Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Pureauthor posted:

Boy, the 'Kill Lu Gong' objective in Wu Stage 1 really requires you to go for broke targetting him

It's still nothing on Wei's "Kill Tao Qian" objective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Maleketh posted:

It's still nothing on Wei's "Kill Tao Qian" objective.

Not impossible as long as you don't get bogged down, even on a standard horse. Hit your objectives, when he starts really running, use all your musou on horse charge, don't stop unless you have to. You should make it to him with a little distance to spare. This was with Dian Wei. Didn't have good weapons, either.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
You can actually still get the objective for that when he's like in the enemy camp too, which is kind of nice. He has to be off the map entirely for it to fail.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Well, I kind of spent like 5 hours straight wrecking Ambition Mode, and I only have one question: Is spending 500 gems to level a weapon's attack ever going to be worth it? Like, I have several thousand gems at this point, but that's such a high cost compared to everything else for just one attack strength that it seems like it'd still be too much, especially considering I'm pretty much destroying everything already.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Hakkesshu posted:

Well, I kind of spent like 5 hours straight wrecking Ambition Mode, and I only have one question: Is spending 500 gems to level a weapon's attack ever going to be worth it? Like, I have several thousand gems at this point, but that's such a high cost compared to everything else for just one attack strength that it seems like it'd still be too much, especially considering I'm pretty much destroying everything already.

I guess if you already get your god stat weapons and need something to dump gems on because you for some reason like to do Ambition mode then it would be worth it but otherwise I wouldn't mess with it.

ExMortis
Feb 14, 2012

Let's RUNNING!! :ussr:

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, eventually you can just buy levels in Ambition mode, but I haven't gotten anyone close to level 150 so I don't know how much it would end up costing.

Is there any kind of supposed barely noticeably worse stat progression on bought rather than earned levels like people were saying Orochi 3 had? I'm not really at a point where I'm trying to powerlevel anyone but sometimes I use the academy to bring someone right to the brink of leveling just in case.

Bloodly posted:

Of course, after that there's outright buying stat boosts for even MORE power.

Is that an academy rank thing or is the "upgrade" food from the teahouse actually permanent stat boosts?

Gzuz-Kriced
Sep 27, 2000
Master of Spoo
I assume this has been mentioned, but the thread is pretty large and I wasn't able to find it. I know the PC version is based on the PS3 version, but I'm assuming it doesn't suffer from the same slowdown (like during any level with fire), correct?

Sounds like there's still the same amount of pop-in on the pc version too, which is a bit of a disappointment. I've been thinking of getting a PS4 later this year - does the ps4 version have less pop-in? Or is it just a prettier/smoother experience?

I own DW8 ps3 but I'm thinking about getting the enhanced edition after my hard drive died, killing 50ish hours worth of playing. Not sure I want to go through that again in the regular game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Can't speak for the PC version, but on PS4 everything looks sharper and they throw tons of enemies on screen at once but the frame rate can be variable (though it's still higher than any of the last gen versions).

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

ExMortis posted:

Is that an academy rank thing or is the "upgrade" food from the teahouse actually permanent stat boosts?

Academy Rank thing. You can buy permanent health boosts, attack boosts, defence boosts. 12,000 per one. So basically you can max out any character just like the old days of farming swords or shields or the max health +10 buns. Want to turn Xiao Qiao into Lu Bu++? You can.

...Just got the Wu Hypothetical. Very nice, very reasonable.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Gzuz-Kriced posted:

I assume this has been mentioned, but the thread is pretty large and I wasn't able to find it. I know the PC version is based on the PS3 version, but I'm assuming it doesn't suffer from the same slowdown (like during any level with fire), correct?

Sounds like there's still the same amount of pop-in on the pc version too, which is a bit of a disappointment. I've been thinking of getting a PS4 later this year - does the ps4 version have less pop-in? Or is it just a prettier/smoother experience?

I own DW8 ps3 but I'm thinking about getting the enhanced edition after my hard drive died, killing 50ish hours worth of playing. Not sure I want to go through that again in the regular game.

