Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Between the Jorah, Theon and Oberyn poo poo, I'm done with this show. gently caress it. If I hear that cool stuff ever starts happening again fine, but if I want to feel like this all I gotta do is go hang out with the junkies under the bridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

Dapper Dan posted:

The thing is the tonal shift is just so jarring. You're prepared for a brutal melee combat with violent deaths but instead it shifts to something out of a slasher film. It felt out of place with the rest of the scene. I was expecting him to gouge his eyes out and then punch him to death, not crushing his skull in a pneumatic press like a horror movie monster.

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from. It's a complex issue. I was kind of worried that the show might start to seem gruesome and violent for the hell of it, but as I said this execution was very loyal to the book. Should they have changed it to something else and less "cartoonish"? I don't know.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

bobfather posted:

1 punch knocks out all of your teeth. Your eyes implode. Then your head explodes. I honestly can't think of a worse way to go, even as far as GoT deaths go.

Two words:
Flayed Man.

10 minutes of that and you'd be begging for the Mountain to smash your head like it's scanners.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If GRRM wanted to shock his fans, he would have had Oberyn win. From the second Oberyn said "I'm not dying today!" I knew with 100% certainty he was going to die. When he started winning, I knew he was going to die. When he actually did die, it wasn't emotional or impactful because of any good reasons, it was a storyteller being a literal sadist to his audience for no good reason. Oberyn could have been a great new cast member. He could have even written in some way for Oberyn to lose but still not die. Nope! SMASH THE BEETLE :lol:

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
I wish the fight sequence had been a little longer and am a little sad they dropped Tyrion (and audience members) vomiting after Oberyn's end. Still a highly satisfying scene though.

As a long time hater of injected/forced love stories (in Hollywood-related stuff), the Grey Worm/Missandei thing bothered me. I hope it goes away, but I doubt it.

Crusty Nutsack posted:

mannnnn Oberyn was one of the best characters, and now Dinklage sticking around is in question. gently caress GRRM

My reaction to this fight was almost as bad as the red wedding haha
Only episode eight, there's still the infamous episode nine a-comin'.

BubbleGoose posted:

I'm not a book reader, so I don't know this and I don't really see how it's relevant. Having to imagine it in your head is a world different from having to see it on screen.
I personally imagined it as more of a slow, methodical punching his face to a bloody pulp (including breaking his frontal skull to bits) with his gauntlet-armored hands that continued until well after he was dead to the point where all onlookers were like: "FFS just stop."

vanbags posted:

So the Mountain is supposed to be the baddest man in the Seven Kingdoms, universally feared by all men, including Jaime Lannister who was supposedly the best swordsman in the land? And he was not only handily beat, but showboated on, by Oberyn?
Oberyn was a well regarded warrior. Also, taking on the Mountain with a sword is a totally different ballgame than a spear because the range advantage it provides; a swordsman would have to get much closer, at which point the sheer strength of The Mountain becomes a serious hazard.

Waltzing Along posted:

LOL: they die squatting over their chamberpots!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMzfrod7hcE

Woden
May 6, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

The Mountain clearly won the combat, thus proving that Tyrion was unquestionably guilty. The Mountain dying later is irrelevant... hell, if anything, the Mountain dying later might STRENGTHEN the case against Tyrion because somebody could say,"Tyrion was so guilty that even though the Mountain suffered fatal wounds the will of the Gods was expressed through him and gave him the strength to kill Oberyn and bring justice to the memory of the beloved King Joffrey!"

Or in other words, those in charge can spin anything they want anyway they want to get what they want.

Stop crushing my dreams.

Fabulous Knight posted:

Right, I've seen some complaints about Oberyn's final moment being too gruesome or whatever. I can kind of see that, but this was pretty much completely how it happened in the *gasp* books.
Not a book reader but it was how it was shot that was disturbing, if it was shot like a Troma movie I'd be laughing at the absurdity like some others here already are.

