Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

This is a good LP. You have a good technique and a GREAT speaking voice. Very good sense of pacing.

I liked when you tried the security door. "Needs security card." "*sigh* Of course it does."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crane Fist posted:

You didn't rate the second one?

Machine for pigs was good! It is better than most of its peers though not as good as Outlast or Descent. A lot of people said Machine was more of a horror carnival show (I think partly due to the lamp having infinite fuel) though I think that's a bit unfounded. This might be a bit unpopular but I do put Outlast on the same level as Dark Descent, the DLC is also very good.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
I want to jump on the :bandwagon: here and tell you how great of a job you're doing. Especially your voice. I honestly have forgotten a few times that your voice isn't actually part of the game because it fits so well.

prussian advisor posted:

Is it bad that I'm genuinely impressed that the game renders you steadying yourself with the palm of your hand on the floor while crouched that actual people do in real life, including transitioning from your fingertips to your palm? I can't say that I remember seeing a game do that before.

I agree with this as well. When I saw the palm when crawling I was amazed. Also the way the game shows you steadying yourself on door frames when you peak around corners.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Acquire Currency! posted:

Machine for pigs was good! It is better than most of its peers though not as good as Outlast or Descent. A lot of people said Machine was more of a horror carnival show (I think partly due to the lamp having infinite fuel) though I think that's a bit unfounded. This might be a bit unpopular but I do put Outlast on the same level as Dark Descent, the DLC is also very good.

Personally I'd rate Machine for Pigs and Outlast over Descent, if only because neither of them have goofy physics nonsense or the hallucination effects and the limited tinderboxes which made no sense at all. Descent is also the worst in plot terms- it's actually really simple what's going on, but it's so convoluted and overtold that after I finished it I had to go on Wikipedia to find out what the hell was supposed to have just happened. Machine is a lot more straightforward, and if you haven't figured out where Outlast is going with this then you apparently don't watch any movies ever.

Is the Whistleblower DLC actually any good?

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
I've never been so tense watching someone else play a horror game before this LP.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Yeah, this is a beginning of a wonderful LP. Your voice and dialog, combined with realistic movement of the character really sell this experience.
Just don't give us a taste, and abandon it half way through.

Good luck!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Zain posted:

I've never been so tense watching someone else play a horror game before this LP.

Agreed. JamietheD's comment about his heart taking flight was pretty apt, and the basement sequence was gut clenching.

Hierophant
Oct 21, 2007

Crane Fist posted:

Descent is also the worst in plot terms [...] Machine is a lot more straightforward, and if you haven't figured out where Outlast is going with this then you apparently don't watch any movies ever.

So the Amnesia plot is pretty silly, but I think Outlast just gets so incredibly goofy that it's a bit hard to take seriously. However, Outlast manages to beat even Amnesia in terms of atmosphere, and that counts for a lot.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Since I'm not getting a PS4 anytime soon, this game has always been a bit of a curiosity to me. I'm excited to see what other fun this madhouse holds--and whether the gameplay ever involves more than sneaking around in the dark.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan
I was really impressed by the first person hand "physics" that this game has. While holding the camera the player will steady himself on the floor when crouching and also will steady himself against doorframes and such. Thinking about it some more I think that many third person games already do this (uncharted 3 being a good example) so I guess this is in some ways just applying what was done over there to a first person context. Does anybody else know any other first person games do this?

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

Heart Thumping Field Trip
BIG PANIC?
I'm... really happy some people are enjoying. :stare: Ridiculous amounts of thanks to everybody posting in the thread!

Episode Three- The Running Start -Video!-
Documents & Notes
I'm sorry if I seem kind of tired in this update. :shobon:
Also, there is no poorly-veiled cut where I had to rerecord a part of the video. No idea what you're talking about

prussian advisor posted:

Is it bad that I'm genuinely impressed that the game renders you steadying yourself with the palm of your hand on the floor while crouched that actual people do in real life, including transitioning from your fingertips to your palm? I can't say that I remember seeing a game do that before.
When the game first came out my friend made endless fun of me for being so impressed by this detail. :iia:

Longinus00 posted:

I was really impressed by the first person hand "physics" that this game has. While holding the camera the player will steady himself on the floor when crouching and also will steady himself against doorframes and such. Thinking about it some more I think that many third person games already do this (uncharted 3 being a good example) so I guess this is in some ways just applying what was done over there to a first person context. Does anybody else know any other first person games do this?

There aren't many, that's for sure. Mirror's Edge is the closest thing I can think of. Red Barrels' focus on making Miles' presence immersive is one of the biggest draws for me, and why I wanted to try LPing the game in this way. I'm a sucker for that kind of thing.

DumbRodent fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jun 2, 2014

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Well, there's no need for me to sleep peacefully tonight! :downs:

The detail I noticed about all the asylum residents is that all of them so far are bald. Is shaving off hair a thing that actually occurs in mental institutions or is this the game going "Nah," to designing extra assets?

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?

Compendium posted:

The detail I noticed about all the asylum residents is that all of them so far are bald. Is shaving off hair a thing that actually occurs in mental institutions or is this the game going "Nah," to designing extra assets?

