Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Elias_Maluco posted:

Im playing my first muslin game (started as Emir of Alexandria, currently King of Nubia) and among the differences I noticed is that my realm seems a lot more stable: much less trouble with revolts and factions (comparing with my previous game, when I played Russia). And decadence is easy enough to keep in check.

At the same time, it does seems like kingslaying is the number 1 sport in the realm. I had one ruler die of illness, all the others were murdered. Perhaps a side effect of having lots of wives?

Also, how can I create the Ibadi caliphate? I converted to it just to do that, but now I have no idea how to (and there is no Ibadi caliph in the world right now). Do I have to get an empire first? Im King of Nubia and Abyssinia, and I have all the provinces of the de-jure Abyssinia Empire except 3, but still no option to create the title.

Go to the religion page and mouse over the button. I assume it's the same as the Shia/Sunni Caliphates, the requirements for which I posted in this post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Is anyone else having young women constantly dropping dead of pneumonia not long after giving birth? It's happening to me with an alarming frequency. It's not even like it's just misreporting a childbirth death; the women usually die about a week or two after the child is born. It's gotten to the point that I get a message reporting that one of my younger female courtiers has died of pneumonia every five minutes or so and every time I check, sure enough, they had all just had a kid in the last couple weeks. It's really bizarre. I don't know if they actually contract pneumonia and die very quickly, or if they just drop dead and that's listed as their cause of death.

This is like the setup to a medical thriller you'd pick up for $5 at the airport.

Evil Queen Bee
Sep 7, 2011

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Is anyone else having young women constantly dropping dead of pneumonia not long after giving birth? It's happening to me with an alarming frequency. It's not even like it's just misreporting a childbirth death; the women usually die about a week or two after the child is born. It's gotten to the point that I get a message reporting that one of my younger female courtiers has died of pneumonia every five minutes or so and every time I check, sure enough, they had all just had a kid in the last couple weeks. It's really bizarre. I don't know if they actually contract pneumonia and die very quickly, or if they just drop dead and that's listed as their cause of death.

This is like the setup to a medical thriller you'd pick up for $5 at the airport.

Now that you mention it I feel like I am seeing this as well.

I also had to laugh over the weekend when my ruler died the exact same day his 13th child was born. I got the prompt saying I had a son and then the death screen popped up right after. One of those weird coincidences that actually feels oddly historical.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Allyn posted:

You get plenty if you set your Court Chaplain to research cultural tech, in my experience

Yeah, in my experience you generally get at least one per year. It actually gets really annoying if you don't want to do a heretic run, since it means you need to demand his religious conversion, put him back on the council, and then reassign any wards to him once a year.

fake edit: I'm actually looking at the "Chaplain becomes heretic" event right now (ID is 927 if you want to look it up yourself or fire it with the console). Here's how Mean Time To Happen is calculated for the event:

code:
mean_time_to_happen = {
		months = 1000

modifier = {
			factor = 1.25
			NOT = { learning = 2 }
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 1.25
			NOT = { learning = 3 }
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 1.25
			NOT = { learning = 4 }
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 1.25
			NOT = { learning = 5 }
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.75
			learning = 10
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.75
			learning = 11
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.75
			learning = 12
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.75
			learning = 13
		}
	}
I'm not an expert yet with coding MTTH, but what I believe is happening is that your chancellor is more likely to turn heretic if he has a middling Learning score; higher than 5 but lower than 10. Either that, or it's the opposite, I'm not certain.

There's no modification to the odds this will happen for traits. A zealous character will turn heretic just as surely as a cynical one. The only restrictions are that you and your chaplain can't already be heretics, and you have to be an Abrahamic religion.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Elias_Maluco posted:

Im playing my first muslin game (started as Emir of Alexandria, currently King of Nubia) and among the differences I noticed is that my realm seems a lot more stable: much less trouble with revolts and factions (comparing with my previous game, when I played Russia). And decadence is easy enough to keep in check.

At the same time, it does seems like kingslaying is the number 1 sport in the realm. I had one ruler die of illness, all the others were murdered. Perhaps a side effect of having lots of wives?

