Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gropes
Mar 21, 2011

It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool.

GrahamBLY posted:

Volume is how you get paid.

I've done both extreme ends of the 'volume - craft cocktail' spectrum, and it's actually ruined going to nice cocktail places for me, I hate it that much. I hate the pretentiousness of the "foodies", I hate the smugness of the "mixologists", and I hate the endless bar lines. You know what I've grown to love? Pouring 2 goose&pineapple with 2 henny&redbull into plastic cups, charging $50 for the round for the hundredth times while I'm blinded by strobe lights and getting blasted endlessly by the same ten songs. If I'm gonna give up my saturday nights/sunday mornings, I'm going to do it for a pile of filthy money.

I always thought I'd want to get out of the club game, and since I'm on the wrong side of 30 I'm a dinosaur in this industry, but if you're gonna get behind the wood don't you want as much money as possible? I've been lured away a few times by the promise of a better life and a steady salary to run some hoity-toity golf course or fine dining, but that all ends up the same: managing a bunch of useless fucks who probably make more money than you and standing around listening to the senior partners yammer on while you polish a tin and wish you were back in the weeds.

The biggest problem I've ever had at the club is some guy reaching across to grab a bottle or a girltender, and we have people to break their arms for that so all I do is push the button and point. People complain about a drink price after they waited ten minutes for it? Do you want it or not buddy, cause the guy behind you will be thrilled to buy it.

I can't listen to one more guy wearing a scarf indoors try to debate me about hybrid strains of juniper berries and what size I should be hand-shaving my ice into. I don't know how those guys (you guys?) do it, but the nicest 2 places around here are staffed by people who do it for the "status" because they are making less than my barback. I guess it's just different worlds and your own personal tolerance equation of x bullshit for y dollars, but buddy you're wearing a loving cummerbund to work.

Off my hipster tangent, the thing that will gently caress you up faster than anything in a club gig is the combination of young girls and coke. Get your head on straight because you'll end up in jail faster than you ever thought possible, I've seen it happen to total strangers and a guy I've known all my life, it happens amazingly fast.

I love real bars and real bartenders, I get along fine with most fake bartenders unless I have to work with them. I hate management and customers, but hey who doesn't? I wish I could go back in time 6ish years ago before we got hit with this prohibition renaissance because that was pretty fun and novel at the time. You guys know where I stand, maybe someone who feels equally as strongly and has tons of passion for their craft cocktail scene can make a rebuttal? We just need to find an old timer from a hotel bar to moderate the debate!

I work at a craft cocktail bar and one of the most rewarding things about it is coming up with a dink for someone on the spot that you've never made and seeing them light up once they taste it because it's essentially "their" drink. It can be a lot of fun and good money of you're in the right place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Volume can be great and fun, but after eight years bartending full time, 13 in the service industry, I am deaf and my body is broken. I like seeing daylight. I don't walk with $700-800 in a night like I used to before the economy tanked. I like taking more pride in what I make with my hands more than "here's some blue poo poo in a cup" (blue poo poo in a plastic cup has paid my bills many times over) so I've studied the history of wine and spirits and have various industry certifications in it, as well as a nearly complete degree in Enology. I have fun competing in some competitions, attending seminars here and abroad. I am actually one of the least snobby bartenders in the Bay (because my job involves putting booze in people's mouthholes for a living and making sure they have a good time, not curing cancer) and I berate my friends who call themselves "mixologists" constantly because it's loving stupid. I participate/donate my time and organize charity events with my various industry/cocktail enthusiast groups because in the grand scheme of important things the world, my job is meaningless. I do appreciate a good drink, I do appreciate the use of innovative, food-based ingredients and science because it's loving interesting. I hate "mixology bars" run like kitchens (Aviary, my former place of employment in the Bay Area, a few others) because it takes the focus from the best part of the bar (hospitality, interaction with a good bartender) to the worst (fussy, gimmicky cocktails.) I appreciate the skill involved but it's meh overall.

So yep, it's me, I'm the rear end in a top hat snob because I brought up the anthropology of drinks in a thread about drinks and bartending. Carry on with the 50bajillionth argument about the "manliest thing to order at a bar" and how hipsters ruined your favorite cheap beer.

