Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

The Nastier Nate posted:

Is the SciFi (it was called that at the time) miniseries version of Dune with William Hurt considered bad? I always thought it was...acceptable and faithful enough to the books. Even Children of Dune with Susan Sarandon was decent. I can't see a series really expanding on it. With Frank Herbert being long dead, I don't think there's any point to try a kind of side-series anything, and I'd sooner burn every copy of the Dune franchise in existence before I just trust his son to write a series.
It was competent and faithful to the books, but if you want something better, the GOT treatment would be nice. That being said (and I pointed out earlier) his son is probably in charge of the drat thing so I'd say just let it rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

this is my new favorite video of all time

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

There's an episode of Batman Brave and the Bold where he goes back in time to save Lincoln from Mecha John Wilkes Booth.

Ya'll should watch Batman Brave and the Bold.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's also an episode where he meets up with Superman who spends the entire episode recreating Superdickery covers.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Brave and the Bold also has, hands down, the best Aquaman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MixXnzefsBA

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Brave and the Bold also has, hands down, the best Aquaman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MixXnzefsBA

OUTRAGEOUS!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I started laughing before the video even finished loading.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Holy poo poo, the end of tonight's Game of Thrones... :stonk:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Holy poo poo, the end of tonight's Game of Thrones... :stonk:

That was super gross. Especially the wide shot.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

muscles like this? posted:

That was super gross. Especially the wide shot.

I turned it on while waiting for Silicon Valley.

Yeah, I may not like this show but I know why it works for people. That was well loving done.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

That look on Luigi's face makes me cry from laughter every time.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

DivisionPost posted:

I turned it on while waiting for Silicon Valley.

Yeah, I may not like this show but I know why it works for people. That was well loving done.

Unfortunately it happened to a very likeable character, albeit one who is as close as you could get to literally inserting Inigo Montoya into Game of Thrones. You have to wonder how much of a kick GRRM gets out of kicking his audience in the balls.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

That loving GIF has single-handedly justified the WiiU's existence.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

...of SCIENCE! posted:

That loving GIF has single-handedly justified the WiiU's existence.

I could watch it for-loving-ever.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Oh my god. I can't stop watching or laughing. Please help me.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Deadpool posted:

Nope, sorry. You're doomed.

DOOOOOOOOOOOMED!!!

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Deadpool posted:

No escape.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

hcreight posted:

Unfortunately it happened to a very likeable character, albeit one who is as close as you could get to literally inserting Inigo Montoya into Game of Thrones. You have to wonder how much of a kick GRRM gets out of kicking his audience in the balls.

Oh naturally. I get the sense that Martin loves to punish characters who insist and cling to codes of honor. That's how you get Ned Stark and then The Red Wedding. I also remember an earlier episode, I think it was Tyrion's first trial by combat, where Bron(?) friggin' h'wupped that dude who insisted on fighting with formal armor. It's like the thesis statement of the entire series.

I admire that, but I can only do it from afar. It means a lot of characters I tend to get attached to die horribly and I don't have the constitution for that. But I know the scene was effective because afterward, I raced to Wikipedia to find out if The Mountain was going to eat it in the future.

And I'm willing to admit I'm a giant hypocrite on all the above because (future/book spoilers not related to the above) I will absolutely tune in to watch Tyrion give Tywin an extra hole. So please, whenever I say I don't like GoT, don't take me too seriously.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If I could make gifs thread titles I would rename every thread in this forum right now.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Mario Kart 8 is the best Mario Kart since 64.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Zaggitz posted:

Mario Kart 8 is the best Mario Kart

You got a couple extra words in there by accident. I cleaned it up.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Mario Kart 8 owns hardcore, everyone should go buy a Wii U so they can play it.

So, rewatching Cheers again, and I have to ask: Is there a better combination of guest-character and actor than Dan Hedaya and Nick Tortelli? That man controls the scene whenever he's on screen, it's just astounding. I can't think of anything else that he's this fantastic in.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Yoshifan823 posted:

Mario Kart 8 owns hardcore, everyone should go buy a Wii U so they can play it.

I'm gonna see what happens at E3 and then I'll put it on my list.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ahahahaha, I was half expecting Luigi to flip off Waluigi at the end :allears:

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Earth's Mightiest Heroes Tony Stark sounds a lot like RDJ.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Deadpool posted:

If I could make gifs thread titles I would rename every thread in this forum right now.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Deadpool posted:

You got a couple extra words in there by accident. I cleaned it up.

poo poo Battle Mode though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Oh my god. Luigi being an rear end in a top hat is the greatest gift the internet has ever given me.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jesus, Luigi is such a dick.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Luigi is finally sick and drat tired of playing second fiddle. In Mario Kart 8, Luigi means BUSINESS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpxDuNFBVj8

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jGg3QzH4aiY

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Gonz posted:

Luigi is finally sick and drat tired of playing second fiddle. In Mario Kart 8, Luigi means BUSINESS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpxDuNFBVj8

My favorite part of that video is the toads cause it makes it look like an early 90s rap game beef got out of hand and luigi just drivebyed waluigi in front of a bunch of horrified bystanders

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Remember that Nintendo held an entire year long celebration for Luigi and still didn't do him justice.

You'd be pissed too.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

The Nastier Nate posted:

Is the SciFi (it was called that at the time) miniseries version of Dune with William Hurt considered bad? I always thought it was...acceptable and faithful enough to the books. Even Children of Dune with Susan Sarandon was decent. I can't see a series really expanding on it. With Frank Herbert being long dead, I don't think there's any point to try a kind of side-series anything, and I'd sooner burn every copy of the Dune franchise in existence before I just trust his son to write a series.

I liked it when I watched back when it first came out, I don't know how well it's held up over the years though. The Baron Harkonnen in them was awesome.

Something worth checking out for Dune fans is a recent documentary called Jodorowsky's Dune that's about Alejandro Jodorowsky's efforts to make a Dune movie back in the seventies. It's an excellent documentary and it's really cool seeing everything Jodorowsky wanted to do, I so wish he got to finish making it. The cast alone would have been the best, with Orson Welles playing Baron Harkonnen and Salvador Dali the Emperor. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1935156/

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Dali also wanted $100,000 an hour to play the Emperor.

And the original script was allegedly as thick as a phone book.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm not sure how Luigi has become my favorite thing in the universe in a few hours but he drat sure has.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q_T2a5_7IU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Deadpool posted:

I'm not sure how Luigi has become my favorite thing in the universe in a few hours but he drat sure has.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q_T2a5_7IU

It's like Nintendo watched Waluigi's crotch chops in Mario Soccer go viral and went "let's make our next game about that"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6CLfZl0m88

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mario Kart 8 is really really loving good. It's always been my favourite party game series and this really might be the best one. The graphical upgrade is astonishing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Luigi looks like how I feel every time I play Mario Kart and someone comes from last place with some bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

SciFi Dune miniseries was...okay, but it felt like you were watching a high school play production wise in a lot of scenes and some of the actors were hilariously bad.

First thing I saw James McAvoy in, but for every McAvoy there was something like whoever the gently caress it was playing Alia.

• Locked thread