There are some haired head assets in the game, though most aren't attached to a neck. There is one inmate I can recall from the DLC with a nice, sleek head of hair, though. I guess that the shaven look just looks... crazier.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Compendium posted:

I think a shaved head is a requirement for certain kinds of old-school electroshock treatments and such? Certainly necessary if you're going to be attaching any kind of weird science poo poo to a person's brain, anyway.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Really enjoying the way you play this, especially what you choose to film and the close-ups/reaction-shots.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Dude, what's wrong with you? That guy just wanted a little privacy during his intimate moment. <:mad:>

It's impolite to stare.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

azren posted:

While I can't say I agree about this game's quality, you are doing a wonderful job with the LP. I particularly like your vocal tone, and how you move the character in ways that respond to the things around you, like backing up from sudden horrible sights, and such. Keep it up, OP!

Okay, fine, I take a chunk of the "I can't say I agree" part of this comment. My initial impression was influenced by Arthur D. Wolfe's stream, so I should have taken it with a grain of salt. It's much creepier when I'm watching someone who knows what they're doing, and can make the game a more cinematic experience.

That said, I have trouble taking those twins seriously. Not because of their nudity, or anything, and they do have some nicely creepy dialogue, but for some reason, I keep thinking of those weird twins from Superjail,* and it kinda bounces me out of the creepiness.

*Yes, I watched that show, what of it?

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

azren posted:

That said, I have trouble taking those twins seriously.

Personally, I rather liked the well-mannered murderers. Perhaps it helps that I've never heard of Superjail before.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Ghostwoods posted:

Personally, I rather liked the well-mannered murderers. Perhaps it helps that I've never heard of Superjail before.

The comparison doesn't make a whole lot of sense, since their mannerisms are completely different, and their voices don't actually sound similar, it's just an involuntary mental connection on my part.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Chris Walker keeps babbling about "containment." Odd.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I'll just add another 'your commentary fits really drat well' to the pile and thank you for LPing this. It's always looked interesting, but I'm a huge coward when it comes to horror games :ohdear:, so it's nice to see someone else play it.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Haven't seen a single gun despite all the dead guards and dead mercenaries too. Not that I think this game would be improved by becoming a shooter, I just want to know who took 'em! The inmates aren't using them. And if the guards and mercs had guns, who killed them?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!

Keeshhound posted:

Dude, what's wrong with you? That guy just wanted a little privacy during his intimate moment. <:mad:>

It's impolite to stare.

When I first saw that scene I was concentrating on the guy strapped up against the wall, then I heard the guy shouting about private time, then I noticed the headless naked guy on the floor and it clicked when I saw the guy with no trousers on. I had to rewind the video and just laughed at the whole absurdity of the whole situation.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Do you have any sort of control when opening/closing doors? Slamming a door in the face of the maniac pursuing you is one thing, but when Miles has sneaked past a guy, sometimes he gives a sight of relief, carefully turns around to close the door and ...

<SLAM>

EDIT: Did you miss a battery on that last room? In the floor by the single desk on the right side.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 2, 2014

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

azren posted:

That said, I have trouble taking those twins seriously. Not because of their nudity, or anything, and they do have some nicely creepy dialogue, but for some reason, I keep thinking of those weird twins from Superjail,* and it kinda bounces me out of the creepiness.

Thank god I'm not the only one. The moment where they're talking about how you vanished is prime Superjail! material.

Would that make Chris Walker Jailbot?

Speedball posted:

Haven't seen a single gun despite all the dead guards and dead mercenaries too. Not that I think this game would be improved by becoming a shooter, I just want to know who took 'em! The inmates aren't using them. And if the guards and mercs had guns, who killed them?

Current guess, Father Martin seems to have some control over the inmates. Either he's getting them to squirrel the guns away, or Walker's breaking them into itty bitty pieces before you can get to them.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
It may stand to reason that whoever is aiding Walker in his "containment" procedures may be equipped with firearms to that purpose. I mean, we must assume that there's some big freaky monster buried underneath the place or even more twisted inmates that need the threat of bullets to keep in line.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Seconding (or thirding or fourthing etc.) the appreciation of your commentary style. You sound like a weary investigative journalist, which is obviously perfect.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Not a whole lot to add other than that I'm really liking this LP and that you've really found a nice balance between letting the game be the game, and adding in your own thing with the sparse comments.

CARRIERHASARRIVED
Aug 25, 2010

DumbRodent posted:

I'm... really happy some people are enjoying. :stare: Ridiculous amounts of thanks to everybody posting in the thread!

Well you got me to actually buy the game and play it through myself so that's something. I just thought it was another lazy horror game but I quite like it, and I quite like how you're handling it.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?

Keeshhound posted:

It's impolite to stare.

Not only did I stare, I got it on camera.

And put it on the internet. Maybe I am sick.

Fat Samurai posted:

Do you have any sort of control when opening/closing doors? Slamming a door in the face of the maniac pursuing you is one thing, but when Miles has sneaked past a guy, sometimes he gives a sight of relief, carefully turns around to close the door and ...

