Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
Does this game have a memory leak? After a certain amount of playtime, it often crashes and Windows says it doesn't have enough memory. Considering I've got 8 Gigs of Ram, and 2 Gigs of Vram, this seems a little off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
How much playtime? I have the same specs and have had it running for 3-4 hours without a crash.

I suspect you have your page file disabled. With WD running for a while my system is at about 90% memory use, so without a page file I could easily see it running out of physical memory and crashing.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 2, 2014

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Sindai posted:

EDIT: Can you shoot a grenade out of the air or an enemy's hand using focus? I keep meaning to try it and then forgetting when I'm actually in a fight. I did try shooting a guy while he was trying to save himself from a hacked grenade, hoping to force him to drop it at his feet, but sadly the animation seems to be uninterruptible.

Yes. I just tested this. It's pretty hilarious.

Calidar
Mar 23, 2014
This is what I'm looking at right now.

e: Turns out this is what happens when you don't update your graphics drivers for 3 months. Game runs fine now. :doh:

Calidar fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 2, 2014

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Reminds me of Syndicate and how you could hack the grenades in it. I don't have the in-game encyclopedia fluff on hand right now, but I think the explanation is that electronic grenades that could be wirelessly controlled for various purposes had superseded standard mechanical or pyrotechnic fuses, with the tradeoff that someone with the right tech at hand could hack them.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

Meowbot posted:

I really don't get how people aren't thinking this game is a god drat blast.

I'm part way into Act III and I'm loving this game. I was almost scared off by all the negativity, especially reviews saying its "uninspired" or whatever. I keep finding little things in this game that amaze me. GTA always felt like this really cool piece of technology that was built for 13 year olds who think crime and the f-word are like, super cool. I like that this game makes you want to not be a complete psychopath usually.

I dig the hacking puzzles way more than I thought I would. Mission variety is really good. I love the driving too, its the first game like this where I don't feel like a 10 year old who stole his dad's car for a joyride and have no idea what I'm doing. Combat is a million times better than the last GTA game I played (which was IV, maybe its gotten better since then).

On the negatives, the graphics are a little so-so except for certain areas, and at night. The AI is a little easy to get around - I keep trying to stealth every mission but honestly just popping someone in the head and then wiping out all the enemies is much easier, but still fun. The story is really hard to follow in the beginning but its better just not to focus too much on it. And I've hit a couple bugs, one of which has me stuck where I finished a mission and it won't unlock the next one. And the street hacking stuff (steam pipes, traffic signals, etc) aren't nearly as "emergent gameplay!" as that first trailer made it seem. They are basically just bombs laying around that you can trigger if you want. But overall I love this game.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Fuzz posted:

That was less the reason and more that Chicago is one of the few American cities that has street blockers and drawbridges in it, which thus gives a nice mechanic for the hacking poo poo. I think that's literally the only reason the game is set in Chicago... it'd be boring if that bridge skill could only be used on that one bridge that connects that one spot to another spot and nowhere else, like, you know, every other city with a drawbridge.

I've lived here for ten years and have never seen street blockers like in the game.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I think there are a few here and there but they are definitely becoming more common in the world. (Retractable bollards I mean)

edit: haha https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_Cw0QJU8ro Skip to 30 seconds for the laughs

beejay fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 2, 2014

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything

coyo7e posted:

Had a few successes today being invaded, by sitting around hacking every pedestrian until I hit up a blume affiliate, and then just busting rear end to the edge of a river or somewhere with no NPCs around. I've noticed that you very much do not get warned about being invaded for a good bit - either until a certain time has passed, until you're marked, or until you damage the player.. Not sure if it's one or all of these mixed together however I had a guy go careening over my head in a car and I put a few rounds into him and got a "you are being invaded", while another one did essentially the same thing and then drove past me and somehow successfully pulled off a hacking start. The second guy didn't give me a warning until he began hacking me (after he'd driven off to a densely-packed urban area a good 200 meters away).

I've noticed that if you try to start an invasion, you WILL get notified you're being invaded, even if the other player is nowhere near you.

If you don't, it sometimes you get a notification as your phone gets hacked, other times you get a notification as the data theft initiates. I'm not 100% sure what stipulates the latter 2, but I do love chain invading people and then being notified as SOON as someone enter's my game. Having a high vantage point and taking the ONLY camera available that can either A. See you or B. see the camera that CAN see you is great. ID them before they ID you... or simply have your bullets ID them.

