Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Retail Slave posted:

Please help out a computer idiot.

I'm trying to re-download the terraformer listed in the OP. When I click on the .zip file downloaded from the link, it says "the compressed (zipped) folder blahblahblah is invalid." What do I do to fix it?

Download again or try an alternative to unzip such as 7zip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Just tested; works with Windows Explorer [8.1] and 7-Zip 9.25.

If it doesn't work with 7-Zip*, you may have a corrupted download (or worse, if it repeatedly doesn't work, an edge-cached corrupted download).

* I won't ask you to troubleshoot by installing Windows 8.1 over something like this because :psyduck:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Keetron posted:

Download again or try an alternative to unzip such as 7zip.

Yeah, I tried it like 3 times. 7zip it is.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

I just started playing this again and I forgot about how it can randomly crash on Windows Vista/7/8 :smith:.

Welp. There goes $40,000 worth of improvements.

Anything in specific that causes the game to crash? I was just zoning and looking at my city.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
I'd just like to say that the new OS X SimCity 4 port is fantastic. I haven't ever seen the game run this well, PC or OS X.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

Acer Pilot posted:

I just started playing this again and I forgot about how it can randomly crash on Windows Vista/7/8 :smith:.

Anything in specific that causes the game to crash? I was just zoning and looking at my city.

The one cause of crashing that I discovered which effectively transformed the experience is that mousing over a transit enable lot when trying to place a puzzle piece of any type will CTD. That's right, I said 'mousing over.' Just have a puzzle piece on your cursor, touch a transit enabled lot and you'll quickly be treated to a nice view of your desktop.

It also might just take a poo poo for no discernible reason, but if you learn to avoid the above you'll probably experience a lot fewer crashes.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Acer Pilot posted:

Just save like losing work is going to kill your family, I save after almost everything I do now.

This probably didn't happen to you but a thing I found out recently is that if you switch terrain controllers without removing the controller-planted trees then any action that will destroy the (now invisible) trees will CTD.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Why are you saving by yourself like a chump?

http://www.thehobbykingdom.com/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=3621

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

http://community.simtropolis.com/topic/54082-simcity-4-launcher-updated-140b-r7/

Launcher that allows you to set settings at the same time, also has autosave.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

zxqv8 posted:

The one cause of crashing that I discovered which effectively transformed the experience is that mousing over a transit enable lot when trying to place a puzzle piece of any type will CTD. That's right, I said 'mousing over.' Just have a puzzle piece on your cursor, touch a transit enabled lot and you'll quickly be treated to a nice view of your desktop.

It also might just take a poo poo for no discernible reason, but if you learn to avoid the above you'll probably experience a lot fewer crashes.

I don't know if all transit lots do this, but most certainly any ground level trams stations are crash city, and those two Elevated over street stations.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Set the process' CPU affinity to one core in the task manager. That solved my regular crashing.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So, I've been looking around, but I can't find something I've been looking for. Does anyone know of any shopping malls that anyone's made?
It's seems like that's been a really hard thing to find.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

After years of passing on Sim City 4 at the $20 price tag, I finally picked it up at its GOG debut. NAM seems to be mentioned a lot, but is it recommended for someone who doesn't yet care about adding a slew of buildings or having a scrillion road design options?

Also, I am kind of disappointed that there is no random terrain generation in the base game. So I've been looking for solutions to create my own. Looks like this is the way to go if I want to DIY: http://www.simcitycentral.net/knowledge/simcity4/regional-customization-part-2-grayscale-heightmapping/

But I also see from the OP that the map releases by others require this third party tool to render them. What's the difference between this and simply making my own? Why aren't they distributed in a finished form?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

NAM is not optional; pathfinding is irrecoverably broken without it.

Finished form regions are a dozen times more to download and don't allow the player to define their own city tiles. Hence SC4 Terraformer.

It also has better map import than what's built into SC4 itself.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

That's as direct an answer as I can ask for. Thanks.

Seems like NAM is a necessary unofficial patch, and that the terraformer is of more use if you download other folks' regions.

Is there a guide to making my own regions, based on USGS data or something?

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum

Sir Unimaginative posted:

NAM is not optional; pathfinding is irrecoverably broken without it.