Also, how can I create the Ibadi caliphate? I converted to it just to do that, but now I have no idea how to (and there is no Ibadi caliph in the world right now). Do I have to get an empire first? Im King of Nubia and Abyssinia, and I have all the provinces of the de-jure Abyssinia Empire except 3, but still no option to create the title.

Remember how church vassals have an opinion bonus for high piety and feudal vassals for high prestige? All Muslim feudal rulers get both, you can double dip for +40 opinion if you have 2000 prestige and 500 piety. You also get +10 opinion for completing you Hajj. That gives you +30 compared to a normal Christian realm, or +40 if you play one of the Sayyid dynasties. And due to women never inheriting, it is much less common that mega dukes form through inheritance. Of course your free duchy revocation as a Muslim allows you to deal with mega dukes regardless. So you are right, Muslim realms tend to be more stable.

Kinslaying on the other hand is a prime sport in Muslim realms for several reasons, either for relatives to gain your title or for you to get rid of decadent dynasty members.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

DStecks posted:

Yeah, in my experience you generally get at least one per year. It actually gets really annoying if you don't want to do a heretic run, since it means you need to demand his religious conversion, put him back on the council, and then reassign any wards to him once a year.

fake edit: I'm actually looking at the "Chaplain becomes heretic" event right now (ID is 927 if you want to look it up yourself or fire it with the console). Here's how Mean Time To Happen is calculated for the event:

I'm not an expert yet with coding MTTH, but what I believe is happening is that your chancellor is more likely to turn heretic if he has a middling Learning score; higher than 5 but lower than 10. Either that, or it's the opposite, I'm not certain.

Nope, higher Learning always reduces MTTH. Each point below 6 multiplies the MTTH by 1.25, while each point over 9 to a max of 13 multiplies it by .75. That means at Learning 13+ MTTH is 316.41 months.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Double post but whatever. Why is it that the EUIV AI can figure out how to co-ordinate troop movements with war allies in order to double team enemies but the CKII AI can't? My war allies in CKII always do poo poo all, if they even show up.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

My son popped out with both Genius and Strong. :stare: Unfortunately he's my third son so I've got some stabbing to do.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Azuth0667 posted:

Also to make a republic I have to build a city and give it to a relative and give them a county right?

Doesn't have to be a relative. Just make sure he is the same culture and religion as you, because all the auto spawning republicans will have the same as his.

Give a dude a city, so he becomes a mayor. Then give him the county, now he's a fancy mayor. Finally give him the duke title. The other 4 families will spawn and you've got yourself a republic. You may as well give him the whole duchy, otherwise you'll get an opinion hit.

Note: If you are starting in Old Gods time it can take a while to pay off. If Trade Practices hasn't been researched in that county, they will have a -100% modifier to how many trade posts they can build, so for a long time they won't build any. No trade posts means no trade income, so they won't be making much more taxable income than a regular city. Their capital county needs Trade Practices to 3 before they start printing ridiculous piles of cash. If you can I find it help to position their capital adjacent to your capital, so technology from your capital will spread to the republic as quickly as possible.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Azuth0667 posted:

Does it make a difference whether I build a city or a church when I'm the head of the Norse faith? Also to make a republic I have to build a city and give it to a relative and give them a county right?

Churches mostly generate piety. Their levies are mediocre and they don't generate many taxes but they do generate a few cultural tech points. Mostly they're "meh" and not worth building a ton of. Coastal cities puke out gold like crazy. But yeah, if you want to make a merchant republic with a house of your dynasty you need to have a city title you can give a relative. Give them the city title and it makes them a mayor. They stay a mayor if they get higher titles but they need to have at least a duchy to start a merchant republic. Soon as they get a ducal title or higher it spawns four other families and the republic magics into existence. It doesn't necessarily need to be of your dynasty as they'll pay taxes to you anyway but it's useful to have one of the houses be of your dynasty.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Angela Christine posted:

Doesn't have to be a relative. Just make sure he is the same culture and religion as you, because all the auto spawning republicans will have the same as his.

