Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

The MSJ posted:

Is there really a common problem with his leg joints or is that just exaggeration?

It's basically universal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Blackheart posted:

Get Rhinox, he's awesome.

Jin Saotome is a douchebag but his banning reason was pretty silly if I recall correctly. Back when the Hasbro version of MP-10 was about to launch Amazon (UK I think) put up a preorder at like one quarter the real price or something near that. TFW people went crazy starting to mass preorder them to see if Amazon would stick with it later, and Jin contacted them telling them to put the right price and cancel those preorders. So a lotta guys were mad at him and he gloated about it which, combined with his previous fame got him banned from the forums. It was probably a case in which everyone involved was a dumbass.
I'm utterly baffled why he'd give a gently caress if people got stuff for cheap from Amazon because of a pricing error. Like what was his endgame? I don't get it. :confused:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Xenomrph posted:

I'm utterly baffled why he'd give a gently caress if people got stuff for cheap from Amazon because of a pricing error. Like what was his endgame? I don't get it. :confused:

Jin is, like, stupid-evil. He has to constantly do the most assholish possible thing at all times or he'll die. It's the only explanation.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Xenomrph posted:

Like I said dude is a douchebag and was basically doing it to troll people and possibly gain some Hasbro points or something (he tried to suggest he worked for Hasbro and other toy companies on occassion which wasn't true) since he's always trying to make them notice him.

That said, I have some mixed feelings on that pricing thing, since it was probably some employee's mistake which could end up making someone lose their jobs if people tried to hoard all the MP-10s. Obviously Jin didn't do it with good intentions since he's an all-around horrible man.

DoctorWhat posted:

I've read about the loose legs and yeah, mine's hips aren't SUPER tight but he stands and holds poses just fine, but maybe I was lucky. Still, for something which I figure is fairly easy to fix he's a must-have figure if you liked Beast Wars or good animal-formers in the least.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

DoctorWhat posted:

I hate to be this guy (because these kinds of statements are wrong as hell when used in a sweeping way) but I bought a Hasbro Rhinox and the knees were so bad he was worthless, then I bought a takara one and it is perfect. I'm 95% sure it's more blind luck than a magic healing spell invoked by import fees...but what can I say, I was desperate and it worked for me.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Blackheart posted:

Like I said dude is a douchebag and was basically doing it to troll people and possibly gain some Hasbro points or something (he tried to suggest he worked for Hasbro and other toy companies on occassion which wasn't true) since he's always trying to make them notice him.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he scalped on the side as well.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I hate to be this guy (because these kinds of statements are wrong as hell when used in a sweeping way) but I bought a Hasbro Rhinox and the knees were so bad he was worthless, then I bought a takara one and it is perfect. I'm 95% sure it's more blind luck than a magic healing spell invoked by import fees...but what can I say, I was desperate and it worked for me.

I have a TTomy Rhinox coming, and I'm very happy about this. Will definitely report if mine also has good joints.

Some of these KO toys are impressive https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glKWVOIGW8g

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

The Taint Reaper posted:

So how many of you are finding tankor and rattrap hard to find because your stores are clogged with Scoops and Skywarps?

Kansas sucks, we just got Rhinox/Whirl.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Ka0 posted:

Some of these KO toys are impressive https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glKWVOIGW8g

That transforming not-optimus is loving amazing for $15!

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Local TRUs got the Evolution 2-Packs for Strafe and Grimlock over here, got both of them.

Strafe is actually pretty awesome. The transformation is pretty drat sad, but both modes end up pretty alright thanks to the wings being downright awesome, and it's particularly great in robot mode. Kinda wish they did something more with the arms, but it's still not at all a bad figure, and I'm absolutely glad to have him with the rest of the dinobot team. The little swoop minicon thing is a pretty neat addition as well.

Grimlock, on the other hand, I dunno. On the one hand, the voyager isn't a bad mold, and I actually kinda like the Energon Grimlock they got to go with him, except the paint apps on AoE Grimlock are different from the normal voyager (from what I've seen in the store and from what I've seen on pictures of the voyager), and the one that came with the two pack just really does not look as good. It's got a whole ton of that dull unpainted looking grey, some extra black on it on the chest and the head, and is just screaming out for more silver paint apps other than the ones on the chest piece. I'm sure I could get some paint and liven the whole thing up, but what you got from it in the first place just looks a bit like crap, paint-wise.

