Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
How to land your plane in warthunder:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

That but with a Mustang 'landing' on an aircraft carrier

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Oh, it looks like Kursk was added to the RB queue. First impressions weren't all that positive, since the enemy had few IV F2s while my team seemed limited to T1 stuff, at least on the ground.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

"Soft Landing!" :v: Wait, that's a Harrier; don't they have automated vertical landing?

Seriously though, ever since I turned off that instructor thing, I've made a bunch of touch and go landings in War Thunder no sweat.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

They should probably implement some kind of cap that requires your plane and tank to be within 1 BR of each other. Half the mid tier games are people who load into a good fighter/bomber and then either leave or tool around uselessly in a reserve tank :shrug:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Davin Valkri posted:

"Soft Landing!" :v: Wait, that's a Harrier; don't they have automated vertical landing?

Seriously though, ever since I turned off that instructor thing, I've made a bunch of touch and go landings in War Thunder no sweat.

No, the harrier is a VSTOL plane, which stands for very short take off and landing.

It cannot land on a point, nor can it start vertically.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Michaellaneous posted:

No, the harrier is a VSTOL plane, which stands for very short take off and landing.

Uh...no?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdjMPI3XGzw

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Michaellaneous posted:

It cannot land on a point, .

Counterpoint: I watched some do it.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Michaellaneous posted:

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's just that neither vertical landing nor takeoff are regularly done as the maneuver costs a shitton of fuel (and presumably isn't even possible with full payload (and maybe not even full fuel load?)) so it's heavily uneconomical.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
I managed to obliterate a Me109 in my T34 last night, but for some reason the replay's hosed up and keeps freezing. Crap.

Also, I've been really liking the soviet TDs but it seems like every time I shoot something with the SU122 one of the guys has to get out and walk back to Moscow to get the next shell. What the gently caress takes all that time.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Perestroika posted:

Oh, it looks like Kursk was added to the RB queue. First impressions weren't all that positive, since the enemy had few IV F2s while my team seemed limited to T1 stuff, at least on the ground.

I've heard that Kursk in SB was night on impossible for the Germans, but the first match I played in it on RB was a landslide for the German team. Had a very near miss from a Russian bomb mind, but Kampfgruppe Sperg won the day.

I can also kind see why people turn the grass off, that poo poo is stupidly high.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Unkempt posted:

Also, I've been really liking the soviet TDs but it seems like every time I shoot something with the SU122 one of the guys has to get out and walk back to Moscow to get the next shell. What the gently caress takes all that time.

That's the price to pay to be able to one-shot anything, anywhere. Reload times in general take significantly longer than they did in reality for gameplay reasons.

Ludicro posted:

I've heard that Kursk in SB was night on impossible for the Germans, but the first match I played in it on RB was a landslide for the German team. Had a very near miss from a Russian bomb mind, but Kampfgruppe Sperg won the day.

Kursk is basically made for German tanks with their high-velocity guns.

Just about every time you see complaints about Soviet tanks being too good, it's a dumb wehraboo pubbie.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Unkempt posted:

I managed to obliterate a Me109 in my T34 last night, but for some reason the replay's hosed up and keeps freezing. Crap.

The ammo was 2 separate pieces. It's also heavy as hell.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

It's too bad there was a little lag when this happened.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

YellerBill posted:

That but with a Mustang 'landing' on an aircraft carrier

The Mustang is a fine carrier aircraft. The only plane that's better at carrier operations is the twin Mustang!

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
Several times last night I got a message saying that I TK'ed somebody in spawn and got a TK penalty for it. All I did was spawn and drive forward a bit, am I telefraging people?

Ludicro posted:

At Tier 1 sure, enjoy getting wrecked by T-50's all day every day. After that its a different story, but yeah pubs are bad.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

More like pubbies trying to do something in Domination matches. I'm the only person in my group of regular players who can touch and go with any regularity. Capping out the enemy base in a wellington with one engine on fire and managing to kill two planes on my tail with the 4k bomb is my crowning moment in the game so far

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
Is any one else getting 80% of their team in CA starting in planes getting dead immediately and then quitting the game, or am I in some kinda of special MM hell?

Azure Renraku
Oct 6, 2003
I might hit up the Tennessee Museum of Aviation later because I'm bored and have nothing to do at the moment. I'll take some pics of their lovely jug.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Dezztroy posted:

That's the price to pay to be able to one-shot anything, anywhere. Reload times in general take significantly longer than they did in reality for gameplay reasons.

