Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

flashy_mcflash posted:

Does she even still have the Anti-Diva gimmick anymore? Because if so, she's not doing well at carrying it off despite showing that she can do just that when she debuted on NXT. She still has the leather jacket, heavy rock theme, and the 'screaming at nothing in particular' taunt, but her mannerisms outside of that read as an 'aw shucks' babyface that's more suited to Emma or Bayley.

Whether that's direction from higher up or not, it's all over the place.

It's funny how people that were adored in NXT have come up to the main roster and done nothing of note, or look like goofs. That has to bug Triple H just a little bit.

Also:

Jason Funk posted:

Best part of Payback

Okay I noticed that too. Glad to know I'm not crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Paige's "anti-diva" gimmick doesn't work so well on the main roster because she's actually the most barbie-esque of any the actual top-card divas. Saying that the other divas are "too tan" is...kinda uncomfortable in a feud with Alicia Fox or Tamina.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Paige's "anti-diva" gimmick doesn't work so well on the main roster because she's actually the most barbie-esque of any the actual top-card divas. Saying that the other divas are "too tan" is...kinda uncomfortable in a feud with Alicia Fox or Tamina.

Barbie must have had one hell of a redesign since I was a kid

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

triplexpac posted:

Barbie must have had one hell of a redesign since I was a kid

Paige is the most conventionally attractive of the top-card divas, is what I was getting at. You can't do a "I'm not some HOT BLONDE like THEM" gimmick when you're the only pretty white girl in any of your feuds.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

triplexpac posted:

It's like they expect that the whole WWE audience is familiar with NXT and they will immediately react like the Full Sail crowd.

Which is weird, since they also assume that Raw & Smackdown have different audiences.

She still looks the part of the Anti-Diva, but has thrown away all the mannerisms. It's weird and is a neutering of the gimmick in a way that no one else seems to have experienced. It'd be like calling up Emma without the dancing, or Adam Rose without...uh, the dancing.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Paige is the most conventionally attractive of the top-card divas, is what I was getting at. You can't do a "I'm not some HOT BLONDE like THEM" gimmick when you're the only pretty white girl in any of your feuds.

Summer Rae is probably the most Barbie-like, and even if being blonde isn't a requirement, the Bellas still exist.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

flashy_mcflash posted:

Summer Rae is probably the most Barbie-like, and even if being blonde isn't a requirement, the Bellas still exist.

Neither of them are at the top of the card.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Neither of them are at the top of the card.

What does top of the card even mean in the Divas division? If you mean she's the most Barbie-like diva to currently hold the Divas title, well, you've got me there. Is blonde, blue-eyed Nattie a 'top card diva'?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

The top of the divas card is whoever has the title currently and whoever her challenger is this month.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

flashy_mcflash posted:

What does top of the card even mean in the Divas division? If you mean she's the most Barbie-like diva to currently hold the Divas title, well, you've got me there.

Feuding for the title. Which recently has meant Tamina, Alicia Fox, and AJ Lee.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Feuding for the title. Which recently has meant Tamina, Alicia Fox, and AJ Lee.

I don't know what to tell you if you honestly think Paige is more 'conventionally attractive' than Alicia.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

flashy_mcflash posted:

I don't know what to tell you if you honestly think Paige is more 'conventionally attractive' than Alicia.

I know what to tell him. It's that his genitals are racist.

Jason Funk
Dec 23, 2007

by XyloJW
I think I'm officially over Daniel Bryan. Who's next in line to smarkgasm over? Cesaro? Sami Zayn (or probably just "Zayn" when he gets called up)?

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Stolen from the gifs thread:

This is straight out of River City Ransom and I love it a whole lot.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

armoredgorilla posted:

All it needs is a word bubble of Bray going "Barf!".

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

projecthalaxy posted:

I know what to tell him. It's that his genitals are racist.

It's almost like different people like different things, whoa

Time to make it into a social justice issue!!!!!

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup

Jason Funk posted:

I think I'm officially over Daniel Bryan. Who's next in line to smarkgasm over? Cesaro? Sami Zayn (or probably just "Zayn" when he gets called up)?

I'm not over him, but he's so corny. Maybe I can just ignore him any time he isn't wrestling.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Yuriy posted:

I thought Trish Stratus was more attractive as a blond.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Yuriy posted:

"Conventionally atractive", in the US, means young, white, thin, and blonde. I'm certainly not saying that's the way it should be, but Paige's NXT persona was basically predicated on her being an alternative to the likes of Kelly Kelly, Stacy Keibler, and Michelle McCool, because she's a pale brunette without a bubbly personality. But the mid-2000's crew isn't around any more and Paige's gimmick completely falls apart when she's going up against actual minorities with mean streaks like Tamina and Alicia Fox.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 2, 2014

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Paige covering up her cool top with her cut up rubbish t-shirt was the jumping the shark moment for me. I mean, the divas division isn't going to turn around any time soon but we can confirm the second coming is once again not here. She was already an AJ transplant, complete with guaranteed submission finisher, and now she's dressing like her to flog merch.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Every Diva on the entire roster is conventionally attractive you oddballs.