The figure itself is pretty neat though, and is pretty fun to transform, although the weapon is garbage.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Blackheart posted:

That said, I have some mixed feelings on that pricing thing, since it was probably some employee's mistake which could end up making someone lose their jobs if people tried to hoard all the MP-10s. Obviously Jin didn't do it with good intentions since he's an all-around horrible man.

I've read about the loose legs and yeah, mine's hips aren't SUPER tight but he stands and holds poses just fine, but maybe I was lucky. Still, for something which I figure is fairly easy to fix he's a must-have figure if you liked Beast Wars or good animal-formers in the least.
The Rhinox I ordered from HTS is the same - his legs work well enough so it's not like he's falling over like a puppet with his strings cut or anything like that.

Speaking of new toys I cracked open Swerve, Tailgate, Cosmos, and Skrapnel, and I like all four of them!

Swerve's transformation is kinda simple, but I'm totally okay with that. His head sculpt is perfect, and he's a great rendition of the IDW version.

Cosmos is cool, but I'm on the fence on if I like him more than the Igear not-Cosmos I've got. I really like the Igear version's little details like the 1950s raygun accessory and the dome helmet.

I like Skrapnel a whole lot more than I thought I would. I'm not a huge Insecticon fan (although I "inherited" all 3 G1 Insecticons as a kid, and I still have them), but he works great in both modes and he's fun to fiddle with.

Tailgate is really cool, too. I don't know that his alt-mode represents his IDW self, but his bot mode is spot-on. I find him a little fiddly to transform to car mode (specifically the rear quarter panels) but he's still really well done.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

The Taint Reaper posted:

So how many of you are finding tankor and rattrap hard to find because your stores are clogged with Scoops and Skywarps?

They are not out. The waves shipping (in strangely large numbers) to stores now are Skywarp, Scoop, Minicon Combiner, IDW Bumblebee and Armada Starscream. I actually watched a guy at Target putting them out two days ago and there were no Tankors or Rattraps in the cases. The current belief is that the new figures will ship sometime in June.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
Well hello cutey

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

404GoonNotFound posted:

Also... kinda regretting Evasion Mode Optimus. Weirdass articulation and instructions that are worse than useless, wow.

Why are the AOE Voyagers' instructions from alt mode to robot? They had to know they weren't packaging them like that.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Keldroc posted:

Why are the AOE Voyagers' instructions from alt mode to robot? They had to know they weren't packaging them like that.

It should be easy to figure out that if follow the diagrams in reverse you'll change modes.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The MSJ posted:

Is there really a common problem with his leg joints or is that just exaggeration?

Mine literally cannot stand up

Ghost Hat
Jun 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
It's a strange, non-intuitive decision to package instructions opposite to what you start with.

And the instructions were bad. Too small, bad angles on the pictures. I've bought 12 transforming robots in the past three months due to lurking this thread and these were the worst.

No regrets. Even Evasion Mode will probably grow on me.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Sire Oblivion posted:

It should be easy to figure out that if follow the diagrams in reverse you'll change modes.

Since the color pictures used make things more confusing due to color changes in the final product, plus the fact that the steps range from incredibly obvious miniscule details to large changes with no real indication as to how the piece was originally placed, that's not all that useful. Not that tough to figure out for someone who owns MPs and third party stuff, but I can see kids being pretty frustrated due to Prime's fiddly nature and Grimlock's vague placement of just about everything in dino mode. The Deluxes have instructions both ways, why not the ones that cost $10 more? Just seems weird to me.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

They apparently changed the box design at the last minute and the instructions reflect that. I expect waves 3 forward will have from robot-to-altmode instructions.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

DoctorWhat posted:

Slash and Strafe have gorilla arms, unfortunately. Technically, so does VOY Grimlock, but his gorilla arms can be unlocked at the cost of reduced kibble compression.

Yeah, I really like Strafe, Slash not so much, but this really relegates them to neutral pose hell.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ghost Hat posted:

It's a strange, non-intuitive decision to package instructions opposite to what you start with.

And the instructions were bad. Too small, bad angles on the pictures. I've bought 12 transforming robots in the past three months due to lurking this thread and these were the worst.

No regrets. Even Evasion Mode will probably grow on me.
Yeah, the AoE instructions are really poo poo. They're way, way too small and not particularly helpful.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

There was some designer Q&A recently and they asked about the instructions, it was in fact a last minute change. I generally watch videos and take at least a look at feedback threads but you can't expect smaller kids to do that (in fact I feel it'd be best if they stay away from fansites), there's always some hidden steps or cool extra details in transformers that go unnoticed because of the crap instructions.