Firstborn posted:

As brutal as the last scene was, I was really sad about Jorah leaving. He really is one of my favorite characters. I hope he doesn't just ride out of the show.
I was waiting for him to make a speech saying she might as well kill him now as he has nothing to live for without her. But then he just slinks of with his tail between his legs.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Steve Yun posted:

If I had any complaint, it would be that they could've done more in this episode to play up Gregor's size and strength before the fight. Better camera angles to play up his size, having noisier armor, etc. When he makes his entrance it feels... slightly underwhelming. There are a few shots from bad angles and it makes him look like an ordinary 6 foot tall guy, like one where Pycelle is standing closer to the camera and therefore taller looking.

You know I was just saying that to a friend.

If this show had ended with a Viper victory, everyone would have said "Man the Mountain was a disappointment! Huge and lumbering and easily worked left and right! What a pussy." loving nobody will say that now.

EDIT: Was I the only one that felt like I was watching a Astaroth vs Kilik battle for a while? I have to admit it made me chuckle. Half the time those matches ended with a 1% life Astaroth just instagibbing his enemy, too.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Part of me hopes Jorah redeems himself, but I have a really hard time caring about anyone in that party besides Selmy (ffs dude kill someone already).

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Finally caught the latest episode. Somehow I'm not surprised. Typical GoT. Get everyone's excitement up and then, when you're feeling your best, GRRM shits on your parade. Super lame that they offed Oberyn. He had a lot of potential for being a cool character, but I'm guessing that was the point. I'm thinking GRRM's mindset was "let's make a character everyone will like, hype him up, and then kill him in a horrible and gruesome way just to swerve the audience". It's brilliant and I kind of hate him a little for it.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Like I said earlier, if he had lived, it would've just led to complaints that Tyrion got out of this predicament the exact same way he got out of the last one. Now that road is closed to him and his fate is up in the air.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jun 2, 2014

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

There are so many amendments in the constitution of the United States of America--I can only choose one!

bUm posted:

As a long time hater of injected/forced love stories (in Hollywood-related stuff), the Grey Worm/Missandei thing bothered me. I hope it goes away, but I doubt it.

I have to agree with this. They don't seem to have any chemistry at all, largely because Missandei has such a weak presence. I'd rather they focus more on Grey Worm learning how to make friends and developing as a human being.

quote:

I personally imagined it as more of a slow, methodical punching his face to a bloody pulp (including breaking his frontal skull to bits) with his gauntlet-armored hands that continued until well after he was dead to the point where all onlookers were like: "FFS just stop."

And that's the great thing about books. You can imagine it however you like. You can do that in television too by simply alluding to the death.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Oh yeah: Bronn would have won. He could probably have out moved the Mountain just as well as the Viper did, honestly, and get his blows even - even with a sword. But Bronn wouldn't stop fighting to show boat, and would have not called it over until The Mountain's head was in two pieces.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I thought this episode was garbage personally.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Oberyn had a major reach advantage and the Mountain was still tossing him around like a chew-toy.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Oh yeah: Bronn would have won. He could probably have out moved the Mountain just as well as the Viper did, honestly, and get his blows even - even with a sword. But Bronn wouldn't stop fighting to show boat, and would have not called it over until The Mountain's head was in two pieces.

I'd believe Bronn winning, just 'cause he's awesome, but man I bet he's going to be feeling a lot better about leaving Tyrion to his fate when he hears about this poo poo.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Fabulous Knight posted:

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from. It's a complex issue. I was kind of worried that the show might start to seem gruesome and violent for the hell of it, but as I said this execution was very loyal to the book. Should they have changed it to something else and less "cartoonish"? I don't know.

The thing is the translation to different mediums. What isn't a tonal shift in a novel can be a tonal shift in a film without altering the overall events. Not focusing on the skull crushing or making him dash his head against the stone would have been better and less cartoon-like.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Lycus posted:

Like I said earlier, if he had lived, it would've just led to complaints that Tyrion got out of this predicament they exact the same way he got out of the last won. Now that road is closed to him and his fate is up in the air.