Most people are too stupid to initiate hacks in "decent places" I know I had no choice the other day and hacked someone near the water's edge by a roof-top party house. I hid on a single pillar by the water that had a mid-centered fence that allowed me to utilize 2/5 of the left and right side of the pillar and the entire opposing side. I literally stayed on that pillar the entire time. The player would run within inches of me, and look at his phone for a few seconds. At one point he jumped the fence and I hugged the left portion while he was on the right. Didn't see me so he kept running circles around the little area. Sometimes bad situations happen, but we have to try to make the best out of nothing.

Calaveron posted:

Seeing how important and vital Aiden's cellphone is, you'd think he'd be using something other than an iPhone 3

Or iPhone, period.

Calidar posted:

This is what I'm looking at right now.

e: Turns out this is what happens when you don't update your graphics drivers for 3 months. Game runs fine now. :doh:

That's errily reminiscent of Assassin's Creed.

the truth posted:

I've lived here for ten years and have never seen street blockers like in the game.

Not in the hood now, are we?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Yeah, I have family in Chicago and went there every other weekend and I don't recall a single electronic bollard ever. I also like the hilly mountainside directly outside of Chicago, complete with timber and an electric dam. :v:

Pawnee is supposed to be in a completely different region, right? Because Chicago is flat as hell. The only area that I can recall being that close to Chicago would be the Wisconsin Dells.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Ironsolid posted:

Not in the hood now, are we?

I guess I'm technically on the south side, but I can see Madison from my window.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Had an instance where the game was being glitchy and the traffic lights were all pre-hacked with wrecks happening everywhere. Started recording it toward the middle (roughly 2:30 in) I run across a hacker on a motorcycle and a pretty decent chase ensues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8zz-XYb6jY

After I edited it in the PS4 Share Factory thing I realized I had the blackout equipped at the end and probably could've caught them, but the ending was sorta cinematic as-is.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Vanderdeath posted:

Yeah, I have family in Chicago and went there every other weekend and I don't recall a single electronic bollard ever. I also like the hilly mountainside directly outside of Chicago, complete with timber and an electric dam. :v:

Pawnee is supposed to be in a completely different region, right? Because Chicago is flat as hell. The only area that I can recall being that close to Chicago would be the Wisconsin Dells.

The Pawnee mountains are totally ridiculous, but I grew up in a northern suburb of Chicago and the game area is rather reminiscent of northwest of Chicago, where there are lots of lakes and woods, even if it's still mostly flat. I certainly recognize it as upper Midwest lake country, at least.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Brightman posted:

Had an instance where the game was being glitchy and the traffic lights were all pre-hacked with wrecks happening everywhere. Started recording it toward the middle (roughly 2:30 in) I run across a hacker on a motorcycle and a pretty decent chase ensues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8zz-XYb6jY

After I edited it in the PS4 Share Factory thing I realized I had the blackout equipped at the end and probably could've caught them, but the ending was sorta cinematic as-is.

I liked when you got in your car and then teleported through the roof. "I must go home now. My planet needs me"

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Lawnie posted:

The Pawnee mountains are totally ridiculous, but I grew up in a northern suburb of Chicago and the game area is rather reminiscent of northwest of Chicago, where there are lots of lakes and woods, even if it's still mostly flat. I certainly recognize it as upper Midwest lake country, at least.

And as I've noticed before, they either have to add in giant impassible mountains to indicate the edge of the map, make Chicago an island, or put in invisible walls that you can't move beyond, and we all know how well that last option goes over.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Crappy Jack posted:

And as I've noticed before, they either have to add in giant impassible mountains to indicate the edge of the map, make Chicago an island, or put in invisible walls that you can't move beyond, and we all know how well that last option goes over.

More games should just let you go out infinitely with tons of police on your rear end nonstop to where you won't survive for more than 1 minute if you go too far.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Michaellaneous posted:

Okay so what the gently caress. My machine is not weak, in any regards, but as soon as I start driving around the city, it starts to become an unplayable lagfest.

Are there any settings I miss, because I turned everything extrmely low, and it still stutters.

The thread is full of posts exactly like this, FYI.

