Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Signal posted:

I Signal oath six Strain dudes from Sedition Wars (in 28mm)

lovely completion picture!

for Speed Painting. I'll have better pictures in time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Fancy bases month? Time to break out this guy I guess:

:siren: I hereby doth oath for ye olde month of June, one stately Dreadnought :siren:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
questions first, then to the Oaths!

Lungboy posted:

Another jurnal question: do otherwise empty bases count? I have 2 oval flying bases that fit the bill, but the flyers were going to be next month's oath. Can I do the bases (plus the minis i had planned) this month for the Jurnal?
Yes! If you model up the bases, you've made a 'model', which can then be 'painted' as an 'Oath'. Because they'd be judged for this month, I'll have to remind the judges to specifically ignore the bases next month when you mount your flyers on the bases you paint this month. Savvy?

Rahotep75 posted:

On another totally unrelated note, can I re-oath something that wasn't even painted or would that have to count as a Saving the Whales?

Anything regarding Save Da Whales is a question for Leperflesh. If it's got no paint on it at all I would say you can re-oath it, but I'm not sure if that would clash with the Save Da Whales rules as they are now.

BirdieBedtime posted:

Gentlemen, a quick question: my standard priming method is black with an overhead spray of grey. If I'm reading the rules correctly, this makes the models ineligible to be oathed until they have a single-color basecoat, correct?

As long as I'm asking questions, can each model have a different basecoat? Say two red, one dark blue, and one bone? Or do all the models in the Oath have to start from the same color?
Yes the zenithal method means that you have multiple colors of paint on the model, making it ineligible for oathing after it's been primed. Sorry about that. The reason for this is that zenithal priming requires at a minimum 2 or 3 different cans of primer and at a maximum a complete airbrush setup plus the different primers, making it inaccessible for painters who have one can of primer and just prime black or grey and hand-brush everything. The best thing to do (and I'll add this to the rules) is, as suggested, oath the models before painting and afterward you can do whatever you want with them.

Different colors of primer or basecoat are fine for different models (you seem some people doing this on models for different games).

Diosamblet posted:

The wiki article on How to Oath isn't much help on this either:

That is... not helpful. Includes as in "is included among one-color prime jobs" or "is included in the things forbidden by this rule"?
This is how I prime my minis, and I have a backlog of pre-shaded minis ready to start oathing... but can't use my airbrush any time soon to prep un-primed stuff.

I'll re-word this bit of the rules, I appreciate it's not worded correctly. However the How to Oath a Model (numbered) section says this, which is pretty clear:

quote:

2.3 assembled and ONE color of primer on any parts (if you use multiple shades of primer, this means a maximum of one color!)

I zenithal prime everything I do, plus pre-shade, so I tend to oath just the bare plastic models. I'd like to see what the mood of the thread on this is, so...

:siren: Attention! :siren:

Here ye, here ye, a quorum of oathers has been called!

As above, there's a question about zenithal priming (priming with black, grey and white before applying the base coat). The question is primarily for those of you who don't use this method, but anyone is welcome to have their say:

- is zenithal priming fair to allow for oathed models?
- as a follow-up, if we were to allow zenithal priming, what about single-color basecoats applied over the multi-tone primer? Would you be OK calling that a 'single color', even with the different color tones from the different primers underneath the base coat? (this is where we start to get into dangerous ground, because presently a part-primed and part-basecoated model is clearly NOT accepted)

Let me know by replying in the thread so we can have an open discussion on this. I'm not a Roman emperor, the Oath Thread is open to bowing to the will of the people :P

I've been intentionally leaving the single-color rule firmly in place the past 2 Oath Threads, even though it disadvantages me, mainly so it's fair to people without an airbrush setup or who paint models primed entirely in one color (I'm not going to call that the 'old-fashioned way'!). but I'm open to widening the rules here.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jun 2, 2014

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

I think zenithal priming would be ok, as long as it's clearly just black/grey/white primer. I don't think colour on top of that would be ok, as to do that you've moved past priming and into painting.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Warboot posted:

I Warboot Oath, 10 praetorian swordsmen, the 2 man unit attachment, And Tyrant Xerxis. Privateer Press

ijyt posted:

I, ijyt oath 20x Games Workshop Skaven Clanrats (28mm) for the month of June.

Tadhg posted:

Oh, :hellyeah: this month is exactly what I've been hoping for!