Finished form regions are a dozen times more to download and don't allow the player to define their own city tiles. Hence SC4 Terraformer.

It also has better map import than what's built into SC4 itself.

It would be great if NAMS installer was more thorough at describing what the options do.

I'm slugging through my current region with multiple of my transportation projects vacant because I dont wanna be bothered into learning what the gently caress a RHM is and dealing with puzzlepiece bullshit every other minute.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Yeah, that is what I'm afraid of. As a new player, I just want to build cities, not struggle with a mod that assumes I have been following it from day one.

E: nonsense in my metropolis

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Imapanda posted:

It would be great if NAMS installer was more thorough at describing what the options do.

I'm slugging through my current region with multiple of my transportation projects vacant because I dont wanna be bothered into learning what the gently caress a RHM is and dealing with puzzlepiece bullshit every other minute.

By RHM do you mean RHW (RealHighway)?

RHW is a whole system of more realistic highways, spanning from simple 1 lane in each direction all the way to like 4 or 8 lanes in each direction. It has more features to it than the Maxis highway (MHW), primarily being that it has a decent scale to it (consider that Maxis highways are 3 lanes in each direction yet the same footprint as avenues) and has many more interchange possibilites.

RRW is new but is kinda like RHW for railroads, it changes a bunch of things about the railroads that I don't remember but there should be a PDF file with your NAM installation that goes over it.

NAM Networks options is self-explanatory, mainly adding in new networks like canals. The highlights being Network Widening Mod (let's you have more options for size and options for roads and such like adding turning lanes), Fractionally Angled Networks (adds in support for smooth curves that go beyond the main game so you can have nice long sweeping curves, there's some shortcuts to making these in the game that you'll have to read the manual to find), Maxis Highway Override (called Project Symphony on the forums, it overrides the Maxis highway with a more RHW-like system where you can lay down RHW tracks like you do the normal highways but still lets you have complex interchanges), Street Addon Mod (let's you create streets with different looks to them but are functionally the same).

Everything under stations and transitions are just station and network transition addons for going from one type of transit network to another.

The items in Additional Features and Customizations should be self explanatory too for the most part with the help of hovering over the items in the installer. Hole diggers are just lots you can place in game that will raise or lower terrain on single tiles by a certain amount.

doctorfrog posted:

Yeah, that is what I'm afraid of. As a new player, I just want to build cities, not struggle with a mod that assumes I have been following it from day one.

E: nonsense in my metropolis

If you don't want any of the additional features just don't install them, all you need is the pathfinder, automata (changes how the cars are presented in game to better accommodate the network improvements), and the new network capacities, and maybe roundabouts since those are cool.

With only those items installed there's nothing that will stick out for you, most of it is just making traffic not so much of a pain in the rear end.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah you don't have to gently caress with any of the extra stuff if you don't want. Just having the traffic fixes will improve the game immensely and requires no setup or knowledge. You can dig into the other stuff later if you feel like it.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Thanks. I wasn't aware that it come with choices and whatnot. I'm sure I'll grow into all the stuff that makes it a go-to mod.

Jugderdemidiin
Oct 6, 2013

ExplodingSims posted:

So, I've been looking around, but I can't find something I've been looking for. Does anyone know of any shopping malls that anyone's made?
It's seems like that's been a really hard thing to find.

There are a few floating around, but this is by far the best one ever made by someone.

http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/19711-riverrock-shopping-centre/

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Jugderdemidiin posted:

There are a few floating around, but this is by far the best one ever made by someone.

Hell yes, no installers! Did they finally abandon that horror?

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Keetron posted:

Hell yes, no installers! Did they finally abandon that horror?
I think that's a Devotion thing, I haven't come across many installers on Simtropolis.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Jugderdemidiin posted:

Yeah that one's really good looking. Here's another nice mall lot, but with 13,000+ jobs: http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=2570

*PUNCH* posted:

The screenshots in here have got me playing again as well! Anyone mind if I add a few to the OP?

You can use whatever screenshots I post, if you want.

Baby Cakes posted:

Any you've added that you would recommend? Since the Mac version is out a buddy of mine is going to start playing so I'm going to get the itch to build another region.

