Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

DoctorStrangelove posted:

The fight was so Dark Souls it was almost painful.

Hahah, that's what I was thinking too. It is like someone doing a taunt when their opponent has a sliver of life left and the other guy manages to get a back stab and kill him instantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.
You know, I'm not really all that shocked with this episode. I'm...disappointed, of course I wanted Oberyn to win. But I'm not shocked. It's very clearly GRRM's gimmick to go for subversions by killing characters the audience is rooting for and who would heroically win in other media, in the name of "that's not how things would go in reality."

Which, of course, is true, but...it's making for some boring, predictable writing. I want to be surprised and WOAH HOLY poo poo by this show. but I'm just not because these big major events that have all this buildup are following a trend of "the guy you think will win and want to win, actually dies".

That works amazingly well the first time, somewhat the second...but it very quickly loses its impact and just becomes tiring.

The only thing WOAH HOLY poo poo about this was the brutality of it, but that's - that's discouraging. The most shocking thing about the show shouldn't be something that lets me compare it to Saw or Hostel!

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
How many times has that happened other than Ned and Oberyn, honestly? Twice in four seasons does not a trend make.

(It's possible I am actually forgetting something important this isn't just facetiousness)

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

The only reason I'm not giving up on the show when Oberyn lost was the hope that The Hound will still get a chance to kill his brother in a super brutal way.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I cant tell if Arya was laughing at her twisted fate or the Hound :psyduck:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

You have no idea...

Real: I'm figuring this based on how that scene ended. "I know what you want" and then the next scene she's in she's all dressed up like she's in his weird dungeon bird fetish outfit. The guy above has it pretty right, we'd know if someone has sex on this show, usually. However, Sophie Turner probably wasn't an adult when they filmed it and we don't know if she's signed on to do sex scenes yet (can't wait to see the thread when they announce whether or not that's happening).

I'm pretty sure she's clear to do nude scenes, but I'd rather she didn't. Dany's are weird enough and Emilia Clarke is older than I am.

No More Heroes posted:

I cant tell if Arya was laughing at her twisted fate or the Hound :psyduck:

A bit of everything I imagine.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
I think it's at her ridiculous journey to get here being maybe pointless.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Zombies' Downfall posted:

How many times has that happened other than Ned and Oberyn, honestly? Twice in four seasons does not a trend make.

(It's possible I am actually forgetting something important this isn't just facetiousness)

I was pretty shocked when Robb and Cat died.

Modest Proportion
Dec 16, 2012

"Oh wrangling schools, that search what fire
Shall burn this world, had none the wit
Unto this knowledge to aspire,
That this her fever might be it?"

"Did you just smell me?"
I think this is the part of the series where Arya, Sansa, and Tyrion can relate to another fictional character's reaction upon realizing that his back is against the wall and the only option left is unmitigated, merciless insanity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOwvr3tIWAo

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

There are so many amendments in the constitution of the United States of America--I can only choose one!
Poor Sam. lol

John Bradley West posted:

Speaking at the UK launch of the show's fourth season, Bradley said: "I had one fan come up to me. He said, 'I love Game of Thrones'. I said, 'Thank you'. He said, 'Can I ask one question?'. I said, 'Of course'. He said... 'Why are you still so fat? I can't buy it'...In a show where there are dragons, zombies... there's a woman who gives birth to a cloud! And the one thing that you can't buy and don't get is me being a bit podgy!"

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

BubbleGoose posted:

How could you not like Ramsey? He's charismatic in a creepy way. Plus the boy looks drat good with his shirt off.

Na'at posted:

Seriously now that Obie's out he's right behind Tyrion as far as entertaining and fun characters go.

Agreed. Liked him as Barry but in this series him and his Daddy hit it out of the park almost every time they are on screen. Papa Bolton is quieter but his little nuances are amazing. The red wedding armour reveal and eyes are priceless. Gonna miss them when they die. Not a book reader... just guessing. Valar Morghulis and alla that.

My friend was confused by Arya laughing when she heard Lysa is dead but I thought Arya nailed that moment of bleak laughter.

monster on a stick posted:

In the "Behind the Scenes" they said Oberyn was also a cop on his last day before retirement.

Does this mean his son grows up to become a masked vigilante?

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Just saw the behind the scenes, Sansa isn't Cersei and knows she can make political moves that don't involve her vagina. This is probably good for her character and the show.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Aristobulus posted:

The only thing WOAH HOLY poo poo about this was the brutality of it, but that's - that's discouraging. The most shocking thing about the show shouldn't be something that lets me compare it to Saw or Hostel!
Yes but Saw or Hostel don't put this much effort into character development. Having a head squished in Saw is mundane, it has to be done with an elaborate torture device like bear-trap-in-reverse to get audiences involved. GOT knows that more horror resides in the who than in the how of the gory details.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

vanbags posted:

So the Mountain is supposed to be the baddest man in the Seven Kingdoms, universally feared by all men, including Jaime Lannister who was supposedly the best swordsman in the land? And he was not only handily beat, but showboated on, by Oberyn?