I can't even compete in the highball competition because I don't have any balls :/

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
If you make great money in a club then yeehaw but there are a lot of clubs out there with bad customers, cheap people, people interested only in dancing and drugs (which puts no money in the bartender's pocket), horrid management, etc. Also they don't hire olds so if you're 30+ and still in a club the reaper approacheth.

All I ever wanted was a job where I came in at 4 to prep then had a wave of after work union guys stay until about 10 every night where I could hear myself talk and my boss didn't have opinion one about my side of the stick. Tap beer, bloody marys, cocktails for the wives -- a round of drinks is a dozen drinks and a dozen shots.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It sounds like a lot of the complaints about cocktail bars has to do with lovely, insufferable customers. Incidentally, this is also the reason why I don't like a lot of cocktail bars as a customer. Typically, I prefer a restaurant that prides itself on really good cocktails, because it's a nicer environment. Also, I don't want to follow my $15-20, carefully-crafted cocktail with anything less than an equally excellent meal.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Cocktail bars attract a certain brand of hipper than thou, stump the bartender, let's do shots of Malort because please recognize me as a fellow traveler kind of dick, on both sides of the stick. This is why I'm trying to branch into restaurants and hotels, because I never want to be asked if I have chartreuse again. It's on the backbar and now you're doing shots of tequila and chartreuse because I am tired of your poo poo and penitent about having been that guy.

Hospitality, people. We do this because we like people and hate desks. Forget that, and let your right hand forget it's quickness.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Gropes posted:

I work at a craft cocktail bar and one of the most rewarding things about it is coming up with a dink for someone on the spot that you've never made and seeing them light up once they taste it because it's essentially "their" drink. It can be a lot of fun and good money of you're in the right place.

I see people light up after tasting a Rum Runner, I don't really see your point there.

If I REALLY want to see them light up I pour the floater down the straw :v:

Shooting Blanks posted:

This conversation firmly reminds me why I always enjoyed working really high volume as opposed to cocktails. I'm probably in the minority here on that one, though.

Probably not. High volume is where the money is, not saying there's anything wrong with craft, but when you're talking tip percentages I'd rather have more sales.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jun 4, 2014

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
You know, reading this thread every so often reminds me why bartenders seem to like me wherever I go. Even when I'm in a weird drink sort of mood, I just order a drat cocktail in as few words as possible and tip 2-3 dollars in cash on the spot, even if I'm paying the house with a card. It's such a simple line, it stuns me that there are so many people that gently caress it up so spectacularly.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Coolguye posted:

You know, reading this thread every so often reminds me why bartenders seem to like me wherever I go. Even when I'm in a weird drink sort of mood, I just order a drat cocktail in as few words as possible and tip 2-3 dollars in cash on the spot, even if I'm paying the house with a card. It's such a simple line, it stuns me that there are so many people that gently caress it up so spectacularly.

Welcome at my bar anytime.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

Coolguye posted:

Common sense isn't.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
And believe me, I love learning new drinks and shooting the poo poo with patrons, but that is a drat fine way to put someone in the mood to do so.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
Apparently there have been a couple of restaurants in the States that are doing away with tipping, but the first of its kind just opened up here in Canada Land.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1325943/b-c-restaurant-plans-to-ax-tips-pay-employees-a-living-wage/

1) What're people's thoughts on this? Is this going to be a growing trend?
2) nrr or I think JawNee, either of you scoped this place out or are planning to?

I personally see this as way too much pie in the sky and that this place is gonna crash and burn because it's too pricey. Haven't been, though, and don't know anything about it.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Perdido posted:

Apparently there have been a couple of restaurants in the States that are doing away with tipping, but the first of its kind just opened up here in Canada Land.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1325943/b-c-restaurant-plans-to-ax-tips-pay-employees-a-living-wage/

1) What're people's thoughts on this? Is this going to be a growing trend?
2) nrr or I think JawNee, either of you scoped this place out or are planning to?

I personally see this as way too much pie in the sky and that this place is gonna crash and burn because it's too pricey. Haven't been, though, and don't know anything about it.

Taking a closer look at where it is, that's a restaurant on a private resort north of loving Nanaimo. I would suspect they already had a no tipping policy and paid their servers/bartenders higher wages than the norm as a lot of private clubs around here do (I worked for one 5+ years ago and got paid 15 bucks to be there). As for what I think of it generally: no thanks. I made more bartending and I'm still making more doing breakfast service. Maybe Nrr has seen it as I think he's up in Whistler, and Horseshoe bay has a ferry to Nanaimo, but I haven't been out there.