<SLAM>

EDIT: Did you miss a battery on that last room? In the floor by the single desk on the right side.

You can creak the doors open slowly to peek through, but there's no way to close them quietly.

At least, not yet. :iiam:
Yeah, I'm not picking up every single battery pack, and probably missing a couple as well. I feel like it helps the pace and immersion a bit if I'm not plucking them up all over the place. You don't need too many batteries when you know the game well enough that you don't spend so much time wandering around or hiding motionless in a dark corner and not making progress.

CARRIERHASARRIVED posted:

Well you got me to actually buy the game and play it through myself so that's something. I just thought it was another lazy horror game but I quite like it, and I quite like how you're handling it.

Oh excellent! I don't even know what to say to that, hah. Glad you decided to pick up the game!

DumbRodent fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 2, 2014

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

The shaved heads thing is certainly a practice that has taken place in mental institutions and prisons. It's supposedly to help prevent the spread of lice but it also serves as a "good" way of dehumanizing people. In a mental institution it would probably help control those who might tear their own hair out and whatnot as well.

Of course in this case most of these guys look like they have had some sort of horrid... something happen to them. Do maybe they lost their hair from that.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So when you get cornered by the Terrible Two and can only escape through the window, I guess they kill you if you hop back inside too soon? It's rare to see the off-screen teleport being used to leave the victim alone.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?

Speedball posted:

So when you get cornered by the Terrible Two and can only escape through the window, I guess they kill you if you hop back inside too soon? It's rare to see the off-screen teleport being used to leave the victim alone.
They'll pretty much drag you inside if you go remotely near the windows.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Speedball posted:

Don't worry, Outlast loving loves its off-screen teleports to threaten the player (with one particularly egregious example). Fortunately, it doesn't do them during regular gameplay, just cutscenes and showing an enemy entering the area.

I actually wasn't as hot on Outlast as the rest of this thread it seems. :shobon: Its a decent game but I think it relies way too much on gore, sexual horror, and jump scares to really get under your skin like Amnesia or the good Silent Hill games. At the same time, it undermines what horror it does create with blatant "gamey" aspects like enemies always checking the locker next to the one you're in or always stopping beside a bed you're hiding under but never looking under it. The stealth sequences were also sometimes frustrating with how difficult it is to figure out where some of the enemies are.

A solid first game though, and I'd be interested to see what Red Barrels does with what they've learned from Outlast and Whistleblower.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Would that make Chris Walker Jailbot?

If I had to pick someone, I'd say the guard (I can't remember her name at the moment)?

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?
Silky update. Silky.

Episode Four - Home Movies -Video!-
Documents & Notes
  • Doctor Wernicke Obituary, found in a patient's cell, seeming left for us by Father Martin.

• Walrider, recorded by Miles after witnessing something unnatural.

• The Gospel of Sand, found at the base of a destroyed ladder/human being. Pretty metal name.

• The Doctor is Dead, recorded by Miles after listening to the words of an inmate.
  • Still Bleeding, the final, near-lucid thoughts of an unfortunate inmate of Mount Massive Asylum. :smith:

• A Feast for Flies, recorded by Miles after laying eyes on what seems to be a body disposal room at the apparent end of Father Martin's "way out".

• Organized Torture, recorded by Miles after spotting some very pertinent graffiti.

• Project Walrider Cost Report, our first real introduction to the positively fantastic Doctor Richard Trager.

Is a ~40 minute video like this a bit obnoxious/boring, or will it do? I like the flow of this section of the game, and it's overall less work for me, but I can keep future updates trim and tidy if that's more enjoyable.

DumbRodent fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 22, 2014

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

This was a good video. I wouldn't worry.

Also that cutting off point. :stare:

(heh, heh, cutting off)

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

My other car is an asteroid
:black101:
Well... that was a thing. :stonk:

The video length was fine, it's not like this game ever gets boring. God I bet our character wished it did though.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
God that big guy freaks me out. Then again I've never been a big fan of getting chased by something.

Also Jesus Christ that ending... :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azren
Feb 14, 2011

DumbRodent posted:

Silky update. Silky.

Episode Four - Home Movies -Video!-
Documents & Notes
  • Doctor Wernicke Obituary, found in a patient's cell, seeming left for us by Father Martin.

• Walrider, recorded by Miles after witnessing something unnatural.

• The Gospel of Sand, found at the base of a destroyed ladder/human being. Pretty metal name.

• The Doctor is Dead, recorded by Miles after listening to the words of an inmate.
  • Still Bleeding, the final, near-lucid thoughts of an unfortunate inmate of Mount Massive Asylum. :smith:

• A Feast for Flies, recorded by Miles after laying eyes on what seems to be a body disposal room at the apparent end of Father Martin's "way out".

Is a ~40 minute video like this a bit obnoxious/boring, or will it do? I like the flow of this section of the game, and it's overall less work for me, but I can keep future update trim and tidy if that's more enjoyable.

Nicely done! Great job on that ending, too!

• Locked thread