Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Benny the Snake posted:

That's good advice. I'll keep "sales experience" on my resume and if asked, I'll answer that I've personally sold items on those sites. That way I can avoid talking about my previous job and still maintain that I have sales experience.

That's not sales experience. You could try to use it as a basis for proving you can write descriptions for items and maybe ad copy but even that is quite a stretch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Tipps posted:

Interviewer: "What kind of things did you sell?"

What will you answer, Benny?
Books, DVD's, video games, etc.

afterhours
Jul 1, 2007
Saying that you have sales experience from selling your used poo poo on ebay/craigslist is like saying you have management experience from leading raids in your WoW guild.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

afterhours posted:

Saying that you have sales experience from selling your used poo poo on ebay/craigslist is like saying you have management experience from leading raids in your WoW guild.

Another great idea for Benny!

i am he
Feb 4, 2014

benny have you heard of star citizen?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Xenocides posted:

That's not sales experience. You could try to use it as a basis for proving you can write descriptions for items and maybe ad copy but even that is quite a stretch.

Exactly. When you tell people you have 'sales experience', and then tell them you once sold some video games on Ebay, they're going to laugh in your face.

Benny, at this point, what is your goal? What do you want to do? You can't even hold down the most menial of jobs. Surely there must be some sort of government assistance you can apply for. At least the money would help out your family who are still having to support you.

Out of interest, what was your Mom's reaction when you were fired from this latest job?

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jun 2, 2014

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Bardeh posted:

Benny, at this point, what is your goal? What do you want to do?

Benny the Snake posted:

I've been thinking of doing a Kickstarter for a collection of my short stories that I've written here for Thunderdome. Sort of like an anthology of sorts. Maybe call it "Tales from the Thunderdome" If I don't get enough money from the Kickstarter I can just use what I did get for my teeth.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
Tooth fairy money is not a stable source of income.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Er... Benny, you don't need any money to self-publish. You can do that absolutely free (or very close to it).

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Benny it's time to go to the mall and find a military recruiter.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

TheReverend posted:

To quote myself from about a year ago:

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

Bardeh posted:

Exactly. When you tell people you have 'sales experience', and then tell them you once sold some video games on Ebay, they're going to laugh in your face.

That's what I was implying by my question.

When I was a kid I worked the furniture department at Staples. I had sales experience because I was a salesman. Putting stuff on ebay isn't sales experience, it's knowing how to use a computer.

If Benny is going to say he has sales experience, he better be ready to back that up with a credible answer to "what did you sell?" that isn't "my comic books over craigslist". People read sales experience and they think retail, door-to-door, or even call center work - all of which are more respectable than "I sold some games on ebay once".

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

ugh stop giving benny advice. he's going to ignore it or gently caress it up anyway.

he should really think about disability, because he is just unemployable. he's lazy, slow, and does stupid poo poo and things stupid things because he has diagnosed psychosis.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

You don't get money from Kickstarter unless the project is fully funded. Just having that post floating around gives people an excuse to report your KS as an attempt to scam people.

AND self-publishing online is 100% free (unless you want to pay someone to design a cover, or need to buy rights to a stock photo for the cover or something I guess? But a stock photo's like five bucks, depending where you get it, so ... yeah.)

My bad if that's a fakepost/parody, I honestly can't tell anymore.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

crabrock posted:

ugh stop giving benny advice. he's going to ignore it or gently caress it up anyway.

he should really think about disability, because he is just unemployable. he's lazy, slow, and does stupid poo poo and things stupid things because he has diagnosed psychosis.

agreed. he may actually be "retarded" under some spectrum of that word. he has an "invisible disability" that is actually way more visible than most invisible disabilities on SA that "prevent people from working." I've met plenty of people who are just lazy and don't want to work who use fake mental issues as excuses to not work, but following this thread and interacting with Benny in Thunderdome has convinced me that he actually would be better off to just live off disability for the rest of his life. If he can hold volunteer jobs and write for fun or something, that is cool, but he's never really going to contribute to the economy.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

TheReverend posted:

There is a zero percent chance Benny would be accepted into any branch of the US military atm. They are cutting thousands of active duty they aren't going to pick up an obese dude who has never held a job pretty much and still lives at home with his parents in his 20s.

crabrock posted:

I agree with all of this. Benny you are the person disability is designed to help.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I dunno I was watching some movie on HBO once where there was a fat guy in boot camp who wasn't very good at anything, but he eventually became a good shot and starting making progress, I had to leave before the movie ended so I'm not sure what happened, but it seemed like it was showing that with proper training even fuckups can become successful professional killers

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

systran posted:

I dunno I was watching some movie on HBO once where there was a fat guy in boot camp who wasn't very good at anything, but he eventually became a good shot and starting making progress, I had to leave before the movie ended so I'm not sure what happened, but it seemed like it was showing that with proper training even fuckups can become successful professional killers

He shot the drill instructor then took his own life in the latrine. We've already been down this road.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Queen Elizatits posted:

There is a zero percent chance Benny would be accepted into any branch of the US military atm. They are cutting thousands of active duty they aren't going to pick up an obese dude who has never held a job pretty much and still lives at home with his parents in his 20s.

I agree with all of this. Benny you are the person disability is designed to help.

I agree. Get on disability. I was going to be mean, but I don't know if it would actually have any effect to motivate any action, one way or another.

Just accept that you failed and you can try again next time as a pig or a bird or something.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

systran posted:

Was it Stripes? If yes I change my answer to Benny you should do your own reality show in the military based on Stripes

i am he
Feb 4, 2014

Man people seem to fall for fake Benny quotes a lot, makes ya think

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

systran posted:

This is such a loving good post if it's doing what I think it's doing

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Isn't it a pretty high bar to get on disability in the U.S.? I mean a young relative of mine had a stroke during birth and they fought for years. And she literally can't walk well, much less work.