From what I saw when I was working in a no-tipping club it just attracts lousy, or lazy, or low-experience staff (or staff who are too timid to try and make it elsewhere and like the security that the higher-than-minimum wages offer). That being said, $20-24 an hour is not a bad wage, particularly for those with less than the amount of experience necessary to get a gig going in the city proper (outside of a poo poo location).

I'm never going back to shirt-and-tie service though, no drat way.

e: as for whether it will catch on, not in your run of the mill restaurant no, not without minimum wages going waaaaay up. Fancy places like resort restaurants and private clubs can afford to dump money in wages and take that pressure off've their guests, all part of attracting customers to the overall package I guess.

JawKnee fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jun 5, 2014

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

JawKnee posted:

e: as for whether it will catch on, not in your run of the mill restaurant no, not without minimum wages going waaaaay up. Fancy places like resort restaurants and private clubs can afford to dump money in wages and take that pressure off've their guests, all part of attracting customers to the overall package I guess.

The rest of the world has found a solution: raise prices. Everything seemed a little more expensive than I expected in Spain... until I remembered that there's not a hidden 20% that I'm going to have to end up paying (also, VAT is included in the menu price!). Contrary to popular belief, service was actually better, on average, than I've seen in North America. And there were a few occasions where I received superb service and left a tip in recognition -- it made a way bigger impression. All in all, I think if you could convince everyone to jump at the same time, it'd be better to eliminate "mandatory" tipping.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

PT6A posted:

The rest of the world has found a solution: raise prices. Everything seemed a little more expensive than I expected in Spain... until I remembered that there's not a hidden 20% that I'm going to have to end up paying (also, VAT is included in the menu price!). Contrary to popular belief, service was actually better, on average, than I've seen in North America. And there were a few occasions where I received superb service and left a tip in recognition -- it made a way bigger impression. All in all, I think if you could convince everyone to jump at the same time, it'd be better to eliminate "mandatory" tipping.

The average wages for servers/bartenders in Spain appears to range from 1300-1400 EUR which is about $1800 - $2000/month up here. $500/week is good but not great (I still make more than that right now depending on how many days I work). It looks like it's around the same as those servers up at the Pacific Shore restaurant are going to be making if they only work 3-4 days a week, 6 hours/shift.

And I don't agree that raising prices will result in higher wages (which is what I think you're saying?) given that we (servers/bartenders) are already paid below minimum in this province, and that restaurants fight tooth and nail to keep it that way.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
There are some union Bartending jobs in the states, specifically in hotels and similar venues; does anybody have any experience with those? I'm interested in the cultures specifically where instituting a viable wage against the tipping norm affects service. EU countries generally have similar wage laws in cafés or auto shops as they do in bars. It's the US in particular where there exists a two tired system between minimum wage and union work.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

JawKnee posted:

The average wages for servers/bartenders in Spain appears to range from 1300-1400 EUR which is about $1800 - $2000/month up here. $500/week is good but not great (I still make more than that right now depending on how many days I work). It looks like it's around the same as those servers up at the Pacific Shore restaurant are going to be making if they only work 3-4 days a week, 6 hours/shift.

And I don't agree that raising prices will result in higher wages (which is what I think you're saying?) given that we (servers/bartenders) are already paid below minimum in this province, and that restaurants fight tooth and nail to keep it that way.

Of course the laws regarding minimum wage would have to change before this is possible, and the restaurant/bar industry would have to change significantly to allow it to work in North America on a large scale. It's a nice thought, though, if it were possible to do right in North America. As it stands, I don't think it would lead to higher wages by any means; however, if we could enforce higher wages and higher menu prices as part of some sort of Grand Transition, I think it would end up being pretty good.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
You guys are fools if you think getting rid of tipping culture would be better for you. What exactly are you rooting for, an excuse for management to raise prices and then what happens -- they pass all those increases directly to you? Bullshit they would. You're just asking for more middlemen.

If tipping culture didn't exist in NA bartenders and servers here would make slightly less than what retail people make. Unless they unionized, of course, but we all know that business is too strong and your average blue collar worker too weak for unions to make it back into most workplaces.

