Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It fleshes things out a lot, though. It's disappointing to see it restate stuff but when I needed a go-to NPC when running it recently, it was pretty handy in regards to having the character I needed when I needed them.

Memorial Blossom was probably the worst adventure of the ones I've run so far, though, mainly because though a lot of them rely on the PCs being somewhat ignorant or dumb, Memorial Blossom requires the PCs to be brain-dead not to yank the adventure off the rails. Of course, a lot of this comes down to the heavy-handedness in the way Double Cross is expected to be run, but it's the equivalent of putting a bomb in the PCs' lap and expecting them to just wait around for the villains to light the fuse.

Care to elaborate a little? Kind of curious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
If a power in Double Cross has a skill attached to it but doesn't actually require a roll (its Difficulty is Auto) what the hell is the skill for? Do you need at least one point in it to use the power?

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

I only take special jobs, if you know what I mean.
That means that, when comboing, it can only be comboed with powers that use that skill.

So an RC power that modifies an attack to inflict Rigor on a hit can ONLY be comboed with other powers that say their skill is RC.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Rules as written, the power with the difficulty of Auto can be used on it's own, technically. Depending on how it's phrased, it might not do anything on it's own, though. Double Cross is really good at having powers that are phrased so that such powers are useless without combinations, or have other sections that make it clear/explicit that a combo is required to use them.

Yes, you need to have bought a power (or obtained it for free in char gen) to use a power.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Man, the game is not kidding when they recommend you pick a pre gen for your first time. I'n guessing the versatility of Half-Breeds is more important than the potential of Pure-Breeds?

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Captain Walker posted:

Man, the game is not kidding when they recommend you pick a pre gen for your first time. I'n guessing the versatility of Half-Breeds is more important than the potential of Pure-Breeds?

And make sure you're using the errataed pregens, too (which still don't list Warding or Resurrection even though they should have them). I ended up transcribing every drat power they had, but now that there's a PDF you can just print them out.

The Pure-Breed powers don't seem worth giving up an entire Syndrome, at least not for your first couple characters, but some are quite nice.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Parkreiner posted:

And make sure you're using the errataed pregens, too (which still don't list Warding or Resurrection even though they should have them). I ended up transcribing every drat power they had, but now that there's a PDF you can just print them out.

The Pure-Breed powers don't seem worth giving up an entire Syndrome, at least not for your first couple characters, but some are quite nice.

Is the PDF errated?

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Parkreiner posted:

Disagree, at least for...morpheus? Whichever one. Making a ridiculous one hit murder sword with invuln armor is all you will ever need.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011
Yeah, the PDF post-dates all the errata that I'm aware of. Which was a fair amount...

Pladdicus posted:

Disagree, at least for...morpheus? Whichever one. Making a ridiculous one hit murder sword with invuln armor is all you will ever need.

Yeah, Morpheus is a notable outlier, if only because you need to either be Purebreed or on the edge of going Gjaum to clap your hands and summon a giant robot.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Pladdicus posted:

Also you have to be Purebreed Morpheus for Morph Vehicle: Giant Robot. (Morph Vehicle is normally capped at 3 levels. To get a Morph Robot, you need 5 levels. So it's purebreed only.)

Also having extra power ranks as a Servant-focused Stoker is never exactly bad, since some of your stoker powers give you even more servants at once. Force multipliers are go.

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 16, 2014

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
My thought is that pure-breeds are more powerful once you have a fair bit of experience to level up your powers past the default limits. A lot of powers scale really well with levels, and in this system encroach costs notably do not scale. Pure breed get more bang out of every encroach spent, once they have a fair quantity of exp.

Half-breeds are more versatile and can put together better power combinations, but doing so will cost more encroach and will have a lower ceiling. If you stumble on a particularly good combination it's worth it. Otherwise, you'll be able to do more at lower levels and fall off just a little at higher levels.

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 16, 2014

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

By the way, if you haven't picked up the Double Cross PDFs yet, they're on sale for 25% off this weekend.