Give a dude a city, so he becomes a mayor. Then give him the county, now he's a fancy mayor. Finally give him the duke title. The other 4 families will spawn and you've got yourself a republic. You may as well give him the whole duchy, otherwise you'll get an opinion hit.

Note: If you are starting in Old Gods time it can take a while to pay off. If Trade Practices hasn't been researched in that county, they will have a -100% modifier to how many trade posts they can build, so for a long time they won't build any. No trade posts means no trade income, so they won't be making much more taxable income than a regular city. Their capital county needs Trade Practices to 3 before they start printing ridiculous piles of cash. If you can I find it help to position their capital adjacent to your capital, so technology from your capital will spread to the republic as quickly as possible.

Relatives are nice though, because once you get a large dynasty you'll always have old guys hanging around that will inherit the republic, giving you a relations boost that helps offset the large negative modifier to relations from patricians.

Also, the most important thing that you didn't mention: Their capital has to be coastal. I tend to just give them the one county + duchy, and then once the republic has been generated and a few days pass, give them the rest of the duchy. I've occasionally had issues with the AI moving the capital in that day between the title being given and duchy turning into a republic, which leaves you with a useless lord mayor vassal instead of a patrician vassal.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Churches mostly generate piety. Their levies are mediocre and they don't generate many taxes but they do generate a few cultural tech points. Mostly they're "meh" and not worth building a ton of.
Note that the AI fukken loves churches to the point where there's frequently no point in planning to move your capital to a high-roller province like Paris if it takes you longer than 100 years to engineer, because by the time you get around to it all the slots will be filled with lovely bishoprics.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Allyn posted:

Go to the religion page and mouse over the button. I assume it's the same as the Shia/Sunni Caliphates, the requirements for which I posted in this post

I dont think I noticed this button. Ill look closer, thank you.

Torrannor posted:

Remember how church vassals have an opinion bonus for high piety and feudal vassals for high prestige? All Muslim feudal rulers get both, you can double dip for +40 opinion if you have 2000 prestige and 500 piety. You also get +10 opinion for completing you Hajj. That gives you +30 compared to a normal Christian realm, or +40 if you play one of the Sayyid dynasties. And due to women never inheriting, it is much less common that mega dukes form through inheritance. Of course your free duchy revocation as a Muslim allows you to deal with mega dukes regardless. So you are right, Muslim realms tend to be more stable.

Kinslaying on the other hand is a prime sport in Muslim realms for several reasons, either for relatives to gain your title or for you to get rid of decadent dynasty members.

Yeah, makes sense.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Techno Remix posted:

I originally got it from this thread I think, link to the Paradox forums where they discussed it is here:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?775515-Is-it-possible-to-become-a-republic-on-ironman-mode

Since it kind of gets hidden in there, here's the gist.

1) Make sure you control a duchy but only one coastal county
2) Land your heir to a city in that county (revoking it from the current mayor if you have to, should be a 100% success rate)
3) Attempt to imprison the religious leader in your county's bishopric until he raises his flag in rebellion
4) Do the same thing to your heir until he raises his flag in rebellion
5) Pause the game, raise the game speed to max, then offer to surrender to the bishopric
6) Unpause, watch the game fly, and once your offer of surrender goes through the game with switch you over to republic mode

If you don't set the speed to max, the game must do some kind of check immediately after you become a republic and come up with the instant "You lose!" window. Being on max speed must blow past that check and automatically create new patrician families for you to begin your new trade empire somewhere. I've only tried this on the Atlantic and Mediterranean side of the map so I don't know for certain if it works in the Indian Ocean or the Black Sea.

Hope this works for you. I get the impression that it's kind of a finicky process so give it a couple whirls and see if it works for you.

Fake edit: You'll see by my post history that I am anything but an expert in CK2 so if I've misspoke, my bad.

