Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
It's interesting that Kouta fell into the power trap as well. Mai was even there to talk him out of it but it didn't work! I liked how during the Rider Alliance reaction to Demushu being powered up, they kept cutting to Kouta. Maybe, just maybe, Kaito will have to cut down Kouta instead :allears:

Also where's the mysterious girl?

and where's that drat horse!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

If it weren't for the fact that the chestplate is the laziest depiction of a fruit salad I've ever seen, I honestly like Kiwami Arms the most out of any of Kouta's forms.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

The music for that whole final scene was aces.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I got a preorder in for the Kachidoki SHF tonight. Preorders on Amiami were gone after literally two minutes.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

T.G. Xarbala posted:

If it weren't for the fact that the chestplate is the laziest depiction of a fruit salad I've ever seen, I honestly like Kiwami Arms the most out of any of Kouta's forms.

That's because it's supposed to be a basket of Fruits. :v:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Xelkelvos posted:

That's because it's supposed to be a basket of Fruits. :v:
Just don't touch him, or he'll turn into a cat.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Did Baron always hold that bow upside down or was that just this episode?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Rei_ posted:

He's done it before.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Rei_ posted:

At this point I think its given that Kaito will use a weapon in the wrong way somehow.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I have to gush for a moment about Acorn and Bravo here.

These two were easily the best thing about the entire episode, because of how the series has built up to this moment. They have never been full on villains, and with the last time we saw Acorn showing how conflicted and lost he is, it is fantastic to see them fully on board and part of the team. Sagara being Satan and awesome was fantastic on the villain side, but these two were the best.

From the subtle almost off camera fighting they were doing where they were actively working together, swinging around each other and smoothly working around each other, to the fact that after they all get their asses kicked inwards, THEY are the ones, not Baron, not Peaches, not Knuckle, THEY are the ones who refuse to give in and lay down.

I'm starting to see why the writer pointed out Acorn as the one adults would relate to the most and I hope he continues to build.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

Lessail posted:

It's interesting that Kouta fell into the power trap as well. Mai was even there to talk him out of it but it didn't work! I liked how during the Rider Alliance reaction to Demushu being powered up, they kept cutting to Kouta. Maybe, just maybe, Kaito will have to cut down Kouta instead :allears:

Also where's the mysterious girl?

and where's that drat horse!?

I'm pretty sure that Mai's resistance towards Kouta taking the shiny new powerup was because of what Sagara said. She may have taken the revelation as though Kouta has to become a monstrosity in order to save the world. Of course, phrasing is the problem here. Sagara said that he has to become like an Overlord, whatever that means.

Kamen Rider has done horses before, so hopefully we get to see one for Gaim.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Burkion posted:

I have to gush for a moment about Acorn and Bravo here.

These two were easily the best thing about the entire episode, because of how the series has built up to this moment. They have never been full on villains, and with the last time we saw Acorn showing how conflicted and lost he is, it is fantastic to see them fully on board and part of the team. Sagara being Satan and awesome was fantastic on the villain side, but these two were the best.

From the subtle almost off camera fighting they were doing where they were actively working together, swinging around each other and smoothly working around each other, to the fact that after they all get their asses kicked inwards, THEY are the ones, not Baron, not Peaches, not Knuckle, THEY are the ones who refuse to give in and lay down.

I'm starting to see why the writer pointed out Acorn as the one adults would relate to the most and I hope he continues to build.

Agreed, Jounouchi and Oren were my favorite part of the episode as well, and I loved Kiwami too. But above all the rest, I really want to see Minato get a chance to be badass again. I loved her when she first appeared, she just flashed crazy eyes at everyone and seemed halfway between laughing and putting a heel through someone's skull at any given moment. Now that she's not stuck dealing with Ryouma, maybe she'll get that fire back.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
So I've never given this a shot because ever since I saw Gaim's basic orange form I've always thought it looks over-designed and stupid. Now someone's telling me it's actually a good show. Is he telling the truth or is it just standard Kamen Rider fan stuff where the show is proclaimed to be great while it's airing then people immediately decide it's poo poo when it ends?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ActionZero posted:

So I've never given this a shot because ever since I saw Gaim's basic orange form I've always thought it looks over-designed and stupid. Now someone's telling me it's actually a good show. Is he telling the truth or is it just standard Kamen Rider fan stuff where the show is proclaimed to be great while it's airing then people immediately decide it's poo poo when it ends?

If you can, find some of my earlier posts in this very thread.

Find them and see how much I really did not like this show for the first 8 episodes.

Now look at the more recent pages and all of the love I have for the show.

It's a legit good show, you just gotta wade through the goofy crap to start with. It hits its stride episode 9 and never, ever stops. Save to visit some trains. And a robot.