Kursk is basically made for German tanks with their high-velocity guns.

Just about every time you see complaints about Soviet tanks being too good, it's a dumb wehraboo pubbie.

Well, at least in T1 the russians have relatively strong armor, and they also don't have quite as juicy "shoot here to receive instant kill" spots like the StuG and PzIII have with their vision slits. I could see somebody helplessly bouncing 20mm shells off of a T50 and taking that as representative for balance as a whole.

Case in point, on my second round of Kursk I tried to race down the western flank with my T50, but overextended and found myself kind of isolated behind enemy lines. I started shooting some of the NPC tanks in the butt, but eventually a bunch of players noticed me and opened fire. It turned out that due to the distance they couldn't hurt me at all. At least five different sources kept lobbing shells at me, but they either bounced entirely or caused some irrelevant damage to the tracks. I must have taken close to 50 shots. Though in return I couldn't do much to them either except killing a single StuG with a lucky shot that apparently went right down its barrel, and eventually some kind of giant stationary AT-gun took me out.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 2, 2014

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

mlmp08 posted:

Counterpoint: I watched some do it.

Ah yeah, sorry I read that wrong. It is able to do both. And do short landings and takeoffs as well.

Cool.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Perestroika posted:

Well, at least in T1 the russians have relatively strong armor, and they also don't have quite as juicy "shoot here to receive instant kill" spots like the StuG and PzIII have with their vision slits. I could see somebody helplessly bouncing 20mm shells off of a T50 and taking that as representative for balance as a whole.

Case in point, on my second round of Kursk I tried to race down the wester flank with my T50, but overextended and found myself kind of isolated behind enemy lines. I started shooting some of the NPC tanks in the butt, but eventually a bunch of players noticed me and opened fire. It turned out that due to the distance they couldn't hurt me at all. At least five different sources kept lobbing shells at me, but they either bounced entirely or caused some irrelevant damage to the tracks. I must have taken close to 50 shots. Though in return I couldn't do much to them either except killing a single StuG with a lucky shot that apparently went right down its barrel, and eventually some kind of giant stationary AT-gun took me out.

Russian T1 has some stuff that is a bitch to play against, like the T-50s which are pretty much a low-end T2 light tank. While the ZIS-30 is a glass cannon that can 1-2 shot pretty well, gently caress that thing when theres a fella camping an exit with it.

Balance seemed to even out in T2 when the german side gets ausf L/F2s.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006

Unkempt posted:

Yup, replays are definitely buggered. Got a sweet dive bomb attack onto an SU-85 capping the conquest point on Karelia while flying a 109F2 that barely avoided hitting the radio tower thingy. But first I have to get through my frankly pathetic first life in a Hetzer, which incidentally died at the cap point...

Yet each time I start the reply it gets stuck and my Hetzer starts slowly submerging into the ground.

On the plus side I might have found a solution for subs in Naval battles.

Dive dive dive!

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Now that's going Hull Down :downs:

BlancoNino
Apr 26, 2010
Kursk is in the RB map rotation for the time being.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
Shadowplay owns so hard that your next card should be an nvidia if you can't use it yet because gently caress dealing with log based replay files where even something like lag can break them.

What are flaps, how do they work, how do I use them

They pretty much just help you turn better at the cost of more drag. They also lower your stall speed when landing. And generate more lift when taking off so you can do it in a shorter distance than you would without them - which is useful when your plane has to get the gently caress in the air because a tree or building is at the end of the runway.

You don't want to use them while going fast or they'll break off and if you keep them extended it will be unbalanced and make your plane fly all wonky.

Flaps are really only useful if you want to min/max your flying to the point of being a nerdy cyber-ace and are totally unnecessary in not only this cartoon videogame, but pretty much all flight sims. But if you do bother to master them, it can totally save you when caught in a dogfight against a plane that would normally out maneuver you because your plane can be pushed to its limits. A good example of this is 109s vs La5s.

The only time they're really needed is when you're taking off with a heavily loaded plane in combined arms or from a carrier.

MrOnBicycle posted:

They really need to fix the model draw system asap. Getting shot by an invisible tank from exactly where you are looking is just bullshit.

Sometimes when you're flying around over dense cities like Berlin the buildings will fade in and out really close to you showing two entirely different maps overlapping. But this only matters when you're trying to fly between buildings which is something that should never happen during normal gameplay unless you're about to die already or you are the master cyber-ace of the Po-2.