Definitely get NAM and road top transit stops. I like making my cities kind of realistic, so I downloaded a ton of wall to wall buildings (as in the walls are at the edge of the tile...rowhouses, office buildings, tenements, etc) which make medium and high density areas look better, as well as warehouses and large factories to make industrial areas look better. If you download port stuff be careful with it, because building multiple working seaports of different types will cause the city to crash upon loading, with no fix. There's a ton of cool stuff to download, just look around (and have fun finding 5 billion dependencies :suicide:).

Grand Fromage posted:

Nice job with the projects, I've always had trouble getting a mass of them to grow like that.

It took a long time for some of them to grow. I also didn't zone for them until the city was already huge and had a poo poo ton of jobs, which probably helps.

M.Ciaster posted:

Goddamn, man. How long'd it take you to make this? Every time I see an amazing SC4 city I feel like coming back to the game, but then I just kinda lose my drive after a few hours and end up uninstalling it.

Maybe a year? A couple hundred hours of gameplay I'd guess.

Stalins Moustache posted:

That city looks great! :D
Any way you could upload that mod pack?

Thanks! And I don't know about uploading it...is there is anywhere I can upload 4.5 GB for free? If so, I'll do it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Jugderdemidiin posted:

:sbahj: drat that's a nice mall.

I'm having a new crashing problem. It's not solved by saving. Because it crashes when I save. Fortunately it seems to just revert to the previous save, but seeing as it's pretty much even odds whether a save will work or crash, it's kind of a huge pain.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Rah! posted:

Thanks! And I don't know about uploading it...is there is anywhere I can upload 4.5 GB for free? If so, I'll do it.

Try Mega from that Kim Dotcom guy, I have actually seen it working as advertised.

Also I would like to see your folder and do a file compare to make the one I have now even bigger.

roadtop bus, tram and metro stops are a must for every city. It just never made sense to have a chunk of valuable inner city occupied by a bus stop.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

So after grabbing this off of Gog.com, I'm interesting in making a profitable and amazing region. As someone whose Simcity experience comes from 2000, what's the best way to make profitable yet pretty cities? Also, what's the best way to take advantage of region play, that's kinda confusing me at the moment, there's a huge different in building one city in a vacuum like in previous games vs managing multiple cities. Are grids still viable?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Starhawk64 posted:

So after grabbing this off of Gog.com, I'm interesting in making a profitable and amazing region. As someone whose Simcity experience comes from 2000, what's the best way to make profitable yet pretty cities? Also, what's the best way to take advantage of region play, that's kinda confusing me at the moment, there's a huge different in building one city in a vacuum like in previous games vs managing multiple cities. Are grids still viable?

You really can't make truly big cities in SC4 without playing as a region, you will need developed neighbor cities to grow.

The basic formula for making a working city is still the same, expand quickly but keep civic services at a low level until you're big enough to afford them. (E.g. don't build schools until you have a population to fill them.)

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Starhawk64 posted:

If you want profit, just go straight for high tech industry.

Crank service budgets down to the minimum (check hospitals and clinics and turn down the slider so that it can take care of just enough patients, same for schools, check every so often and turn them up as required), that will save you a shitton of money. To get high tech industry, just build all of the educational services and trim their budgets, also build hospitals, police and fire departments, add some parks to your residential area and crank dirty/manufacturing industry tax up to the maximum. Wait a while (do some missions for money if you need it) and your citizens should become educated enough to make high tech industry pop up.

Place commercial areas along high traffic roads (usually the commute roads between your res and ind) and they should grow profitable offices and stuff.

Most people who start out and want it easy make the mistake of building few services and going for lots of dirty industry, but high tech is actually easier and more profitable.

Connecting cities in the region will make them grow a lot more. The easiest way to play is to start out in one city, stop as soon as growth stagnates or your budget becomes a problem, grow an adjacent city and connect them, and revisit your previous city to see growth pick up again.

Grids are viable but boring. Build arterial highways and avenues! This is mostly an aesthetic game, the challenge will disappear pretty soon.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 2, 2014

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Shibawanko posted:

Crank service budgets down to the minimum

This is the big one. You can do pretty much whatever and make money so long as you're not paying for a dozen teachers to educate the 25 elementary school age kids in your town. Where you go from there is largely a stylistic choice.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Shibawanko posted:

If you want profit, just go straight for high tech industry.

