Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Can anyone confirm for me: do the new CM2-engine Battlefront games have skirmish / quick battle options? I never, ever bothered with the campaigns or pre-made missions in CMBO / CMBB / CMAK, but I loved the quick battles. If I remember rightly, the modern era ones they made subsequently did away with that option. Is it back? Also, are randomly generated maps back for QBs as well?

Pipski fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
QBs yes but no random maps, though the map pool is going to get pretty big you should worry too much about that.

There was some talk in the BF forums about how each battalion commander is considered a group, this combined with the new trigger system means there might actually be a way to have some real decent QBs vs the AI with there being one static element and another mobile.

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=115073

That's the thread. If you ignore all the cocksucking it seems like there is some actual potential right now in the QB front. I really only play against other people, but once you figure things out and are even willing to figure out the groups/triggers you can get a better QB than cmx1. Not amazing, but better.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Okay, good enough, thanks. Am I right to assume that you can still buy your units purely on a points basis for QBs? I seem to remember some chat while they were in development about you having to follow strict historical OoBs or something.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
It follows OOB tables but you are free to delete stuff within it. I've never had an issue with it.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
War in the Pacific Admirals Edition is the weekly deal at matrix. 40 bux for the download is as sane as you'll ever see from matrix, probably.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

ArchangeI posted:

War in the Pacific Admirals Edition is the weekly deal at matrix. 40 bux for the download is as sane as you'll ever see from matrix, probably.

Arrrrgh. I may have to bite on this one, even though I'm not really into boat wars/High Strategy.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I have so much free time during night shift that'd be perfect for finally making some progress on a game of WITP (or even just War Plan Orange), but loving Matrix's DRM isn't friendly with running games off a USB drive

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I don't know anything about it, but Strategic War In Europe is one of the weekly deals on Steam this week. It was $15 before the discount and a little over $9 after it, so it must not be coming straight from the bowels of one of the "real" grog game companies. Especially with the interface buttons being big, labeled with fairly obvious looking pictures, and the game having a colorful readable map.

Anybody know how it plays? It doesn't look like it's one of those "we simulate down to the individual man in a squad" games, but that doesn't automatically make it bad on a strategic level.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

Zaodai posted:

I don't know anything about it, but Strategic War In Europe is one of the weekly deals on Steam this week. It was $15 before the discount and a little over $9 after it, so it must not be coming straight from the bowels of one of the "real" grog game companies. Especially with the interface buttons being big, labeled with fairly obvious looking pictures, and the game having a colorful readable map.

Anybody know how it plays? It doesn't look like it's one of those "we simulate down to the individual man in a squad" games, but that doesn't automatically make it bad on a strategic level.

I haven't played it myself but it's in the Indie Gala Encore bundle right now. Starting at $1.50 for 7 games.

Looking at the game it kinda reminds me of the old Third Reich Board game. Not sure how it plays or if it's good.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ArchangeI posted:

gently caress. They finally got me. :argh:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Zaodai posted:

It's a simplified mini-map version of Time of Fury. I've only played Time of Fury, and while rule wise it's on the simple side and you can pretty much just start blitzing around, it's got pretty dire interface/AI.

Honestly, if you want WW2 on roughly that scale look into the Strategic Command games. Global Conflict is pretty good and the WW1 game comes with a bonus WW2 scenario. You'll have to pay mid-range Battlefront/Grognard prices though. :smith:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
40 is a steal for WITPAE. Get it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
This is what Strategic War in Europe looks like:

Get it for a buck-fifty from that bundle if you really want to try it out, but the map is way too busy, the interface sounds like a creaking fence gate, the combat mechanics are simultaneously simplistic and obscure and the AI is not great. It's a poor man's Strategic Command or Commander the Great War

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I didn't like Pandora: First Contact, but apparently it's getting a free expansion and you can get a free Steam key if you already bought it:
http://www.matrixgames.com/news/1437/Pandora.lands.on.Steam.and.gets.its.free.expansion.available!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Waaaiiiiitt......

A Steam Key and a Free Expansion?

Gentlemen. It is obvious that the pod people have infiltrated Matrix Games. As this seems to be leading to an improvement in business practices, I for one welcome our new alien game publishers.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Huh, I actually quite like Pandora but it gets a bit samey after awhile, the xpak sounds like it might mix things up a bit enough to make the game interesting again.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Grey Hunter posted:

Waaaiiiiitt......

Gentlemen. It is obvious that the pod people have infiltrated Matrix Games. As this seems to be leading to an improvement in business practices, I for one welcome our new alien game publishers.

You know what this really means, right?

You gotta do an LP.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Riso posted:

You gotta do an LP.

Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary but competition for limited resources remains a constant. Need as well as greed has followed us to the stars and the rewards of wealth still await those wise enough to recognize this deep thrumming of our common pulse.

CEO Nwabudike Ogoonu, The Ghanaian Monopoly

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary but competition for limited resources remains a constant. Need as well as greed has followed us to the stars and the rewards of wealth still await those wise enough to recognize this deep thrumming of our common pulse.

CEO Nwabudike Ogoonu, The Ghanaian Monopoly

I finally understand what this man was talking about.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Riso posted:

You gotta do an LP.

Look, I have a LP backlog atm, and I don't own Pandora.

Oh god, when did I get to the point that I have a list of games I want to LP.

**Checks notes***

June 22nd 2010 apparently.....

