Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Crappy Jack posted:

Basically I'd rather be playing as anybody in this game besides Aiden.

Clara or Jordi would both be 20,000x better than Aiden. Le sigh.

With the name "Watch DogS" I thought there was going to end up with like a secret underground organization of hackers, like the assassins from AC. I guess I haven't beat the story yet, but I'm not getting the feeling its going that direction.

Watch Dogs 2 should feature a whole team of hackers working together, and make all of them playable.

I mean, they already have all the animations for multiple characters to make multi work. You could easily swap the player out. And the existing story sucks, so replace it with a more interesting one and you can play as any member of the team.

If they did the GTA5 thing where you could switch players and catch up with what the others were doing at the same time, that'd just be that much better.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jun 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I think I would have enjoyed Watch Dogs a lot more if it was legitimately branded Assassin's Creed 5: The Modern Day, with Aiden manipulating the Templar systems against them. Hell, I wear the White Hat Hacker getup because it's closest to the Assassins' uniform. I also play the game with Aiden as a terrible newbie rear end, just "parkouring" everywhere and completely misunderstanding "Nothing is true; everything is permitted." Yup, Aiden = retarded Ezio

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Zaphod42 posted:

With the name "Watch DogS" I thought there was going to end up with like a secret underground organization of hackers, like the assassins from AC. I guess I haven't beat the story yet, but I'm not getting the feeling its going that direction.
Naw, it's just a lazy callback to Watchmen's "who watches the watchers?"

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything
Found a pretty funny way to torment invaders.

When you hack a Blomberg employee immediately take off for the nearest bridge. Once you've reached the center, block off the intersection and watch for irregular activity. Once you've spotted irregular activity, go for a head shot. I can only imagine the look on people's faces when they realize you knew they were there before they did.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

hiddenriverninja posted:

I think I would have enjoyed Watch Dogs a lot more if it was legitimately branded Assassin's Creed 5: The Modern Day, with Aiden manipulating the Templar systems against them. Hell, I wear the White Hat Hacker getup because it's closest to the Assassins' uniform. I also play the game with Aiden as a terrible newbie rear end, just "parkouring" everywhere and completely misunderstanding "Nothing is true; everything is permitted." Yup, Aiden = retarded Ezio

The two obvious things the AC serious should do; A modern day game in the future, or a ninja asssassin game set in feudal japan, are for some stupid reason the last things they're going to do. Ubisoft is dumb.

I kinda like the idea of Watch Dogs being its own world, but it needs a better story to do so. As it stands tying it in with AC would have been better than this ... bland revenge story, that's for sure.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Speedball posted:

Also, drat, some dude is mayor of 22 hotspots in the city. Dedicated.
I have made a point of checking in to all the checkmarks I am near to. Found one guy who'd checked in thirty-two times to one spot. :catstare:

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Do you have the online skills?

Do the unspent skill points you earn in single player carry over to online skills?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Watch_Dogs really would have been seriously improved by not taking itself so seriously. It kinda does that with some of the side missions but it just makes them stand out more from Aiden Pierce's Grim Grimness of Dead Niece Revenge.

Yup, nail-on-the-head, here. Oh, well.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Fateo McMurray posted:

Do the unspent skill points you earn in single player carry over to online skills?
Online skills are automaticallyadded to your character from what I can tell - you cannot buy them with skill points, they're connected to your notoriety score (and may vanish if it goes too low).

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

coyo7e posted:

Naw, it's just a lazy callback to Watchmen's "who watches the watchers?"

No? It's based off of "watchdog journalism"

Wikipedia posted:

A watchdog is defined as "a person or group of persons that acts as a protector or guardian against inefficiency, illegal practices, etc."

Of course Aiden is as much a criminal as half the people he fights but what are you going to do v:v:v

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

coyo7e posted:

Online skills are automaticallyadded to your character from what I can tell - you cannot buy them with skill points, they're connected to your notoriety score (and may vanish if it goes too low).

Ok then I've maxed the single player skills with a bonus skill point to spare then

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

It would be awesome if the devs/writers listened to the virtually unanimous disdain for Aiden and his story and made Watch Dogs 2 about a new group of hackers taking him down for all the ridiculous poo poo he did in the first game.

Not sure what the next city would be. Maybe London? Chicago was the last major American city that needed the open world treatment.

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything

the truth posted:

It would be awesome if the devs/writers listened to the virtually unanimous disdain for Aiden and his story and made Watch Dogs 2 about a new group of hackers taking him down for all the ridiculous poo poo he did in the first game.

Not sure what the next city would be. Maybe London? Chicago was the last major American city that needed the open world treatment.