Any business that is advertising "no tips, we pay more" is really just saying "our prices are higher and we're keeping a thick slice of that increase, thanks suckers."

Furthermore, the direct interaction between customers and service staff which is underwritten by direct payments between the two is, in my opinion, a CRUCIAL part of service industry culture in America. Someone said that overall the service was better in Spain (which, from every person I knew who went to Spain or lived in Spain or is from Spain is hilariously inaccurate, but whatever, I'll let it stand) but do you honestly think it'd be better in America or do you think it's more likely that when you walk into a family restaurant you'd come to expect the same level of service you get now at a family business? Furthermore, this is the bartending thread. Servers maybe you'd not notice a huge difference but imagine if all your barmen were don't give a poo poo Poles or half-care half-there Aussies like is the case in the UK?

Don't ask for middlemen between you and your money. No one works for free.

:akbar:

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

I would like to jump in on this conversation in a number of different ways but am currently too drunk to do so, so I'm only gonna half rear end-edly do it.

Tipping is great and makes us all bank. In Australia before I left though (almost 10 years ago now,) I made $19/hr on weekdays, $24/hr on Saturdays and $29/hr on Sundays. That means I had to work Fri/Sat nights and Sun day shifts to make $800-$1000 (including some tips, paid weekly, ~$100) which would be the equivalent of working a full time week. That's a pretty good wage.

But in Canada, I've walked with $400 a night alone in tips on a really good Saturday night. And I know plenty of people in this thread who can beat the pants off that. The tipping culture rules, BUT there are very real problems with it. I think a lot of those reasons need to be addressed but so many of them are so deeply imbedded into the whole culture that that poo poo is in there for good. This wage thing is attractive for a lot of reasons, but when you weigh them all up, they just don't hold up to being wicked badass at your job and getting tipped accordingly for it.

My biggest problem with tips and tipping is that it turns people into loving children. I've seen people squabble and fight over tips like it was the loving Black Voltron Lion and it makes me sad as hell and sick to my stomach. I've seen both customers and staff behave like their ice cream cone was just farted on for no good reason at all, all over some stupid tip scenario, and as a guy who's lived and worked on both sides of the tip or don't tip culture, I have to say that there is waaaayyyy less bullshit when tipping isn't a big deal. Now that either means not mandatory (like it is in Australia) or "not my problem" as in in a place that tip pools.

Now tip pools mean less money overall usually, but the tradeoff is less bullshit. So much less bullshit. It's refreshing as hell to see people working together on a table so that the customer is happy and not squabble over who gets what afterwards. Sheep Goats, you talk poo poo about Aussies (and maybe you're right - I've never been to the UK and seen how they are there) but over here, old time locals and travellers alike praise Aussies to me all the time for their exceptional service. It's because providing great service is our job no matter what. We aren't taught to care what gets written on the bill, we give our best no matter what. I cannot say the same about North American service. That's one huge advantage to this no tipping restaurant but the thing is that it's not an exclusive advantage.

The famous line I got given on my first day in Canada, asking for a recommendation on a draft beer after introducing myself as a bartender from the other side of the world, "DRAFT BEER IS FOR FAGGOTS AND FORIEGNERS!" would've got that bartender fired in Australia. No matter what. And rightly so. No one in a service position should ever be able to get away with saying something like that to a customer who isn't being belligerent or aggressive. Ever. Let alone one who is asking for a recommendation. But the tipping culture in North America seems to give a lot (absoloutely not all, but definitely way too many) of service staff that holier than thou attitude that the customer owes ME something, and I think that is completely rear end backwards.

Now does this restaurant have the soloution to the problem by abolishing tipping? I don't think so. I think it's a lazy half assed soloution to a problem that has so many other fixes. I don't think there's any danger of it catching on though because there's just way too much money to be made through tips if you can make people stoked on what you do. And isn't that what we're all here for? It should be. And if that's the case, then you deserve to be tipped - and tipped well - because that's why tips exist in the first place.