A lot of people liked Oberyn. I doubt there'd have been half as much complaining just so long as the fight was good.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My exact reaction. That scene was hilarious. It was a perfectly timed dark comedy beat. (Adding CYE music just made it more obvious!)

And also, the best scene in the show. (Arya laughing, my god, what a great character/actress)

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

There are so many amendments in the constitution of the United States of America--I can only choose one!

Macrame_God posted:

Finally caught the latest episode. Somehow I'm not surprised. Typical GoT. Get everyone's excitement up and then, when you're feeling your best, GRRM shits on your parade. Super lame that they offed Oberyn. He had a lot of potential for being a cool character, but I'm guessing that was the point. I'm thinking GRRM's mindset was "let's make a character everyone will like, hype him up, and then kill him in a horrible and gruesome way just to swerve the audience". It's brilliant and I kind of hate him a little for it.

In Martin's defense, he really has no way of knowing which of his characters the readers/audience is going to gravitate to. I don't know how popular book Oberyn is. Pedro Pascal just happen to do an amazing job portraying him.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Accretionist posted:

A lot of people liked Oberyn. I doubt there'd have been half as much complaining just so long as the fight was good.

Tyrion winning a second trial by combat would have deserved some serious criticism, as opposed to :qq: BUT OBERYN WAS SO COOL! :qq:

Though I'd admit the skull crushing was like something out of a totally different show.

Diddie
Sep 1, 2001

What the heck is going on in here???

Blazing Ownager posted:

Bronn would've had a huge reach disadvantage and would've had a much tougher fight. Maybe he could've dip duck dive dodged his way to victory but theres no guarantee.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

BubbleGoose posted:

I have to agree with this. They don't seem to have any chemistry at all, largely because Missandei has such a weak presence. I'd rather they focus more on Grey Worm learning how to make friends and developing as a human being.

I'd rather both of them and Daario take a flying leap into slaver's bay to give more screentime to actually advancing the plot instead of the scene after scene the three of them have had this season that feel like something out of Xena: Warrior Princess.

quote:

In Martin's defense, he really has no way of knowing which of his characters the readers/audience is going to gravitate to. I don't know how popular book Oberyn is. Pedro Pascal just happen to do an amazing job portraying him.

As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, book Oberyn is a footnote until the events of this and last episode. They beefed his role up considerably for the show and he's been my favorite part of this season.

Avasculous fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jun 2, 2014

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Though I'd admit the skull crushing was like something out of a totally different show.
At the very least, it's akin to the Hound chopping a guy in half with a single swipe during Blackwater.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

Fabulous Knight posted:

I mean Oberyn was just basically there to make Tyrion's situation even more messed up, but then Pedro Pascal was actually great in the role and he became a fan favorite.

It's pretty much just this. Everybody is sad that a really awesome actor and character is now out of the show.

What annoyed me was how small the actual fight scene was but the rest of the episode was fairly good so I'm letting it slide.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Lycus posted:

At the very least, it's akin to the Hound chopping a guy in half with a single swipe during Blackwater.

Hahahaha, holy gently caress I forgot about that.

I still think it's a bit much but I really like the ridiculous violence this show has at times.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD

Wizard Master posted:

I thought this episode was garbage personally.

I thought this post was garbage personally.

:getout:

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Lycus posted:

More like Tyrion swiping a leg from under a dude with an axe.

precision posted:

Between the Jorah, Theon and Oberyn poo poo, I'm done with this show. gently caress it. If I hear that cool stuff ever starts happening again fine, but if I want to feel like this all I gotta do is go hang out with the junkies under the bridge.
Yeah, except everyone knows you're not quitting anything. It's more believable to hear a heroin junkie say "that was a bad trip, gently caress it, I'm done with this drug now".

pigdog fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jun 2, 2014

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Also, people are really forgetting the upside of this. The Lannisters were hosed going into this thing no matter what happened. Oberyn looked ready to start hurling spears when he was done with the Mountain.