Thanks for this! I tested it out quick and dirty with an Old Gods Sweden (Svidjod) start. Worked without a hitch. Now I'll have to think of some silly game-breaking Republic start to play around with. Maybe a Jewish Khazar republic on the Black Sea? :v:

Edit: I think the only restriction to this working in Ironman is that you need an ADULT heir. If he's not of age you'll have a 100% chance to imprison and he'll never rebel, seems like from doing some testing.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 2, 2014

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

fool_of_sound posted:

Double post but whatever. Why is it that the EUIV AI can figure out how to co-ordinate troop movements with war allies in order to double team enemies but the CKII AI can't? My war allies in CKII always do poo poo all, if they even show up.

Because Wiz works on EUIV and not CKII, clearly.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

fool_of_sound posted:

As someone who got saved a bunch of times by allies sending huge stacks to help me, I disagree.

They do often show up, although it seems kinda random whatever they'll do it or not or how.

Automated Posting
Jan 12, 2013

So there's been a lot of talk about merchant republics, and I wanted to ask some things- I was thinking of setting up a pet republic in some lands I just took in North Africa. I have all the titles to these three provinces currently since I took it in a Holy War so I can set it up however I want. All three provinces are coastal. I understand the basic method to set up a republic as it's been explained here and in the wiki. What I was wondering was if there is any benefit to granting the republic multiple counties instead of just the one, and if so what the proper procedure is to grant these counties without causing the new Doge any "wrong type of holding" penalties is. If I understand this correctly, what I need to do is:

1) Create new vassals in all the bishoprics and non-capital castles, since they don't matter and would cause "wrong type of holding" penalties.
2) Either pick out a courtier and grant the best city to him, or just create a new vassal in that city. This guy will be my Doge. (What are good stats to look out for? Stewardship?)
3) Grant him the county title for the county he's in and then the ducal title, elevating him to Lord Mayor and then Doge. This spawns the republic.
4) Grant the Doge the cities in the other counties, and then the county titles for those counties. This SHOULD make those cities the capitals for their counties instead of the castles that are currently the county seats, correct? Because if I just grant him the county, the standard castle is still the capital and the "wrong type of holding" penalty kicks in. This is what I'm trying to avoid.
5) Profit.

Is that more or less the way to go about that?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
You're seriously overcomplicating things; your vassals can handle their baron-level titles themselves. All you need to do is grant the title to the Doge. They'll either hold it themselves or give it to the appropriate vassal type; they know how to handle county capital changes if needed. As for creating a republic, it's as simple as giving a county and then a duchy to a coastal mayor. There's no need to fool around with revocations or dynasties unless you want to handpick a specific person to lead the republic (which, in all fairness, is usually a good idea).

Main Paineframe fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 2, 2014

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Main Paineframe posted:

You're seriously overcomplicating things; your vassals can handle their baron-level titles themselves. All you need to do is grant the title to the Doge. They'll either hold it themselves or give it to the appropriate vassal type.

Quick question. If I conquer a province via holy war, put baron-level vassals in via the random new vassal button, and pass the county off, the baron-level guys become vassals of the new count right? They're not mine?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Serperoth posted:

Quick question. If I conquer a province via holy war, put baron-level vassals in via the random new vassal button, and pass the county off, the baron-level guys become vassals of the new count right? They're not mine?

Yes. The baron-level vassals within the county will be given away along with the count-level title; the only way to keep them while giving away the county is to hold them yourself and not check the "include lower titles" box when granting the county-and-above titles.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Main Paineframe posted:

You're seriously overcomplicating things; your vassals can handle their baron-level titles themselves. All you need to do is grant the title to the Doge. They'll either hold it themselves or give it to the appropriate vassal type; they know how to handle county capital changes if needed. As for creating a republic, it's as simple as giving a county and then a duchy to a coastal mayor. There's no need to fool around with revocations or dynasties unless you want to handpick a specific person to lead the republic (which, in all fairness, is usually a good idea).

When I'm handing out a county, I prefer to hand out all baronies of the same type as the one that will be the capital so the new count/duke doesn't become too powerful too quickly. Likewise, I hand out all counties before I give out the ducal title.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

It's possible that childbirth itself gives women a penalty to their health for a time even if they don't die immediately from it, so they're a lot more likely to die from other diseases in that time period. I've noticed it happening as well - it's probably just pneumonia most often because it's got the second highest health penalty next to the plague and is a lot more common.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
The new search functions make handing out titles really easy. What I'll usually do after winning a Holy War or whatever is search my realm for non-ruler, same religion/culture males and give one county per ruler. The Duchy title goes to someone who's Content (easy to search for now!) if at all possible and if not then they should otherwise get along with you.