It's been smooth as hell for me. When it does slow down, it does that slow motion slowing like the console Warriors games do, rather than the more abrupt stuttery-feeling framedrops that many PC games get when the framerate drops. Overall though, extremely smooth, even with a shitload of dudes on screen.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Haha, that tip about doing Lu Bu's story mode last doesn't really factor Ambition Mode into the equation, because I went straight to that after beating Wei and now I've got rare level 4 weapons for almost all characters. I guess I can just play on hard, though!

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 31, 2014

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

I think story mode is actually pretty great on hard mode with low level guys and 3 or 4 star weapons. Ive done Wei, Wu and am 4 levels into Shu and i like the way its done in this but i miss the old DW5 way where you chose a characters story to follow instead of a faction.

Gzuz-Kriced
Sep 27, 2000
Master of Spoo

Shima Honnou posted:

It's been smooth as hell for me. When it does slow down, it does that slow motion slowing like the console Warriors games do, rather than the more abrupt stuttery-feeling framedrops that many PC games get when the framerate drops. Overall though, extremely smooth, even with a shitload of dudes on screen.

Excellent to hear. The game slowing to a crawl during any level with fire on the ps3 made us (I pretty much only play coop) go through them as quick as possible which is not normally how we play.

Gzuz-Kriced fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jun 1, 2014

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dunno what it is about that fire effect but it's usually what causes the PS4 framerate to tank as well, though nowhere near as bad as on PS3.

Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Dunno what it is about that fire effect but it's usually what causes the PS4 framerate to tank as well, though nowhere near as bad as on PS3.

You should see it on the Vita. It's downright absurd.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Kly posted:

I think story mode is actually pretty great on hard mode with low level guys and 3 or 4 star weapons. Ive done Wei, Wu and am 4 levels into Shu and i like the way its done in this but i miss the old DW5 way where you chose a characters story to follow instead of a faction.

DW5 did it okay but the problem was that it reused a lot of levels, and especially for the Other faction, it was like the same four levels after the initial unique level for each one. I really do prefer the way DW7 did it.

DW4's was the worst though hands down.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I got this earlier this week and I'm going through Wu's story now.

Han Dang is the best character. I love the transition between his relaxed face and angry face during his Musou attack. :allears:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Han Dang? Who's that? I don't think I remember him. :v:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

I want to like him, but he comes off as whiny. I can't blame him, he's surrounded by fan favorites. Even so. "Stop getting all the attention!" SHUT UP. Your whole deal is 'you get the job done'. So get it done.

Then again, all the officers get whiny under AI. They're so quick to struggle, so quick to die. And yet they self-cure if you actually manage to get to them. WHich I suppose is nice. I just wish it wasn't so...all-or-nothing.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jun 1, 2014

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Han and the rest of the Guan children seem pretty natural compared to whatever two Wei Officers that join at the beginning of Huo Lao Gate. They're just "Hey, we're joining you Cao Cao" and then never really become relevant.

quote:

Then again, all the officers get whiny under AI. They're so quick to struggle, so quick to die. And yet they self-cure if you actually manage to get to them. WHich I suppose is nice. I just wish it wasn't so...all-or-nothing.

The AI is a fickle thing. I've had Chen Gong on the last hypothetical Lu Bu stage solo Liu Bei and Zhang Fei somehow while I was trying to rescue him.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Tae posted:

The AI is a fickle thing. I've had Chen Gong on the last hypothetical Lu Bu stage solo Liu Bei and Zhang Fei somehow while I was trying to rescue him.

I think if you play that stage normally your Morale should be soaring by that point, so it's no surprise.

Even funnier when Lu Bu goes 'There's no way Chen Gong is a match for Guan Yu and Zhang Fei, I should go save him' and then he beats all of them before you even reach that spot.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

Bloodly posted:

I want to like him, but he comes off as whiny. I can't blame him, he's surrounded by fan favorites. Even so. "Stop getting all the attention!" SHUT UP. Your whole deal is 'you get the job done'. So get it done.