:hist101:I, Tadhg, Oath the Wood Elf Sisters of Twilight on Gwindalor for the month of June:hist101:

Mt. ORourke posted:

Let's keep the momentum going!
That's EXACTLY the spirit!

quote:

I Oath 1 Mule warjack and Ashlynn D'Elyss
Privateer Press

Dagon posted:

Adding to my oath, one Reaper Bones IMEF marine:

Ledgem posted:

Oathing: Two Reaper Bones models, Privateer Press' Blessing of Vengeance and Monolith Bearer!

JerryLee posted:

:woop: I, JerryLee, oath to paint for the month of June: :woop:

:getin: One Trojan Swordsman, two Basti Gamers, one Demigod of Hades, and one Bronze Owl
:getin:

All are 28mm scale models by Crocodile Games

Asphyxious posted:

I, Asphyxious, Oath 1 Tetto'Eko from Games Workshop for the Month of June

YF19pilot posted:

But, not to schlub off for the rest of the month, I will make an OATH ADDITION of one Battlefront/Flames of War artillery OP team (15mm) which has been glued onto one of Battlefront's custom bases just for this Jurnal (and not hastily done for my Italians in last night's battle).

NTRabbit posted:

I, NTRabbit, Oath to paint for June Season 5

Dystopian Wars by Spartan Games (1:1200)
4x Arbalete Medium Land Carriers
4x Marteau 'ACA-8' class Bombards
4x Focault 'R-6' class Medium Tanks
4x L'Arman 'Char 1C' class Heavy Tanks

Deadzone by Mantic (28mm)
2x Marauder Ripper Suits
2x Marauder Goblin Guntracks with dual weapons
2x Marauder Goblin Ammo Carriers
1x Marauder Hulk

40k by GW (28mm)
5x Striking Scorpions
1x Striking Scorpion Exarch

Dr. Gargunza posted:

I, Dr. Gargunza, oath to paint the following miniatures for the month of June: (1) Brienne of Tarth (Dark Sword Miniatures); and (3) heroes from Flying Frog Productions' Fortune & Glory board game: Jenny Butler, Grant Jackson, & Nigel Harrington! All are 28mm scale. Pic is thumbnailed to allow clicking to verify date & location.

None of these are primed; the green on the Flying Frog miniatures is liquid greenstuff (with which I got a bit carried away). If this violates the one-color rule, please let me know ASAP and I'll re-take the photo.
You're fine on the one-color rule, the shinyness on the plastic gives away it's bare!

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Fancy bases month? Time to break out this guy I guess:

:siren: I hereby doth oath for ye olde month of June, one stately Dreadnought :siren:
Fancy bases month, indeed!
Accepted! you've all been Accepted!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Schmetterling posted:

I think zenithal priming would be ok, as long as it's clearly just black/grey/white primer. I don't think colour on top of that would be ok, as to do that you've moved past priming and into painting.

Gotcha - however, a primed & basecoated model has been accepted as an oath for a while now (at least the last couple of threads), extending that to a zenithal-primed and basecoated model could be argued to be OK by some. Just tossing that out there, I'm happy to see where the discussion goes. (I've updated my follow-up question above to reflect that part-primed, part-painted model is clearly not allowed in the rules)

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Dr. Gargunza posted:

I will take that challenge!!! Here is my :pcgaming: ALTERNATE UNIVERSE OATH :pcgaming: for season five, in which I, Dr. Gargunza, oath to complete (48) miniatures from Flying Frog Productions' Fortune & Glory boardgame by the end of April 2015!
The figures are all 28mm scale. I painted some of the minis (8 temples, 4 heroes and a zeppelin) in last season's oath; this year I intend to complete the whole shebang, in an oath so big it took 2 pictures to fit it all in! (Thumbnailed for ease in viewing/confirming the date & time.)

The figures are as follows:

The Mooks
(L-R) (8) Mobsters; (8) Crimson Hand Cultists; (16) Nazi Soldiers.

The Big Bads/Big drat Heroes
Crimson Hand villains (3, L-R): The Inquisitor, Angelica Hamilton, Sir Benjamin Crowley;
Mob villains (5, L-R): Franco Fedicci, Vanessa Love, Joey Smiles, Icebox Eddie, Mickey "the Hammer";
Nazi villains (3, L-R): Herr Teufel, Tresa, Colonel Stahl.
Heroes (5, L-R): Alexander Cartwright, Angel Espinoza, Sharon Hunter, Li Mei Chen, Jake Zane.