Geisladisk posted:

The Bf-110 owns bones in tier 1 ground matches. The 20mm can hurt most tanks it sees, and having dual 20mms at tier 1 is insane. Oh, and it can also carry a bunch of bombs.

Yeah, it's cool but it can get pretty rough for them sometimes because they can get into Era II games which is where most experienced players do their seal-clubbing. I was flying a Corsair the other day and it was against a team of mostly 110s with like one 190/109 and it was just like shooting fish in a barrel because they are too slow to defend against BnZ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1-hbhlorwo&hd=1

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

The Mustang is a fine carrier aircraft. The only plane that's better at carrier operations is the twin Mustang!

Every time I get a new plane this is the first thing I try to do.

TheBlobThing posted:

Interesting.

Que the playground bullies LAME posting that gif of pilots taking meticulous notes.

Haha sorry, that stuff is cool in a trivial way but when people try to apply that to gameplay its like 'lol NO, when i click my mouse actually what's happening is really because of some numbers a video game developer that probably sits at a computer all day but doesn't work for NASA has typed into a program and not real life physics'. When you see gameplay reflecting something that's supposed to be realistic, often times the actual mechanics behind it are totally bullshit just to create the effect. Though maybe we should totally encourage memorizing Wikipedia quotes to justify gameplay because it always leads to the point where a player will get Rossmum-mad when something doesn't reflect an unverified internet article they read and post an essay about their confirmation biases instead of just respawning and shooting stuff in a different way.

Azure Renraku posted:

I might hit up the Tennessee Museum of Aviation later because I'm bored and have nothing to do at the moment. I'll take some pics of their lovely jug.

Take pics of any cool noseart/paintjobs you see too! :allears:

Thief fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 2, 2014

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

MrOnBicycle posted:

They really need to fix the model draw system asap. Getting shot by an invisible tank from exactly where you are looking is just bullshit.

I was taking fire yesterday from a german SPAA and it was popping in and out of existence during its bursts. Even the shots would disappear but I'd still get hit indicators from it.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

I think my biggest complaint about CA so far is the performance issues in planes. My card is a little on the old side, but it's kinda ridiculous that the minute I bring the tank arena into view my framerate goes all to hell. Obviously there's valid reasons behind it but I'll be goddamned if I'm going to turn my graphics down :colbert:.

Also now that I've been stuck on the KV-2 for longer than any other tank, I'm beginning to lose my bright-eyed enjoyment of that huge fuckoff howitzer. Sure, it's cool to blow anything and everything up in one shot 100% of the time, but the wait time between shots is murder. After a while, the novelty of being a toothless shell-sponge wears off, y'know?

Also gently caress I'm so bad at planes :cripes:. I'm also frustrated because on one hand I can vaguely handle RB planes, but hate RB tank nameplates. On the other hand, sim tanks is awesome but sim planes is so absurdly painful that it's not even worth it for me. [/rant]

Actual real question: in sim planes, how do you go about acquiring targets? I've only really been using the LaGG-something (same BR as the KV-2) but distant dots are hard enough to acquire as-is and the cockpit blocks out half my view. I've tried rolling and looking up to get a bit better field of view, but that's obviously tough to sustain.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

ChickenWing posted:

Actual real question: in sim planes, how do you go about acquiring targets? I've only really been using the LaGG-something (same BR as the KV-2) but distant dots are hard enough to acquire as-is and the cockpit blocks out half my view. I've tried rolling and looking up to get a bit better field of view, but that's obviously tough to sustain.

That's just how it is, man. You get used to it but it's always hardmode. A TrackIR helps a lot because you can move your head around to check around your blindspots and generally minimize them. I'm stuck using a mouse for this in my left hand because the hat switch isn't as fast or reliable. I still use the hat switch sometimes but it's rather inefficient.

After a while you get used to just staring at the loving world and picking out that 1 pixel that isn't moving uniformly with it. You can either fly low to spot people easier in the sky because silhouettes but put yourself at a disadvantage... or you can fly high and be limited to your instincts but have a maneuvering advantage. Sim battles involve a lot of trial an error. A lot of diving on targets then breaking off to reset because the angles just didn't add up that time. A lot of losing a target and frantically searching to find them again before even getting to attack. It's not unusual for a sim dogfight to end in both players running out of ammo and either ramming each other or loving off back to base to reload and fight another day.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

You don't truly appreciate a plane like the P-47 until you fly it in a sim battle and actually use all 3,400 of your loving bullets and RTB with bullet holes in your cockpit.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Is this the unluckiest T50 ever?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ludicro posted:

Maybe he still has one or several high-tier planes in his lineup. I made the same mistake when I started on the russian line with that reserve tank while still having an Il-2M and Yak-9T in mine :downs:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Ludicro posted:

Lucky or not he's about to be the saddest T-50 ever.

