Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Pierzak posted:

Still easier than removing blobs of glue and mold lines and painting Descent minis. Whoever came up with multi-part pre-glued minis can gently caress themselves with a cactus.

Technically speaking this is what a lot of Bones minis are, and they're usually fine, but I take your general point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Just got my Crazy Boxes,

B for Basilea:
Marauder Command Sprue
10 Elf Archers
Jotunn Heavy Hailstorm Cannon
3 Ogres Trolls
Yndij + Sorak Sprue
2 Zee dreadballers
Yellow Loka piece, maybe a pawn?
Snips
Warpaints Green

So amusingly not a single Basilean in it

A for Alpha Simian
Marauder Command Sprue
10 Elf Spearmen
Marauder Raptor
3 Elohi
2 Stage 3As
2 Teraton dreadballers
Green Loka piece, I think another pawn
Snips
Red paint

Happy with what I got

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 30, 2014

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I got C is for Chovar and am thrilled. The big bags were panther sisters and corp marines! Both are things I can completely use all of.

The only disappointing thing is that there is no actual Chovar present in the box.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Yeah I actually have an Elf army now which is cool, local store was chucking out all their Kings of War stuff for a third of the price so grabbed them, not sure what I'm going to do with another Marauder command sprue but why not, a second Raptor is cool, Elohi adds to my fledgling crazy box Basilean army, all the Dreadball and Deadzone stuff is useful to me, Loka pieces are pretty, and there's no such thing as too many Jotunns :dance:

Also the metal chovar is cool but finnicky, I hope the plastic chovar is equally cool but much easier to assemble

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
the DBX pledge manager finally got online, and i have no idea what team to actually get. Help!

EDIT: i've narrowed it down to either the mechanite or sphyr team. please advise

Frobbe fucked around with this message at 08:34 on May 30, 2014

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Son of a bitch! Our GM quit in a bitchy little huff last night and I have been promoted to GM status, on account of running us through the Stuffer Shack adventure so we could learn the rules. I only know the rules for Mages and melee, since that is all we've done, and I need to come up with an actual run for next week. And since I have been reading this thread, all I really want to do is the Lebowski thing, since one of the characters was dumb enough to name himself Reaper.

You guys are a bad influence.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Frobbe posted:

the DBX pledge manager finally got online, and i have no idea what team to actually get. Help!

EDIT: i've narrowed it down to either the mechanite or sphyr team. please advise

exterrrrminate

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Frobbe posted:

After an agonizing wait I finally got my PM email late last night. I pledged for all the original Dreadball stuff and I think it's just crazy that they decided to throw in boosters for all the teams in the "Get it all" bundle. At retail prices that's over $200 worth of additional minis.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
Brokkrs!

And ruins! (painted by yours truly)

Full update here:
https://www.kickstarter.com/project..._project_update

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Those ruins look super good.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Still don't have my pledge manager invite or my Mars Attacks paypal invoice, getting annoying now.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

NTRabbit posted:

Still don't have my pledge manager invite or my Mars Attacks paypal invoice, getting annoying now.

I got my pledge manager invite but I can't go through the process since it's broken for Rampage early birds.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Swagger Dagger posted:

I got my pledge manager invite but I can't go through the process since it's broken for Rampage early birds.

Me too early bird 1 4 life

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Has there been any word when they will be sending out the Deadzone: Ruined Battlezone terrain, that was part of the Kickstarter? Im holding off on more assembly until I get mine in.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I think that ships with wave 2. As far as I know, they're only doing two waves so everything you didn't already get should be in that.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Thinking about picking up Deadzone to play with my son. Do you think a 10 year old can handle the game?

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

The Dregs posted:

Thinking about picking up Deadzone to play with my son. Do you think a 10 year old can handle the game?

Yeah, I don't think it will be a problem. The rules are light enough just ease them (him/her) into the special abilities one a ta time. Hardest part will be to limit yourself, no one likes to get stomped, especially kids. (I have kids too)

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
I really like deadzone. The game is a bit complex at first like any mini-wargame but it plays very smooth since it is basically a breakdown of quick actions and quick roll offs of consistent values with easily memorized modifiers.

