Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"
Quick question;

I5 2320 quad core @ 3Ghz

or

Radeon HD7750

- Which do I upgrade first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

What are you having trouble with that makes you need to upgrade?

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

beejay posted:

What are you having trouble with that makes you need to upgrade?

Nothing huge, I just have some vouchers that are burning a hole in my pocket and I've come across the first game (Watch_Dogs, of course) to give my computer a bit of strain. I bought my current set up 2 years ago as a budget mid-range gaming machine and figured now was a good time to beef it up a wee bit.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Your GPU is bottlenecking you tremendously. What's your budget look like in terms of upgrading?

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

Hace posted:

Your GPU is bottlenecking you tremendously. What's your budget look like in terms of upgrading?

Perfect, that was the answer I was hoping for. In answer to your question, about $250 odd or enough to opt for one of the GPUs recommended in op, probably a GTX 760 or thereabouts.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Simiain posted:

Perfect, that was the answer I was hoping for. In answer to your question, about $250 odd or enough to opt for one of the GPUs recommended in op, probably a GTX 760 or thereabouts.

Yeah, that seems about right. Make sure you get one with a decent cooler!

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Shaocaholica posted:

Edit: wow, some of these off lease rigs are redic in the $700 range

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221416446902

Considering the original cost and the amount of ram, that looks pretty awesome. Not familiar with the processor but its hard to imagine this is a bad deal for actual work.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Simiain posted:

The AMD R9-280 (non-X) is still not in the OP, but make sure to give it a look as well. It stacks up well with the 760 for around $250. Watch Dogs you might want to go nvidia, but I personally have an AMD card and it works fine for me.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
Can I use Windows Memory Diagnostic to check my memory or should I use Memtest86?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

fookolt posted:

Can I use Windows Memory Diagnostic to check my memory or should I use Memtest86?

Use memtest from here: http://www.memtest.org/

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
Can anybody recommend a good stress test I can use to see how my PC will handle a heavy load?

Thanks!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

Can anybody recommend a good stress test I can use to see how my PC will handle a heavy load?

Thanks!

OCCT.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.
Thinking of buying a Xonar Essence STX sound card & Sennheiser HD 650 headphones as well as a ModMic for gaming, music and eventually the Oculus Rift, as well as Logitech Z63 2.1 speakers to play music when I'm shuffling around the house.

I can get the headphones for ~300€. HD700's are a significant step up in price and I'm not that much of an audiophile; I'm just tired of lovely headphones and want to invest in a good pair that will last a long time.

Welmu fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jun 2, 2014

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Welmu posted:

Thinking of buying a Xonar Essence STX sound card & Sennheiser HD 650 headphones as well as a ModMic for gaming, music and eventually the Oculus Rift, as well as Logitech Z63 2.1 speakers to play music when I'm shuffling around the house.

I can get the headphones for ~300€. HD700's are a significant step up in price and I'm not that much of an audiophile; I'm just tired of lovely headphones and want to invest in a good pair that will last a long time.

If you're going to splurge why not get a pair of 5"/8" studio monitors.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Welmu posted:

What headphones are you stepping up from? I swear by my Sony MDR-7506s, which are well known in the professional audio world for being solid studio monitors by having accurate sound reproduction (and not to mention ridiculously cheap for the level of quality). I've used them with my computer setups for about 10 years exclusively (i.e., I never hook up speakers), so I've worn them for long hours and listened to voice, sound effects, and music through them. The sound quality will only be limited by the sound source. Of course, if you have a preference for a particular audio profile (say, you dig richer and smoother sounds, at the expense of accurate reproduction), then you'll probably prefer the HD-650s. Beyerdynamic DT880s are solid choice for something in between. If possible, you definitely want to listen to any prospective pair of headphones before dropping a couple hundred down on them (or make sure that there is an easy return policy in place). Just note that sometimes it takes a bit to wear in new headphones, and different headphones will be suited for different types of audio.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I'm finally upgrading from my brokeass laptop from 2007 so I pieced together a desktop build based on the OP's recommendations. My uses will be casual gaming, sheet music processing and playback (Sibelius), and regular consumer type uses. There's a possibility I may want to do some light music stuff in the future with Ableton or something (nothing professional, just farting around). Budget is $1200 before display. How's everything look?

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qd466h
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qd466h/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qd466h/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI H97M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($88.99 @ Mac Mall)
Memory: AMD 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($86.88 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($139.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($319.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 350D MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($26.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: Intel 62205ANHMWDTX1 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($33.99 @ Mac Mall)
Total: $1140.75
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-02 01:38 EDT-0400)

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Colonel Whitey posted:

I'm finally upgrading from my brokeass laptop from 2007 so I pieced together a desktop build based on the OP's recommendations. My uses will be casual gaming, sheet music processing and playback (Sibelius), and regular consumer type uses. There's a possibility I may want to do some light music stuff in the future with Ableton or something (nothing professional, just farting around). Budget is $1200 before display. How's everything look?