Crank service budgets down to the minimum (check hospitals and clinics and turn down the slider so that it can take care of just enough patients, same for schools, check every so often and turn them up as required), that will save you a shitton of money. To get high tech industry, just build all of the educational services and trim their budgets, also build hospitals, police and fire departments, add some parks to your residential area and crank dirty/manufacturing industry tax up to the maximum. Wait a while (do some missions for money if you need it) and your citizens should become educated enough to make high tech industry pop up.

Place commercial areas along high traffic roads (usually the commute roads between your res and ind) and they should grow profitable offices and stuff.

Most people who start out and want it easy make the mistake of building few services and going for lots of dirty industry, but high tech is actually easier and more profitable.

Connecting cities in the region will make them grow a lot more. The easiest way to play is to start out in one city, stop as soon as growth stagnates or your budget becomes a problem, grow an adjacent city and connect them, and revisit your previous city to see growth pick up again.

Grids are viable but boring. Build arterial highways and avenues! This is mostly an aesthetic game, the challenge will disappear pretty soon.

Manufacturing is actually pretty compatible with high-tech and mid-level res/commercial (I-M does pollute but it's a couple orders of magnitude less than I-D; nothing anyone but CS-$$$ and R-$$$ will turn their noses up to). You can't get away with much industry of any kind in a CBD, but if you get the land value up you can get away with super mixed zoning with minimal parkland/wilderness/other greenspace.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I played this about a year ago and it was quite fun. Came across this thread and the LP, reinstalled, and holy poo poo 10 minutes to load from launch to a city. I've done everything I can find on google, and nope. Then I installed Fromage's stuff and hooooly poo poo I need a NSA mainframe to run this.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Vorenus posted:

I played this about a year ago and it was quite fun. Came across this thread and the LP, reinstalled, and holy poo poo 10 minutes to load from launch to a city. I've done everything I can find on google, and nope. Then I installed Fromage's stuff and hooooly poo poo I need a NSA mainframe to run this.

You can create a .dat package to speed up the loading or only use NAM as addons and a few select ones you hand picked?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Okay, so I'm finally getting around to building my own airport, and was wondering, has anyone made any diagonal runways? I've looked around a bit, but so far all I found was one abandoned project that had them planned.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Sometimes my Deals with Neighbors stop working. I send trash to another city so i don't have to make a stinkin trash incinerator in every city but out of the blue everything went to poo poo. Moneyscreen says no deals possible... What gives? This happened before in another region but i started over on Phuzo /w plugins.

Only have NAM installed. :)

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
It's possible that the city you're unloading your trash on ran out of capacity.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

D34THROW posted:

It's possible that the city you're unloading your trash on ran out of capacity.

The Processing Plant was fine at 99% but replaced it anyway. Played around with the sliders for it and such but the problem is Neighboring Deals just giving up. Cities stopped acknowledging the others exist for some reason.

It really feels like it just got bugged out or something, i can't imagine it's something silly like trash-trucks getting stuck in traffic at the bridge between towns... That's more of a SC5 thing, right??

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I noticed I bought Simcity 4 on Steam at some point and it works on my Mac, which is good because I'm going to be spending some time in the back of a car. How well does Simcity 4 run on a Macbook Air? I know it's a game from 2003 but you never know with Intel integrated graphics. Can I use the big old mod pack with the Mac version?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

I noticed I bought Simcity 4 on Steam at some point and it works on my Mac, which is good because I'm going to be spending some time in the back of a car. How well does Simcity 4 run on a Macbook Air? I know it's a game from 2003 but you never know with Intel integrated graphics. Can I use the big old mod pack with the Mac version?

The more mods, the more CPU power you need especially in displaying whatever is on the screen and calculating pathing. If we assume that you have a power connection in the car, it should run fine if you keep the amount of mods down.

But seeing modding is part of the fun, just do whatever you like and don't zoom in/out to much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I will have a power connection and it seems to work perfectly fine on my MBA. :toot:

• Locked thread