Especially early on when you may be a little weak and vulnerable to factions and revolts, it's not a bad idea to parcel out your individual counties so the new Dukes don't start with maxed Demesne holdings.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
If you don't at least use the create vassal button on churches your missing out on free piety.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Is anyone else having young women constantly dropping dead of pneumonia not long after giving birth?

It's deliberate, from the patch that introduced "death in childbirth" and the sickly trait. There's ALSO a birth event with a chance of giving the mother pneumonia - and since pneumonia has such a huge health penalty the odds are they'll die pretty shortly afterwards, but I suppose sometimes they live.

If you play enough female rulers you'll actually see the text they wrote for it eventually (once the red mist of your rage at the RNG fades).

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

Thanks for this! I tested it out quick and dirty with an Old Gods Sweden (Svidjod) start. Worked without a hitch. Now I'll have to think of some silly game-breaking Republic start to play around with. Maybe a Jewish Khazar republic on the Black Sea? :v:

Edit: I think the only restriction to this working in Ironman is that you need an ADULT heir. If he's not of age you'll have a 100% chance to imprison and he'll never rebel, seems like from doing some testing.

Glad to help. I have, on rare occasions, gotten mt child heirs to rebel (which is kind of adorable when you think about it) but most of the time kids have 0s for stats so you'll always succeed. I think a zero intrigue makes you about as self-aware as a potato. If you have a very low intrigue and your child heir is strong or genius or going through tutoring, then you might have a chance.

I've also found my religious vassals to be lacking in intrigue as well. Book learnin' can't save you from a stabbin' I guess.

Automated Posting
Jan 12, 2013

Alright, something weird is going on in my game. Establishing that merchant republic I mentioned earlier is somehow breaking my line of succession.

All of the kingdoms my current character has are set to elective succession, and I've nominated one of her daughters as heir to all of them. That daughter has no notable competition in the election and will inherit all of her mother's titles on her death. It's important to me that she be the heir, because she's matrilineally married to the King of Brittany and Aragon and so she'll allow me to absorb those two kingdoms without a fight, giving me the last chunk of land I need to establish the Empire of Hispania.

But for some goddamn reason once I establish the vassal merchant republic, she's no long my heir! She's un-nominated from all the elections and can't be nominated again; she does not appear in the list of electable characters any more. She's still alive and still married to the King of Brittany/Aragon.

I have no idea why this is happening. The vassal I used to establish the merchant republic was newly created from a city I conquered and so is completely unrelated to me and shouldn't be able to affect the succession in any way. What the hell is going on here? :psyduck:

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

I haven't played CK2 in months, is there any "Must-have" reason to nab Rajas if I don't want to play an Indian nation at the moment (e.g., like needing LoR to use Retinues)?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

JerikTelorian posted:

I haven't played CK2 in months, is there any "Must-have" reason to nab Rajas if I don't want to play an Indian nation at the moment (e.g., like needing LoR to use Retinues)?

Nope. I think LoR was the big exception, mostly the patches unlock playability of different religions/regions but otherwise all the mechanics are included in base patch changes.

So, no, no reason to buy Rajas if you're not interested in playing in India.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Do any of the beta patches fix the weirdness that happens when you take Rome from the Pope but his barons all stick around? I'm still using the last non-beta patch, but I'm playing a Byzantium game and will probably take Rome soon.

Evil Queen Bee
Sep 7, 2011

Bold Robot posted:

Do any of the beta patches fix the weirdness that happens when you take Rome from the Pope but his barons all stick around? I'm still using the last non-beta patch, but I'm playing a Byzantium game and will probably take Rome soon.

I believe that was fixed in 2.1.5.4 or 2.1.5.5 (so yes).

