Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

DarkHorse posted:

Anyone else feel like this is your job sometimes always?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg

Nope, it's more like this. 8 hours a day, everyday, even on days off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCniMXdbO6c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's so badly looped :argh:

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

DarkHorse posted:

Anyone else feel like this is your job sometimes always?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg

Yes. So very very much.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Yup, 5 ridiculous months of job searching ended with an offer letter yesterday. New position is contract but at a 45% raise over my last position, same benefits.

I'm very confused about your job post if this contact is where I think it is

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Caged posted:

It's so badly looped :argh:

There's a better one but I couldn't find it. :(

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

We deployed an untested patch because it was a "small fix" and nearly broke some equipment worth $125 million. gently caress my life. Lesson re-learned :smith:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Wibla posted:

We deployed an untested patch because it was a "small fix" and nearly broke some equipment worth $125 million. gently caress my life. Lesson re-learned :smith:

This is ammunition for you to use any time one of your bosses who doesn't understand good IT practices gets uppity about how long you might be taking to implement a thing.

"Remember last May when, in the interests of expediency, we deployed something without testing and nearly lost 125 million dollars worth of equipment and who knows how many man-hours it would have taken to replace and reconfigure it? What we're doing now will prevent that. If you'd like to sign something saying you'll take full responsibility for that kind of loss, having been informed of the risks, we can hurry it up for you."

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Che Delilas posted:

"Remember last May when, in the interests of expediency, we deployed something without testing and nearly lost 125 million dollars worth of equipment and who knows how many man-hours it would have taken to replace and reconfigure it? What we're doing now will prevent that. If you'd like to sign something saying you'll take full responsibility for that kind of loss, having been informed of the risks, we can hurry it up for you."

Sounds like entrapment to me.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

GreenNight posted:

Sounds like entrapment to me.

I love how Entrapment now seems to mean "Telling me that this could go wrong doesn't make it my fault, even if I'm the one who OK'd it. I still get to blame you, even though I forced you to do it."

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer
Entrapment means you made me look bad by doing the correct thing AND YOU DID IT ON PURPOSE DIDN'T YOU

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

evol262 posted:

I'm very confused about your job post if this contact is where I think it is

Fair enough, I had two jobs that I was looking at. The first is the one I took, the second was for a startup company in Redmond that a friend works for. I opted to not take that one because of a few reasons, but the job itself could be a good opportunity for someone and I'm trying to help the friend find a potentially qualified candidate because they're a friend.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Fair enough, I had two jobs that I was looking at. The first is the one I took, the second was for a startup company in Redmond that a friend works for. I opted to not take that one because of a few reasons, but the job itself could be a good opportunity for someone and I'm trying to help the friend find a potentially qualified candidate because they're a friend.

That job posting actually got me kind of excited. I'm totally unqualified for it but I was just thinking, that'd be a neat job, I should continue to acquire skills that will push me in that direction.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
What's the likelihood of getting a software company to pay me for a solution I found for their crappy software?

Ticket: Laptop docked, software sits on right screen. When undocked, software still sits on non-existent right screen and you have to go through task manager to maximize the window and get it back.

Software support's solution: use the task manager workaround, this is a known issue and we don't plan on fixing it because :confused:

5 minutes later I, a first year desktop support, find out how to fix their software via registry edits.

Should I be a nice guy and follow up with their support team telling them what to do to fix it? Or should I contact them and hold the solution ransom for 1 hour of billable time?

Judge Schnoopy fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 1, 2014

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Judge Schnoopy posted:

What's the likelihood of getting a software company to pay me for a solution I found for their crappy software?

Ticket: Laptop docked, software sits on right screen. When undocked, software still sits on non-existent right screen and you have to go through task manager to maximize the window and get it back.

Software support's solution: use the task manager workaround, this is a known issue and we don't plan on fixing it because :confused:

5 minutes later I, a first year desktop support, find out how to fix their software via registry edits.

