Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

BubbleGoose posted:

Oberyn is all those things, but the most important thing I took away from him was his love for his sister and how badly he wanted to avenge her. So, no, I really don't see how the way he died stood out as a comment on his character.

Yeah, I got that too. And I'm with you, I like the character. But there was more to the fight and its lead-up than just him being an avenging agent of justice; he's drinking beforehand, and then he doesn't wear a helmet (foreshadowing what happens). He's seeking vengeance, but he's also grandstanding and messing around with a guy who shouldn't be messed with because he's cocksure. Tyrion and Jaime in the scene immediately prior talk about how Oberyn is sure he'll win, but that doesn't make it so.

He's righteous, and he's also proud and vain. The latter got him killed, and the means of his death drives that home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Really happy about Sansa this episode, I think she's finally getting it. When everyone in the loving continent is digging a grave just for you, it's about time she finally figures out how to step around them.

Also Arya losing her poo poo at her aunt's death was amazing.

I don't think this would count as a spoiler, but I'm gonna spoiler it just in case

Having read the books, I'm very excited for the next few episodes. Some characters really start to be awesome, and some already awesome characters become even more awesome.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Vehementi posted:

Yeah no poo poo, as I said in the first post you quoted. It's the same trope - you think he's incapacitated for obvious reasons, but he's actually at full strength for made up reasons (being a monstrously strong or large person has no bearing on that, as the show has shown us so many times etc.) and completely defeats the guy and you sit there with a lol, okay dude. look on your face.

You are insufferable both in this thread, and the ESO thread. I can't wait to stumble upon more threads to read your excellent opinion on other topics.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What's the Mountain supposed to do? His hamstring is cut, he's not standing. Rolling away, about the only thing he can do until Oberyn gets close, accomplishes nothing.

He did exactly what he could do in that situation. He waited for an opening.

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

There are so many amendments in the constitution of the United States of America--I can only choose one!

Zombies' Downfall posted:

He's righteous, and he's also proud and vain. The latter got him killed, and the means of his death drives that home.

True. I can see that as well.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

vanbags posted:

So the Mountain is supposed to be the baddest man in the Seven Kingdoms, universally feared by all men, including Jaime Lannister who was supposedly the best swordsman in the land? And he was not only handily beat, but showboated on, by Oberyn?

Of course he had to die. He was too much of a badass.

Thinking back on it if he had lived I would have been pissed.

You know, if i were on the front lines of a battlefield, I'd definitely want the mountain in front of me rather than Oberyn, he's the ultimate tank.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

DFu4ever posted:

Oberyn was also known to be a huge badass, though. Honestly, the fight was basically main event caliber between two pros, not some David vs Goliath mismatch.
Only it was a David vs Goliath mismatch, only the Mountain was made to look like David. I just expected the Mountain to look a little better in that fight considering his reputation.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

The Mountain is freakishly strong, the show has gone out of it's way to point out he's a giant and has medieval super strength. In the scene he's using a two handed sword with one hand.

Oberyn would have won had he not let his hubris get the better of him in a fight to the death. It's an important realistic lesson. Don't tempt fate.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

DFu4ever posted:

Oberyn was also known to be a huge badass, though. Honestly, the fight was basically main event caliber between two pros, not some David vs Goliath mismatch.

And yet Jamie and Bronn were too chicken poo poo to stand for Tyrion. Says a lot about their own confidence.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

vanbags posted:

Only it was a David vs Goliath mismatch, only the Mountain was made to look like David.

Yeah, Oberyn's fighting style did pretty much make it a mismatch.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Winkie01 posted:

Those boobs of hers are the only reason she wasn't just a extra in Winterfell after episode one, and I miss them more and more every episode :qq:

But we had Missandei and I'll accept that trade. Her and Ms Sand are more my type.

I should hate the Boltons but I don't. The actor playing Ramsay is just so charismatic and playing a psycho with such joyous abandon that I love when he is on the screen. edit: same with Tormund Giantsbane. Love that dude.