4th Asclepiadean
Feb 18, 2012

i am he posted:

Man people seem to fall for fake Benny quotes a lot, makes ya think

I was just about to say how I really doubt that he said that.
C'mon guys. He's not *that* thick. He's just very incompetent.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
Honestly, people cheering on "get disability" do you draw the line anywhere? Would anything qualify as "disabled" in your opinion? At what point does "bootstraps" become valid?

It's not even that he doesn't know how. He simply doesn't do. Like, he hasn't even attempted to google around for a number to call, in regards to healthcare and you think he deserves disability money?

Is this what it's come down to?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

4th Asclepiadean posted:

I was just about to say how I really doubt that he said that.
C'mon guys. He's not *that* thick. He's just very incompetent.

This is the guy who thought that telling his employer he had a hangover was a good fake excuse. The guy who got fired from a job pushing shopping carts. The guy who couldn't even grill some vegetables according to instructions, and hit his employer's wife in the head with a frying pan. The guy who makes weird grammatical errors constantly, yet has a degree in English.

This is more than mere incompetence. There isn't even a word for what Benny is.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

Bardeh posted:

This is the guy who thought that telling his employer he had a hangover was a good fake excuse. The guy who got fired from a job pushing shopping carts. The guy who couldn't even grill some vegetables according to instructions, and hit his employer's wife in the head with a frying pan. The guy who makes weird grammatical errors constantly, yet has a degree in English.

This is more than mere incompetence. There isn't even a word for what Benny is.

Actually, I think incompetent fits pretty well.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Benny on disability would be a travesty

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

cname posted:

Honestly, people cheering on "get disability" do you draw the line anywhere? Would anything qualify as "disabled" in your opinion? At what point does "bootstraps" become valid?

It's not even that he doesn't know how. He simply doesn't do. Like, he hasn't even attempted to google around for a number to call, in regards to healthcare and you think he deserves disability money?

I think most of us are just joking that Benny is literally that helpless that he should get disability. He wouldn't get it, he is just a lazy shithead.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

cname posted:

If I came in here calling him a poor retard that should bootstrap himself into the capitalist system, people would call me a troll.

It would not be entirely unjustified, mind you, but it would be 100% true. Benny's parents may have failed him, and vice versa.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

If I were the dictator of a 10,000 person society, and part of my duties were to assign work to everyone, I would put Benny on disability. Using this thread as evidence, I would assume that any job I assigned him would just create problems and slow down the efficiency of those working around him, and when they had to recommend I fire him, it would waste my time. Basically I would assume that everyone just subsidizing his existence would create a smaller hit to the economy than trying to find something worthwhile for him to do.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

systran posted:

If I were the dictator of a 10,000 person society, and part of my duties were to assign work to everyone, I would put Benny on disability. Using this thread as evidence, I would assume that any job I assigned him would just create problems and slow down the efficiency of those working around him, and when they had to recommend I fire him, it would waste my time. Basically I would assume that everyone just subsidizing his existence would create a smaller hit to the economy than trying to find something worthwhile for him to do.

I'd become a 9,999 person society and build a loving fence to keep him out.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JakeP posted:

I'd become a 9,999 person society and build a loving fence to keep him out.

I would experiment on him.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Magnus Gallant posted:

Benny try working at a gas station. I promise you won't be fired. Either that or try mcdonalds.

I worked at a gas station. It was easy. Last time I was there, my old co-workers told me about a guy who comes in high sometimes and once, while drooling, tried to give someone $40 in change instead of $2.

That individual still works there.

Benny, get a job at a gas station.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Accretionist posted:

I worked at a gas station. It was easy. Last time I was there, my old co-workers told me about a guy who comes in high sometimes and once, while drooling, tried to give someone $40 in change instead of $2.

That individual still works there.

Benny, get a job at a gas station.

Apparently he tried:

Benny the Snake posted:

After a few minutes of filling this guy's tank, the pump kept shutting off for some reason. I didn't think he had gotten enough gas, so I figured I'd put in some more. Every time I squeezed the handle, it would stop again after a few seconds. Finally I wrapped it in duct tape and went to wash his windows...

Even if that is fake, I can totally see it being real.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

I'm not joking. He's mentally ill and clinically diagnosed as "lost touch with reality." Encouraging him to continue "trying hard" is only going to result in more failure and wasting everybody else's time.

At this point it's probably more about harm reduction than having him contribute.

He should collect disability and learn how to help take care of his parents by going out and buying groceries and driving them to medical appts. That will save the tax payers more in the long run than his family is likely to cost in the future.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

Even if that is fake, I can totally see it being real.

Its fake, but it is what would happen

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Queen Elizatits posted:

Oh really? That's too bad. I just suggested it because my step-brother reminds me of Benny. After failing at about everything (fast food jobs, school) he somehow got into the Navy.

This was about 9 months ago I think so maybe things have changed but I was floored when someone told me that he made it into the Navy. He even passed the equivalent of Navy basic training.

I just think Benny could do OK if someone was watching him 24/7 and breathing down his neck and holding him accountable for things. That's how I imagine the military is like but then again my military experience is buying groceries on base to save money as a college kid.

TheReverend fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 2, 2014

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I wont' put "sales experience" on my cover letters or my resume then. Thankfully I still have my original, untouched resume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Benny the Snake posted:

Thankfully I still have my original, untouched resume.

phew

• Locked thread