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.php?discount=9537adb619

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.php?discount=9537adb17a

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Evil Mastermind posted:

By the way, if you haven't picked up the Double Cross PDFs yet, they're on sale for 25% off this weekend.

Oh!

Thanks, guy!

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Evil Mastermind posted:

I finally caved and bought it just last weekend :argh:

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
Thank gently caress for the PDFs. I've been struggling to think of a way to scan the powers chapters without damaging the book and not wanting to write up my own power cards on Powerpoint or something because, jesus, I'd be there for months. Hooray for power cards!

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Hmm. For me, it looks like they're still full price. Did I miss the sale, or...?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

LeSquide posted:

Hmm. For me, it looks like they're still full price. Did I miss the sale, or...?

Did you use the links? They apply the discount and put in it your DriveThru cart.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
I was ruminating how the supplements for Golden Sky Stories were not brought over the other day. Last night, I checked IPR because I am a masochist and lo' and behold, The Colors of the Sky was present on their front page. Is there any idea when the other ones are being translated?

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Tasoth posted:

I was ruminating how the supplements for Golden Sky Stories were not brought over the other day. Last night, I checked IPR because I am a masochist and lo' and behold, The Colors of the Sky was present on their front page. Is there any idea when the other ones are being translated?
The translation of Mononoke Koyake is done, but the editing is taking time, and final publication will take even longer than that and likely involve another Kickstarter. I also just finished the first-draft translation of the second supplement (Hitotsuna Komichi) and am working on the third and final supplement (Kore Kara no Michi), plus Kamiya has already sent me the image files and such for those. When they'll actually come out is way up in the air right now, but I'd like to get into the process of publishing Mononoke Koyake next year, not long after the remaining stretch goal stuff is out of the way, and do the others relatively quickly after that.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Ewen Cluney posted:

The translation of Mononoke Koyake is done, but the editing is taking time, and final publication will take even longer than that and likely involve another Kickstarter. I also just finished the first-draft translation of the second supplement (Hitotsuna Komichi) and am working on the third and final supplement (Kore Kara no Michi), plus Kamiya has already sent me the image files and such for those. When they'll actually come out is way up in the air right now, but I'd like to get into the process of publishing Mononoke Koyake next year, not long after the remaining stretch goal stuff is out of the way, and do the others relatively quickly after that.

Thank you! I'll look forward to next year then.

EDIT: Has anyone contacted you about lay out issues? The witch illustration and pony one clip over the word bubbles on the left hand side of my PDF.

Tasoth fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 29, 2014

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ver. Blue just announced that Public Enemy will be released on the June 2nd. $32 for the book, $15 for the pdf.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Tasoth posted:

Thank you! I'll look forward to next year then.

EDIT: Has anyone contacted you about lay out issues? The witch illustration and pony one clip over the word bubbles on the left hand side of my PDF.
Thanks for letting me know. I'll get Clay to fix it soon.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Not sure if this is a dumb question, but is there a reason why the Double Cross's Advanced Rulebook is more expensive than the Core?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
The obvious factors is that it's larger and has a color comic / intro. Not sure how the two compare in terms of page count, though.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Don't mind this, mispost.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The obvious factors is that it's larger and has a color comic / intro. Not sure how the two compare in terms of page count, though.
Oh, I was just looking at the page counts where Core had ~500 while Advanced is 175. If Advanced really is bigger than it makes sense.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Ewen Cluney posted:

Should backers be getting Colors via email soon?

Also...Another Kickstarter for Mononoke Koyake? Does that mean those of us who backed GSS in the first round will have to back Mononoke separately? :S

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

InfiniteJesters posted:

Should backers be getting Colors via email soon?

Also...Another Kickstarter for Mononoke Koyake? Does that mean those of us who backed GSS in the first round will have to back Mononoke separately? :S
Colors will be going out to backers after DTRPG approves it, which is taking longer than usual. When I emailed support I got an auto-response that the relevant person is on vacation this week, so hopefully it should go up by early next week. IPR meanwhile set it up for sale much sooner, but they don't have DTRPG's promotional copies function.

