Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

WuChou posted:

Strange things happen at the 1-2 point.

There were chains of 5-6 stones on the second line (Near the 1-1) that looked like they couldn't be killed in those problems until I looked at the one two point. Then interesting things happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
i got a board.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
Nice.

Also I didn't know Dover published Lasker's book.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

That's a way better board + bowl than I have. :smith:

Symbolic Butt posted:

Nice.

Also I didn't know Dover published Lasker's book.

Let's game.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i had lots of amazon gift cards piled up

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

uranus posted:

Comparison:

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
I have the most ghetto board:

Hella sweet mesh boxes though.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Xom posted:

I have the most ghetto board:

Hella sweet mesh boxes though.

I must know what's up with the chess pieces and picture colour.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
It's cropped from a photo of a university games club's club fair display.

Xom fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 22, 2014

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Very close game against Xombar and I cocked it up. :argh:

e: We should be able to view each other's private games if they're in the private room we have acess to. http://eidogo.com/#2wK3JMaWd

AdorableStar fucked around with this message at 05:31 on May 22, 2014

IMlemon
Dec 29, 2008
Go board chat.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

So ElyGo is this android app that actually works on my 1st gen kindle fire. It connects to IGS. Is IGS okay? Awful? It's got an AI and a bunch of tsumego, so it's worth the free amazon coins I've been getting, but I'm just wondering if IGS is worth playing on.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

silvergoose posted:

So ElyGo is this android app that actually works on my 1st gen kindle fire. It connects to IGS. Is IGS okay? Awful? It's got an AI and a bunch of tsumego, so it's worth the free amazon coins I've been getting, but I'm just wondering if IGS is worth playing on.

I think IGS, Tygem, and KGS are the three main servers you can play on; I've never done IGS but I think it's the most popular Japanese one.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I don't get the difference in these two problems:

After this black hane, it was all eye falsification no matter what white did. I can't tell why that liberty makes a difference.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
Maybe I'm looking at this wrong, but if white plays B19 in response to F19, doesnt it live?

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Senor P. posted:

Maybe I'm looking at this wrong, but if white plays B19 in response to F19, doesnt it live?

No because you have e19 and you can poke out the eyes. Black can play c18 and if white captures the two stones he can play f19 again.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

To illustrate, here are the two main variations I see if white does this. The point being that you can let two stones be captured and still poke out the eye. Three stones being captured guarantees an eye, though.

And yes, I realise I forgot to place d17 in these diagrams. Just imagine that there's a black stone at d17.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Review of a game I just played with oiseaux. I played carelessly most of the game and he put up surprisingly strong resistance... he failed to punish me as severely as possible on multiple occasions, though, which kept the game close. Then I made things complicated at the end and he imploded. It's so complicated though that I'm not sure of what the optimal result is. I think if he plays exactly the right thing at every move, I die without compensation and probably go into the endgame at a small deficit... but it took a lot of analysis to find what I think is the best line and I'm still not 100% sure.

http://eidogo.com/#3OJp3O4xW

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Man that is an excellent review. I have been studying it this afternoon over coffee. I'm rated 4k on KGS (rather than the 8k on OGS) which is perhaps why the discrepancy between rating and performance was so large. And yes, I mainly just play lots and rarely study which has diminishing returns at SDK and above. I also feel that correspondence games help to even things out between wide gaps in rank by a stone or two, for reasons I can't tell. Anyhoo, some of my own thoughts

Move 11: Had the cut been made, I think the game would have collapsed very quickly so thank you for being patient :)

Move 19: Not sure what the rationale here is, in hindsight it was bad so again lucky to end up with the following result

Move 31: Playing at E13 looks like a mature move in terms of dispelling white's outer influence, but I thought that C13 at least served two purposes to secure things and radiate influence towards the corner.

Move 45: I basically didn't play this because I wanted to avoid the ko. On playing through, I see I would have got the same basic result even if I'd have lost it so need to read thangs out mo.

Move 51: Black looking superoverconcentrated. This is one of the things I love about playing Dans, they turn your shapes into amorphous blobs and walk away with sente.

Move 53: H18 would have been sufficient, I think.

Move 58: Didn't consider the aji of the marked stones, again, a knights move was maybe wiser BUT it was fun! Like xopods says, it would be better to just reduce and walk away in sente if possible rather than this malarkey but I could start to (from my perspective) feel the game really slipping away from me so I thought at least give my opponent something to think about :)

Move 76: C17 is one of those bullshit moves where you don't pause to think how it's going to look at endgame. B18 would be a better way to secure, even C18 has some dodginess.