Now please disregard this entire post because it's a) it's amazing what happens sometimes when you sit down to write a single, solitary sentence b) it's 4am and I shouldn't be posting. Ok good talk.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

nrr posted:

The famous line I got given on my first day in Canada, asking for a recommendation on a draft beer after introducing myself as a bartender from the other side of the world, "DRAFT BEER IS FOR FAGGOTS AND FORIEGNERS!" would've got that bartender fired in Australia. No matter what. And rightly so. No one in a service position should ever be able to get away with saying something like that to a customer who isn't being belligerent or aggressive. Ever. Let alone one who is asking for a recommendation. But the tipping culture in North America seems to give a lot (absoloutely not all, but definitely way too many) of service staff that holier than thou attitude that the customer owes ME something, and I think that is completely rear end backwards.
I was chatting with the owner of a brewery here in Kansas City that's trying to make his brewery go from 'pretty good' to 'out mother loving standing' and he expressed a similar concern. I ended up chatting with him about it for almost two hours over steaks and beers at this taphouse I love and we ended up hashing through something that at least sounded good on paper.

Basically, here's the idea:

- He sets aside an 'advertising budget' of like 500 bucks a week (or whatever, changes based on how well he's doing recently), plus any tips collected by the staff the previous week.
- Each server/tender has an incentive code.
- At the start of the week, each server gets a portion of the advertising budget based on their shifts and their previous performance. So if you're working 20 hours you get half as much as a guy who's working 40.
- Your objective for that week is to give customers amazing experiences with your portion of the advertising budget. poo poo that really wows them. That's the only thing you need to think about. So giving out a free drink probably isn't going to make a terribly big impression since people get that poo poo as party favors all the time, but dropping some brewery swag on someone who's being a really cool dude or just being a bit of a bro to someone totally unrelated to the bar could make a big difference. The example the guy used was one time when he was serving at his own bar and a customer abruptly remembered he'd forgotten to get his wife something for their anniversary. So the owner's like 'here's 20 bucks on me, go get some flowers from down the street'. Dude never forgot that apparently.
- You track how effective people are being with their budget by having them write down the incentive code of the server that got them in the door on their ticket.
- At the end of the week, you tally up how effective people were and distribute the advertising budget (again, separate pool) by percentages. So if the advertising budget was 4k this last week and Billy Badass got 25% of all the submitted codes because he talks to people and makes them feel awesome, Billy Badass walks home with an extra grand.

The big problem we identified was making sure that the incentive codes were used properly and weren't falsified by staff. But since all receipts are kept around if someone felt like there was some fraud going on it wouldn't be impossible to go back and check. It'd be a pain in the rear end sure but a liar couldn't get away with it forever, and when he was found out he'd be fired, dead simple. I also asked him how he felt about effectively spending each tip twice since someone tipping 2 dollars would mean he could potentially spend 4 dollars all told, and he basically told me that if I'd ever seen the cost of billboards, radio, tv, or literally any other kind of advertising I wouldn't have even thought of asking that question.

But the spirit of what we were talking about seemed pretty cool. He's essentially trying to tie tips into making the customer feel like this is THEIR spot, that they go to and can feel like a king in, which is what tips were kind of supposed to express in the first place. But this ties it directly to giving the customer a great experience and making them come back to the bar to spend more money there instead of going to Divey McGee's two blocks away, so theoretically anyway it should feed back into his business.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I worked with plenty of Aussies back when I was still a bartender and didn't have any problems personally, but I've also had my share of British acquaintances and my ragging on Aussies line is more about what they said than what I experienced.

Also wages for blue collar and/or entry level labor in Aus are much better than they are in the US. There are far more jobs there that a guy can get out of highschool, just work at, and be able to buy a house and not have his wife work etc than there are in the states any more. Most people on our side of the industry in the US would probably agree that 19/hour seems about right for servers (it's probably more than paramedics and nurse aides make on average in the US after all) but if tipping wasn't a thing in the US I guarantee you you wouldn't see 19. Just look at those serving type jobs where there isn't tipping after all -- like at those chain buffet places or Chipotle or in fast food -- and you see what the rest of the industry would be without tipping culture but with American business culture. And by that I mean 16-21 year olds making 7.50 to 11 an hour.

Coolguye posted:

I was chatting with the owner of a brewery here in Kansas City that's trying to make his brewery go from 'pretty good' to 'out mother loving standing' and he expressed a similar concern. I ended up chatting with him about it for almost two hours over steaks and beers at this taphouse I love and we ended up hashing through something that at least sounded good on paper.