Jesus. I did not see that coming until right before the fight. Oberyn we shall miss you. In my heart you shall forever be whoring and taking the piss out of the Lannisters.

Nice scene with Tyrion and Jaime about the beetles. Tywin had such glee while giving the sentence... god I cant wait till he dies. I hope he dies last and anonymously by some peasant as he flees the dragons or white walkers. First let Tyrion and Jamie give him a sound thumping.

Lastly watching the "behind the scenes" bit they mentioned Oberyn poisoned the Mountain on top of everything else. I completely missed seeing that.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

I'm just thinking, how many more people have to die before Meryn loving Trant is considered the strongest fighter left in Westeros?

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Yeah, I got that too. And I'm with you, I like the character. But there was more to the fight and its lead-up than just him being an avenging agent of justice; he's drinking beforehand, and then he doesn't wear a helmet (foreshadowing what happens). He's seeking vengeance, but he's also grandstanding and messing around with a guy who shouldn't be messed with because he's cocksure. Tyrion and Jaime in the scene immediately prior talk about how Oberyn is sure he'll win, but that doesn't make it so.

Pretty much. If he took it as serious as it should have been, he would have lived. I mean, even Bronn who likes to gently caress around definitely would not have hosed around during that match. It was a flaw of his character that got him killed, more than the mountain.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

Eh, I don't think it's quite as you're describing. It's not like he just didn't sell any of those wounds, Oberyn just didn't go in for a killing blow when he should have. I doubt The Mountain would have been able to jump right back into the fight.

Again Oberyn impaled him square in the middle of the chest at least 1 foot deep (check out the blood as he pulls the spear out) with his full body weight landing on him. Guy's lungs are full of blood etc. but, naw, he can get up, punch with full strength and overpower the guy while talking. It's just bad writing, there are so many ways they could have done it better if they weren't I guess afraid of GRRM or something?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Re: the matchup and Oberyn's potential victory, picking a spear as his weapon of choice was also a smart move. The biggest advantage a giant like the Mountain has in a swordfight is reach. (Hulk strength notwithstanding)

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

There are so many amendments in the constitution of the United States of America--I can only choose one!

Really happy about Sansa this episode, I think she's finally getting it. When everyone in the loving continent is digging a grave just for you, it's about time she finally figures out how to step around them.

Sansa will either become a force to be reckoned with or turn batshit crazy like her aunt. I'm holding out for the former.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Re: the matchup and Oberyn's potential victory, picking a spear as his weapon of choice was also a smart move. The biggest advantage a giant like the Mountain has in a swordfight is reach. (Hulk strength notwithstanding)

Yeah serious dude really used his head.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
The mountain is the retarded cousin smashing beetles analogy.

Well played George

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Vehementi posted:

But instead they picked the most retarded TV trope of all time "THE VILLAIN ISN'T DEAD, GET IT? HAHAHA!". That aspect of it ruined the episode for me.

That happens in real life. There was even a scandal a few years back because soldiers were taped shooting bodies.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Part of it might be the actor of course, but The Mountain is not portrayed as a very good fighter. It's all just brute strength.

Presumably the Mountain's reputation comes from the battlefield, where that's plenty.

Manic Mailman
Jul 2, 2004
so uhh did the mountain really die? i wasn't to clear in all the excitement. Also Jorah getting kicked he's gotta be a valuable asset to someone no matter what hes done.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Littlefinger setting himself up to be Henry Tudor VII.
So wait, did Sansa and Littlefinger bang, or is she just rocking the goth clothes because whatever?

I totally saw the ending coming, but it didn't make me :magical: any less.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

No More Heroes posted:

And yet Jamie and Bronn were too chicken poo poo to stand for Tyrion. Says a lot about their own confidence.
Uh, Jamie had a drat good reason for not stepping up. You can't blame him for not throwing himself to the lions.

Had he never lost a hand you might have a point.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Manic Mailman posted:

so uhh did the mountain really die? i wasn't to clear in all the excitement. Also Jorah getting kicked he's gotta be a valuable asset to someone no matter what hes done.