The Mountain is universally feared because he's huge and apparently proved that the fountain of youth is cutting off horse's heads.

Oberyn is not some mincing pomp though- he's called the Red Viper because when he's not loving his way through every brothel in town, he's one of the most skilled and vicious warriors in the kingdom. Remember his intro scene? "We need to find him before he kills someone."

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Von_Doom posted:

Does this mean his son grows up to become a masked vigilante?

All of them. And the daughters.

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Yeah, it's not a lot if you write it out, yet he does have a reputation for killing good characters.

Which means, for me, I expect good characters to die and I'm not shocked or moved when he does it, anymore. The reaction is more of a sigh and "what now?" kind of thing.

I mean, it's clearly meant to be a subversion - Oberyn was built up this entire season, for that fight. He was winning the fight. Vast majority of media would have him heroically win. So of course GRRM kills him. I'm not saying that sarcastically, all the build up and hype meant I knew Oberyn was going to lose, and expected him to die, because GRRM is predictable now.

By trying so hard to subvert expectations, eventually that means he meets expectations. This really isn't a show as clever as I thought at first, where anything can happen who knows? It's just a show where GRRM does the opposite of what the average show would do.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

All of them. And the daughters.

Now I want Tywin to only die when faced with an army of masked Spanish children. "You killed my father...prepare to die."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I don't know, maybe Oberyn survived that!

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Maybe the mountain was rusty from only fighting farmers and peasants. His size and give no fucks attitude is why people fear him. I don't think he's a renowned swordsman or anything.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Jamies expressions throughout were pretty comical. Gonna pour one out for Oberyn tonight.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Somebody get Thoros of Myr stat!

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Aristobulus posted:

You know, I'm not really all that shocked with this episode. I'm...disappointed, of course I wanted Oberyn to win. But I'm not shocked. It's very clearly GRRM's gimmick to go for subversions by killing characters the audience is rooting for and who would heroically win in other media, in the name of "that's not how things would go in reality."

Which, of course, is true, but...it's making for some boring, predictable writing. I want to be surprised and WOAH HOLY poo poo by this show. but I'm just not because these big major events that have all this buildup are following a trend of "the guy you think will win and want to win, actually dies".

That works amazingly well the first time, somewhat the second...but it very quickly loses its impact and just becomes tiring.

The thing is, I've read authors who regularly kill their characters for shock value. Usually they come from pointless, unsatisfying sources and try to be 'realistic' but they always come off as cheap, badly written and often pointless besides trolling your reader. GRMM does it well, every major character death has massive consequences.

Ned Stark's death started a war. Robb Stark's death lead to the eventually slaying of Joffery and probably even more poo poo down the line. They're never empty. And he always leaves enough of them around so you keep reading. Obviously, if you do too much of this people will eventually stop reading your books since you are basically throwing away novels worth of character development just to prove that 'no one is safe'. Which I've done before. Because at a certain point, you just stop becoming invested and the narrative simply isn't enough to keep you interested. GoT definitely skirts the edge of it.

Unfortunately, Oberyn is a secondary character who basically serves to bury Tyrion even deeper. I don't think GRMM is at the point of trolling his readers and writing events simply to piss them off or to solely subvert expectations. (Not yet, anyway). The whole premise to GRMM's writing basically boils down to this: "This character has a problem. How can I keep making that problem worse?" If you go with that in mind, you probably won't be surprised. Nothing ever works out, because where's the fun in that? The fun comes from seeing how a character is able to get around the mountains of poo poo GRMM puts on them. Or when that character can't get out of it, the effects of the death of that character on all the others.

Dapper Dan fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jun 2, 2014

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

No More Heroes posted:

I was pretty shocked when Robb and Cat died.

Robb's campaign was basically "Dude you we're doing well but this decision... well you are loving up... DUDE YOU'RE loving UP! DUDE WHAT ARE YOU EVEN DOING ANYMORE?!"

And then everyone died because he was SUCH A gently caress UP. He's lucky he didn't have Theon's arc for being such a gently caress-up.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

BubbleGoose posted:

I don't think Tyrion's going to die, because...well, it's being built up too much. But would Tywin let Tyrion die? That's actually a good question. Because when he had the chance to kill Tyrion, he didn't. His reason? Because Tyrion is a Lannister. It should sting Tywin's pride, if anything, that someone killed one of his own and got away with it.

You just made me realize how weird it is that Tywin doesn't seem to care who killed Joffrey. If he wanted to find out for sure who did it he would have a real trial, or send Varys out to crack the case or something.

cream of the clop
Sep 24, 2005

serious duck
Does anyone have a picture of that gnarly flayed dude in Moat Cailin? I don't have a capture card for my TV.