And the new group of hackers should hack military fighters to launch missiles into the city.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Of course Aiden is as much a criminal as half the people he fights but what are you going to do v:v:v

Yeah I'm mostly through Act 1 and I still don't get what Aiden has to do with all the Snowden-esque fight for truth stuff Ubi promoted this on. Aiden is just a maniac that has as always worked as a criminal and yet for some reason can get vigilante points now by doing crime STOPPING missions. Why the hell does he want to stop crime when he's literally working off it himself? None of it makes a lick of a sense. And honestly it's probably a fair reason not to buy the "we'll fix it with a sequel" for some because so far they seem to have put about 90% of story effort into trying to be a GTA-bad-guys-are-cool-trope and ignored massive issues they invoke. Not confident that will change.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Spiky Ooze posted:

Yeah I'm mostly through Act 1 and I still don't get what Aiden has to do with all the Snowden-esque fight for truth stuff Ubi promoted this on. Aiden is just a maniac that has as always worked as a criminal and yet for some reason can get vigilante points now by doing crime STOPPING missions. Why the hell does he want to stop crime when he's literally working off it himself? None of it makes a lick of a sense. And honestly it's probably a fair reason not to buy the "we'll fix it with a sequel" for some because so far they seem to have put about 90% of story effort into trying to be a GTA-bad-guys-are-cool-trope and ignored massive issues they invoke. Not confident that will change.

The Snowdenesque stuff is pretty much Act 2 on fyi. The game goes from "MY NIEEEEECE" to "Oh I should probably save the city shouldn't I." fairly quickly.

^^^^ Seattle because we've only had one goddamn open world game, and it's the most connected place on the planet.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Holy gods the dialog Aiden gives (to himself) when rushing back to Nicky's house to see Damien is cringeworthy.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

the truth posted:

Is there really such a disdain for Aiden among the people who played Watch_Dogs or is it just goonfeels?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

^^^^ Haven't seen much of it elsewhere but other forums are poo poo anyways

the truth posted:

London wouldn't actually be that bad, since they already have the whole "One CCTV camera for every 11 people holy crap" thing going on.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Had a few successes today being invaded, by sitting around hacking every pedestrian until I hit up a blume affiliate, and then just busting rear end to the edge of a river or somewhere with no NPCs around. I've noticed that you very much do not get warned about being invaded for a good bit - either until a certain time has passed, until you're marked, or until you damage the player.. Not sure if it's one or all of these mixed together however I had a guy go careening over my head in a car and I put a few rounds into him and got a "you are being invaded", while another one did essentially the same thing and then drove past me and somehow successfully pulled off a hacking start. The second guy didn't give me a warning until he began hacking me (after he'd driven off to a densely-packed urban area a good 200 meters away).

I guess there's a timer before the "hacking circle" forces you to stay stationary as an invader, because that guy got an impressively long distance from me before I even saw the circle pop up.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

No? It's based off of "watchdog journalism"

I just have a lot of trouble believing that UbiSoft people sat around a meeting table and went "yeah let's make some topical poo poo about news and the media," when they have all seen a comic-based movie about lunatics in costumes going vigilante all over a crumbling city. Especially when they're literally cribbing characters from other recent+popular films.

the truth posted:

Wasn't that already a Die Hard movie?

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 2, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

the truth posted:

Tokyo DUHHH :doh:

Sleeping Dogs' Hong Kong was cool, doing a super cyberbunk Tokyo would be the best for Watch Dogs.

If we can't have Tokyo, then London would be decent.

Randler posted:

Is there really such a disdain for Aiden among the people who played Watch_Dogs or is it just goonfeels?

I dunno, I'm hearing a lot of gamers say the first Act's tone feels really awkward, I don't think its just us. Hopefully Ubisoft is hearing the same.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

I dunno, I'm hearing a lot of gamers say the first Act's tone feels really awkward, I don't think its just us. Hopefully Ubisoft is hearing the same.

Sadly from talking to people at work/checking their forums, everyone loves Aiden and thinks he's the coolest guy ever. :suicide:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Rookersh posted:

Sadly from talking to people at work/checking their forums, everyone loves Aiden and thinks he's the coolest guy ever. :suicide:
"Dude, have you played Watch Dogs?! It's just like GTA, except you play as Master Chief - without armor!"

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Rookersh posted:

Now the question becomes "Are we overly critical of a fun game because we're goons, or do other people just not have good taste?"

It's the second

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
From what I can tell, outside of the bounties calling in one invader - you never ever seem to get invaded if you just sit around hacking blume affiliates all day and leaving them to call home and complain - from the invading or invader side. I've not gotten hacked in nearly 24 hours despite doing mostly nothing but dicking around the city hitting hotspots and criminal missions to raise my rep - outside of when I purposefully leave a blume affiliate to call home and cry about it.

Some of the later hideouts get loving TOUGH though, like that bridge in Pawnee.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2014/05/30/early-adopter

*Snort* Yeah, pretty much.

AllLuckySevens
Oct 15, 2012

Thump! posted:

I picked this game up a couple of days ago, somewhat on a whim since it seems really neat, however for some reason it won't play very well on my PC. Super stuttering, lag, and even crashing once or twice. I've managed to slug it out through a couple of missions, but even with the resolution and graphics down to the bare minimum it just refuses to run, while I'm playing Farcry 3 and Max Payne 3 at the max graphics, so I know my computer can handle it.

Have they figured out a solution somewhere earlier in this thread that I was too lazy to read through?

