Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Zorak posted:

Also congratulations Japan on your Scaled Wurm reprint.

Wait what's the story on this? Japan gets Scaled Wurm in Conspiracy and other countries don't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
There were only five Ice Age cards printed in Japanese (as a promotional thing) and Scaled Wurm wasn't one of them. Japan did get 5th, 6th and 9th editions, but Conspiracy will be the first black-bordered Japanese printing of Scaled Wurm. This is noteworthy because it's sort of a meme among some Japanese players, like Storm Crow is with the MTG reddit crowd.

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jun 2, 2014

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.
Oh man I can't wait to hopefully draft Junk at my LGS. I'd love to use Altar's Reap on a Gatekeeper to try to cheat in Spiritmonger, Woodvine Elemental, Magister of Worth, or AEther Searcher at least.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Promoted Pawn posted:

So how many copies of each card do I need to make a cube of a set that would roughly replicate the distribution you would see in a normal pack? I'm assuming 1 of each mythic and 2 of each rare, but I can't quite figure out uncommon(4?) and common(8?).

Other people have given you more accurate numbers, but most draft sim cubes do 1/1/2/4 just for ease of use. It's not 100% accurate, but it's close enough that it'll still have the same general feel as using regular packs.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Wait what's the story on this? Japan gets Scaled Wurm in Conspiracy and other countries don't?

No, Japan just loves Scaled Wurm because internet memes

Hopping Ghost posted:

There were only five Ice Age cards printed in Japanese (as a promotional thing) and Scaled Wurm wasn't one of them. Japan did get 5th, 6th and 9th editions, but Conspiracy will be the first black-bordered Japanese printing of Scaled Wurm. This is noteworthy because it's sort of a meme among some Japanese players, like Storm Crow is with the MTG reddit crowd.

Is there a particular reason behind the Scaled Wurm obsession? I've never quite got the joke.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Fuuuuuuuuck, I passed that during my conspiracy draft :(

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

So if someone bounces your Phage with oblivion ring/ etc, or if you make another creature you control a copy of it, do you still lose instantly?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

change my name posted:

So if someone bounces your Phage with oblivion ring/ etc, or if you make another creature you control a copy of it, do you still lose instantly?

Yes, no.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

change my name posted:

Back in the day my favorite way to beat my buddy's Phage deck was to play Faceless Butcher and then sac the Butcher to Nantuko Husk.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Depends how the copy comes into being. Phantasmal Image is fine if played from the hand, and not reanimated or flickered, a token copy will lose the game.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

If something already on the battlefield later becomes Phage you also don't lose the game.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Alaan posted:

If something already on the battlefield later becomes Phage you also don't lose the game.

RIP middle-period Full English Breakfast

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Alaan posted:

This is what I meant as "copy of", I was thinking of a situation where you discarded it and also owned one of those creatures that could become something in a graveyard.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
Are there any rules about asking a judge for oracle text on a card during a draft? I'm deciding where on the scale of douchebaggery adding a pack of non-English Dragon's Maze lies if one were to draft a Lore Seeker.

e: Also, are Conspiracy packs going to show up in big box stores or is it an LGS exclusive like the event decks? This set seems like a set I'll probably end up wanting to impulse buy packs on since I probably won't get to draft it as heavily as a regular set.

BXCX fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 2, 2014

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

BXCX posted:

Are there any rules about asking a judge for oracle text on a card during a draft? I'm deciding where on the scale of douchebaggery adding a pack of non-English Dragon's Maze lies if one were to draft a Lore Seeker.

e: Also, are Conspiracy packs going to show up in big box stores or is it an LGS exclusive like the event decks? This set seems like a set I'll probably end up wanting to impulse buy packs on since I probably won't get to draft it as heavily as a regular set.

Probably LGS only.

However I DID see some Event Decks for JOU at Target recently, so it might be possible.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.
Do you think I can make a decent cube out of just one Conspiracy box or should I get two? This will be my first cube and figure this is the easiest way to get into the format.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

OssiansFolly posted:

Do you think I can make a decent cube out of just one Conspiracy box or should I get two? This will be my first cube and figure this is the easiest way to get into the format.

