Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BattleCattle posted:

I started playing Final Fantasy 9 yesterday. 'bout 5 hours in, and I like it quite alot.

The only other FF game I played was 6, and I liked that one too.

I figure if I restrict my final fantasy experience to games that are multiples of three, I won't be too terribly disappointed.

3x1 is still a multiple of 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BattleCattle posted:

I started playing Final Fantasy 9 yesterday. 'bout 5 hours in, and I like it quite alot.

I figure if I restrict my final fantasy experience to games that are multiples of three, I won't be too terribly disappointed.
Is 'zodiac job system' a multiple of 3?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

BattleCattle posted:

Just make sure it's the NES version.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
I'm in the middle of my first FF8 playthrough for about 7 years, and I'm just at the end of disc 3. Is there a good list anywhere of stuff that I will have to get before moving ahead and locking myself out of the towns? I've done very few sidequests cos I opted to leave them all for this stage in the game.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

fruitpunch posted:

I'm in the middle of my first FF8 playthrough for about 7 years, and I'm just at the end of disc 3. Is there a good list anywhere of stuff that I will have to get before moving ahead and locking myself out of the towns? I've done very few sidequests cos I opted to leave them all for this stage in the game.

Do the CC Club sidequest if you haven't already, that's really the major one.

Also visit all the Esthar shops if you haven't done so, so Tonberry will remember them with Call Shop.

Beyond that, nothing permanently missable except maybe the Obel Lake sidequest.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
ImpAtom, for what it's worth, I beat FFXIV in less than a month and only paid for one extra month to try endgame before getting bored with queuing and losing in Titan Hard Mode a couple dozen times with exactly 3 wins that only happened because somehow no one hosed up.

The main story, that can mostly be beaten alone, is good with lots of fun battles. The main issue with the game is that like most MMO's, there isn't a lot of difficult single player (or even two player) content, so unlike every FF since 5, there aren't super bosses you can challenge yourself with without worrying about finding 3-7 other vaguely competent people.

Edit: to be fair, there is challenging singe player content in the game that is usually job-specific and the only way they can add more is with job-specific challenges.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 2, 2014

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

3x1 is still a multiple of 3.

It's on the agenda.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

BattleCattle posted:

It's on the agenda.

I think he's trying to warn you that 3's a Bad Game

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BattleCattle posted:

It's on the agenda.

It's more than 3 is probably going to be the one that disproves your thesis.

bloodychill posted:

ImpAtom, for what it's worth, I beat FFXIV in less than a month and only paid for one extra month to try endgame before getting bored with queuing and losing in Titan Hard Mode a couple dozen times with exactly 3 wins that only happened because somehow no one hosed up.

The main story, that can mostly be beaten alone, is good with lots of fun battles. The main issue with the game is that like most MMO's, there isn't a lot of difficult single player (or even two player) content, so unlike every FF since 5, there aren't super bosses you can challenge yourself with without worrying about finding 3-7 other vaguely competent people.

Edit: to be fair, there is challenging singe player content in the game that is usually job-specific and the only way they can add more is with job-specific challenges.

I would say my other big problem is that in MMOs I absolutely prefer playing the healer/support role which I would imagine is the least conductive to soloing the game. Which is my own problem more than the game's.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I would say my other big problem is that in MMOs I absolutely prefer playing the healer/support role which I would imagine is the least conductive to soloing the game. Which is my own problem more than the game's.

Actually, one of the healer classes also has a DPS build stapled to it, and currently the only support job in the game is primarily a DD. I'm told that soloing as a healer's surprisingly not terrible too, healers can take a bit of a beating in XIV

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

ImpAtom posted:

Anything soloable in FFXIV can be soloed by any job pretty handily. At low level you can get a togglable action which swaps your healing stat into the magic damage stat. Anything that a healer can't solo can't be soloed by anybody, dungeons and raids, stuff like that.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I can't stand MMOs in the year 2014, but really loved FF14. If it was F2P I'd probably still play it.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Soloed to 60 as the game's White Mage. It's a great entry to the series, more cohesive than XII and way more fun than XI.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

There is basically no force on Earth that can make me justify a monthly fee for a video game in this day and age, unfortunately. I'd be willing to try FFXIV but not at that price.