(Note: Some of the figures have liquid greenstuff slapped haphazardly on them; let me know if you need me to re-take those pictures with a single primer color on the figures.)
You're good!

quote:

I don't even care about prizes, I just want these things done!
Exactly the spirit of the thread!

quote:

...Having said that, of course, will nine other oathers join me in this challenge? (Pretend I gave some big inspirational speech about the spirit of competition and backing each other's efforts here.)
(imagine me running around like a motivational speaker's #2 man, backslapping, whootin' & a-hollerin')

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

krushgroove posted:

Gotcha - however, a primed & basecoated model has been accepted as an oath for a while now (at least the last couple of threads), extending that to a zenithal-primed and basecoated model could be argued to be OK by some. Just tossing that out there, I'm happy to see where the discussion goes. (I've updated my follow-up question above to reflect that part-primed, part-painted model is clearly not allowed in the rules)

If the whole thing is painted over in one colour then it should be fine. Primed and then base coated, if the whole thing gets the base coat. Otherwise it's picking and choosing which bits get which colour, which is what I was saying no to.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

krushgroove posted:

Yes! If you model up the bases, you've made a 'model', which can then be 'painted' as an 'Oath'. Because they'd be judged for this month, I'll have to remind the judges to specifically ignore the bases next month when you mount your flyers on the bases you paint this month. Savvy?

This is handy to know, ta :)

Waiting on a few bits arriving in the post, as per, but also have some historicals I think I'm going to punt along up the painting queue for the sake of the journal.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'd grandfather in zenithal priming up to and including this month, but then put in wording discouraging it in the future. "Zenithal priming" is a pretty loose concept; You could argue anything from a quick b&w prime job to fully painted Star Wars Stormtroopers.

If someone is gaming this for advantage, the oath does not need to be accepted. The threat that it may be rejected should be enough to discourage anyone from gaming this permissiveness for advantage.

Further, if anyone has a bunch of zenithal stuff already primed, why not allow showing it for immediate consideration? It wouldn't be a commitment or promise of future oathing, just an informal "Would these figures be accepted in the future?" with a binding accept or reject that can be quoted into any future oaths including those particular figures.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

If you're about to prime models, you also have time to take a photo of them in bare plastic.

Alternatively, there's also time to take a photo of them while you're waiting for the first coat of primer to dry.

Mountains out of molehills.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
I, Lord Hypnostache, oath 10 Plague Zombies, a Daemon Prince and a Helbrute. All made from GW bits, except the Daemon Prince's base and bits in Helbrute's base by Secret Weapon Miniatures.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Dr. Gargunza posted:

...Having said that, of course, will nine other oathers join me in this challenge? (Pretend I gave some big inspirational speech about the spirit of competition and backing each other's efforts here.)
Let's do this!

:pcgaming: ALTERNATE UNIVERSE OATH :pcgaming: I, Lord Hypnostache, oath these 10 character models for Relic, made by Fantasy Flight Games.

That's about one per month, should be doable, right?

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:

ijyt posted:

If you're about to prime models, you also have time to take a photo of them in bare plastic.

Alternatively, there's also time to take a photo of them while you're waiting for the first coat of primer to dry.

Mountains out of molehills.

This. To my knowledge, the intent of photos of bare/primed models way back when was to show that no work had been done on the model besides assembling it. The oath thread was always about getting people to paint their goony piles of unpainted models- usually bare plastic, but some people spray prime their models after assembly and just play with those. Either way, they're models with no actual artistic effort put into them yet.

Once you start talking about zenith priming or picking out different parts with base colors or shading recesses with black air paint after priming white or whatever, you're working on the model in multiple steps. Step One should be to take your picture, Step Two+ is where color or contrast or your special homemade glaze or whatever starts to get added.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I got the impression dude had a ton of two-color primed stuff already.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
Well obviously my question was a good one if it sparked so much discussion. For what it's worth, here is a quick shot of the models in question. I primed them before realizing 'oh yeah, oath thread!' If that's too much work done on them, if nothing else we've made the rules a bit clearer.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

Maybe keep the rules as-is, but allow case-by-case basis judgement of whether the models of new oathers are suitable? That way, if they prime first then try to Oath they can get some leniency, but if they've read the rules or have oathed previously they can be expected to do single-colour.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
I, Daedleh, Oath (most of) an Abyssal Dwarf army box set: 20 Immortal Guard, 9 Slave Orcs, 9 Gargoyles, 5 Abyssal Halfbreeds, 3 Obsidian Golems (one missing an arm).