That or you'll pen straight through his radiator or something and he'll get away scot free because you didn't have HE loaded

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

CA is a bit strange in that regard. I really don't give a poo poo about tanks, aside from blowing them to hell from above. It's unfortunate that the game forces me to take up a spot on the team with my lovely tanks because I want to fly my Yak-9t or P-47 but do not have anything past Era I on the ground to match it.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Teal posted:

It's just that neither vertical landing nor takeoff are regularly done as the maneuver costs a shitton of fuel (and presumably isn't even possible with full payload (and maybe not even full fuel load?)) so it's heavily uneconomical.

:spergin: Here but it's not fuel but water being the primary reason they don't do it frequently. Whenever a harrier initiates a vertical take off it dumps water into the high pressure turbine to prevent it from seizing up. However they only carry enough water for around a minute of hovering before they fry the engine.

Overall it's a poo poo aircraft that can't do a loving thing right and a 1/3 of the US inventory has been lost from various crashes and the plane being loving terrible.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Teeter posted:

CA is a bit strange in that regard. I really don't give a poo poo about tanks, aside from blowing them to hell from above. It's unfortunate that the game forces me to take up a spot on the team with my lovely tanks because I want to fly my Yak-9t or P-47 but do not have anything past Era I on the ground to match it.

They really should have a way of separating tonks and skytonks (I don't care what you say it's a fantastic not-name). Something like each match having x planes and x tanks, and you can queue with just a plane or just a tank and still get put in the same CA battles as the guy with one of each. I want to do RB CA with just planes and not nerf my team because they're one dude short. Similarly, Sim Tanks and not planes, although that's less of a nerf because it's not like the skytonks are any use in sim anyways :v:

skytonks skytonks skytonks

:3:

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Bolow posted:

Overall it's a poo poo aircraft that can't do a loving thing right and a 1/3 of the US inventory has been lost from various crashes and the plane being loving terrible.

Still a better aircraft than the F-35

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
http://warthunder.com/en/news/630/current

:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

quote:

The official release of War Thunder in North and South America is planned for this Tuesday, June 3rd (Wednesday night in Europe).

If you are already playing the European version of the game using your American PSN account, please DO NOT download and login to American version of War Thunder untill update 1.41 is installed on the European server. Otherwise your progress may be lost.

Just continue playing on European server, and when the 1.41 goes live in Europe, you can install American version and retain all of your progress.
:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

Don't switch to the US server if you play with a PS4, or bad things may happen :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Fumble posted:

My bindings never save, Do I need to export them and import the file every time I start the game? The default bindings for my joystick are a bit dumb and if I forget the game likes to bitch at me for not having other guns bound at the start of the round.

In addition to what Thief says, Windows attaches USB devices randomly, so the button assignments can move if you have a few USB devices. I save a profile for each attachment level, so I can switch between them (hopefully before hitting the ground/accelerating off the runway) fairly quickly.

YellerBill posted:

Still a better aircraft than the F-35

Actually has kills to it's name as well, which is fairly impressive. Of course, there is comparing an aircraft from 2 different centuries for wildly different regimes and doctrine; I'd like to see the F-35 operate from an FoB that is under chemical and biological attack.

Bolow posted:

:spergin: Here but it's not fuel but water being the primary reason they don't do it frequently. Whenever a harrier initiates a vertical take off it dumps water into the high pressure turbine to prevent it from seizing up. However they only carry enough water for around a minute of hovering before they fry the engine.

Thats a 90 second *coolant* water supply at *full rate* which they don't need to do, and I've watched harriers hovering for far longer at airshows. It's not 'dumping' the water any more than your car 'shits water into the engine'.

If you want to complain about the harrier, it's low speed handling is utter poo poo, it's vulnerable during transition and the weapons payload is *severely* compromised if you need VTOL and it used to be ramp launched as a preference, but the biggest problem is that it's role disappeared with the concept of the Western European Ground Theater and air launched munitions, along with the idea that there would be a desparate guerilla retrograde battle. We lost the Lynx for many of the same reasons, and the Apache being such a beast.

Hav fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 2, 2014

• Locked thread