I bought the PS3 version and never played it because it was like $10. You can upgrade it for free to PS4, and I haven't registered yet so it still has the free month. Whenever I pick up a PS4 I'll play through it for a month and probably get through the story bits as much as I can, don't think I would buy a sub or anything.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

There we goooooo, got the trophy for completing the sphere grid. Only with 9.999 hp for everyone, but at least 255 luck. Pretty much every super boss instantly kills me with every attack unless I stack defensive spells, and even then some just murder me - for example, every single group attack that Nemesis has. But with generous use of Auto-Life and Rikku's overdrive, I got through that fight. It's not always easy to recover from having your entire party revived via Auto-Life, but so far, it's worked against all the Dark Ae-

...what the gently caress

Did the Magus Sister's overdrive just murder my meat shield aeon normally despite having overdrive, wait until my party returns, THEN use the overdrive, which IGNORES Auto-Life, giving me a Game Over instantly?

gently caress you, Magus Sisters, I'm killing each and every one of you seperately now. t:mad:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Fungah! posted:

Actually, one of the healer classes also has a DPS build stapled to it, and currently the only support job in the game is primarily a DD. I'm told that soloing as a healer's surprisingly not terrible too, healers can take a bit of a beating in XIV

SCH is a better DPS than WHM in XIV, but even WHM can knock out around 40% of the damage per second that a DPS class can in XIV when it's well geared. 40% of the damage means you can kill monsters reasonably quick, which means solo'ing isn't that bad whatsoever on healing classes.

The story in XIV is poo poo though, so don't buy it just for that. Just levelling up to 50 and doing a bunch of stuff is fun for a casual player.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Torquemadras posted:

There we goooooo, got the trophy for completing the sphere grid. Only with 9.999 hp for everyone, but at least 255 luck. Pretty much every super boss instantly kills me with every attack unless I stack defensive spells, and even then some just murder me - for example, every single group attack that Nemesis has. But with generous use of Auto-Life and Rikku's overdrive, I got through that fight. It's not always easy to recover from having your entire party revived via Auto-Life, but so far, it's worked against all the Dark Ae-

Did the Magus Sister's overdrive just murder my meat shield aeon normally despite having overdrive, wait until my party returns, THEN use the overdrive, which IGNORES Auto-Life, giving me a Game Over instantly?

gently caress you, Magus Sisters, I'm killing each and every one of you seperately now. t:mad:

FFX International's endgame is some ridiculous bs

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

FFX International's endgame is some ridiculous bs

After I beat the game I thought about doing the endgame for a bit, read some of the things I would have to fight, and then immediately shut off my Playstation.

I can understand why some people would be interested in it, but its such a slog I can't even begin to comprehend it.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

moosecow333 posted:

After I beat the game I thought about doing the endgame for a bit, read some of the things I would have to fight, and then immediately shut off my Playstation.

I can understand why some people would be interested in it, but its such a slog I can't even begin to comprehend it.

I will probably try to beat every Dark Aeon normally, but that Fucker Penance is getting Yojimboed. It just seems like the only real way to end the game in my opinion.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Torquemadras posted:

Delta Attack gets used on (I think) Dark Cindy's turn specifically, everyone else does whatever with their turn. It's a pain. Definitely try and fight them separately, it makes them much more manageable.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

moosecow333 posted:

There is nothing to comprehend. You just want another shiny Platinum trophy, no big deal, I got Nier's trophy as well, what of it? And there you are, shooting twelve spikey blitzballs into a giant monster's rear end for the 200th time, and for a brief moment of clarity, you laugh and cry at the same time, before you're moving anime people over a grid again and then it's back to spikey blitzball rear end tornado and :shepicide:

Defeated the Magus Sisters now. They're completely helpless without their Delta Attack, since they can never kill more than one character at once. Only Yojimbo, Anima and Bahamut remain...

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Optional superbosses are the best part of RPGs and ya'll are just wussies.

Well except Yiazmat, that guy's a bit too tenacious. Although I imagine it's not that bad when you can break the damage limit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Optional superbosses are great when they are designed in such a way that you seriously have to consider how to take them on. They suck when they're just HP sacks with huge numbers who effectively are level-checks or who take entirely too long after you figure out their gimmick.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

ImpAtom posted:

Optional superbosses are great when they are designed in such a way that you seriously have to consider how to take them on. They suck when they're just HP sacks with huge numbers who effectively are level-checks or who take entirely too long after you figure out their gimmick.