All made by Mantic, 28mm Fantasy.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I'm probably oathing Deadzone this month, which has some wonky bases that aren't the best for customizing (or I'm not imaginative enough). Do we need full on terrain adjustment on them or will a body part and a few shell casings do the trick?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Good discussion, folks, let's keep it going. I think the trend is going towards just clearing up the guidelines in the oathing rules, which are already there but could be highlighted better. But if anyone else has anything they'd like to add I'm all ears :)

Lord Hypnostache posted:

I, Lord Hypnostache, oath 10 Plague Zombies, a Daemon Prince and a Helbrute. All made from GW bits, except the Daemon Prince's base and bits in Helbrute's base by Secret Weapon Miniatures.

Daedleh posted:

I, Daedleh, Oath (most of) an Abyssal Dwarf army box set: 20 Immortal Guard, 9 Slave Orcs, 9 Gargoyles, 5 Abyssal Halfbreeds, 3 Obsidian Golems (one missing an arm).
Accepted!

signalnoise posted:

I'm probably oathing Deadzone this month, which has some wonky bases that aren't the best for customizing (or I'm not imaginative enough). Do we need full on terrain adjustment on them or will a body part and a few shell casings do the trick?
Nope, that's fine, it's still a conversion!

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Let's do this!

:pcgaming: ALTERNATE UNIVERSE OATH :pcgaming: I, Lord Hypnostache, oath these 10 character models for Relic, made by Fantasy Flight Games.

That's about one per month, should be doable, right?
Accepted!

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

Daedleh posted:

All made by Mantic, 28mm Fantasy.

Well, that's one way to get the golems to rank up - I'm using 2-slot trays sized for three from Warbases.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

BirdieBedtime posted:

Well obviously my question was a good one if it sparked so much discussion. For what it's worth, here is a quick shot of the models in question. I primed them before realizing 'oh yeah, oath thread!' If that's too much work done on them, if nothing else we've made the rules a bit clearer.

Yeah, on the other hand zenithal priming is literally a zero-effort thing and a matter of preference. The only issue I'd see if someone oath'd a model like that, and then posted "Oath complete!" with barely any changes.

Like, if you hadn't mentioned it was zenithal I'd have assumed the grey was bare plastic and that you were just really bad at priming.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

I would say maybe grandfather the zenith all priming in. If that's the case post a mega pic time stamped and listed of everything already primed as such. Those are allowed as oaths til finished for anyone who has that done already. Anyone after the rules clarification is finalized and bolded is out of luck.

I am not good at this painting thing, but I understand that time is valuable and even though I single color prime, I prime way more than I intend on painting that month so that I can mitigate real life time contraints/a week of rain.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
The talk of grandfathering in zenithal-primed models implies that there have been models with zenithal priming that have been accepted - have I slipped up and allowed some in that have more than one color? If so, any confusion is entirely my fault, as even last year zenithal priming was expressly not allowed.

But I'm in the same boat as waah with the primed models way ahead of time. I have at least 7 or 8 Tyranid monstrous creatures, all zenithal primed and waiting for paint, but I can't oath them. So I'm oathing my smaller models instead and will start painting the MCs as a separate 'project', no biggie.

I suppose it comes down to whatever habit or process we have for building and painting models. I batch paint as much as possible and only recently started doing vehicles and monstrous creatures, so I've got many models primed way ahead of time (I try to do standard brushwork while I watch TV!). Part of me would like to have to rules say 'only bare plastic/metal models can be oathed' but I don't think that would be very friendly for many of the painters here, so I left it the same as last year.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I, Lungboy, oath to paint the following for the month of June:

A: Chapter Master on Scimitar Jetbike
B: DV Bike
C: Marine with Meltagun
D: Marine with Multimelta
E: 4 AoBR Marines
F: 2 large oval bases

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Lungboy posted:

I, Lungboy, oath to paint the following for the month of June:

A: Chapter Master on Scimitar Jetbike
B: DV Bike
C: Marine with Meltagun
D: Marine with Multimelta
E: 4 AoBR Marines
F: 2 large oval bases

IS THAT ZENITHA- oh no it's just the reflection. Carry on, then.

Accepted!