Basically, here's the idea:

- He sets aside an 'advertising budget' of like 500 bucks a week (or whatever, changes based on how well he's doing recently), plus any tips collected by the staff the previous week.
- Each server/tender has an incentive code.
- At the start of the week, each server gets a portion of the advertising budget based on their shifts and their previous performance. So if you're working 20 hours you get half as much as a guy who's working 40.
- Your objective for that week is to give customers amazing experiences with your portion of the advertising budget. poo poo that really wows them. That's the only thing you need to think about. So giving out a free drink probably isn't going to make a terribly big impression since people get that poo poo as party favors all the time, but dropping some brewery swag on someone who's being a really cool dude or just being a bit of a bro to someone totally unrelated to the bar could make a big difference. The example the guy used was one time when he was serving at his own bar and a customer abruptly remembered he'd forgotten to get his wife something for their anniversary. So the owner's like 'here's 20 bucks on me, go get some flowers from down the street'. Dude never forgot that apparently.
- You track how effective people are being with their budget by having them write down the incentive code of the server that got them in the door on their ticket.
- At the end of the week, you tally up how effective people were and distribute the advertising budget (again, separate pool) by percentages. So if the advertising budget was 4k this last week and Billy Badass got 25% of all the submitted codes because he talks to people and makes them feel awesome, Billy Badass walks home with an extra grand.

The big problem we identified was making sure that the incentive codes were used properly and weren't falsified by staff. But since all receipts are kept around if someone felt like there was some fraud going on it wouldn't be impossible to go back and check. It'd be a pain in the rear end sure but a liar couldn't get away with it forever, and when he was found out he'd be fired, dead simple. I also asked him how he felt about effectively spending each tip twice since someone tipping 2 dollars would mean he could potentially spend 4 dollars all told, and he basically told me that if I'd ever seen the cost of billboards, radio, tv, or literally any other kind of advertising I wouldn't have even thought of asking that question.

But the spirit of what we were talking about seemed pretty cool. He's essentially trying to tie tips into making the customer feel like this is THEIR spot, that they go to and can feel like a king in, which is what tips were kind of supposed to express in the first place. But this ties it directly to giving the customer a great experience and making them come back to the bar to spend more money there instead of going to Divey McGee's two blocks away, so theoretically anyway it should feed back into his business.

500/week seems really really high for am advertising budget for a brewery in Kansas City. And what do you mean "plus any tips collected?" The tips go to the staff, it's illegal and grossly inappropriate for him to collect their tips and then spend their money on freebies for his business. Did you just mean they get points for dollars in tips as well as for advertising money spent? Also how would it be possible that any given server would give away less money than you give them to give away?

In NYC it's not uncommon for bad bar jobs to be advertised as something like "must have a following." This means that business is slow and they want their bar staff to bring in the customers that they can't get on their own. First of all if this is how you get customers it just means that there's something really wrong with your bar. Second of all it doesn't really encourage a team effort on the part of the staff as what happens 99% of the time in that situation is that a frat dude takes the job and his bros come in and report him as the one that brought them there (this check is done at the door by security by asking people if they know any of the bartenders and recorded on a piece of paper), or else a sorority girl will do the same and tell her sisters to have their boyfriends also give her name. Quality of service is nothing next to social connections when it comes to these vote tallying things and if he comes up with some way to rate his employees based on customer feedback and makes it known then things will quickly shift toward this kind of indirect vote stuffing.

Here's how you accomplish what you're after usually: you pay secret shoppers to come into your bar and rate the servers they run into. There are of course businesses that specialize in providing these people and many of them are good at their jobs. You then bring evaluated servers into your office and discuss what the secret shoppers reported. If you have specific goals for your service you make them explicitly known to your staff, you communicate why you think these things are critical for the success of the business, and you let them know that you keep an eye out and you hire independent staff to come into your bar and look for these things as well. If that's not enough motivation either you have a problem employee or there's something about your bar that really hinders people from doing the job you're asking them to do.

Hilton Hotels does something similar to what you're taking about but without the money in / money out thing. Employee are encouraged to bring any over the top service items they think of on the fly to a manager who is encouraged by their manager to act on them. This is emphasized at hiring orientations and during staff meetings. The kind of staff you want working at your place will do these things for customers if they know they are allowed to. Any manager worth a poo poo would never hire a person who has their hand out ahead of their service to begin with and these people stick out like nobody's business to anyone who works in service or hospitality.