Set pre-rendered frames to 1, turn off AA, turn textures down to medium/low.

If that doesn't fix it, wait/hope for a patch/driver to fix hardware issues.

ShredsYouSay posted:

Does this game have a memory leak? After a certain amount of playtime, it often crashes and Windows says it doesn't have enough memory. Considering I've got 8 Gigs of Ram, and 2 Gigs of Vram, this seems a little off.

Memory usage is totally stable for me. Definitely could be a leak, but be careful with the armchair debugging, unless you really know what you're talking about.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

:stare:

Some Players Are Hunting Down Minorities In Watch Dogs

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Just finished the game. Overall I liked bits of it more than other bits. The story was a mess of different directions and ideas trying to mingle, not all of them bad but much too little time was spent fleshing any of the interesting bits out.

It also felt like there was content missing in quite a lot of areas, while some chapters dragged on way too long with uninteresting stuff. I absolutely hated the already mentioned story bits everyone complained about like not helping Dedsec at the end without being given a choice at all while being given one for Maurice, not warning Clara during the hotel or figuring out she's got something to hide by her massive tells whenever some stuff gets mentioned, Jordi just popping out of nowhere to betray you (and somehow surviving falling off the lighthouse), Bedbug somehow surviving and being told who Rose is for no reason, and finally Poppy (and the whole auction bit) just being mentioned essentially in passing and being mostly resolved offscreen.

If it weren't for the many bugs and the sloppy execution in some areas I'd call it a really great game. As it is, the hype overshone the final product by far even if it had many memorable moments.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Make sure you have the most recent drivers. I had the same issue until I updated to the drivers that came out right before launch and it worked a lot better. It is just awful at continually loading in more of the city for some reason

Holy poo poo thank you, that actually fixed it.
Christ, the last time I fixed a problem by updating my graphic drivers...that was 8 years ago.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Eh, the first photo they put up looks like it came from 4chan, they are just doing it for shock value

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Michaellaneous posted:

Holy poo poo thank you, that actually fixed it.
Christ, the last time I fixed a problem by updating my graphic drivers...that was 8 years ago.

Guess you haven't played many PC games in the last 8 years because its a pretty common thing. PC gaming 101 is "game problem? update drivers. Still having a problem?"

Carmack had a whole thing at his last keynote where he went on and on about how much special-case logic there are in card drivers just to enable different hacks so different games play correctly.

If nothing else both NVidia and ATI are pretty good about pushing new driver builds which specifically target new game releases and see performance increases of ~20-30% FPS, so you're screwing yourself if you're not staying up to date.

That's why they have annoying update programs that try to get you to update your drivers every week now, like loving java.

Mr. WTF
Jun 12, 2003

I DON'T GET JOKES

coyo7e posted:

He has his hand encircling over half of her neck, with his thumb over her adam's apple.

Please don't ever tell me what you feel would be offensive behavior if you think that's totally cool to do to strange women in alleyways.

Um Coyo7e, have you ever touched a real girl's neck?

nitpicky I know...but I thought it was funny...maybe she was a tranny. Most of the girls in the game look like they have huge units anyway.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Fuzz posted:

Pretty much. Or Vancouver, I believe?

Would be pretty neat to hack Tower Bridge, though.

I was going over this bridge the other day and thinking Mr. Pearce would have a great time switching both sides to green in the middle lane.

Vancouver would be perfect for an open world game. Great varied geography, 25+ bridges, tons of ethnicities, even a really bad slum and a surprising amount of gang activity.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Mr. WTF posted:

Um Coyo7e, have you ever touched a real girl's neck?

nitpicky I know...but I thought it was funny...maybe she was a tranny. Most of the girls in the game look like they have huge units anyway.

Men and women have "Adam's Apples", they are just much more pronnounced in adult men. It is called the laryngeal prominence for both.

But go ahead, indulge us with your :biotruths: re: necks and trannies

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Fuzz posted:

But no, seriously, what? Is she credited or anything, because she has no spoken lines and it was random as gently caress just bumping into her.

She did work with Ubisoft at their E3 presentation as I recall.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Guess you haven't played many PC games in the last 8 years because its a pretty common thing. PC gaming 101 is "game problem? update drivers. Still having a problem?"