Move 101: This was stupid, because I thought the connection underneath threatened to keep the corner alive, when I could have still taken a decent chunk of it away to secure my group.

Move 115: I thought the monkey jump was worth more than 3 points, but I hadn't realised you were able to produce so much center territory so quickly afterwards!

Move 117: No K12 because urrrgggg oiseaux greedy

That ko at the end really cooked my bacon, but it's an ever present reminder to consider secure, firm shapes lest they come back to haunt you. Thanks for the game :)

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

o.m. 94 posted:

That ko at the end really cooked my bacon, but it's an ever present reminder to consider secure, firm shapes lest they come back to haunt you. Thanks for the game :)

I think a big difference between intermediate and stronger players is that intermediate players are more comfortable playing a position where it looks like they're ahead, even if they've got weaknesses, whereas advanced players are very concerned with aji and not so uncomfortable playing while behind in visible territory if they've got their hands free.

The key is in having positional judgment. If you're not confident in your ability to appraise the position at the beginning of the endgame, there's a big risk of coming up a few points short. There's nothing worse than passing up a good fight because you thought you were winning, and then end up losing by 3.5 instead. But if you trust your ability to estimate the score, then when it comes time to make your last middlegame push, you know just how crazy or not crazy you need to go in order to have the win.

Faced with something like your top side position in this game, it's really not clear for most of the game whether invasion or reduction is going to be better... but it's also not going to be good for you to add another move to shore up, given how many you've spent already. So I was able to leave it until very late and then say "yeah, I'd rather gamble a little now and give my opponent a tough puzzle to solve rather than just poke gently around the outside and reduce him a little in sente." Whereas if I'd had 5 or 10 points more territory, I wouldn't have risked it.

quote:

I also feel that correspondence games help to even things out between wide gaps in rank by a stone or two, for reasons I can't tell.

That's an easy one... the weaker player is going to take his time and use the analysis tools to help him read stuff out, and the stronger one is going to play like it's a fast game on KGS until he's actually in trouble. Even between equal opponents, the scores tend to be closer when there's no time pressure, as whoever's leading is going to tend to play a little faster and whoever's trailing is more motivated to play out variations and find the move that's going to help them catch up.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I think I ate my first two day ban.

e: Not two days!

AdorableStar fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 27, 2014

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Hey Xopods, are you ever going to do your ITGO class lectures again?

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

AdorableStar posted:

Hey Xopods, are you ever going to do your ITGO class lectures again?

Not in the near future, at least. Kind of overwhelmed with life, work and parenthood at the moment.

brakanjan
May 26, 2014

uranus posted:

Hi could you send a link I would like to get one for a friend that one looks good. I made my own and pieces out of earthenware clay with odd shape pieces to make your armies look slightly distorted.

Also does anyone know any other site than KGS that is worth playing on. I am a casual player and played on KGS a few years ago and I remember it being quite ruthless to find matches against better players due to the ranking system. If you start at 30 most people did not want to play with you.

brakanjan fucked around with this message at 14:32 on May 30, 2014

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

brakanjan posted:

Also does anyone know any other site than KGS that is worth playing on. I am a casual player and played on KGS a few years ago and I remember it being quite ruthless to find matches against better players due to the ranking system. If you start at 30 most people did not want to play with you.

you can start with a proposed rank up to about 10k or so i think and it'll work out what ranking you are pretty quickly.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

My suggestion was just to play bots until you get a stable rank and then begin to automatch your way up. Or down. There's quite a few 12-7k bots if you're at that level.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

brakanjan posted:

Hi could you send a link I would like to get one for a friend that one looks good. I made my own and pieces out of earthenware clay with odd shape pieces to make your armies look slightly distorted.

This is the board i got: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0054LX1HY/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and these stones: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001FHSAGI/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

these bowls: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0029LWGBY/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I play on IGS cause they have correspondence games and i have a hard time lately playing for long without being interrupted.

brakanjan
May 26, 2014

uranus posted:

This is the board i got: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0054LX1HY/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and these stones: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001FHSAGI/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

these bowls: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0029LWGBY/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I play on IGS cause they have correspondence games and i have a hard time lately playing for long without being interrupted.

awesome thanks thats a pretty good deal

AdorableStar posted:

My suggestion was just to play bots until you get a stable rank and then begin to automatch your way up. Or down. There's quite a few 12-7k bots if you're at that level.

Yeah that is what I ended up doing but not so much fun for game review.

pointsofdata posted:

you can start with a proposed rank up to about 10k or so i think and it'll work out what ranking you are pretty quickly.