He didn't die....

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Would a King's Guard even be allowed to stand against the crown in a trial by combat?

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

So wait, did Sansa and Littlefinger bang, or is she just rocking the goth clothes because whatever?

I think if they bang we're going to be very much aware that they did.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

What is your sexual history that you assume sleeping with a woman makes her dress up in an outfit fashioned for a supervillian's funeral?

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Vehementi posted:

Again Oberyn impaled him square in the middle of the chest at least 1 foot deep (check out the blood as he pulls the spear out) with his full body weight landing on him. Guy's lungs are full of blood etc. but, naw, he can get up, punch with full strength and overpower the guy while talking. It's just bad writing, there are so many ways they could have done it better if they weren't I guess afraid of GRRM or something?

Not sure how it was described in the books but it could be the showrunners fault for having him take such ridiculously unrealistic wounds ie. spear through the chest.

Apparently 'any man can be killed' doesn't apply, even though a hulking giant like that would crumple like a baby when having his internal organs pierced like that.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

Would a King's Guard even be allowed to stand against the crown in a trial by combat?
Technically didn't he step down from the King's Guard?

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

Gotta say I'm pretty happy how the Ramsey/Reek story line is shaping up. I liked Ramsey from the beginning, but only now has he been put in some compelling scenes. Alfie Allen is so good playing Reek I almost don't want him to turn back into Theon. ...but I kinda do.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

He'd probably have to resign, which I have no doubt Jamie would do for Tyrion.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

Manic Mailman posted:

Seems foolish that she'd kick him - you'd expect these masterful plotters to keep him around (under guard) and continue to make use out of him (perhaps now more than ever since he will want to prove himself). I guess retroactive anger that her dead baby was hypothetically threatened is a stronger force.

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy

Spaceman Future! posted:

What is your sexual history that you assume sleeping with a woman makes her dress up in an outfit fashioned for a supervillian's funeral?

Guess you never smashed a girl in her goth phase back in HS.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

BubbleGoose posted:

Gotta say I'm pretty happy how the Ramsey/Reek story line is shaping up. I liked Ramsey from the beginning, but only now has he been put in some compelling scenes. Alfie Allen is so good playing Reek I almost don't want him to turn back into Theon. ...but I kinda do.
How could you possibly like Ramsey?

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

DFu4ever posted:

Yeah, Oberyn's fighting style did pretty much make it a mismatch.

Dhalsim vs Zangief :smug:

Play 100% well but one fuckup and you eat the SPD!

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

I totally saw the ending coming, but it didn't make me :magical: any less.

Littlefinger brought out Sigur Ros to do Joy Division covers and a few hours later...

I did not see the ending coming up until right before the fight. Once the girl said "come back soon" I was like "oh for fucks sake". All they needed was her to announce she was with child beforehand and Oberyn to talk about going back to school and/or opening up an orphanage when he got back. I made the :magical: face myself at the end.

edit:

Na'at posted:

Guess you never smashed a girl in her goth phase back in HS.

:bravo:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Vehementi posted:

And then he falls the gently caress over unconscious. Adrenaline is a hell of a drug (especially when you're already an enormous rage monster). It pushes the suspension of disbelief but we're also in a world of dragons and ice monsters.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

The In The Episode video on says that it's Sansa trying to manipulate Littlefinger by exploiting his weakness (his obsession with Cat).

That same video also confirms that the Mountain was poisoned during the fight.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Pleasant Friend posted:

I'm just thinking, how many more people have to die before Meryn loving Trant is considered the strongest fighter left in Westeros?

Three stable boys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

vanbags posted:

Technically didn't he step down from the King's Guard?

Naw, he was going to in exchange for Tywin showing mercy to the convicted Tyrion and allowing him to join the Watch instead of being executed, but Tyrion "hosed that up" by taking the law out of Tywin's hands. I assume he still is one.

• Locked thread