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Dallan Invictus posted:

It's deliberate, from the patch that introduced "death in childbirth" and the sickly trait. There's ALSO a birth event with a chance of giving the mother pneumonia - and since pneumonia has such a huge health penalty the odds are they'll die pretty shortly afterwards, but I suppose sometimes they live.

If you play enough female rulers you'll actually see the text they wrote for it eventually (once the red mist of your rage at the RNG fades).

Oh, wow, that's interesting. I figured it was just some weird bug. I do feel like it happens a bit too often so maybe they could scale the chance to get sick back a little bit, but I feel a lot better knowing it's an event and not the vengeful RNG gods deciding they hate new mothers.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Bold Robot posted:

My son popped out with both Genius and Strong. :stare: Unfortunately he's my third son so I've got some stabbing to do.

Get stabbing then watch him die, a month after he becomes heir, of consumption like what happened to me :shepicide:

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Automated Posting posted:

Alright, something weird is going on in my game. Establishing that merchant republic I mentioned earlier is somehow breaking my line of succession.

All of the kingdoms my current character has are set to elective succession, and I've nominated one of her daughters as heir to all of them. That daughter has no notable competition in the election and will inherit all of her mother's titles on her death. It's important to me that she be the heir, because she's matrilineally married to the King of Brittany and Aragon and so she'll allow me to absorb those two kingdoms without a fight, giving me the last chunk of land I need to establish the Empire of Hispania.

But for some goddamn reason once I establish the vassal merchant republic, she's no long my heir! She's un-nominated from all the elections and can't be nominated again; she does not appear in the list of electable characters any more. She's still alive and still married to the King of Brittany/Aragon.

I have no idea why this is happening. The vassal I used to establish the merchant republic was newly created from a city I conquered and so is completely unrelated to me and shouldn't be able to affect the succession in any way. What the hell is going on here? :psyduck:

Quit the game and restart it. When weird succession-breaking stuff like that happens, that usually fixes it.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

JerikTelorian posted:

The decision to convert culture and/or religion to that of your capital is tied to Rajas. And since most of the fun in this game is from setting up weird scenarios and doing improbable things, you miss out on that handy little option.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Pellisworth posted:

Byzantine Empire at the Alexiad start. Alexios abdicates and allows his brother to reform the Roman Republic.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Thrasophius posted:

Get stabbing then watch him die, a month after he becomes heir, of consumption like what happened to me :shepicide:

The good news is that he has become my heir and his stats are ridiculous. The bad news is that he's crapped out two completely unimpressive kids and has now taken a vow of celibacy. :negative:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

As the Byzantines, do I have any options for dealing with the Seljuks other than just waiting for them to invade and hoping I can fight them off? I killed Seljuk himself with a successful plot, but the game spawned a newborn heir for him. I killed the heir and the game spawned another newborn. He's still sitting on like 80,000 event troops. My current max levy is ~60k so I should be able to handle him, just wondering if there's another possibility.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Bold Robot posted:

As the Byzantines, do I have any options for dealing with the Seljuks other than just waiting for them to invade and hoping I can fight them off? I killed Seljuk himself with a successful plot, but the game spawned a newborn heir for him. I killed the heir and the game spawned another newborn. He's still sitting on like 80,000 event troops. My current max levy is ~60k so I should be able to handle him, just wondering if there's another possibility.

You can take him if you force him to fight on unfavorable terrain with only part of his army. I was able to defeat him as a Zoroastrian Persian emperor by luring him to bring one of his retinues to my largest stack in a mountain, and then funneling the rest of my troops into the province when the battle starts. After the first few battles the war should effectively be over. It is a tough fight, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Stabbing worked pretty well with the HRE. Now its 3 mini HREs fighting each other while I capture Britania. One problem I have right now is that for some reason only my ruler can't seem to have a son and for some reason Scotland starts as gavelkind. This is going to cause all sorts of problems when kingdom of Scottland floats off to one of the 20 daughters I have while the heir-daughter gets everything else. I moved authority up to medium already, is there a way for me to get primogenitor succession without it being high crown authority? I really don't want to have to slowly chip away at Scottland until I can usurp.

• Locked thread