Zero GX, though), but that would mean I'd need to shell out for a bunch of Pro controllers. :shepspends:

It is tempting, though...

edit: oh okay it supports the Wii classic controller too, that'll help a bit

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jun 2, 2014

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

mabels big day posted:

I don't think you can actually name your Mii Hitler. When my roommate tried to play online as our Hitler (everybody has a Hitler, right?) it would change the Mii name to Player instead of Hitler.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Eddie Hitler's gonna be pissed.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

OH NO MAN posted:

drat you thread, stop making me want to buy this. Seems like the best Mario Kart in a long time and me and my friends could use another good game for drunk multiplayer (I'm pretty sure nothing will ever beat drunk F-Zero GX, though), but that would mean I'd need to shell out for a bunch of Pro controllers. :shepspends:

It is tempting, though...

edit: oh okay it supports the Wii classic controller too, that'll help a bit

Not only is this the best Mario Kart in a long time, but IMO it's the best Mario Kart ever made. The new tracks are almost all incredibly well done and anti gravity is a super fun mechanic!

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Bobnumerotres posted:

Bikes handle way better and generally go faster. There's even a bike that drifts inward which makes any sharp turn a breeze for any build/character. It's kind of really really dumb.

Yeah, bikes seem amazing and I love the Sports Bike a ton except for the fact that I can't figure out the drifting well enough. Like, with karts I have some leeway going back and forth, but bikes? Either all the way out or all the way in, and I usually end up on one side of the rough terrain no matter how hard I try.

Granted, its just my first day, so I probably have a lot of time to learn still.

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

Spacebump posted:

Hank Hill gets a good banana throw in this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-5vksPzlgE

So when are we putting together the Hank Hill Invitational Tournament?
All Hank Hill.
All the time.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I think I might main Shy Guy. He makes the weirdest little noises all the time, its hilarious.

Bwewewewe :shepface:

Kirios posted:

Not only is this the best Mario Kart in a long time, but IMO it's the best Mario Kart ever made. The new tracks are almost all incredibly well done and anti gravity is a super fun mechanic!

Yeah I can't believe how amazing the tracks in this are. Basically all of them are really fun to play. Even the retro tracks got redone to be way more creative while still sticking to the original theme.

Tick Tock Clock rules.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jun 2, 2014

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I can't believe how well I've been doing with Pink Gold Peach on the sports bike with the little roller wheels. Consistently getting first place or at least top positions online, and this is the first Mario Kart I've played in a while so I expected to do terribly to begin with.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I'm one of those grumpy-rear end :corsair: Mario Kart fans who only like the original, 64 and Super Circuit and don't care for the gimmicky stuff they've been adding in the more recent games, but I'm willing to give this a shot because it really does seem like an awesome game. I was kinda iffy on the anti-gravity thing when I first saw it, but if it's actually implemented well I won't mind.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Fly with me posted:

All Hank Hill.
All the time.

Nah, nah, gotta cross the streams.

Hank Hill cosplaying as Waluigi.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

^god drat yes

Fly with me posted:

All Hank Hill.
All the time.

I'm making my Hank soon, might even try the whole cast. This needs to happen.

What's the cleanest burning kart setup?

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jun 2, 2014

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

The Bee posted:

Hank Hill cosplaying as Waluigi would be the best day of Bobby's life.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

OH NO MAN posted:

I'm one of those grumpy-rear end :corsair: Mario Kart fans who only like the original, 64 and Super Circuit and don't care for the gimmicky stuff they've been adding in the more recent games, but I'm willing to give this a shot because it really does seem like an awesome game. I was kinda iffy on the anti-gravity thing when I first saw it, but if it's actually implemented well I won't mind.

Honestly, it's not even really a gimmick, it's just like. Sometimes on certain sections of tracks you can crash into people to get a speed boost. It doesn't really change how the game plays.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

The Bee posted:

Yeah, bikes seem amazing and I love the Sports Bike a ton except for the fact that I can't figure out the drifting well enough. Like, with karts I have some leeway going back and forth, but bikes? Either all the way out or all the way in, and I usually end up on one side of the rough terrain no matter how hard I try.

That's the risk-reward with bikes. They corner amazingly well, but their drifting is much harder to control and if you go off-road just slightly they nearly stop dead. Bikes require you to maintain a very specific racing line, whereas karts can slide and maneuver all over the place.

I think karts are competitive with bikes, but you have to be really skilled with the power-slide and get the full boost off of every turn you can. I find Wood wheels go really well with karts and make power-sliding really simple.

I don't even know what the deal is with ATVs. I would have thought their thing would be having slightly poor stats but performing well off-road (basically the inverse of bikes), but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

The Bee posted:

Please, someone make this and post the Mii code here.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Rocketlex posted:

I don't even know what the deal is with ATVs. I would have thought their thing would be having slightly poor stats but performing well off-road (basically the inverse of bikes), but that doesn't seem to be the case.

ATVs are just karts but when you want Peach/Daisy/Ros to be wearing their biker outfit.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So to get the full boost from drifting do you still need to wiggle the control stick back and forth or did that mechanic get ditched? I thought it was still in but then I realized my waggling might be doing nothing and its just a placebo effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope
Just got this game, and I made a nerd table based on the data from this FAQ (values multiplied by 4 to make them whole):

PDF here, XLSX here. There's data missing, since it wasn't in the source FAQ, but it's enough to poke around.

The bottom line seems to be "there's no all-around best, drive what you like".

• Locked thread