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qd466h
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qd466h/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qd466h/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI H97M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($88.99 @ Mac Mall)
Memory: AMD 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($86.88 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($139.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($319.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 350D MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($26.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: Intel 62205ANHMWDTX1 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($33.99 @ Mac Mall)
Total: $1140.75
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-02 01:38 EDT-0400)

Cheaper RAM http://pcpartpicker.com/part/crucial-memory-bls2kit4g3d1609ds1s00 and try to buy from only 1-2 stores to make returns easier but you're good to go.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Cool; thanks. Is there like a mega testing/utility suite I can get for my USB? Something that also lets me manage partitions or something? It would be great to have just one USB drive that does all of this stuff.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

Shaocaholica posted:

If you're going to splurge why not get a pair of 5"/8" studio monitors.
I'll be using headphones for the vast majority of the time. Otherwise I'm just piping background music so the 2.1 quality needs to be better than terrible 50€ speakers but nowhere near audiophile level equipment. Additionally, they have to plug into that soundcard.

marjorie posted:

What headphones are you stepping up from? [...] If possible, you definitely want to listen to any prospective pair of headphones before dropping a couple hundred down on them (or make sure that there is an easy return policy in place). Just note that sometimes it takes a bit to wear in new headphones, and different headphones will be suited for different types of audio.
I'm replacing Sennheiser 320's that lose sound when adjusting volume and generally have poor audio quality. The store has Sennheiser HD600 and HD700 as well as Beyerdynamic DT 880s available for testing, and as I work there the return policy is non-problematic.

Thanks for the answers. I should probably ask these question is the Inspect You Gadgets headphone thread.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

marjorie posted:

What headphones are you stepping up from? I swear by my Sony MDR-7506s, which are well known in the professional audio world for being solid studio monitors by having accurate sound reproduction (and not to mention ridiculously cheap for the level of quality). I've used them with my computer setups for about 10 years exclusively (i.e., I never hook up speakers), so I've worn them for long hours and listened to voice, sound effects, and music through them. The sound quality will only be limited by the sound source. Of course, if you have a preference for a particular audio profile (say, you dig richer and smoother sounds, at the expense of accurate reproduction), then you'll probably prefer the HD-650s. Beyerdynamic DT880s are solid choice for something in between. If possible, you definitely want to listen to any prospective pair of headphones before dropping a couple hundred down on them (or make sure that there is an easy return policy in place). Just note that sometimes it takes a bit to wear in new headphones, and different headphones will be suited for different types of audio.
The Sony 7506 is a great pair of monitors and closed headphones, but there's really no comparing to Sennheiser 650s.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So I am going to be buying a new gaming PC this weekend and this is what I am shooting for.

I still have some issues of choice within my build.

GPU: GTX 770 or R9 290 (Haven't decided here)
CPU: i5 4670
CPU Heatsink: I don't know if it is needed, but I know I do want a quiet computer
Mobo: I don't really know what to go here. ASUS Z87 PRO? MSI GD65, or GD45
Memory; 2 X 4GB DDR3
HDD: 1 TB and maybe one 120GB SSD
PSU: Either Roswell Capstone 650 or Seasonic M12II 620
Case: Cosair C70, or ARC MIDI R2.

dox
Mar 4, 2006
Just wanting to check my sanity. Building this for a virtualization homelab- going to be installing ESX.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570S
Mobo: ASUS Z97M-PLUS
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini Black
PSU: SeaSonic SS-300ET Bronze 300W.

Already have 32GB of memory, a 4 port Intel NIC (compatible with ESX) and a few drives to use- wanted to make sure I'm not making some colossal mistake.

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Fat_Cow posted:

So I am going to be buying a new gaming PC this weekend and this is what I am shooting for.

CPU Heatsink: I don't know if it is needed, but I know I do want a quiet computer
Memory; 2 X 4GB DDR3

Don't get the 4670, get this http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646i54690

For the motherboard either this http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-h97mpro4 or the MSI-G43 would suit you. You don't need a Z** if you're not overclocking (unless there's features on it you need).

For a cooler go with http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rr212e20pkr2 if you want a quiet computer, otherwise the stock cooler will do its job.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Fat_Cow posted:

Memory; 2 X 4GB DDR3

Take another look at the OP for your processor and motherboard, specifically that there are new processors out. i5 4690 and an H97 motherboard. No need for a Z motherboard along with a non-K processor.

