Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

satanic splash-back posted:

its not new, thats for sure

First google hit I got for it was a 2012 bodybuilding.com thread calling it a tired old meme.
That says it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
i misread the title as 'is GBS furry again' oops

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
if it's funny or not dfoesn't really matter, what matters is we can just post and have a good time

gently caress standards

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

4 pages of posts by GBS regulars arguing if their meta-humor is funny/not funny.

Let's put it this way - GBS is funny but not for the reasons you (specifically you) are posting about.

Ta-ta!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

butplug accident posted:

gbs will be funny again when the new smilies arrive. here's a sneak peek:

It's almost GBS-worthy but it just needs a few pixels changed here or there ...

Big Beef City posted:

4 pages of posts by GBS regulars arguing if their meta-humor is funny/not funny.

Oh there's emoticons for that as well

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Too much effort.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

Stultus Maximus posted:

First google hit I got for it was a 2012 bodybuilding.com thread calling it a tired old meme.
That says it all.

'a tired old meme'

-bodybuilding.com, 2012

add this to the home page no one reads lol

SA is the abandoned lot where you fall through a trap door on the sidewalk into the lair of molemen getting ready to attack the denny's in washington dc

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's almost GBS-worthy but it just needs a few pixels changed here or there ...

Oh there's emoticons for that as well

I like this

Stoic Commie posted:

SA is the abandoned lot where you fall through a trap door on the sidewalk into the lair of molemen getting ready to attack the denny's in washington dc

this too

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Stoic Commie posted:

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Mein Eyes! posted:

its evolution is interesting since 1.2 or whatever, especially considering how absolutely unfunny it was prior to that change. now that the shitwaves from that change last november are calming down a lot, weird things are happening. i gotta say I read it a lot more than i used to

I think the poverty ghost is a good meme

what do you think

Poverty Ghost is from loving 2012, christ

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I laugh.

Dick Dorkins conceptions of memes were much more weighty - evolution via thought. The culture that can successfully spread the "meme" for firemaking, or reading, will do much better than one that does not. Language forms an important part of this, as some languages are more flexible and allow for greater mixing of ideas, creating the opportunity for more "memes".

Memes = genes of thought. DNA of ideas.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Radbot posted:

Poverty Ghost is from loving 2012, christ

To be precise, the phrase "poverty ghost" was first used in relation to that photo at 12.17pm October 29 2012 :eng101:

aeternum
Sep 3, 2003

THS posted:

teh funny

in bed

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty

Sega Saturn posted:

yeah i still call them image macros probably because of sa (also because its the proper term drat it), but catchphrases always struck me as odd

because a lot of that stuff wasnt in image form. I think posting "what" was one of the last bannable catchphrases of the catchphrase era.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

gnarlyhotep posted:

if it's funny or not dfoesn't really matter, what matters is we can just post and have a good time

gently caress standards

i think you just described byob

gbs, on the other hand, is about trying as hard as you can to make everybody else as miserable as you are

tvayisnihyaami
Dec 23, 2012

by Lowtax
i have a friend who hates new GBS. according to him, he already got his $10 worth from old GBS so yeah

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

tvayisnihyaami posted:

i have a friend who hates new GBS. according to him, he already got his $10 worth from old GBS so yeah

Well it looks like gbs is reverting back to 1.0 thanks to all the SJW retards converging on the forums like a swarm of locusts.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

tvayisnihyaami posted:

sever

i am he
Feb 4, 2014

the only thing worse than old gbs is people bitching about SJW TUMBLRFEMINISTS

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Benedick Cuckold posted:

i think you just described byob

gbs, on the other hand, is about trying as hard as you can to make everybody else as miserable as you are

I must be doing it wrong then

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Well it looks like gbs is reverting back to 1.0 thanks to all the SJW retards converging on the forums like a swarm of locusts.

haven't seen any evidence of this

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

No

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

gnarlyhotep posted:

who even keeps up with the version changes?

like I'm going to hang around in QCS and pretend to care

ver.#s are hard to remember. we need release names of an arbitrary theme

e: looks like cats and sweets are taken, how about classic muscle cars

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Well it looks like gbs is reverting back to 1.0
which release version deprecates your posting

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

whoflungpoop posted:

ver.#s are hard to remember. we need release names of an arbitrary theme

e: looks like cats and sweets are taken, how about classic muscle cars

this current version is Troons With Toons, to indicate its queer anime nature

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

gnarlyhotep posted:

this current version is Troons With Toons, to indicate its queer anime nature

Excuse me but I've had it explained to me repeatedly that dickgirls are totally not gay at all sir.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

i like neo-gbs because i don't have to make any effort to post. spelling errors, grammar, who gives a gently caress too much work. now i can just poo poo out whatever pops into my head, + sometimes people have ripe rear end cartoon tittays in their avatars which is a p. nice bonus

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Rangpur posted:

i like neo-gbs because i don't have to make any effort to post. spelling errors, grammar, who gives a gently caress too much work. now i can just poo poo out whatever pops into my head, + sometimes people have ripe rear end cartoon tittays in their avatars which is a p. nice bonus

hell yeah the poo poo is bomb

e: it's the Borderlands 2 of forums

gnarlyhotep fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jun 2, 2014

catpowerd
Jan 9, 2008

swinging your guitar around
Cause they wanted to hear that meow
GBS is funny as poo poo now that I found a new weed guy.

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
Oh boy lets all talk about Chelsea Snowden again, like complete gaylords!

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
Nah. It was better when you could be banned for not effortposting. I mean, we already had FYAD for unfunny "I'm gay!" posts; even if GBS was full of Social Justice Warriors, it was at least unique in it's demand for quality. Now it's people trying to be weird twitter five years after weird twitter died.

Cucking Mama
Sep 27, 2013

Gold Medalist, 2014 shit post olympics
I've been reading fyad lately and it's funny

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

im back gbs is now funny again carry on

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

new gbs is okay but it would prob be better if everyone wasn't always trying to poo poo on everyone else in a desperate attempt to convince people that they are are actually way cool (cuz well liked and normal people are generally very openly hostile and petty at all times, right). nevermind the fact that they too hang out on an ancient internet nerd forum

being able to post whatever without getting probated is pretty good. sure you get a lot of goku/im gay garbage but its easy to gloss over. doesn't have me crying with laughter or anything but no forum is gonna do that. if you're expecting anything more than the occasional smile and a way to waste time then you should probably be doing something else

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
something awful is usually at its best when something funny and ridiculous happens irl and gives the funnier posters material to riff on. but reality has been pretty boring lately

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

i still click every single airhorn no matter what

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
so how about that jennifer larence pretty cute huh

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Benedick Cuckold posted:

something awful is usually at its best when something funny and ridiculous happens irl and gives the funnier posters material to riff on. but reality has been pretty boring lately

elliot rodger was pretty drat funny

Cucking Mama
Sep 27, 2013

Gold Medalist, 2014 shit post olympics
I hate that poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
GBS is as funny as you allow it to be.

• Locked thread