Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Imagine the threshold that he'll have with two daughters running about and, presumably, Murphy in the house. Imagen the wards he could build on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again

wheatpuppy posted:

College fund.

That was my first thought too but then Harry referenced the fact he was completely broke a few times in Skin Game.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Oroborus posted:

That was my first thought too but then Harry referenced the fact he was completely broke a few times in Skin Game.

He doesn't really need money since he's a Winter Knight and he has his own place.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

-Fish- posted:

Imagine the threshold that he'll have with two daughters running about and, presumably, Murphy in the house. Imagen the wards he could build on that.

Eh... Given his little remark about how lonely he was as an orphan kid and how much he'd have loved having a big family, I don't think he's going to take his daughter out of Michael's care. Oh, sure, now he'll be visiting every weekend or whatever, but she'll stay with the people she's used to, at least for now. Plus, she's protected like crazy there.

Now, Spirit-of-Intellect Daughter... she'll be interesting. If she gets her knowledge-base from both her parents, there's probably all sorts of Denarian secrets she'll be casually mentioning to Harry in the coming books, in a "Wait, you didn't know that already?" sort of way.

Oroborus posted:

I'm curious what Dresden is going to be doing with the money he now has, it's got to be in the hundreds of thousands at least from the diamonds, even though he didn't get the 2 mil from nick. Maybe he will buy a place back in chicago now.

Heh. I've got this horrible feeling he's going to decide diamonds make a better magical crafting material than a money source. Sell enough to get some gemcutting tools, and then make a new, really shiny shield bracelet.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Oroborus posted:

I'm curious what Dresden is going to be doing with the money he now has, it's got to be in the hundreds of thousands at least from the diamonds, even though he didn't get the 2 mil from nick. Maybe he will buy a place back in chicago now.

I'd have to double check, but I'm pretty sure Nick siad at the first meeting that they were paid the 2 million already, in advance, and the ability to up it another 20 million a piece (or more) was what kept them in the game

wheatpuppy posted:

College fund.

I'm still trying to figure out the math of Charity's comment.

7 kids, but only 5 need college to be paid for (Molly didn't go, Daniel has the GI Bill). Matthew should be fresh out/wrapping it up. That's 4 left, 5 if they are counting Maggie, which puts it between 16 and 20, not 23. Maybe one is getting a doctorate? I dunno

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 2, 2014

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Personally, I'd like to see him plan for the future. There's stuff for the kids, but it'd be nice to see him build his own place in Chicago, invest some money, both in wizardry equipment (a fancy proper lab on Demonreach) Maybe a visitors houseboat, since apparently the Whatsup Dock is exempt from Demonreach's GTFO vibe. It'd be nice to see it used to get his wizardry gear back, so we can stop hearing about how he's not used to having his various foci and poo poo.

Has it ever been stated what's on the otherside of the Nevernever from Demonreach?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
RE: Charity's math. Since Mouse accompanies Maggie to school, you gotta count him, and that's dog years. Or it was her way of hinting to Michael that she is pregnant.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Rygar201 posted:

Furthermore, it was just one man killing another, right? Uriel wasn't an angel in any sense of the word at the time, was he?

I don't really know. I thought the point of handing off the Grace to Michael is that Michael gets the power while Uriel is left with the responsibility. In which case it still matters.

Uriel is held to a higher standard than Michael, I think.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Knowing Dresden, he'll spend it on some ridiculously expensive magical device that will break the first book he uses it and then that will be that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fangz posted:

Knowing Dresden, he'll spend it on some ridiculously expensive magical device that will break the first book he uses it and then that will be that.

I know that Little Chicago got wrecked because it was obviously a bad idea from a writing perspective but man was that a frustrating fizzle of a plot.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again

Fried Chicken posted:

I'd have to double check, but I'm pretty sure Nick siad at the first meeting that they were paid the 2 million already, in advance, and the ability to up it another 20 million a piece (or more) was what kept them in the game

I think he just said it was guaranteed to them so long as he made it out with his objective, which technically he did but I doubt Nick paid them.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I know that Little Chicago got wrecked because it was obviously a bad idea from a writing perspective but man was that a frustrating fizzle of a plot.

I was really hoping there'd be a =voodoo type thing with little Chicago causing the next Great Chicago Fire.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Heh remember the belt buckle from Fool Moon? :v:

Roger Tangerines
Apr 15, 2013

by Debbie Metallica
There's also the buckle in... I think White Night? The one which gives Harry a massive power boost out of nowhere when he's at his worst, just inspires him and figuratively plays Ode to Joy in his head. That got used once, then totally dropped.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I didn't understand the Blood Gate:

Why did Nic have to kill his daughter and not just anyone exactly? Or if it had to be someone related why didn't he bring anyone with that relationship? This made the setup at the end make even less sense to me since how did they know he would kill his daughter then? It was a weird scene for me since Harry "figures" out Nic wasn't actually going to kill anyone on the team. Why would he or anyone give a poo poo if he wants to kill his evil powerful daughter? I am guessing I missed a major point during it all.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Hand Row posted:

Why did Nic have to kill his daughter and not just anyone exactly? Or if it had to be someone related why didn't he bring anyone with that relationship? This made the setup at the end make even less sense to me since how did they know he would kill his daughter then? It was a weird scene for me since Harry "figures" out Nic wasn't actually going to kill anyone on the team. Why would he or anyone give a poo poo if he wants to kill his evil powerful daughter? I am guessing I missed a major point during it all.