Most of the suit designs still suck though!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

ActionZero posted:

It's an okay show. The suits never really get better and while the plot evens out after a rocky start it still hasn't reached a point where I'd recommend it as a must-see Rider show.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

ActionZero posted:

The show is amazing. The characters, music, acting, and writing are all top notch and the pacing is incredible (no more two parters and every episode advances the plot, essentially no MOTW).

It's in the running for my personal favorite Rider (other Riders watched so far: Black, W, Amazon, OOO, currently watching Fourze).

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

jonjonaug posted:

no more two parters

SOLD!

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I can't wait to see more of Commander Kaito and where Yoko goes as a character now that she's no longer under Ryouma's grasp. I hope Kaito and Yoko become the strongest team. It's crazy how Kaito went from a gimmicky walking plot device in earlier episodes to the most admirable, compelling character in the series. Yoko can have actual character development now! I'm glad Oren is still a pivotal character! Jounouchi coming back as a bro was the best! I love this show!

Kiwami Arms is, by far, the dumbest looking suit in the series, especially after how superb Kachidoki's baller design is. But I'm okay with it because the fight in this week's episode was amazing. Kiwami can be as silly looking as it wants if it has powers and choreography that sweet. Plus I like the cape, even if the suit itself is junk. Baron Lemon Arms is so cool too. Every new form been looking more stylized and svelte as the show progresses, so it's a little lame to have the final form look like an overly plastic busy mess. But I can deal with how excellent Gaim is every week.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 2, 2014

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
One thing I'm thinking about is that Kiwami seems way overpowered with its whole 'my power is all the powers :smug:' schtick, and it kind of leaves the other Riders in the dust. Now, Gen's too good a writer for us to expect either a simple steamroll all the way to the end of the show or for the entire supporting cast to immediately become irrelevant, which makes me think about how he's going to engineer some meaningful conflict. Sagara's 'you must become like an Overlord' suggests a possibility - Kiwami might be corruptive somehow, or Kouta just might not be able to handle its power, causing him to go rogue and landing the rest of the cast with the job of defeating the undefeatable. Kaito's basically Kyoko Sakura with an extra Y-chromosome already, which suggests what his role in all this is likely to be if our protagonist goes all Sayaka Miki (tragic death and/or buckets of homoeroticism optional but probable).

Just a theory.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Killer Queen posted:

Kiwami Arms is, by far, the dumbest looking suit in the series, especially after how superb Kachidoki's baller design is. But I'm okay with it because the fight in this week's episode was amazing. Kiwami can be as silly looking as it wants if it has powers and choreography that sweet. Plus I like the cape, even if the suit itself is junk. Baron Lemon Arms is so cool too. Every new form been looking more stylized and svelte as the show progresses, so it's a little lame to have the final form look like an overly plastic busy mess.

Kiwami Arms is busy, just not in the way people seem to think it is. I'm half defending it with a bit of a backhanded compliment, here, but bear with me.

Thanks to how poorly-integrated the motif is with the actual, physical design of the suit, people tend to think it's less sleek than it physically is. While Kiwami Arms is very much the least stylized suit of armor of the bunch, this is because it's literally just semi-realistic light armor compared to everyone else's fantastical, heavier-looking plates. But some people seem to think Kiwami is somehow bulkier than Kachidoki, or at least mistaken make comments to that effect when they're really talking about how slapdash the integration between Kiwami's detailing and physical design is.

In terms of physical streamlinedness, the quality of being "svelte," Kiwami Arms is literally the most svelte suit in the series. If you were to take its cape off and put it into a wind tunnel, it would have the least amount of wind resistance of any suit seen in Gaim thus far.

In contrast, Kachidoki Arms is really bulky looking and from what we've seen of it all the big wobbly bits hanging off of it don't look easy to choreograph around without some CG help, part of which is made up for by the fact that its main weapon is a gun. By contrast, Kiwami is in the most literal, physical terms the sleekest and most restrained suit Kouta has. And it's also the only suit that actually resembles a real suit of armor in its basic design. The fruit decals and level of detail make it look a lot busier than it is. I would say that just putting some fruit on a chestplate is the laziest way to get a fruit salad basket motif across, and that in terms of physical design it's uninspired. But there's no way that Kiwami Arms is less svelte and more plastic than Kachidoki Arms, the bulkiest and most plastic-covered suit Kouta's ever worn.

What you can say about Kiwami Arms is that its lack of stylization and design emphasis on ease-of-movement rather than creating impressive or iconic silhouettes like the other Riders means it's paradoxically the plainest and most boring suit in the show if you were to spraypaint over its detailing so that it were a single, flat color and texture. As it's literally just a suit of pseudo-realistic armor with some bits changed, it doesn't have any lines or details that suggest a coherent, sweeping design whole.