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

Jerusalem posted:

Whoever made Jamies fake hand can make Oberyn a fake head

James Hardon
May 31, 2006
My penis size is quite small.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jun 3, 2014

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Aristobulus posted:

Yeah, it's not a lot if you write it out, yet he does have a reputation for killing good characters.

Which means, for me, I expect good characters to die and I'm not shocked or moved when he does it, anymore. The reaction is more of a sigh and "what now?" kind of thing.

I mean, it's clearly meant to be a subversion - Oberyn was built up this entire season, for that fight. He was winning the fight. Vast majority of media would have him heroically win. So of course GRRM kills him. I'm not saying that sarcastically, all the build up and hype meant I knew Oberyn was going to lose, and expected him to die, because GRRM is predictable now.

By trying so hard to subvert expectations, eventually that means he meets expectations. This really isn't a show as clever as I thought at first, where anything can happen who knows? It's just a show where GRRM does the opposite of what the average show would do.

I still loved Oberyn even though he was clearly going to die for a hundred reasons. I still hoped he might win, even believed he could for a fleeting moment that made me feel dumb as gently caress. Did my expectation detract from the emotional impact of the moment? Yeah, absolutely, but I was still able to get invested in the character and the fight. Say what you will about not being able to subvert expectations like they could in season one, that's pretty impressive.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I think it would have been clever if Oberyn had actually forced out a confession that Tywin ordered the rape and the infanticide in so many words, then got his head crushed in. Oberyn's storyline feels kind of pointless as-is.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Aristobulus posted:

You're not wrong, but I think you're being slightly unfair.

GRRM has said in interviews that he doesn't do the hero dying thing to be shocking or edgy. He does it so that you stop skimming over random action scenes that involve protagonists- because every time a character, now matter how good or major, is in danger, whether it's at the end of a book/season or not, he wants the very real possibility that they could get their head exploded.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

The Oldest Man posted:

I think it would have been clever if Oberyn had actually forced out a confession that Tywin ordered the rape and the infanticide in so many words, then got his head crushed in. Oberyn's storyline feels kind of pointless as-is.

Oberyn really was meant more for Tyrion, to give him a little bit of hope and then crush it. His death was necessary for the character development of Tyrion, wherever that may lead.

EDIT:

Avasculous posted:

GRRM has said in interviews that he doesn't do the hero dying thing to be shocking or edgy. He does it so that you stop skimming over random action scenes that involve protagonists- because every time a character, now matter how good or major, is in danger, whether it's at the end of a book/season or not, he wants the very real possibility that they could get their head exploded.

And this is why he does it well, precisely because he's not doing it for shock value. And that their deaths do resonate and aren't pointless, even if they seem to be.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

No More Heroes posted:

Somebody get Thoros of Myr stat!

Thoros: All things are possible through the Red God!
:unsmigghh:
Thoros: nevermind :nyoron:

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

I love this show. Had a good group of watchers over tonight and we freaked out at all the right moments. Holy poo poo what a brutal end to Oberyn.

Welp, that's how things go in Westeros.

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

There are so many amendments in the constitution of the United States of America--I can only choose one!

Avasculous posted:

And I gotta say, it works. At least it does in the tv show. If this were a typical fantasy where good guys mostly win the fights and battles, it wouldn't be nearly as nail biting.

I truly think GRRM has ruined me for fantasy and sci-fci fiction from now on. I worry that the Star Wars reboot won't have a fraction of GoT's intensity.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

Carlton Banks posted:

Whoever made Jamies fake hand can make Oberyn a fake head

Last guy with a gold head did not do too well

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Aristobulus posted:

You didn't pay attention to the episode at all. There was so much amazing writing tonight, and it's sad that all of it flew over your head.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

It's getting past that fine line of not giving a poo poo or wanting to keep watching because any character you care about is killed off anyway.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Fenarisk posted:

It's getting past that fine line of not giving a poo poo or wanting to keep watching because any character you care about is killed off anyway.

Littlefinger has never been doing better buddy.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

rydiafan posted:

1) Rolling over isn't getting up.
2) Who says he punched at full strength? He's a freak of nature. Him at 10% strength could knock all your teeth out, especially given that he's wearing a metal gauntlet. It's like, try having a dying elephant step on your head and tell me how much not being at "full strength" stopped it from squishing you.
3) There are dragons and wizards. Shut the gently caress up.

??? Go watch it, he gets up, he's kneeling over Oberyn. Upon rewatch he actually lifts Oberyn's entire body over him and to the other side, with one arm, then fully gets up onto his knees and speaks a few sentences with a popped lung and a giant hole in his chest.

But yeah. Wizards and dragons. Makes it all really believable and well written :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Jack of Hearts posted:

How in God's name has Sam managed to stay fat after all he's been through? And how do the Unsullied even work as soldiers, do they have testosterone replacement therapy in Essos?

Maybe they just took the pillar and left the stones.

Alternatively: a wizard did it the same one that did varys :v:

• Locked thread