Should I be a nice guy and follow up with their support team telling them what to do to fix it? Or should I contact them and hold the solution ransom for 1 hour of billable time?

They won't pay for it. Because that would make sense.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Judge Schnoopy posted:

It's not worth their developer's time. They will pay you nothing.

Actual answer: start blogging about stuff you do. Put solutions to problems there. Including this.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

evol262 posted:

Actual answer: start blogging about stuff you do. Put solutions to problems there. Including this.

This. This will get you job offers, if you can find useful/interesting stuff.

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

Mind sharing the program? I have that happen with several programs when I go from docked to undocked.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Tigerpaw specifically. They designed registry keys to hold a pixel based value of where it was closed. Then there's a key of RestoreSizeOnOpen set to 1. Set to 0 and it opens in the upper left corner every time.

It was idiotically simple for them to have told me they couldn't be assed to find a solution.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

blackswordca posted:

How im celebrating tonight. Finacee made mini pumpkin pies

Thank you all for the grats and well wishes.. you guys helped me stay sane, I appreciate it more than anyone will ever realize it. Cheers to you all!

Cheers man, I'll have an extra Ohio gas station diluted whisky and coke for you.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Tigerpaw specifically. They designed registry keys to hold a pixel based value of where it was closed. Then there's a key of RestoreSizeOnOpen set to 1. Set to 0 and it opens in the upper left corner every time.

It was idiotically simple for them to have told me they couldn't be assed to find a solution.

You will never hear a company admit "We just don't care enough for this bug."

Never, ever, ever.

evol262 posted:

Do this. Either they have better things to do, or their developers are totally incompetent, or any combination of other reasons. Regardless, they won't pay you for this.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

A hilarious bug came in! I tried to add a work item on a ticket, and was met with this error:

quote:

PHP Error: Uncaught ADODB_Exception in /kbox/kboxwww/include/KTicket.class.php on line 2632: mysql error: [1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 's office.', '12', '0.00000')' at line 1] in EXECUTE("insert into HD_WORK (HD_TICKET_ID, START, STOP, NOTE, USER_ID, ADJUSTMENT_HOURS) values (265, '2014-06-02 09:00:00', '2014-06-02 10:15:00', 'Attempted to repair the Sharp but upon opening the stapler compartment I found that to actually get at the components inside it would potentially take me an hour or more to disassemble the unit. Have powered off the unit. Temporary(?) replacement printer has been installed in <user>'s office.', '12', '0.00000')")

Apparently writing '<user name>'s office' breaks the ticket!

KACE :allears:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Sirotan posted:

A hilarious bug came in! I tried to add a work item on a ticket, and was met with this error:

:aaaaa:

Seriously. Non parameterised SQL in 2014 :wtc:

jre fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 2, 2014

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Sirotan posted:

That message means you misspelled the user's name. His real name is "user name>','12','0');drop table HD_WORK;"

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

jre posted:

:aaaaa:

Seriously. Non parameterised SQL in 2014 :wtc:

That's horrifying. Honestly, modern compilers should just refuse to compile non-parameterized queries. "Error: No I will not let you spread your rear end in a top hat THIS wide."

Splashy Gravy
Dec 21, 2004

I HAVE FURY!
Slippery Tilde

BabyFur Denny posted:

That message means you misspelled the user's name. His real name is "user name>','12','0');drop table HD_WORK;"

I know next to nothing about databases, but I'm guessing this is an attack (injection?) that would wipe a good chuck of that database.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Splashy Gravy posted:

I know next to nothing about databases, but I'm guessing this is an attack (injection?) that would wipe a good chuck of that database.

"Drop table" is SQL for "rm -rf".

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Splashy Gravy posted:

Injection the correct term, yes.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Splashy Gravy posted:

They aren't using parameterized queries so the user input is passed straight to the SQL server. This allows him to end the insert command and start a new command which is to drop or delete that table.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

BabyFur Denny posted:

You need to end the injection with a -- for a comment otherwise the messed up SQL won't parse.