As to your GPU, here's the benchmark comparisons, you didn't mention your resolution, but just take a look at benchmarks and prices and decide.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

dox posted:

Just wanting to check my sanity. Building this for a virtualization homelab- going to be installing ESX.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570S
Mobo: ASUS Z97M-PLUS
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini Black
PSU: SeaSonic SS-300ET Bronze 300W.

Already have 32GB of memory, a 4 port Intel NIC (compatible with ESX) and a few drives to use- wanted to make sure I'm not making some colossal mistake.

You don't need a Z97 motherboard and you're missing a Haswell Refresh CPU. Specifically, grab an i5-4590S CPU and an ASUS H97M-E motherboard.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Alright thanks for the quick responses, I plan on running a 1920 x 1080 for my resolution. As for those mobos I was just worrying about bottlenecking which I assume isn't really possible, and yeah I just noticed those 4690s came out so I'll replace my i5 with that. However is using a SSD for boot + WoW or something worth it or will all that loading slowly kill it?

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

Fat_Cow posted:

However is using a SSD for boot + WoW or something worth it or will all that loading slowly kill it?

An SSD is very, *very* nice to have; your boot and load times will be significantly faster than on a HDD. A Samsung 840 EVO 120GB is specified to endure 10GB writes per day for 28 years.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Welmu posted:

You don't need a Z97 motherboard and you're missing a Haswell Refresh CPU. Specifically, grab an i5-4590S CPU and an ASUS H97M-E motherboard.

Thanks, Welmu-- this is why I posted. Appreciate the recommendations.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Those Motherboards you guys linked, the H97s. Is there any place I can get a good review on them? Since I don't see very many customer reviews.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Fat_Cow posted:

Those Motherboards you guys linked, the H97s. Is there any place I can get a good review on them? Since I don't see very many customer reviews.

That's because H97 and Z97 are brand new, the partner chipsets to Haswell refresh.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

That's because H97 and Z97 are brand new, the partner chipsets to Haswell refresh.

Ah alright. But those brands are rock solid right(ASROCK, ASUS, MS)? I know some brands you are suppose to avoid like the plague for certain products.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
I ran some stress testing on my system last night and my CPU was getting above 75C while under max load. Should I be looking to do something to improve the cooling?

Related, I could barely get my GPU above 55C :v:

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

It looks from your post history that you are not overclocking and using a stock cooler. If that is the case, you are fine.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
Oops yeah, that's correct. I probably should have mentioned what my setup was :downs:

Thanks! I do have a third fan sitting unused though, so maybe if I'm feeling frisky I'll try to find a place for it that won't create some sort of tornado in my case.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

Fat_Cow posted:

Ah alright. But those brands are rock solid right(ASROCK, ASUS, MS)? I know some brands you are suppose to avoid like the plague for certain products.
I repair and assemble PCs for a living and I recommend ASUS motherboards. ASROCK and MSI aren't bad (except any MSI mobo with Killer NICs or dragons all over it) in the same sense that AMD processors aren't bad but Intel is just better.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Alright thanks for all the help.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Welmu posted:

in the same sense that AMD processors aren't bad but Intel is just better.

What? There is absolutely no way in which this analogy is even remotely true. (Except MSIs with Killer NICs, in which case carry on.)

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Does anyone make a small barebones PC that has these features:

-Full power(high end quad+) Intel CPU support
-low profile cards only
-internal power supply
-custom mobo
-minimal drive bays like 2x2.5 or 1x3.5
-prefer desktop form factor

I mean a Mac Mini fits almost all of these requirements other than supporting discreet low profile GPUs. Steam machines come close but they're not out yet and this isn't really for that purpose. Classic shuttle SFF is almost too big as they usually supported full size GPU, 3x3.5 and 1x5.25.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

deimos posted:

What? There is absolutely no way in which this analogy is even remotely true. (Except MSIs with Killer NICs, in which case carry on.)
At work we keep statistics of the failure rates of different motherboards: MSI and ASROCK are slightly higher than ASUS. Not a lot, but still. a terrible analogy nonetheless

Welmu fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6y9smG

Obligatory "rate my build" post. I am finally upgrading my nearly 8 year old hardcore gaming rig and I need to make sure I am not beefing it. I am running on a 1920x1080 monitor and would eventually like to add a second monitor that will just display chat and stuff. I need to replace just about everything, but I happen to have a decent PSU already. That isn't the exact one in the build but it is the same brand and wattage.

I'd like to stay roughly in this price range with an upper limit of maybe $1,500 if I really need to push it. I basically use this computer for everything, but I don't do any modeling or video stuff, just gaming.

EDIT: I have over clocking parts in the build but am still debating if I will ever bother to do it. My current PC is OC'd but I did that a hell of a long time ago and, well, frankly, I forgot how.

• Locked thread