Also it's completely irrational but it physically pains me to see mistransformed pictures, like everyone forgetting to fold up Univ. Onslaught's feet.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Xenomrph posted:

Cosmos is cool, but I'm on the fence on if I like him more than the Igear not-Cosmos I've got. I really like the Igear version's little details like the 1950s raygun accessory and the dome helmet.

I have both, when I got iGear Notsmos I had to open him up and glue a small plastic wedge just to have his head stay in robot mode. I must say, Hasbro Cosmos is the most well-articulated and least chubby-looking one to date. Payload is just a lot of fun to toil around with. The fact that they didn't go MTMTE route on robot design kinda bums me out but I can only hope for a future quarterback treatment, like the ROTF team did with Seaspray.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
When Armada deluxe Optimus came out, too many people kept his shoulders flat and stupidly mistransformed. God it irritated me.

No no no.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Is that the Optimus where his Trailer joined in and became Super Armada Optimus and it looked like a Power Ranger style thing? But yet it never really came together properly...

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Goldskull posted:

Is that the Optimus where his Trailer joined in and became Super Armada Optimus and it looked like a Power Ranger style thing? But yet it never really came together properly...

No, it's the trailer-less version that had more articulation.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

That Supercon Optimus Prime was the first Transformers toy I had bought in like seven years or something like that. So that was my introduction back into the series, the first Transformer in my now however-long-since-the-end-of-Armada collecting madness.

You may wonder, how did that toy get me into plastic crack? It didn't. That toy's a loving disaster. I got it and another toy half off in a KB sale or something, and if that was the only one I got, I probably would have been done right there.

However, the OTHER toy, was Unicron.

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah yeah yeah. How about some Scotch whiskey? You got any of that around here, or just a bunch of nonsense words?

I did similar. Hadn't bought a single bot since G2 had done it's thing and hosed off into the night. Then snagged Starscream when Armada started up, and was fairly amused by it if not impressed. Looked okay on the shelf, and fiddled with him once in a while, but he didn't get me interested in picking anything else from the line. Until the day I wandered by an endcap in Wal-Mart and saw Mr. Unicron staring menacingly out of it.

And now I have too many toys. Hooray!

I've been on a break from picking up anything new for a while now though, but I did manage to snag a Skids when he was out. He's pretty cool other than the floppiest left elbow ever. Really got to fix that.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

One of my most strong Transformers-related memories is watching Armada as an 8-year-old (having seen the 1986 movie years prior thanks to an older relative) and seeing Unicron looming out of space in his first appearance. I freaked out, I really did.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So I found out the answer to one of life's great mysteries.

How many classics transformers does it take to break a wall mounted shelf?

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

One of my most strong Transformers-related memories is watching Armada as an 8-year-old

Jesus. I was 8 when G1 started.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The Taint Reaper posted:

Well don't leave us hanging! My shelf of Optimi might be at stake!

Keldroc posted:

You're old! You're OOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLD!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The Taint Reaper posted:

You'd better post some goddamn photos of the aftermath right the hell now. :colbert:

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

You're old! You're OOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLD!

Turbo revvin' young punk, I'll straighten you out yet!

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

DoctorWhat posted:

Well don't leave us hanging! My shelf of Optimi might be at stake!

It's around 250 or so because that's the entire amount of individual robots released for classics to generations.

In retrospect it was probably a bad idea to have metroplex Omega Supreme, and unicron on a shelf.

Xenomrph posted:

You'd better post some goddamn photos of the aftermath right the hell now. :colbert:

after I find all the little pieces/making sure nothing is broken.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Keldroc posted:

Turbo revvin' young punk, I'll straighten you out yet!

Not a bad quote - for an old-timer!

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

Not a bad quote - for an old-timer!

Old timer?! That's something you'll never be if you don't reinforce your Classics shelf.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Amidst tragedy, comedy:

Nothing broke or chipped since everything just slid down to one side.

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah yeah yeah. How about some Scotch whiskey? You got any of that around here, or just a bunch of nonsense words?

Keldroc posted:

Oh good, now I feel young for only being one at the time. Thanks for that, and careful of that burr in your rotator, you old fogey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Keldroc posted:

Old timer?! That's something you'll never be if you don't reinforce your Classics shelf.

Save it! I've only got maybe 100 figures in display-quality across 4 shelves, I'm fine.