Step one get a print quota at work/school
Step two print out every card you want and shove em in

If you're buying conspiracy boxes just draft with em, don't put all the leftover cards into a cube that sounds weird.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Mortimer posted:

If you're buying conspiracy boxes just draft with em, don't put all the leftover cards into a cube that sounds weird.

My plan was to get some Conspiracy, draft with it, and then collect back the cards and use that as a jumping-off point for a cube :shrug:

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

OssiansFolly posted:

One should be fine, and you can always add more packs later.

Count Bleck posted:

Probably LGS only.

However I DID see some Event Decks for JOU at Target recently, so it might be possible.

It probably depends on the company stocking the product for Target. If they have an actual store somewhere, they could easily get the product to sell.

BXCX posted:

The real question is if the judge will know what it is to look it up.

moravec
Apr 24, 2007

The fourth law of robots is screw you, I'm outta here.

Kabanaw posted:

My plan was to get some Conspiracy, draft with it, and then collect back the cards and use that as a jumping-off point for a cube :shrug:

My plan as well. Screw the piracy suggestion--I have four boxes ordered because I would like to support Wizards' following through on such a cool idea. I just wish they had printed it as a reusable "cube" set in the first place instead of boosters.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Mortimer posted:

That's not weird at all. Lots of people did that with Modern Masters.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Kabanaw posted:

I've made a few cubes, and from what I've seen conspiracy just doesn't feel like the kind of set you want to base a cube off of. A lot of cards are cool and that's awesome but I feel like a conspiracube using only that set (or mostly that set) will feel stale really fast, especially after drafting it a few times. Conspiracy, like most sets, is designed to be "fair and balanced" to all players while avoiding any reprints. Cube's don't have to follow the reserved list, the "don't reprint because LGS will hate you" list, or the "keep the power level reasonable" doctrine. Half the fun in a cube is throwing in cards like Gifts Ungiven and Unburial rites or splinter twin, or any combination of cards that are really fun to play with that you will never EVER see in a pack again.

I had an idea people have probably already thought of for cube, and that's separate the conspiracy draft-altering cards and when you're making packs to draft throw one in each cube pack. That's a good use of conspiracy.

edit: lol at "piracy"

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
You wouldn't download a Jace

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Conspiracy would be an interesting jumping-off point for a multiplayer cube, but the set isn't really powerful enough as a whole to be the real basis for a cube (Pauper cubes really have to seek out some of the best commons in order to work; while something like Lizard Warrior works in normal draft, it doesn't have a place in any cube). It also doesn't look like it's got quite distinct enough archetypes--MMA was pretty cubelike, and for a normal set Innistrad had well defined archetypes that made for some pretty distinct decks, but I'm not seeing enough of that in Conspiracy.

The Lord of Hats fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 2, 2014

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Brownhat posted:

That's not weird at all. Lots of people did that with Modern Masters.

Yeah, I turned 2 MMA boxes into a cube of 4x Common/2x Uncommon/1x Rare/0x Mythic but I needed to do a lot of legwork to gather up all the rares and a handful of uncommons I missed.

Dumb rules question:

If I cast Natural Order sacrificing Worldspine Wurm can I search up that same Worldspine Wurm since it gets shuffled into the library when it dies?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Yes, because you sacrificed the Worldspine Wurm as a cost, then shuffled it in before the spell resolves.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

BXCX posted:

If I cast Natural Order sacrificing Worldspine Wurm can I search up that same Worldspine Wurm since it gets shuffled into the library when it dies?

Yes. You announce Natural Order, pay the costs (one of which is sacrificing Worldspine Wurm), and then put the spell on the stack. Wurm's shuffle effect then gets triggered and resolves before Natural Order. You can then search it out when NO resolves.

ScarletBrother fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 2, 2014

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I think using a box of Conspiracy as the core of a draft sim or cube is fine. Many of the cards are a lot more suited for multiplayer games, so you might want to do a lot of customization if you plan on using it for 1v1 matches. The always go first conspiracy card, for example, is pretty fair for a group game but probably too good for head to head.

Cubes don't have to be powerful to work and an increasing number of them are being built to create specific draft and play environments rather than just trying to push the most broken cards and decks together.

whydirt fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 2, 2014

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Flowstone Blade is a really cool reprint for a multiplayer-focused set.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

LordSaturn posted:

Yes, because you sacrificed the Worldspine Wurm as a cost, then shuffled it in before the spell resolves.