Personally, I think Han Dang's "no one remembers me" gimmick is a result of the minor outcry from the Japanese fanbase back when he was revealed. Many fans ranted that he apparently looked "generic" and "like an NPC" whilst others were mad that he was included rather than the more famous and requested Cheng Pu.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Cheng Pu always seems to get obliterated really fast during missions so he can gently caress right off. :colbert:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Cheng Poo

DoublePLayer
May 6, 2008

by Shine
I was finally able to buy DW8 through Steam, but I can't seem to launch it. It only shows a Steam dialog box saying that an error 51 occurred. I have no clue what that means and I can't find anything through Google either.

I just want to decimate entire armies. :(

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Twelve by Pies posted:

DW4's was the worst though hands down.

I can't disagree. But at the same time...

I disliked the hoops jumped through to earn stages, which characters may be tied to. But in a sense it's no different from what they're pulling in 8 with the hypotheticals and the kingdom focus. And there were minorly interesting scenarios(Dong Zhuo surviving often has you fight him again alongside Nanman. Dong Zhou on an elephant.)

Did like that they at least tried to give Yellow Turbans and Nanman a full 'conquer the land' bit. And Lu Bu, of course.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

DoublePLayer posted:

I was finally able to buy DW8 through Steam, but I can't seem to launch it. It only shows a Steam dialog box saying that an error 51 occurred. I have no clue what that means and I can't find anything through Google either.

I just want to decimate entire armies. :(

How about trying to repair your files?

Does anyone have any tips for Ambition Mode XL, namely, how to prevent your officers from dying? I got Yuan Shao and he got beat the second time I sent him out :(

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Don't send people you want to keep out, or keep them as bodyguards where even if they die they won't become free officers and need fetching from the old stages.

God, that sounds snide, but there's little else for it. At the very least it shouldn't be too hard to get him back-as noted he'll be in the old stages.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Schneider Heim posted:

Does anyone have any tips for Ambition Mode XL, namely, how to prevent your officers from dying? I got Yuan Shao and he got beat the second time I sent him out :(

Not really. However named officers are garaunteed to show up in the original ambition mode once they get defeated on your side in XL ambition mode so if you lose some people just go do a 20 second regular ambition mode level to get one unique officer and a handful of generics that you've lost.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Yeah, I don't really get why Cheng Pu remains generic. Wasn't he basically Sun Jian's chief of staff?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Schneider Heim posted:

Officers seem really fragile, even on lower difficulty levels. Once I got the achievements for subjugating a place in 2 battles I've only been doing low difficulty runs, because you need to do the battles 3-4 times anyway to get all the officers out of them anyway. It helps a little bit, but you can still run into situations where everything seems fine and then 5 guys all rout before you can react.

DoublePLayer
May 6, 2008

by Shine

Schneider Heim posted:

Shoot, should've mentioned I tried that. No dice.

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
Edit: Nevermind, got it to work. Let the pursuing BEGIN.

ZoninSilver fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 2, 2014

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Lu Su is a Cool Dude and I wish he showed up more.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

did i do something wrong or are you really just supposed to fight every playable wu and shu officer during the defense of shangyong xtreme legends jin mission? i was playing on hard and didnt have a super weapon for xiahou ba so it was kind of ridiculous, a lot of fun, but ridiculous

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Pureauthor posted:

Lu Su is a Cool Dude and I wish he showed up more.

This is why i really dug the DW5 story mode, if you liked a dude you could play his story mode and get a bunch more exposition about them. Even if you ended up playing the same levels over and over (like you end up doing in all these games anyway) it was pretty cool.

Kly fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jun 2, 2014

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
How much more Lu Su do you want? He's probably the most shown Wu officer out of the 3 storylines.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

did i do something wrong or are you really just supposed to fight every playable wu and shu officer during the defense of shangyong xtreme legends jin mission?

I forget which one that is, but that's typically what happens when you fail out of the mission's plot path.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
One of the little things I like in the story mode is how mission objectives can change depending on which character you're playing as, usually whenever they decide to do a pincer attack, so you either end up as the distraction or the sneak attack. Gives replaying stages a bit more variety compared to earlier games where you just ended up doing everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

This also means hunting down hypotheticals is a case of the right character in the right place at the right time, though. The plot will object to you being in the wrong place.

...Much like DW4.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 2, 2014