:vomarine:Oath Complete! Cross Post:vomarine:

Box art?

My guys are Not-Nod guard (Even though I have never really played them and probably won't any time soon). I have also been painting my Mantic Enforcers with similar schemes but I will probably adapt this color mixture instead of what I had for them, this mixture looks better and is much easier to execute. Maybe one day that warpath game will come out with Deadzone style rules and I can play these guys. Or they will get a deadzone deck I can use.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Well, I went out and bought it. The store near me is fully stocked with Mantic stuf. Unfortunatley, the guy who works there says no one ever plays, but they like to buy Deadzone to use as 40K scenery. Oh loving well. I'll try to get the ball rolling

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
As soon as PP's Lock and Load is done, I am looking forward to digging Deadzone out in time for wave 2! Anyone ran a campaign yet, and any tips?

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Crossposting!

:vomarine: Oath Complete! :vomarine:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

NTRabbit posted:

:vomarine:OATH COMPLETE:vomarine:

Also cross posting!

Grey Hunter posted:

Finally, I've posted these before, but the Marauders just look to drat good in their Victorian British Redcoat uniforms (80th Regiment of Foot)

Hah! The 80th of foot is nothing when compared to the might of

Napoleorx Imperial Guard :mil101:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Yeah sure I'll crosspost

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

signalnoise posted:

Yeah sure I'll crosspost

I can't wait to get my stuff in.

I'm eyeballing a KR multicase, specifically the Kaiser3, since it'll hold everything I've got coming plus it'll give me some room to grow. I'm a little unsure of what tray load out to use, though. I imagine most Dreadball figures will fit into the standard 50 count troop trays, but I'm a little worried about the larger models like the Giant MVPs. Will i want a deeper tray or would they be ok to fit if I just clipped out the divider foam between 2 slots?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Bosushi! posted:

I can't wait to get my stuff in.

I'm eyeballing a KR multicase, specifically the Kaiser3, since it'll hold everything I've got coming plus it'll give me some room to grow. I'm a little unsure of what tray load out to use, though. I imagine most Dreadball figures will fit into the standard 50 count troop trays, but I'm a little worried about the larger models like the Giant MVPs. Will i want a deeper tray or would they be ok to fit if I just clipped out the divider foam between 2 slots?

I recommend you get at least one DB1 tray. The DB1 fits a small deck of cards on top of having a decent amount of slots for mans.

For the deeper trays, yes. You want deeper trays for larger figures. I got this loadout for my 2 KRU case to hold all my dreadball + deadzone: 9x DB1, 3x M4H, 2x J2H. Even the larger Deadzone minis like the marauder gunsuits or whatever will not fit in a shallow tray.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jun 1, 2014

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

NTRabbit posted:

Also cross posting!

Hah! The 80th of foot is nothing when compared to the might of

Napoleorx Imperial Guard :mil101:

The main shame here is that these two rivals will never get to face each other on the field of battle!

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

signalnoise posted:

I recommend you get at least one DB1 tray. The DB1 fits a small deck of cards on top of having a decent amount of slots for mans.

For the deeper trays, yes. You want deeper trays for larger figures. I got this loadout for my 2 KRU case to hold all my dreadball + deadzone: 9x DB1, 3x M4H, 2x J2H. Even the larger Deadzone minis like the marauder gunsuits or whatever will not fit in a shallow tray.

Thanks for the info. I'll probably just stick with the M4Hs and rip out dividers if I really want/need the space for cards. The J2H don't appear to be selectable as a core tray set which means I'd probably be paying extra for it being custom...or not. I don't really know because their website is god drat confusing. I had to consult google just to find the J2H on their own website.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Bosushi! posted:

Thanks for the info. I'll probably just stick with the M4Hs and rip out dividers if I really want/need the space for cards. The J2H don't appear to be selectable as a core tray set which means I'd probably be paying extra for it being custom...or not. I don't really know because their website is god drat confusing. I had to consult google just to find the J2H on their own website.