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
I'm fine either way regarding the decision to include or not include zenithal priming. The only thing I ask is that if we allow it, people call out that it's already been zenithal primed in their original Oath post.

Obviously we'd take issue (on judging if nothing else) if someone really phoned it in with the subsequent paint job, but it does make sense to me that someone would have large amounts of pre-primed figures if they were trying to do some batch processing on their end.

Off topic, FYI to the thread - I'm behind on getting some entries into the spreadsheet for folks who finished their May Oaths. :ohdear: It's largely me getting used to my new job and certainly not at all that we did a marathon of the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game this weekend :downs:. My goal is to get that entered in tonight!

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

I'd say if someone had a ton of models that have been zenithally primed, they should just save them for amnesty month.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
I think I'll just keep everybody happy and oath my originally planned, basecoated model.

Speaking of, I, BirdieBedtime Oath to paint the following Penitent Servitor (GW Bits) for the month of June!

That is seriously the fifth picture I took, I don't know why my phone refused to focus on anything but the base. Maybe it's drunk on the fumes of multiple cans of primer...

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Here's my opinion. But I want to preface it by reminding folks that I am not a rule-maker this year, and I demand that my opinion be given no more weight than anyone else's.

I think we allow primed models. The custom when I was a teenager was to physically paint diluted GW Skull White onto your figures. Then in the 90s people figured out spray paint exists and started priming things by spraying them with a thick goopy coat of black spray paint, possibly a $15 can from GW. At least that's what I surmise from the eBay stuff I've gotten that has had all details obliterated by a mm-thick coat of latex. Some people primed with white still, and some of us picked a middle-ground gray.

Nowadays, people often prime using good-quality white/grey/black primer or even solid colors, depending on what the final model's dominant color will be, sprayed from cans or from an airbrush. This is where the oath thread rules have come from - you can spray down your Angry Marines with a bright yellow primer and that's OK. We've referred to that as a "base coat" and said one color base coat is OK, too, but I think the terminology may be somewhat hazy about where exactly a primer job ends and a base coat begins.

Priming two-tone using a zenithal technique has lately become a common way to make the task of highlighting and shading a model later in the process much easier. I'm inclined to say that a model that has black/grey/white tones, clearly produced entirely through this simple but effective priming technique, is still just a primed model. And the reason to allow someone to oath such models is not only because folks often do it as a big batch after batch-assembling their kits... it's also because it takes approximately the same amount of effort as a non-zenithal single-tone priming job. E.g., if I take a tray of models out to the patio and hose them down with rattlecan grey, I have to turn them in all directions and spray from above and below and back and front just to get an even coat. On the other hand if I switch between my black and my white cans while doing that, I can get a zenithal prime job with basically the same time and effort expended.

I don't personally zenithally-prime, although I've thought of trying it out at some point. I also don't tend to pre-assemble and pre-prime big lots of models, although I do have a few that are already (flat grey) primed. I think we can be sympathetic to newcomers to the thread who have 100 models built and zenithally primed... it would suck for them if they can't oath any of those models. We especially shouldn't get into a situation where someone is deliberately stripping models like that, just to qualify to oath them, so they can go prime them a second time.

Of course, that principle has limits. I have a batch of tomb guard I started painting a couple years ago, they have two base colors in addition to colored primer on them. They're too far along to ever oath, so I just need to paint them on my own time. Not being able to oath something hardly means you cannot ever paint it. So it's not that huge of a deal. But I have hundreds and hundreds of unpainted minis to choose from. I wouldn't want someone who only has a small collection to find his entire collection excluded because he was efficient about assembly and zenithally-primed them last October and now they're all disqualified.

Regardless of the ruling, I think everyone should feel comfortable just posting photos of something in the thread and saying "would this be a valid oath?" I know the people in charge well enough to say with confidence they'd never be annoyed with something like that and will give their reasoning for their answers either way.

Rahotep75 posted:

On another totally unrelated note, can I re-oath something that wasn't even painted or would that have to count as a Saving the Whales?

You can always Whales a failed oath from this year. However, Whalseing only qualifies you for the whales prize - you don't get points and you can't win the affections of a judge. So if you haven't even started painting something at all, you might prefer to re-oath it!