ScarletBrother posted:

Yes. You pay announce Natural Order, pay the costs (one of which is sacrificing Worldspine Wurm), and then put the spell on the stack. Wurm's shuffle effect then gets triggered and resolves before Natural Order. You can then search it out when NO resolves.

Thanks! Looks like I'll be abusing that more regularly in the future.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Magic Forge is set up so you can click "No" when asked if you want to pay life to activate Mana Confluence and it'll still give you the mana :psyduck:

EDIT: And it untaps it so you can do it again!

EDIT: Doesn't do if it's the only land out so presumably it checks if you have other mana sources to pay with but otherwise i have no idea.

PrinnySquadron fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 2, 2014

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

PrinnySquadron posted:

Magic Forge is set up so you can click "No" when asked if you want to pay life to activate Mana Confluence and it'll still give you the mana :psyduck:

EDIT: And it untaps it so you can do it again!

EDIT: Doesn't do if it's the only land out so presumably it checks if you have other mana sources to pay with but otherwise i have no idea.

That's okay, the real MTGO has a bug with Prophetic Flamespeaker where if you get both exiled cards and play a scryland with it, you can't scry because the window is fixed behind the Exile window. The game ends and you lose.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
If you're playing Plains in Modern or whatever, other than specifically against Blood Moon/Magus of the Moon, is there a specific reason you wouldn't run Flagstones of Trokair? With the current Legendary rule you'd even be able to tap it before playing the second one you've drawn and you wouldn't lose mana for that turn. Is there a hidden downside I'm not seeing?

Mordieth
Dec 23, 2008
what you said + can't be fetched and can't get one off of path to exile

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
And you don't even get any good armageddon effects in Modern. :shrug:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

And you don't even get any good armageddon effects in Modern. :shrug:

Cascade into Boom/Bust is pretty decent.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Angry Grimace posted:

That's okay, the real MTGO has a bug with Prophetic Flamespeaker where if you get both exiled cards and play a scryland with it, you can't scry because the window is fixed behind the Exile window. The game ends and you lose.

Is Mind's Desire still broken?

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Zorak posted:

Is there a particular reason behind the Scaled Wurm obsession? I've never quite got the joke.

I think it's mostly because it's just the sort of big dumb vanilla creature with a cool dragon in the art that kids and new players would think was awesome. If there's more to the meme than "it's funny because we're acting like something that isn't particularly special is overpowered," I dunno what it is. It's their "reprint Storm Crow"/"Honey Badger don't care."

I remember Scaled Wurm's art was one of the big faces of MTG when I was a kid and it was all over store displays, magazine ads, page-a-day calendars, etc. - but Japan never got a localized Ice Age release so that probably didn't contribute.

EDIT: Oh wow, I am so tempted to buy this. I cut all my favorite illustrations out of this and glued them all over my trade binder/school Trapper Keeper. I was a really cool 11-year-old.

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 3, 2014

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Hopping Ghost posted:

EDIT: Oh wow, I am so tempted to buy this. I cut all my favorite illustrations out of this and glued them all over my trade binder/school Trapper Keeper. I was a really cool 11-year-old.
That would have been great to use this year. Guess you'll have to wait until 2025.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
Because it drives me insane when people use dice to represent token creatures, I like to plan ahead to bring as many of the appropriate tokens for limited as I can. In case anyone else is weird like me, here's what you'll need for Conspiracy and the cards that make them:

1/1 White Spirit w/ Flying (Custodi Soulbinders, Doomed Traveler)
X/X Black Demon w/ Flying (Reign of the Pit)
2/2 Black Zombie (Wakedancer)
4/4 Red Ogre (Grenzo's Rebuttal)
3/3 Green Elephant (Elephant Guide, Selvala's Charge, Terrastodon)
1/1 Green Squirrel (Squirrel Nest)
2/2 Green Wolf (Predator's Howl, Wolfbriar Elemental)
1/1 Colorless Construct artifact w/ Defender (Flamewright, Sentinel Dispatch)
Dack Emblem (Donk Fandango)

• Locked thread