Carmack had a whole thing at his last keynote where he went on and on about how much special-case logic there are in card drivers just to enable different hacks so different games play correctly.

If nothing else both NVidia and ATI are pretty good about pushing new driver builds which specifically target new game releases and see performance increases of ~20-30% FPS, so you're screwing yourself if you're not staying up to date.

That's why they have annoying update programs that try to get you to update your drivers every week now, like loving java.

No I do play video games every day on my PC. But I guess I said that wrong - that was the only time I had to specifically fix a problem by doing that.
All the other times it was just on the side I guess.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Deviant posted:

She did work with Ubisoft at their E3 presentation as I recall.
I remember:

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!
I've been following the discussions on Pearce as to whether or not he is a Hero or a Thief and would like to say my piece on it.

He started of as a thief, the intro makes that clear, all he wanted was easy access to many in an untraceable way and he more than likely has history there hence the knowledge of Jordi and other fixers.

When the game starts he is still a thief but not for the sake of getting rich anymore, now its for the sake of getting revenge on the fact his niece died, but that's not really relevent to crook vs vigilante status. He is mostly a thief and plays in the same field as other career criminals, but you will notice that Aiden has a tendency to avoid doing violent crimes unless they directly relate to already criminal situations. He does everything hidden and as such nobody in the public knows that Aiden is a thief first and foremost because all he shows them is that he stops people from being shot/stabbed and that he kills/incapacitates criminals who do shoot and stab people. If as a player you blow up and shoot and kill civilians and are generally violent you will show as an anarchist because you are the same as the other Criminals except you are on the street visible for everyone to see but nobody to know.

He is not a cheap batman or anything of the sort, he is a man with some computer literacy, scripts, and the physical ability to beat the poo poo out of people who harm his friends and family. he cares not about people or their contents, he cares only about whether or not innocents are hurt (some said Justice earlier but even that seems wrong, Aiden cares little for justice, he just doesn't want people not shooting at him to die).

I watched the video linked, there were the generic "killing muslims and black people trollolol" but then it was followed up by shooting a person for being Canadian, and another for being a 9/11 survivor so clearly whoever made that video is just making a joke. not the most tasteful joke.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?

Sindai posted:

How much playtime? I have the same specs and have had it running for 3-4 hours without a crash.

I suspect you have your page file disabled. With WD running for a while my system is at about 90% memory use, so without a page file I could easily see it running out of physical memory and crashing.

Nah, the page file is enabled. Maybe my computer just got fed up of the insta-fail stealth section I was trying to get through for the umpteenth time.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

ShredsYouSay posted:

Nah, the page file is enabled. Maybe my computer just got fed up of the insta-fail stealth section I was trying to get through for the umpteenth time.
That's actually pretty weird then. A 64-bit executable can't really run out of virtual memory (or at least, you'd see unbearable chugging long before it crashed) since the default page file size is pretty huge.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Roman posted:

I remember:

I bet she has an Adams apple.

I'm enjoying this game way more than I expected to. The online tailing is awesome, I've caught a few suckers trying to tail me. Its a nice feeling when you spot some weird activity and investigate, to then find an invader and shoot them in the face. I have tailed a ton of people and usually get away with it. Hope they fix that 'pause to find out if someone's in your game' exploit soon. Not knowing if that's how someone discovered you is a little frustrating.

The gta multiplayer was a gigantic disappoint me to me which makes this even more satisfying.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
Are convoys repeatable?

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Moochewmoo posted:

Are convoys repeatable?

As in if you fail them? Then yes. Other than that I think they're dynamic events.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

If you're looking for a fast car that handles pretty well I recommend the 'rotor'. It looks like a little piece of poo poo but I suspect it handles the best out of any car in the game.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
One of the sports cars has 4-star handling and that's become my go-to. It's nice to be in something that's both fast and doesn't spin onto the sidewalk and ruin my perfect reputation every time I need to make a turn.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I like how they let the religious conservative live (after the fan fiction writer)

the truth fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 2, 2014

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009

Arkitektbmw posted:

As in if you fail them? Then yes. Other than that I think they're dynamic events.

Sorry not quite sure I understand. Are they similar to criminal profiling in that there are like an infinite amount?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Roman posted:

I remember:

Those are some unnecessarily tall heels.

• Locked thread