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Grey Hunter posted:

and I don't own Pandora.

Well, what better time than now? :colbert:

Back to WitP: if anyone has ever been keen to get into it but didn't want to pay (full) grognard prices, now is the time. I've never made it more than a couple months into the game because of real life taking up my time, but I've had quite a bit of fun with it. It's especially great if you've read Grey's LP.

(Really at this point Gary Grigsby should just be giving Grey Hunter beta copies of his new stuff for all the money he's made in recommendations).

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Drone posted:

(Really at this point Gary Grigsby should just be giving Grey Hunter beta copies of his new stuff for all the money he's made in recommendations).

I thought Matrix already does that.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Grey Hunter posted:

Waaaiiiiitt......

Has anyone else gotten an e-mail from Matrix being incredibly excited about how popular Distant Worlds and Pandora is? It's like they have trouble believing that they managed to produce a worldwide Steam bestseller and are drunk on the heady rush of Steam sales. They're so excited they apparently didn't bother to proof their e-mail.

quote:

Distant Worlds Universe has also released on Steam day and date with the Matrix Games launch. It sky-rocketed to the top three worldwide and staid in the top ten for well over ten days after release, following praises by both media and players.

"Holy CRAP you guys we're actually popular! The mass market actually likes us! Look at all this MONEY!"

I'd have loved to be a fly on the wall in the Matrix offices on that release day.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I thought Matrix already does that.

I think Grey received a free copy of either Crown of Glory or Forge of Freedom from the developers because his LP of one generated buzz for the other.

Drone posted:

Well, what better time than now? :colbert:

Back to WitP: if anyone has ever been keen to get into it but didn't want to pay (full) grognard prices, now is the time. I've never made it more than a couple months into the game because of real life taking up my time, but I've had quite a bit of fun with it. It's especially great if you've read Grey's LP.

Same here as far as only ever being able to play a month or two into the game before I get completely lost and have to restart, but I still don't regret the price. One advantage of the original WITP was 1942, 1943 and even 1944 scenario starts so you can enjoy beating up on the Japanese as the Allies for a change.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Tomn posted:

Has anyone else gotten an e-mail from Matrix being incredibly excited about how popular Distant Worlds and Pandora is? It's like they have trouble believing that they managed to produce a worldwide Steam bestseller and are drunk on the heady rush of Steam sales. They're so excited they apparently didn't bother to proof their e-mail.

"Holy CRAP you guys we're actually popular! The mass market actually likes us! Look at all this MONEY!"

I'd have loved to be a fly on the wall in the Matrix offices on that release day.

I think the guys at Matrix are having to rethink literally their entire stance on how to sell games to make money since their repeated successess on steam pretty much proves everything they've said about pricing in the past was completely incorrect.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Neruz posted:

I think the guys at Matrix are having to rethink literally their entire stance on how to sell games to make money since their repeated successess on steam pretty much proves everything they've said about pricing in the past was completely incorrect.

Man can you even imagine WITP and WITE with Steam workshop and matchmaking integration. It'll be a cold day in Hell before that happens, but maybe just maybe.

EDIT: And Steam-integrated patches and updates! :allears:

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jun 3, 2014

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
All these Steam conveniences are for naught if we don't get decent interfaces and working, not-lovely functionality. I'm looking at you World In Flames...

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think Grey received a free copy of either Crown of Glory or Forge of Freedom from the developers because his LP of one generated buzz for the other.

Crown of Glory, with a nice "you are our greatest fan" letter.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Grey Hunter posted:

Crown of Glory, with a nice "you are our greatest fan" letter.

Did you frame it?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Neruz posted:

Steam Summer sale is coming is coming up, I wonder if they'll have discounts running? If so, the future may truly be here.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Darkrenown posted:

Steam Summer sale is coming is coming up, I wonder if they'll have discounts running? If so, the future may truly be here.

And just when I thought I already owned all the Grog games I wanted :gonk:

I am really interested in some of the John Tiller stuff, minus the godawful ugly UI

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Drone posted:

And just when I thought I already owned all the Grog games I wanted :gonk:

I am really interested in some of the John Tiller stuff, minus the godawful ugly UI

http://mapmod.hist-sdc.com

This guy makes John Tiller's games tolerable.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

gradenko_2000 posted:

http://mapmod.hist-sdc.com

This guy makes John Tiller's games tolerable.

This is the same guy that did the wite mod isn't he? His stuff is fantastic.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Tomn posted:

This is awesome news. Now, if only Slitherine would actually send me my goddamn password reset email so I can claim my free Steam key. Do they actually have some human manually processing their password resets? It has literally been hours since I requested a new password, multiple times.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Neruz posted:

Got my fingers crossed for Strategic Command III on Steam. :dance:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I made a combined map of the initial starting locations of the Solium Infernum PBEM.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I did the same thing. It's actually surprisingly annoying to collage since microsoft ICE really freaks out if you feed it an image that wraps in all directions.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Riso posted:

I made a combined map of the initial starting locations of the Solium Infernum PBEM.

That Place of Power in the south should be replaced by a lake of blood by the time the game is over.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
That map looks so peaceful and not full of murder and betrayal and sudden chasms unlike how it looks at present.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

1stGear posted:

That Place of Power in the south should be replaced by a lake of blood by the time the game is over.

Oh no, the really important one is in the east near the lake. It gives +1 order slots.