You can? I will look into it again.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Black to play:

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

IMlemon posted:

Go board chat.

uranus posted:

i got a board.

How much did you two spend on your boards and your neato looking bowls? Do you have any problems with those solid thick boards? Are there any specific good sites I could buy a nice board and not be totally ripped off?

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Another KGS tip.

Nothing happens if you type a username into the Buddy List window's "Add:" field and press enter. What does work is then tabbing to the "Notes:" field and pressing enter.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

AdorableStar posted:

Black to play:

Is black looking to kill that group or contain white's influence in that corner?

shin42k
Feb 16, 2014

areyoucontagious posted:

Is black looking to kill that group or contain white's influence in that corner?

Black's looking to kill if I remember correctly.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

shin42k posted:

Black's looking to kill if I remember correctly.

Then isn't this one pretty straightforward? I really feel like I'm missing something, because I don't see how white could possibly live in that situation. I mean B plays B3 or C2 and white is trapped, right?

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

areyoucontagious posted:

Then isn't this one pretty straightforward? I really feel like I'm missing something, because I don't see how white could possibly live in that situation. I mean B plays B3 or C2 and white is trapped, right?

No. B5 and E2 are miai for White to escape.

I can't read everything out, but it seems like the kind of problem where the answer will end up being E5 for reasons of symmetry.

Of course, sometimes they trick you and the answer is in fact just to block at C2 or B3.

IMlemon
Dec 29, 2008

tentative8e8op posted:

How much did you two spend on your boards and your neato looking bowls? Do you have any problems with those solid thick boards? Are there any specific good sites I could buy a nice board and not be totally ripped off?

I'd buy from gogameguru. They have very fast shipping and David Ormerod (owner of the site) is very helpful with any questions or problems you have.

Board http://shop.gogameguru.com/shin-kaya-go-board-24-c/
Bowls are made from bamboo.
Stones - http://shop.gogameguru.com/glass-go-stones-36-biconvex/

Wood is way softer than I thought it would be. Surface tends to acquire dents quite quickly but I really don't care about it at all. It also weighs 7kg so you won't be carrying this around anywhere. Also if you're going to spend a decent chunk of money on the board don't neglect the stones. I really like the ones I linked above, and while I'm not sure why bunch of glass costs 50$, they are somehow way better looking, sturdier and bigger than yunzi stones I had before. http://shop.gogameguru.com/pro-go-game-set/ I'd probably buy this if I needed a new go set.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

xopods posted:

I can't read everything out, but it seems like the kind of problem where the answer will end up being E5 for reasons of symmetry.

The Xuanxuan Qijing is an interesting book.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I will now be able to buy another Go book soon. It is either going to be Kageyama's fundamentals or Yang Yilun's. Wasuji reccomends Yang Yilun's fundamentals. Besides that, I'm not quite sure how I should actually be studying go. I'm playing games occasionally (Maybe like 1-2 every other day and some days with 5+), reading a chapter out of one of my books, doing intermediate L&D, get strong at tesuji + invading, and watching videos.

Besides that, I'm trying to go over the patterns in enclosure josekis by Masaki Takemiya and playing through pro games to try and get a feel for how strong players play. I can't really look at them in detail because I'm a weak sdk. I guess the last two things relate to studying joseki themselves. How DO I go about looking at the variations in this book as well as learning joseki in general?

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

If you're only playing 1-2 games every other day, your time will be better spent playing more and reviewing your games rather than reading books or studying pro games.

This is true for all things, not just Go. Doing things is how one gets better at them. Reading about things might help you get past a block, or inspire you to try something you might not have otherwise, but it's not going to make you stronger on its own.

If you're playing, say, 15+ hours per week, then throwing some study into the mix makes sense. Anything less than that, you should just be playing more Go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

xopods posted:

If you're only playing 1-2 games every other day, your time will be better spent playing more and reviewing your games rather than reading books or studying pro games.

This is true for all things, not just Go. Doing things is how one gets better at them. Reading about things might help you get past a block, or inspire you to try something you might not have otherwise, but it's not going to make you stronger on its own.

If you're playing, say, 15+ hours per week, then throwing some study into the mix makes sense. Anything less than that, you should just be playing more Go.

I counted the times of all the 19x19 games I played this week (And by that I mean since last Wedsnday.) I have approxamately 4 and a half hours spent playing over 26 games (I don't spend enough time per move). Maybe that's not enough, but it's not just my interest to play play play all the time and do nothing else - that's not what I like to do particularly.

e: Yeah, when I said 1-2 every other day, I was referring to rated games and not anything. Free, against a ddk, ASR league, etc.

AdorableStar fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 4, 2014