(And I did get the issue Tasoth mentioned fixed, though I'm not sure if IPR has updated the file just yet.)

Backers will still be getting an advance PDF of Mononoke Koyake, and the next Kickstarter will have the print version and the finalized PDF and some other goodies.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Ewen Cluney posted:

Colors will be going out to backers after DTRPG approves it, which is taking longer than usual. When I emailed support I got an auto-response that the relevant person is on vacation this week, so hopefully it should go up by early next week. IPR meanwhile set it up for sale much sooner, but they don't have DTRPG's promotional copies function.

(And I did get the issue Tasoth mentioned fixed, though I'm not sure if IPR has updated the file just yet.)

Backers will still be getting an advance PDF of Mononoke Koyake, and the next Kickstarter will have the print version and the finalized PDF and some other goodies.

Ahhhh, okay, that makes more sense. Thanks for the heads-up!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

False Hearts is up on Ver. Blue's webstore (and Amazon for $3 more for some reason), and they said the PDF should be on DriveThru in a few days once it's approved.

quote:

-New Trait Loises and Items.
-Five new sample characters.
-A more detailed look into the False Hearts organization and the motivations of its members.
-The Random Scenario System. The dice determines what happens during your story and adventure.
-New enemy abilities and sample bosses.
-Includes two sample Scenarios.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
It works out to $1 cheaper after shipping if you buy it direct, which is probably to account for amazon's listing fees.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Hope they spell out more clearly the nature of False Hearts members - as in are they gjaums, or aren't they? - or if it's deliberately ambiguous or whatever. Either way, it looks like my order's been processed, so we'll find out!

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
When someone gets it, I'd really appreciate them coming in here to tell us how much of the info is reprinted. I'll be glad to buy it as long as there's less stuff reprinted than the Advance Rulebook.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

shoplifter posted:

It works out to $1 cheaper after shipping if you buy it direct, which is probably to account for amazon's listing fees.
I figured it was something like that. I bought it direct anyway because yay supporting good companies.

Darksaber posted:

When someone gets it, I'd really appreciate them coming in here to tell us how much of the info is reprinted. I'll be glad to buy it as long as there's less stuff reprinted than the Advance Rulebook.
I know most people didn't like that, but I actually appreciated the reprinted setting information in the Advanced Rulebook because it meant I could read the whole setting without having to bounce back and forth between two books.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

The Advanced Rulebook didn't reprint much but a relative handful of NPC descriptions, though, and those were typically expanded in terms of information. The setting information in Advanced Rulebook covers some of the same groups but is not, strictly speaking, reprinted information.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Public Enemy is up on DriveThru.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
Hey, anyone know what the word is on the English version of Ryuutama? I've got the quick rules and gonna try them out soon, but I was just wondering how the English version of the 'real' book is coming along :) I think one of the guys behind it posts in this thread, so I thought I'd ask!

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011
Andy K actually sent an update this week saying the book is currently in layout, but no ETA yet.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
My copy of Public enemy showed up about 4-5 days early. In fact, the tracking info is -still- showing the 11th despite me just having finished reading it.

It's mostly, well, stuff about False Hearts, with writeups for new NPCs (No repeats from the first two books, for the record), new False Heart-only quickstart characters and T-loises, some new scenarios, and rules for random scenario generation.

One of the T-loises explains the existence of probably -some- of False hearts characters over 100 percent encroach- it lets them go to around 120 percent without going Gjaum...but as far as the UGN's concerned they're listed as one and are shoot-on-sight.

Noticed a fair few typos, but nothing that seemed to affect game info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
The time has come to run a game of Ryuutama, but I dno't really know where to start. "You are here, go here" doesn't seem to really have that magic spark.

Anybody have any experience with this thing, and what worked and what didn't?

• Locked thread