To put another way, Turn A Gundam is one of the most sleek and streamlined Gundam designs but a lot of people don't find it appealing on a basic level precisely because of its excessively futurist and idiosyncratic (moustachioed) take on that franchise's core property (the idea of the Gundam itself). Meanwhile, modern Gundam designs lean more and more towards big bulky backpacks with extra bits that imply sleekness and speed thanks to their lines and shapes but in actuality it's all a bunch of extra cruft on top of the core Gundam design. If Kiwami is Turn A, being streamlined and sleek but rubbing people the wrong way on a fundamental level thanks to a jarring disconnect in design progression from its predecessors, then Kachidoki is Unicorn Full Armor in that it's really busy and ludicrous with excessive additions to the core "Gaim" design if you stop think about it, but you're not given time to think about it and it fits a more logical progression based on what came before it.

Granted, if Kiwami was designed in a logical progression in terms of bulkiness from Orange Arms -> Jinba Assorted Mixed Smoothies -> Kachidoki Arms -> hypothetical "other Kiwami", it would be a GP-03 Dendrobium.

Put yet another way again, Kiwami is like buying an Aston Martin One-77 and then airbrushing a mural of a wizard on the hood so it matches your uncle's van. :iiaca:

Runa fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 3, 2014

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I think Kiwami being game breakingly powerful is on purpouse, if only because this episode has shown us a rather interesting...well, I don't even know what to call it. Contradiction, I guess?

On the one hand, we have Kouta. He's basically as stock of a hero as you can get: cares about his friends most of all, has no desire of conquest or power, only wants to save people. On the other, we have Kaito, a social darwinist who cares about his own power beyond everything else and hates the very idea of friendship.

Now check their situations. Kouta is fighting alone (his original partner, Micchy, completely and utterly betrayed him; Zack, while nice, is unimportant to the story), but has gotten by far the strongest thing in the series in Kiwami. He's now power incarnate - able to use everyone's abilities without the need of having them with him. He is, by all means, completely capable of fighting alone against anything.

Kaito, however, is on the exact opposite situation. He's lagging behind in power (Lemon Energy was not planned to begin with, and was only given to Kaito due to his popularity, thus we can assume that the original idea was that he wasn't going beyond Banana and Mango, not yet anyways. Even with Lemon Energy, he's still behind Kachidoki, much more Kiwami). On the other hand, he's also the center of the Riders. His leadership managed to unite everyone to face a single threat, and has gotten him the respect out of people as unlikely as Oren and Minato. While he's too weak to face an Overlord alone, he can fight alongside the rest of the Riders and manage something.

Notice something? Their situations are entirely opposite to their personalities. Super-friendly Kouta is alone, lone wolf Kaito found himself a team. Desire-less Kouta is now the most powerful being in the series (sans, most likely, Roshuo), power-hungry Kaito is on the level of the New Gen Riders (not enough to face an Overlord or Kouta).

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jun 3, 2014

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I like how the new suits fighting style is so different. He's much more confident contrast to orange arms.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

RBX posted:

I like how the new suits fighting style is so different. He's much more confident contrast to orange arms.

There was also a barely perceptible blur effect too so you get a sense of how much faster he is too.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The weird thing is, I get the feeling like...Kouta is still off. I'm not sure what it is, but he still doesn't feel...

It's strange. He doesn't yet feel like an adult I guess. He's still too...soft, too... I'm really not sure how to express it. And his quest for ever more power, that seems like a very bad thing, the wrong path. A hero shouldn't actively seek power like this. Part of it I guess might just be the toy aspect of the show, gotta push those forms, but the writing seemed to say that Kouta taking this power wasn't the best idea. I hope it pays off and he can finish maturing soon.

He hasn't really changed much since his last power up, character wise.

It's almost like they're trying to provoke some parallels with Kamen Rider Kuuga and his message of power-only Kuuga was brutally honest in that regard. Power, while necessary, is not good. Much like violence. And it can result in some nasty loving poo poo. Kouta hasn't had to deal with his quest for power backfiring in his face yet, and I really hope he does because that's one of the BEST things about Kuuga. Kuuga, like Kouta, sought more power to save lives-and had so much power he accidentally NUKED A PREFECTURE TO DUST. Kouta just gets fancy new toys and it's all cool and awesome.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Burkion posted:

The weird thing is, I get the feeling like...Kouta is still off. I'm not sure what it is, but he still doesn't feel...

It's strange. He doesn't yet feel like an adult I guess. He's still too...soft, too... I'm really not sure how to express it. And his quest for ever more power, that seems like a very bad thing, the wrong path. A hero shouldn't actively seek power like this. Part of it I guess might just be the toy aspect of the show, gotta push those forms, but the writing seemed to say that Kouta taking this power wasn't the best idea. I hope it pays off and he can finish maturing soon.