If you re-oath and complete it as a regular oath, you cannot also Whales it. No double-dipping! The spirit of the Whales contest is to encourage folks to finish their minis from a failed oath. The first year I participated in an Oath thread, I failed several, and found myself never going back to finish those models - I was oathing something new the following month and focusing on that instead. So this is a little incentive to "rescue" those oaths. It also provides a sense of amnesty and forgiveness. And of course it's an excuse for me to give away some of my oldest, most abandoned miniatures... near-forgotten relics of an earlier time, when miniatures were made of mostly lead, their faces little blobs of nearly no detail, and sold in printed catalogs we poured through as kids, wondering whether the hand-drawn depiction on those careworn pages would actually bear any resemblance to the miniature or if we would be sorely disappointed with what came in the mail. And then we slopped on a horrifying patchwork of Testors model airplane paint in base colors with the bare metal showing through between them and called it a day.

Sorry, I got a little lost there. Anyway yeah you can pick either one, re-oath or Whales, but not both.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
Before we start talking about guys with a backlog of 100 zenithally-primed models, I should mention that when I said something like "a bunch" I meant eight or so. I'm glad we're having a conversation about it, but as far as the implementation of the rules in this instance, it's no skin off my back if I can't Oath those eight models - lord knows there will be many more that I can Oath before priming!

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I think zenithal priming could be allowed for basically the reason Leperflesh laid out--it's still just a spray prime job. If anything, a zenithally primed model is farther from its finished appearance than the example of colored primer, which we do allow. If someone is using an airbrush to start picking out individual details on a model and calling it zenithal priming, it should be disqualified, but I think it should be reasonably obvious when that happens.

RUM hack
Nov 18, 2003

glug glug

Ok, for my first ever oath I'm going to start at the oldest models in the backlog so:

I, headlor, oath that I will paint one Escher Ganger, and one Escher Juve (Necromunda, GW, 28mm) for the month of June.

They already have non-standard bases made out of some old textured plastic stuff, does that count for the jurnal?

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
If the alternate universe thing is what I think it is(paint all the pieces from a single boardgame) then I would be down to oath my Castle Ravenloft stuff. If it's something else... I'm still probably down.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's a thing we did last year. Basically you make a yearlong oath as a companion oath separate from your monthly oath. So you oath some stuff and paint it before the end of the oath thread, which will be next May 31st. It could be a whole boardgame or it could be just one guy, but the intent I guess is to recognize that some painting projects are just not convenient to fit into a single month, but still fun to put into the Oath Thread format.

However, last year very few people participated and a few people mentioned it seemed like an unnecessary complexity added to an already complex set of rules, so for this year I guess the decision was to drop it due to lack of interest. Krushgroove's bounty offer may serve to entice a few more participants.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

jodai posted:

If the alternate universe thing is what I think it is(paint all the pieces from a single boardgame) then I would be down to oath my Castle Ravenloft stuff. If it's something else... I'm still probably down.

It's not quite that, but it doesn't seem to have an entry on the wiki so I'll leave it to Krushgroove to explain.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Oathing one Reaper Bones remorhaz Frost Wyrm.

Base is going to be of my own creation from a plywood starter, and I'm going to try to model it melting its way out of icy ground - these things are supposed to tunnel by melting using internal heat :smaug:. I might put a counter on this one, too, though I'm not quite sure what for as it's not gonna be flying or losing heads.

I have a better shot of the date if needed.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!
I, muskets, hereby oath to paint these six Infinity minis (an Ariadna starterbox), 28mm, by Corvus Belli, in the month of June.

These bases aren't staying - I foolishly glued them to the bases before I knew what the theme was.

Diosamblet
Oct 9, 2004

Me and my shadow
Here's a picture of the zenithal primed models I was hoping to Oath (the four in the back). They've been that way for like, a year. (Sevvy there has been primed white for almost a decade)
Honestly, I'm not even sure I thin my paints enough for the pre-shading part to work out - I just find it helps me get a better feel for the model and view of the details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Diosamblet posted:

Here's a picture of the zenithal primed models I was hoping to Oath (the four in the back). They've been that way for like, a year. (Sevvy there has been primed white for almost a decade)
Honestly, I'm not even sure I thin my paints enough for the pre-shading part to work out - I just find it helps me get a better feel for the model and view of the details.

If they look like that, I can see giving a pass. It just looks like a single, maybe two passes with a spray, not really any kind of actual detailed painting going into the model yet. Like, the arms aren't primed a completely different color from the rest of the model. I, as a terrible painter, would be okay with that.

• Locked thread