Finally I would say that your conception about what tipping is supposed to be is wrong. It's shown in movies as a payment for some extraordinary favor, but I personally feel that America's tipping culture is centered around recognizing that a person serving you is an equal human being rather than some sort of peon. It's a gesture that says "I want to pay you myself for your work" not "thanks for the handjob, I wasn't expecting that." There's something vaguely scrambly and gross about your chits for dollars scheme thing that runs counter to this and helps explain why at an instinctual level it frankly seems a little gross to me.

raton fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 5, 2014

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Always pool tips, always fire the people who don't help the pool

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Sheep-Goats posted:

500/week seems really really high for am advertising budget for a brewery in Kansas City. And what do you mean "plus any tips collected?" The tips go to the staff, it's illegal and grossly inappropriate for him to collect their tips and then spend their money on freebies for his business. Did you just mean they get points for dollars in tips as well as for advertising money spent? Also how would it be possible that any given server would give away less money than you give them to give away?
We were just tossing numbers around, I dunno what he was really thinking. But decent breweries in KC actually do get a lot of business since there's a huge demand gap right now. Since Google Fiber came in we've been getting a lot of programmer/techie types like me that have the money to go out and drink, but not necessarily the time to do it since our jobs love to work us a ton of unpaid overtime at random intervals. So when we go out and drink we've kind of got a tendency to run up triple-digit bills. This is the same in NYC, of course, so I'm sure you're familiar with the dynamic, but there are 5 craft breweries in KC right now. The closest rival in demographics, Denver, has over a dozen. What I'm saying is, these couple of little microbreweries tend to be PACKED with computer nerds on weekends, so business is good when it's there, but keeping the place full can be really difficult if that's your only market. If a company demands crunch time, half your regulars can disappear really fast if they all work at the same place, and depending on how lovely the company they work for is (Cerner being the shittiest) they could be gone for months.

And looking back I guess I articulated it like poo poo, but the idea is that his advertising budget would go up based on however many tips were collected. The actual tips would still be pooled into a normal tip pool, which he would then add however many dollars he was spending personally on advertising stuff that week. Two separate pools. The thing that would change is that the tip pool would be distributed based on how many people you were pulling in on a regular basis.

quote:

Finally I would say that your conception about what tipping is supposed to be is wrong. It's shown in movies as a payment for some extraordinary favor, but I personally feel that America's tipping culture is centered around recognizing that a person serving you is an equal human being rather than some sort of peon. It's a gesture that says "I want to pay you myself for your work" not "thanks for the handjob, I wasn't expecting that." There's something vaguely scrambly and gross about your chits for dollars scheme thing that runs counter to this and helps explain why at an instinctual level it frankly seems a little gross to me.
Yeah I'm not sure how you got that from my comment about tipping to be blunt. Tipping happens when you do a good job and doesn't happen when you do a bad job. If you make a customer feel like he's really wanted and feel like a boss, he's gonna tip more because he feels like you're doing a good job. That sort of appreciation is one of the most basic human to human things I can think of. And regarding 'chits for dollars', Gary Vanderchuk is pretty much the champion of this sort of poo poo, and his entire basis is in bars and liquor stores. The dude tells a bunch of stories in his book "The Thank-You Economy" of spending 300 bucks on throwing a meal with wine pairings for one customer back when he was working for his dad in the family liquor store just to get them to come back another time. That dude's net worth was insane ten years ago, and it's more insane now. I can definitely feel how it might be gross, I had a similar sort of reaction initially, but the owner I talked to basically slung the book at me and it's hard to argue with results, particularly when those results presume you're some no-name punk punching a much bigger competitor (that's basically all Vanderchuk has ever done).

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
MotherFUCK a tip pool.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
gently caress working with people you don't trust implicitly to work as a team so it doesn't matter who is on service, point, or the floor. Same money done by hours also national negroni week y'all and I'm walking into a gin bar...a kind of palace dedicated to juniper, if you will. Goddamn tonight is gonna be great.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Guys are all like

mooyashi posted:

Always pool tips, always fire the people who don't help the pool

But girls be all

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

MotherFUCK a tip pool.