Exit the game after changing any graphics settings, the game stutters to he'll afterwards for some reason.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

*Snort* Penny Arcade, pretty much.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Once I hacked a guy's grenade in the middle of a fight and he threw it right at me. What a dick.

EDIT: Can you shoot a grenade out of the air or an enemy's hand using focus? I keep meaning to try it and then forgetting when I'm actually in a fight. I did try shooting a guy while he was trying to save himself from a hacked grenade, hoping to force him to drop it at his feet, but sadly the animation seems to be uninterruptible.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jun 2, 2014

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Seeing how important and vital Aiden's cellphone is, you'd think he'd be using something other than an iPhone 3

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Okay so what the gently caress. My machine is not weak, in any regards, but as soon as I start driving around the city, it starts to become an unplayable lagfest.

Are there any settings I miss, because I turned everything extrmely low, and it still stutters.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

the truth posted:

That was less the reason and more that Chicago is one of the few American cities that has street blockers and drawbridges in it, which thus gives a nice mechanic for the hacking poo poo. I think that's literally the only reason the game is set in Chicago... it'd be boring if that bridge skill could only be used on that one bridge that connects that one spot to another spot and nowhere else, like, you know, every other city with a drawbridge.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Michaellaneous posted:

Okay so what the gently caress. My machine is not weak, in any regards, but as soon as I start driving around the city, it starts to become an unplayable lagfest.

Are there any settings I miss, because I turned everything extrmely low, and it still stutters.
Free up as much memory as you can by closing everything else. Other than that everyone has that problem, the engine just seems to do a really bad job of streaming in assets in the background on the PC.

Do the PS4/xbone versions have this problem?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Sindai posted:

Free up as much memory as you can by closing everything else. Other than that everyone has that problem, the engine just seems to do a really bad job of streaming in assets in the background on the PC.

Do the PS4/xbone versions have this problem?

Since my father bought it for PS3 and I played it already there - no. Not at all.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Michaellaneous posted:

Make sure you have the most recent drivers. I had the same issue until I updated to the drivers that came out right before launch and it worked a lot better. It is just awful at continually loading in more of the city for some reason

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Fuzz posted:

That was less the reason and more that Chicago is one of the few American cities that has street blockers and drawbridges in it, which thus gives a nice mechanic for the hacking poo poo. I think that's literally the only reason the game is set in Chicago... it'd be boring if that bridge skill could only be used on that one bridge that connects that one spot to another spot and nowhere else, like, you know, every other city with a drawbridge.

Sounds like London or the Netherlands next, then.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
I really don't get how people aren't thinking this game is a god drat blast. I have just started doing missions and I am sneaking around with a silenced pistol shooting dudes in the head and detonating grenades and explosives on the wall and everyone is just dying and clueless about what to do next.

The driving is some of the weightiest smash fest I've ever experienced. I love the chases because I am always guaranteed to go off a sweet jump or get into a bad rear end wreck. Dying is so inconsequential also.

I just wish all the weapons were silenced. I hate having to run from the cops during a good massacre. Maybe the story sucks later but I kind of like it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Broken Cog posted:

Sounds like London or the Netherlands next, then.

Pretty much. Or Vancouver, I believe?

Would be pretty neat to hack Tower Bridge, though.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Now the question becomes "Are we overly critical of a fun game because we're goons, or do other people just not have good taste?"

I don't think you need to second guess your opinion simply because it differs from popular consensus. It's actually ok! You also don't need to wring your hands about it :)

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Meowbot posted:

I really don't get how people aren't thinking this game is a god drat blast. I have just started doing missions and I am sneaking around with a silenced pistol shooting dudes in the head and detonating grenades and explosives on the wall and everyone is just dying and clueless about what to do next.

The driving is some of the weightiest smash fest I've ever experienced. I love the chases because I am always guaranteed to go off a sweet jump or get into a bad rear end wreck. Dying is so inconsequential also.

I just wish all the weapons were silenced. I hate having to run from the cops during a good massacre. Maybe the story sucks later but I kind of like it.

I think its ok. Just wildly inconsistent. I think a lot of the stuff to do is horribly boring. The QR searches, the chess, the poker, etc are terrible. I only did the gun case investigation so I could get the gun that is unlocked. But the gang hideouts, story missions, and convoys are kind of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Sindai posted:

Once I hacked a guy's grenade in the middle of a fight and he threw it right at me. What a dick.

EDIT: Can you shoot a grenade out of the air or an enemy's hand using focus? I keep meaning to try it and then forgetting when I'm actually in a fight. I did try shooting a guy while he was trying to save himself from a hacked grenade, hoping to force him to drop it at his feet, but sadly the animation seems to be uninterruptible.
I KO'd a guy while he was about to throw and he dropped it at his feet.

I also hacked a guy in a hideout when it was down to the target and 2 others - I sprinted at the target and KO'd him and then heard BEEPBEEPBEEP BOOM because the other guy I'd just hacked, had tossed his grenade away from himself - and directly onto me and the target.

Calaveron posted:

Seeing how important and vital Aiden's cellphone is, you'd think he'd be using something other than an iPhone 3
iPhone 3 has that many face buttons? :allears:

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 2, 2014

• Locked thread