Now that Oberyn is dead, relations with Dorne are ruined. It's not difficult to imagine Dorne declaring for Stannis and/or delivering Cersei Myrcella's head in a box.

If they execute Tyrion, Jaime will never leave the Kingsguard.

Enemies closing in from every direction even yet, and no way out.

Red Pyramid
Apr 29, 2008

Lycus posted:

And Ramsay eating a suspicious looking sausage in front of Theon after castrating him. And Viserys getting crowned in molten gold. And Drogo pulling a guy's tongue through his throat. I don't really get the complaints about Oberyn's head popping being cartoonish - cartoonish violence is part and parcel of this show.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Red Pyramid posted:

And Ramsay eating a suspicious looking sausage in front of Theon after castrating him. And Viserys getting crowned in molten gold. And Drogo pulling a guy's tongue through his throat. I don't really get the complaints about Oberyn's head popping being cartoonish - cartoonish violence is part and parcel of this show.

This is still roughly half as cartoonish as Spartacus.

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

I thought this post was garbage personally.

:getout:

Aw come on. Wizard Master's posts are tradition. Like fruitcake at Christmas.

pigdog posted:

More like Tyrion swiping a leg from under a dude with an axe.

More like the Mountain chopping a goddamn horse's head off. Anyway, looks like Pedro Pascal has set the standard for the Dornish accent since Spanish is his first language, and he just tried the accent on a whim. I eagerly await all the mangled Spanish accents coming from the newest set of actors if the show gets to Dorne. Indira Varma's accent wasn't so bad at least.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Red Pyramid posted:

Well crushing a dude's skull with enough force to blow his brain out the back goes a bit further than anything besides splitting the dude and the tongue thing. Personally, I think this set a new bar.

I love it no matter how feasible it is, though.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Wizard Master's post should just be quoted in the OP for all time.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
That's twice the Ironborn have turned on their own leaders in order to facilitate a surrender to the Boltons. I thought they were hardcore? Is their Drowned God not rolling in it's watery grave? Everything they touch turns to ash.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I'm the guy who winces whenever anything gets near someones eyes (a sharp object, a bee, whatever) so the end of this episode made my stomach turn. HOLY gently caress. So gross. I'm not really "complaining" per se (i thought it was well done) but good god I cant take another scene like that anytime soon.

Ughhhhhhhhh. I cant stop thinking about it. So so gross.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Mukip posted:

That's twice the Ironborn have turned on their own leaders in order to facilitate a surrender to the Boltons. I thought they were hardcore? Is their Drowned God not rolling in it's watery grave? Everything they touch turns to ash.

The Drowned God is secretly Worf.

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

Mukip posted:

They're absolute terrors on/near the water, but both times we have seen that happen it has been well inland in impossible situations with leaders who try to put bravado before self preservation/reason. Also, it's ended the same in both situations, with everyone getting flayed.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Alright, so they're devastating warriors to have around if you need to raid a fishing village. They sound like such posers.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Riled Shareef posted:

The big episode 9 shocker better be a WIN for the good guys. At least a little bit? Please? Maybe have the Night's Watch prevail? :unsmith:

I kind of want the Night's Watch about to get overrun and that's when the huge-fuckoff-of-all-white-walker armies joins the party. Would make for an interesting.. change of situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Mukip posted:

I think we're supposed to be noticing a trend re: the Ironborn. That is that Theon being a giant pussy with delusions of grandeur is entirely characteristic of his people and they're pretty much all a bunch of cheap thugs and cowards when the chips are down. They talk tough, but they're not and their lack of sense leaves them continually out of their depth.

gently caress, his sister is depicted as pretty much the only competent one of the whole lot, and look how her much-hyped big dumb rescue mission panned out. They're basically dark comic relief.

• Locked thread