The point wasn't about stopping just anyone from getting involved, it was about stopping Michael from getting involved. He absolutely would have intervened in that, given the opportunity.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again

Hand Row posted:

It had to be his daughter because he needed someone he could trust to pull the lever to open the gate after Nic killed them.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

King of Solomon posted:

The point wasn't about stopping just anyone from getting involved, it was about stopping Michael from getting involved. He absolutely would have intervened in that, given the opportunity.

Also, the person he killed would still need to ghost over and pull the lever, so it had to be someone who would be willing to help once they were dead.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
So bring a minion and kill him? If they don't do it then kill your daughter.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hand Row posted:

Nick doesn't trust his minions, remember? Part of the reason he has their tongue cut out is to make it harder for them to form bonds and thus less likely to betray him.

RageCage
Jun 7, 2004

Rumda posted:

It literally HAS to be Minerva.

If he names her Minerva, he can (and probably will) call her Minnie. Minnie and Maggie. It's too perfect not to happen like that.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Hand Row posted:

He knew he was bringing along Dresden for the gate of Ice, and Michael ended up coming to. Bringing a random mook would probably have tipped Harry and Michael off to what was really going on, and both of them have a tendency to say 'gently caress the consequences' if something like that happens.

Plus he's absolutely frightened of something and believes that Deirdre being stuck in Hades' domain will protect her from 'the Adversary'. Now if that's Nemesis, the White God or someone else we have no idea. But something spooked Nick hard and he put a ridiculous number of resources into play for this plan. I figure he's trying to prevent an apocalypse of some kind. And sacrificing his daughter was worth it for both of them.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Fangz posted:

I don't really know. I thought the point of handing off the Grace to Michael is that Michael gets the power while Uriel is left with the responsibility. In which case it still matters.

Uriel is held to a higher standard than Michael, I think.

I think the idea is that whoever is holding the archangel grace can't make choices that affect free will, but since Michael's choice had already been made the grace didn't actually end up affecting anybody's free will. Thus, when Uriel is graceless, he can make the same choices any other mortal could make. I guess.

Actually, my random post in the old thread was... weirdly close to the truth.

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

This has me wondering about something. Could a supernatural being freely act if they were to constrain themselves to working as a vanilla mortal? Could say, Uriel, decided "gently caress this noise I'm gonna go mix it up" and put his power and most of his knowledge in storage or something, then go after Nicky with a shotgun?

AllTerrineVehicle fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jun 2, 2014

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Rumda posted:

It literally HAS to be Minerva.

There's no way it will be Minerva. Harry's not going to name his daughter after a goddess who's quite possibly still alive and kicking; the risks of her being offended at his presumption are too high.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Khizan posted:

There's no way it will be Minerva. Harry's not going to name his daughter after a goddess who's quite possibly still alive and kicking; the risks of her being offended at his presumption are too high.

Oh yeah, Harry never does something shortsighted and ill-advised that pisses incredibly powerful people off.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
Has Mab asked Harry to do anything he wouldn't have done on his own anyway? It's getting kind of old for her to try some grand manipulation while Harry kicks and screams to avoid doing it until he realizes doing her bidding is his jam.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrower posted:

Has Mab asked Harry to do anything he wouldn't have done on his own anyway? It's getting kind of old for her to try some grand manipulation while Harry kicks and screams to avoid doing it until he realizes doing her bidding is his jam.

The entirety of Skin Game. If given a choice he wouldn't have helped Nick at all. Not even if he knew it was a trap since people still died to pull it off. Him helping Nick was 100% something Mab wanted and he didn't.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Harry totally will do that when it is his rear end on the line; I think he will be much less willing to do so when his daughter would share in the risk.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Did no one else catch that harry touches the real grail and feels a body wide tingle? If that's the real grail, then he no longer needs the winter mantle to keep himself chugging along.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Sir Rabia Tirnova posted:

Did no one else catch that harry touches the real grail and feels a body wide tingle? If that's the real grail, then he no longer needs the winter mantle to keep himself chugging along.

Isn't that only if you drink from it?

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
I'm still pretty disappointed at how badly Murphy got shafted from any power-up or character development. Hopefully the next book will be better for her but she got screwed, big time. Still hoping that she signs up with Odin and becomes a Valkyrie.