If you're buying cases, pick a bespoke case and type in the selections you want. You can get custom trays that way without paying through the nose for them. I never, ever use the tray selector. ALWAYS figure out what trays you want and put them in bespoke.

As an example, I believe the DB1 trays are 15 bucks on their own or something. I bought 9 along with the other poo poo, and with those in an aluminum double case it ran me 160 total. Card cases of course are much less expensive. The point though is that buying custom trays on their own is stupid because if you're buying custom trays you can buy a bespoke case filled with exactly what you want and it'll be less than the trays by themselves.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 1, 2014

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!
Would two DB1s and a V2H fit in their half-size cases? The selector thing seems to imply they would, but I'm used to three trays high being standard for cases, and that'd be four...

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

signalnoise posted:

If you're buying cases, pick a bespoke case and type in the selections you want. You can get custom trays that way without paying through the nose for them. I never, ever use the tray selector. ALWAYS figure out what trays you want and put them in bespoke.

As an example, I believe the DB1 trays are 15 bucks on their own or something. I bought 9 along with the other poo poo, and with those in an aluminum double case it ran me 160 total. Card cases of course are much less expensive. The point though is that buying custom trays on their own is stupid because if you're buying custom trays you can buy a bespoke case filled with exactly what you want and it'll be less than the trays by themselves.

This is a very good point :psyduck: why am I pricing up 6mm trays when I can buy a case full of them for half the price?

Thanks for pointing out what should have been painfully obvious but wasn't :)

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

muskets posted:

Would two DB1s and a V2H fit in their half-size cases? The selector thing seems to imply they would, but I'm used to three trays high being standard for cases, and that'd be four...

DB1 is a 1/4 height tray, and the V2H is a 1/2 height tray, so yes.

poo poo I know way too much about this and I've maybe bought way too many cases and bags and poo poo. Love that company even though their website is slow as hell and fairly difficult to navigate.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
Hey all, I was given an older army set of Abyssal Dwarves, does anyone have any good guides or ideas for painting them up? The classic red/bronze/black look is pretty spiffy, but I was curious if anyone had any better suggestions. Does Mantic have painting guides on their website, like GW used to? :vomarine:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Guys. Mantic terrain. To permanently glue into structure shapes, or not to permanently glue? I'm conflicted.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

signalnoise posted:

Guys. Mantic terrain. To permanently glue into structure shapes, or not to permanently glue? I'm conflicted.

I'd go with a bunch of preassembled shapes glued together, but not full structures. Parts of structures.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

Depends, do you visit your friends to play, or do you host games :getin:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Weirdo posted:

Depends, do you visit your friends to play, or do you host games :getin:

Neither yet

I think we'll be playing at the FLGS that's halfway between us

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

muskets posted:

I'd go with a bunch of preassembled shapes glued together, but not full structures. Parts of structures.

This is the way to do it if you want to save time, it's the best middle ground between time spent and versatility. The other alternative is to magnetise, but that costs a lot of magnets.

Grey Hunter posted:

The main shame here is that these two rivals will never get to face each other on the field of battle!

Very much so!

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

NTRabbit posted:

This is the way to do it if you want to save time, it's the best middle ground between time spent and versatility. The other alternative is to magnetise, but that costs a lot of magnets.

It's not like magnets are that expensive, really. The bigger problem with magnetization is that it seems like a giant pain on the rear end at that scale/with those sorts of requirements for alignment and structural integrity.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

signalnoise posted:

Just wanted to say you rock.

I just ordered my Kaiser3 with the bespoke method and I had to convince myself not to bump it up to the Kaiser4 for only 22 bucks more. The value is certainly there, but I think that lugging around that massive bag would get old quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?

muskets posted:

Thirding this. The clips aren't really stable enough to do huge structures without glue, but they are fine at holding together pre-glued structures.