I feel like Tales of and Star Ocean did optional superbosses the best, because they're not just HP sacks and they're usually fun battles

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Just cheese Yojimbo and tell everybody how you really did it. Nobody will know the difference

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

BattleCattle posted:

3 is bad and 12 is polarizing (i.e. really really good)

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

FFIX's superbosses were pretty good in that regard, you didn't have to grind for hours upon hours to be able to stand a chance against them.

peekaboo gangster
Sep 12, 2003

Dr Snofeld posted:

FFIX's superbosses were pretty good in that regard, you didn't have to grind for hours upon hours to be able to stand a chance against them.

This is very true - last year when I played through IX, I took down Ozma and Quale with Freya, Quina, and Amarant, all around maybe level 60-62. Though to be fair, I did do the Friendly Monsters sidequest so I stood a better chance.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Dr Snofeld posted:

Wasn't the trick to Ozma waiting to enter commands until there was an animation going?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

TARDISman posted:

Wasn't the trick to Ozma waiting to enter commands until there was an animation going?

Partially. Ozma is kind of a luck of the draw scenario that you can skew in your favor. Ozma has attacks that can wipe your party out pretty much with impunity, but it's random how often it will use them. You can consistently pile damage on, you can eliminate an elemental weakness with a sidequest, and you can take advantage of the engine to use auto haste and whatnot. Animation times didn't affect the ATB or something like that, so you could get a lot of commands in while Ozma was using a lengthy spell animation IIRC.

It's a battle that is 60% luck, 30% preparation, and 10% grit.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

TARDISman posted:

If I recall correctly, whenever you take an action Ozma's ATB refills and his actions have priority over your party's, but he's quite slow otherwise.
ATB empties only when an action is finished, so wait until everyone has full ATB and input everyone's move at once. Ozma will get only 1 action to your 4 this way.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

TARDISman posted:

There were a few tricks. Do the friendly monster sidequest to turn its Dark immunity into a weakness, build up the skills for Zidane, Freya and/or Quina that do huge damage for little MP, equip everyone with dark-absorbing gear to make Doomsday irrelevant, don't have any levels at a multiple of 5 so it doesn't use Lvl5 Death. None of those are "grind to level 99 and keep fighting for half an hour" though.

Omobono posted:

If I recall correctly, whenever you take an action Ozma's ATB refills and his actions have priority over your party's, but he's quite slow otherwise.
ATB empties only when an action is finished, so wait until everyone has full ATB and input everyone's move at once. Ozma will get only 1 action to your 4 this way.

See, I had no idea this was true and I still managed to beat him on a couple of playthroughs.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
To this day I have still not beaten Ruby Weapon.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Dr Snofeld posted:

There were a few tricks. Do the friendly monster sidequest to turn its Dark immunity into a weakness,

Since I've been playing IX with no guide, does that involve those random encounters where the monster wants you to give it ore? I've run into three or four of them, but I have no clue what to do about saying hi to whatever monster they mention.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

Lessail posted:

Since I've been playing IX with no guide, does that involve those random encounters where the monster wants you to give it ore? I've run into three or four of them, but I have no clue what to do about saying hi to whatever monster they mention.

They're just letting you know what the next friendly monster will be.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Jibo posted:

That's funny because that's like the epitome of a superboss with a gimmick that is easily beaten if you know it.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Punch Card posted:

They're just letting you know what the next friendly monster will be.

Oh cool. I'll keep on doing my thing then.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Jibo posted:

The one time I 100%d that game I cheesed it soooo hard. I had a turbofire controller rigged up with rubber bands so that the party would continually fight Sand Worms in Mideel while I watched TV on another input, checking in every hour or two to heal up and switch mastered materia. Once you master Knights of the Round, Quadra Magic and/or Mime all the superbosses just crumble. I started the Ruby Weapon fight, set up my Knights/Mime chain, went across the hall to tell my brother I was fighting Ruby and by the time we got back to my room it was dead.

So dumb, but so great. FFX's poo poo just sounds dumb, but to be honest if I wasn't playing through the game with my girlfriend I probably would at least attempt to do dumb sphere grid maxxing and superbosses. We might try Dark Valefor but I don't think we're going nuts with it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dross posted:

That's funny because that's like the epitome of a superboss with a gimmick that is easily beaten if you know it.

Yeah, I literally selected two commands and then walked away from the screen. He was dead ten minutes later.

Emerald is the real beast of the two, because he hits so hard and so unpredictably he can break or exhaust your Phoenix chains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Dross posted:

Eh, there's still a decent amount of grinding needed which is what stopped me. I tried following the "gimick" a few times but was too low of level. Emerald I did finally do the grinding for and beat him but couldn't be assed to go back and try Ruby.

Jibo fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 2, 2014