"user'); drop table HD_WORK; --"

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

peak debt posted:

You need to end the injection with a -- for a comment otherwise the messed up SQL won't parse.

"user'); drop table HD_WORK; --"

Sirotan, please do the needful.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

Moey posted:

Sirotan, please do the needful.

Bur first, use it to poke around the DB structure and bump up your stats :)

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
TBH it should be user'); drop table information_schema; --

MySQL also makes it very easy to make it happen off-hours via SLEEP.

deimos fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jun 2, 2014

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Biggus Dickus posted:

Bur first, use it to poke around the DB structure and bump up your stats :)

I'm the only one who even bothers logging work to tickets as it is so I probably wouldn't need to. :(

And it looks like all it takes is using a comma quote somewhere in the notes field to get this result, as I had it happen on another ticket now too. As a bonus, KACE has removed support for our device due to a billing issue (even though it was resolved on our end last week), and as a consequence I can no longer submit tickets to them to alert them of this bug!

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 2, 2014

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Sirotan posted:

I'm the only one who even bothers logging work to tickets as it is so I probably wouldn't need to. :(

And it looks like all it takes is using a comma somewhere in the notes field to get this result, as I had it happen on another ticket now too. As a bonus, KACE has removed support for our device due to a billing issue (even though it was resolved on our end last week), and as a consequence I can no longer submit tickets to them to alert them of this bug!

Quote, not comma, at least I think. And who are we kidding, the reponse will be quotes in the description field are not supported.

EDIT: WAIT A MINUTE, why the gently caress is there an EXECUTE( in that statement?

EDIT2: Oh god, KACE http://www.exploit-db.com/exploits/27039/ :allears:

deimos fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 2, 2014

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

deimos posted:

Quote, not comma, at least I think. And who are we kidding, the reponse will be quotes in the description field are not supported.

EDIT: WAIT A MINUTE, why the gently caress is there an EXECUTE( in that statement?

EDIT2: Oh god, KACE http://www.exploit-db.com/exploits/27039/ :allears:

Whoops sorry yeah meant quote not comma. And wow, Dell has known about this since last FEBRUARY? I guess it doesn't matter that I can't even submit a bug report then huh. Jesus christ.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Che Delilas posted:

That's horrifying. Honestly, modern compilers should just refuse to compile non-parameterized queries. "Error: No I will not let you spread your rear end in a top hat THIS wide."

PHP isn't compiled, unless you're using hip-hop, and even then its kind of weird.

I mean, there are like 8 ways to Sunday to clean user input in php/MySQL stuff.
If you're not cleaning user input, you should be placed in a special level of hell.

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

Volmarias posted:

You will never hear a company admit "We just don't care enough for this bug."

Never, ever, ever.

Liar!

I've been told just that. Well, it was "we won't be fixing this issue, it's not important" but it's still exactly the same!

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Zephirus posted:

I regularly have to deal with an engineer at a vendor who uses full stops instead of spaces.

Emails....come..in...looking...like...this

I guess because a normal full stop is smaller than a space he always puts more than one (of a random quantity) between each word.

I just can't understand it.

You need to open the console for that engineer, and set the Shatner_Mode env to 0.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

DROP TABLE commonly won't work if there are active connections to the database (at least in SQL Server), use TRUNCATE TABLE instead. That'll preserve the schema, and 'just' delete all the rows in it. :science:

(I tried once on an old server after we had migrated the db off and it plain wouldn't let me use DROP)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Caconym posted:

DROP TABLE commonly won't work if there are active connections to the database (at least in SQL Server), use TRUNCATE TABLE instead. That'll preserve the schema, and 'just' delete all the rows in it. :science:

(I tried once on an old server after we had migrated the db off and it plain wouldn't let me use DROP)

You can totally drop a table in MySQL mid query, unless the user doesn't have permission. Most users will get it, as most MySQL app's are designed with a (nearly) full permission user in mind.

• Locked thread