: canned laughter :

Vegetable Melange posted:

gently caress working with people you don't trust implicitly to work as a team so it doesn't matter who is on service, point, or the floor. Same money done by hours

The places you work sure are awful different from the places I worked

raton fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jun 8, 2014

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

tip pools are alright for FoH and coworkers who suck get the boot pretty quick in those environments - unless they're loving/related to your boss, then you're hosed

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I split equally with people I work shifts with (ie we are on the floor at the same time, working in conjunction with one another) because we do equal, if not more work - I haul and change my own kegs and cases. I rely on my barbacks less than a lot of other people because I'd rather just have it done then and correct than have to explain it to someone or fix it later. But you want to split tips across a whole week or a day or want me to split with someone working a different bar? Get hosed.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I split equally with people I work shifts with (ie we are on the floor at the same time, working in conjunction with one another) because we do equal, if not more work - I haul and change my own kegs and cases. I rely on my barbacks less than a lot of other people because I'd rather just have it done then and correct than have to explain it to someone or fix it later.

this is what I mean by tip pooling, not like a monthly tipout

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Ah. That's standard. How would you separate tips for two or more people working the same bar? You have open tabs, etc.

Tip pooling usually means pooled across a day/week, at least everytime I've heard it.

E: gently caress places that want to do that, it's a means to keep wages low by compensating people who work low-volume shifts at the detriment of other works. I'm not down. I get reaaaaaaaalllly sketched out whenever managers or owners want to be involved in tip splitting. Never ends well, and is inappropriate for the way gratuities are classified by the IRS.

E2: I guess what I mean is tip split vs tip pooling; you split your tips at the end of the shift and share with the people you worked in conjunction with and your support staff, tip pooling is over days or weeks, at least in my experience.

MAKE NO BABBYS fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 8, 2014

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Guess my experience was what made it weird, I just meant you split it amongst people who stay out the shift, and upon a cut.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Ah. That's standard. How would you separate tips for two or more people working the same bar? You have open tabs, etc.

Tip pooling usually means pooled across a day/week, at least everytime I've heard it.

tip out whenever someone comes on shift or goes off shift

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
I walked onto a set mise, worked four busy hours, and got cut when the head bartender said go home (read: scumbag our friends down the street who are closing). I'll make my hours plus a pro rated amount of the tips for a night, and I love it because I shared the bar with great bartenders, killed the rush and got to swing boomerangs to a couple fine bars. Granted, the east village plays by different rules but I'll go to sleep knowing that we are in it together.

If only this was how everybody ran the game.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Im jealous as gently caress of how the east village runs poo poo and am already in negotiations to implement a highly illegal booze mule boomerang system across my entire town. Im even working on a donut infused whisky to pay the cops off with.

Septimius
Aug 23, 2006

nrr posted:

Is there any reason for people not liking draft beer? It's one of the attractions of a bar.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Septimius posted:

Is there any reason for people not liking draft beer? It's one of the attractions of a bar.
I think at least in North America people associate "draft beer" with mass-produced piss swill like Budweiser and Coors. When I went to London I asked the barkeep for a beer recommendation and she pointed me to the mildest thing they had because I was American. When I told her everything was on the table except IPA she was both surprised and pleased and set me up with some fine bitters.

Sondheim
Dec 10, 2007
FUCK YOU SANDY
In a surprise melding of my two careers, I am bartending at the afterparty of the Tony Awards tonight. Stories forthcoming hopefully.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
I didn't know you were NYC. Come by for a drink sometime.

Gropes
Mar 21, 2011

It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool.
I'm trying to come up with a new cocktail for our summer menu. What are some rum cocktails you guys enjoy during the hotter season? As of now I'm thinking of using Zaya rum and making a mango cordial since they're in season here but want some inspiration to fill the blanks.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Dark and Stormy's and Zombies

angry drinks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Gropes posted:

I'm trying to come up with a new cocktail for our summer menu. What are some rum cocktails you guys enjoy during the hotter season? As of now I'm thinking of using Zaya rum and making a mango cordial since they're in season here but want some inspiration to fill the blanks.

I had some weird version of a Negroni made with brandy instead of gin recently, and it was nice; you could probably put rum in it instead of brandy and make a good cocktail. The El Presidente is another good, classic rum cocktail, if it's not already on the menu.

• Locked thread