It's almost like they're trying to provoke some parallels with Kamen Rider Kuuga and his message of power-only Kuuga was brutally honest in that regard. Power, while necessary, is not good. Much like violence. And it can result in some nasty loving poo poo. Kouta hasn't had to deal with his quest for power backfiring in his face yet, and I really hope he does because that's one of the BEST things about Kuuga. Kuuga, like Kouta, sought more power to save lives-and had so much power he accidentally NUKED A PREFECTURE TO DUST. Kouta just gets fancy new toys and it's all cool and awesome.

I feel like that might be somewhat the point since Sagara's last little stinger was "Part of your fight will be the struggle with what [Becoming/having the power of an overlord] means." So they seem to be setting up something about that. Even Kouta sounded a bit afraid of his own power at the end of the episode.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Burkion posted:

It's cause he doesn't have the horse yet :colbert:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Given that all the opening showed them fighting in what looked like a much more barren, sparse area, hell, dude might even end up having to nuke the city in the end to keep the fruits/flora from spreading. Just to really, really bring that monkey's paw full circle.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Given that all the opening showed them fighting in what looked like a much more barren, sparse area, hell, dude might even end up having to nuke the city in the end to keep the fruits/flora from spreading. Just to really, really bring that monkey's paw full circle.

That's like saying that every episode of classic Doctor Who must have taken place on a planet ravaged by nuclear war. Sometimes a quarry is just a quarry.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

boom boom boom posted:

That's like saying that every episode of classic Doctor Who must have taken place on a planet ravaged by nuclear war. Sometimes a quarry is just a quarry.

Yeah I mean it's three armies meeting for one climatic battle. Kind of hard to fit 3 armies in fancy formations in anything that isn't an open field.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I feel like that might be somewhat the point since Sagara's last little stinger was "Part of your fight will be the struggle with what [Becoming/having the power of an overlord] means." So they seem to be setting up something about that. Even Kouta sounded a bit afraid of his own power at the end of the episode.

Yeah, last episode has the discussion between Sagara and Roshuo. The Zenith Lock is a test as well as a swanky new powerup.

Thurm
Nov 11, 2008
Aussie Yggdrasill boss is my new favourite character. That acting. :australia:

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I thought I'd be madder at Micchy getting away, but Micchy using his new underling as a literal meat shield followed by that unstable laughter proved otherwise. Urobuchi be like "why have the Micchy reveal now when we can BREAK HIM HARDER".

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Subs

English-speakers in Kamen Rider :allears:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

So Micchy gets more and more batshit insane every episode. Now he's even doing the :moreevil: laugh. Somehow, this is incredibly enjoyable, he can keep running away if it means we see him breaking down more and more.

Also it took no time whatsoever for Oren to realize Zangetsu-Shin wasn't Takatora, dude's observant of his love interests.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Micchy does have a point; he's been long overdue for an upgrade besides Melon Energy. :(

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
Oh it's Urobuchi's version of OOOs. I'm honestly wondering who's going to die next. Mai and Kaito are seeming like especially good inspirational corpses right now, but I'd throw Minato in there too just because she's a female rider.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Holy poo poo, that guy with the British/Australian/Whatever accent is a terrible actor.

Edit: Can't decide if all the bigging up of Kaito is setting him up for death/a massive fall or they're pulling some switcheroo and moving him up to main character while Kouta loses himself to the Overlord powers (presumably what that scene with him not being able to taste things properly any more was all about). Also totally called Mai having the hots for Kaito.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 9, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Darksaber posted:

Oh it's Urobuchi's version of OOOsBlade.

Yeah but I mean it's a pretty obvious set up so I'm expecting some twist for it here soon.

Sakurazuka posted:

Edit: Can't decide if all the bigging up of Kaito is setting him up for death/a massive fall or they're pulling some switcheroo and moving him up to main character while Kouta loses himself to the Overlord powers (presumably what that scene with him not being able to taste things properly any more was all about)

Like this second thing here.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Kouta has been using the belt for sustenance for probably way longer than anyone else, which probably has the side effects we're seeing now.

But I had a thought occur. What if: The blonde Mai is the fallen "queen" and the overlords aren't just metaphorical parallels but actual parallel versions? That's why Sagara keeps helping Kouta, because he knew the Kouta over there and it tuns out that Roshuo is Kaito's parallel version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah but I mean it's a pretty obvious set up so I'm expecting some twist for it here soon.

Like this second thing here.

You're right of course, I just found it funny because I just finished watching that show like last week. OOOs, that is, I haven't seen any of Blade.

• Locked thread