If she gets fridged I'm done, though.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Mars4523 posted:

If she gets fridged I'm done, though.

Dont think i'd stop reading, but i'd sure as hell be annoyed at it too. Its just so... tacky to do something like that.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Thyrork posted:

Dont think i'd stop reading, but i'd sure as hell be annoyed at it too. Its just so... tacky to do something like that.

What?

She deserves an exit or a transformation of role. She's not the protagonist and she's outlived her plot archetype by several books. It's not the end of the world if she gets to run off to join the valkyries or what have you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Anias posted:

What?

She deserves an exit or a transformation of role. She's not the protagonist and she's outlived her plot archetype by several books. It's not the end of the world if she gets to run off to join the valkyries or what have you.

Murphy is a major character and about as close to a secondary protagonist as the series has. She has been there literally since the short story that started the series, has had her own point-of-view stories, and is given more time, effort, energy and plot weight than literally any other character in the books besides Dresden himself. She hasn't 'outlived her plot archetype' because her role is something extremely central to the books and the core story.

If she got killed off so Harry Dresden feels bad it would be remarkably lovely writing and would serve to take away the one character flat-out willing to call Harry on his poo poo. She and Michael together represent a pretty important role in the narrative of the books because they are the two people who Harry will listen to and each of them approaching his problems from a different angle, both of which Harry needs to hear at some point or another.

Until such point as Harry Dresden becomes a character who doesn't need someone to call him out on his bullshit, Murphy is going to be a necessary character because literally nobody else can fill that role. Considering I'm fairly sure that the literal biblical Apocalypse will occur before that happens, I don't see her going anywhere for any meaningful length of time. You couldn't even introduce someone else who could because the only reason Murphy can fill that role is her and Dresden's long-term relationship and mutually built respect.

She does need to undergo a transformative role but not one that removes her from the story for a lengthy period of time. That is why the Sword shell game is getting kind of tiresome. If she isn't getting the sword than she's getting something equivalent but out of left field and the question is just going to be how many books of self-doubt it will be before it happens.

To be fair, I think this is Butcher trying to avoid what he's done so many times before and introduce a super-powerful McGuffin that he then has to write around to keep the series-long tradition of Harry Dresden being outclassed and having the poo poo beaten out of him 10 times in a day. If Murphy is on-call and is Sword-level mojo, a lot of Harry's issues become a whole loving lot simpler to deal with, even under the restrictions the Swords have. I'm curious to see how Butters avoids being a Jedi Knight Problem Solver in upcoming books.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jun 2, 2014

Roger Tangerines
Apr 15, 2013

by Debbie Metallica
Murphy will be at the final series-ending showdown, or I'll be pretty disappointed. You know, unless something better happens to her.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Anias posted:

What?

Perhaps i am mistaken, but "fridged" to me sounds like "Stuffed into a fridge", and that to me means someone being killed off to encourage character growth in others. :smith: I dont want that to happen to Murphy.

As for Murphy taking up/Not taking up a sword. The duties of the sword would remove her as a reliable ally to Dresden. Thats my speculation as to why Butcher hasn't. E: Ill put that behind a spoiler, just to be safe.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jun 2, 2014

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Thyrork posted:

Perhaps i am mistaken, but "fridged" to me sounds like "Stuffed into a fridge", and that to me means someone being killed off to encourage character growth in others. :smith: I dont want that to happen to Murphy.

I've always taken fridged as a reference to the Identity Crisis comic, where someone's wife was killed off and found in a fridge just to show how evil a b-list villain really was. Yes ,it was really dumb.

servo106
Apr 26, 2006

gninjagnome posted:

I've always taken fridged as a reference to the Identity Crisis comic, where someone's wife was killed off and found in a fridge just to show how evil a b-list villain really was. Yes ,it was really dumb.

It was actually a Green Lantern arc where that happened. Identity Crisis just had Sue Dinby retconned raped and murdered for reasons. Both were equally stupid.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

ImpAtom posted:

I'm curious to see how Butters avoids being a Jedi Knight Problem Solver in upcoming books.

He is going to get his rear end kicked by the Einherjar he promised to fight after getting a functional lightsaber, and spend three books in traction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Sir Rabia Tirnova posted:

It may be before that even. Remember when the Genoskwa stuck him with a nail, that he mentions feeling his legs, which presumably he shouldn't have been able to do sans-Mantle.

On the whole I think this one was weaker than Cold Days, but also that following up on Cold Days would have been next-to-impossible so I'm not bothered by that too much. It's heavier on cheesecake and there are a few more "I write pulp novel" moments, but I may just have been looking for them more closely. The stab against health care legislation felt like something that should have been in a holofoil covered Baen book.

I think Murphy's fine. I have no objection to where her character is and neither want her written out, nor given a pure power up. It's important to recognize the importance of having a vanilla on the team.