I mean I get the point that Paige is the most "unusual" out of them but if you saw her walking down the street, even if you didn't think :swoon: (which you might not, it's fine for people to have a type) you'd probably still think "that's a pretty girl."

Anyway. to get off this weird tangent, rewatching the Shield/Evolution match, the not going for pins thing makes a LITTLE more sense when you remember it wasn't falls count anywhere. They still shoulda done more near-falls, though.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Got to watch the PPV with my dad who was in town for the weekend. Interesting to see an outside perspective. He loved the Bray/Cena match as well as the usual suspects.

I loved the booking for the main event. There were a lot of little things that were really cool in it. Like how Roman helped Seth get his pin on Batista and how Seth helped Roman get his pin on HHH. I made the joke at the beginning of the match that Seth just can't help but kick HHH in the face, and by the end of it my dad was agreeing.

I also liked how at the end of the match they helped each other back up. Seth reaching over to Roman and grabbing each other's hands as they pull up, then scraping Ambrose off the mat. Gave a Band of Brother's kind of feel. Then at the conference, Dean was so good at selling the beating and had that funny line to Roman, "That's awesome man. Too bad there's already a t-shirt with it."

PS: After watching him once, Dad is now a bo-liever.

Shard fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jun 2, 2014

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Spikeguy posted:

Got to watch the PPV with my dad who was in town for the weekend. Interesting to see an outside perspective. He loved the Bray/Cena match as well as the usual suspects.

I loved the booking for the main event. There were a lot of little things that were really cool in it. Like how Roman helped Seth get his pin on Batista and how Seth helped Roman get his pin on HHH. I made the joke at the beginning of the match that Seth just can't help but kick HHH in the face, and by the end of it my dad was agreeing.

I also liked how at the end of the match they helped each other back up. Seth reaching over to Roman and grabbing each other's hands as they pull up, then scraping Ambrose off the mat. Gave a Band of Brother's kind of feel. Then at the conference, Dean was so good at selling the beating and had that funny line to Roman, "That's awesome man. Too bad there's already a t-shirt with it."

Basically anything that HHH has his hands on directly turns to wrestling gold.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

keithy george posted:

Paige covering up her cool top with her cut up rubbish t-shirt was the jumping the shark moment for me.

Of all the things, you pick that?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Even with the WWE spoiling me on every single result, I still thought that was a hell of a good show.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Every Diva on the entire roster is conventionally attractive you oddballs.

Tamina Snuka

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Basically anything that HHH has his hands on directly turns to wrestling gold.

Triple H has made everything so bad for so long that when he finally decides to turn it on, he gets himself over.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
I don't know how I feel about Bray/Cena and Shield/Evolution. They both had awesome moments (stair chucking, the Uso table spots, the barricade destruction, Reigns' caning, Ambrose having the best selling in the world, Rollins' tron dive, the rapid fire eliminations), but on the other hand they didn't really seem well connected. I hesitate to call feud enders like those spotfests, but that's how I'm feeling right now. Everyone of the 12 dudes involved has had better matches this year.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

armoredgorilla posted:

TheNetworkOnceAgainPaysForItself.gif

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Astro7x posted:

Of all the things, you pick that?

Of course he does, PSP's irrational knee jerk hatred for talent wearing t-shirts is limitless. Unless they are stone cold or Foley because if you are one of wrestling's diefied then your shilling is exempt from criticism but if you aren't then it literally ruins you.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

armoredgorilla posted:

That's gonna be a high seed next year.

Sir Jebus
Feb 9, 2010

The only hero left for man is weed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8Ut66vLqd4
"I want Batista!"

Jason Funk
Dec 23, 2007

by XyloJW

Sanguinia posted:

Of course he does, PSP's irrational knee jerk hatred for talent wearing t-shirts is limitless. Unless they are stone cold or Foley because if you are one of wrestling's diefied then your shilling is exempt from criticism but if you aren't then it literally ruins you.

You forgot punk

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Sanguinia posted:

Or, you know, you could have read the entire paragraph and see he was talking about the tshirt as a symptom of a larger problem but hey who needs to do that when you can just clip things like we're all Nancy Grace.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

projecthalaxy posted:

Or, you know, you could have read the entire paragraph and see he was talking about the tshirt as a symptom of a larger problem but hey who needs to do that when you can just clip things like we're all Nancy Grace.

Perhaps one should think twice before describing something as jumping the shark if they don't want only that one point discussed. Its a charged term among fandom and its always going to make the rest of your points muted by comparison.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I think in PSP we should use the term "f-5ing the shark"

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

She's hot.

Unless you bring in Chyna or Nicole Bass they generally only hire really attractive women.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
Just assume everyone has the indie mentality of "if I don't sell shirts I don't get paid." Wear your merch you get money

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I hope Cody cuts an "I suck" promo tonight and Bo Dallas comes out to encourage him

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

oldpainless posted:

I think in PSP we should use the term "f-5ing the shark"

No because that was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
people are less likely to buy your poo poo if you don't even wear it

• Locked thread