Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Here's the recording. There are a few flubs but honestly I'm trying to just get some (ANY) music out there, instead of having dozens of half written riffs:
https://soundcloud.com/waskow/grecki

For the bassline in the A-sections I was walking up from B to E and back via the major third, then walking down to the open E via the major seven and the E's major third. The last chord is an F#7. In the B-sections I was hitting the roots and fives of D#m,C#m,C7,B, but letting the guitar chords set the tonality. For the outro I flubbed a random A in there, but I think it works OK.

I'm not too happy with the guitar solo'ing and I was considering stripping it entirely, but without lyrics the song needs SOMETHING.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
EVERYONE POST MUSIC

Finally starting to get back some final mixes and mastered tracks for the EP. Definitely sound a lot better than our attempts at mixing. Bass is much beefier, drums pulled back a tad, and just overall great balance.

https://soundcloud.com/fro_tone/old-friend-52614/s-bUHF8

He forgot to include the harmonized sax at the very end, but that's being taken care of.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Here's my second ever track, this time I played with a plectrum. It's a nonsensical NWOBHM-style song about a yard switcher train. I clearly need to find a better way to cut into the mix when recording, I boosted the bass track, cut the (double tracked) guitars but still nada:

https://soundcloud.com/waskow/demon-switcher

Bass line is an A-Phrygian vamp on the verse and an E-minor vamp on the chorus.
Guitars are A-A# and G (last riff of each section chromatically ascends to the P4 from A) on the verse, and E-G-E-A on the chorus.

I compared pick vs. pluck the accuracy and consistency were far superior on the former - which to me is bizarre because I've never really felt comfortable picking. Oh well, More woodshedding, I guess.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

Horizontal Tree posted:

Any opinions on the Ibanez Artcore AFB200? I started talking to a friend about finally picking up a bass to learn on and he linked me a few on Ebay. I want a shorter scale and I have a boner for hollow/semi-hollow.
Also, whats the go-to cheap, small amp for learning on?

I have the AGB200 which I believe is the semi-hollow version, and have had it for a few years. It's really nice, plays really well. I've had a hard time with strings with it though, because of the bring it's about a 32" medium scale - 30" strings are too short! What do you want to know?

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Do any of you use a Line6 M5, M9, or M13 with a bass? Do you like it or are they more geared towards guitar?

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Brony Car posted:

Do any of you use a Line6 M5, M9, or M13 with a bass? Do you like it or are they more geared towards guitar?

I had a M13 for awhile. It has some things that sound OK, but I sold it to my guitarist and built a board with just a few things on it instead. Both of us are happy now :)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Southern Heel posted:

Here's my second ever track, this time I played with a plectrum. It's a nonsensical NWOBHM-style song about a yard switcher train. I clearly need to find a better way to cut into the mix when recording, I boosted the bass track, cut the (double tracked) guitars but still nada:

Did you compress the bass? If not you probably want to do that instead of just boosting it, get a strong consistent attack and tone, and then cut everything else to let that come through in the important frequencies. You don't just want low end, you want the midrange voice to have some space too. There's a couple of overviews here:

http://therecordingrevolution.com/2011/05/11/5-minutes-to-a-better-mix-compressing-bass-guitar-part-11-of-31/
http://therecordingrevolution.com/2011/05/12/5-minutes-to-a-better-mix-bass-saturation-part-12-of-31/

Second one's a bit 'how to route in pro tools' but he's basically doubling the bass and distorting the copy, and using that as seasoning in the mix. There are a lot of rock songs where you don't actually notice the bass is distorted, until there's a quiet moment where the fuzz comes through. The rest of the time it just sits there nicely, making itself heard

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

^ Hey guy, thanks! I'm recording on a Tascam 8-track (trying to keep it off the PC, honestly) so I guess a compression pedal would be the way forward? Any recommendations for something that won't break the bank? As a 'requirement' it seems that everyone's costing their pedals pretty highly: I've looked at Pigtronix Philosopher, EBS Multi-comp and MXR87

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Does your Tascam have any effects? I have an old 8-track portastudio (with a hard drive) and it has a few compression options, which at least get the job done. You can apply them direct as you record (or bounce to another track), or use them as sends and inserts when you're mixing.

No idea about gear though, sorry! I think really for this you don't care about the tonal characteristics of the compression, it's more about getting the volume generally levelled off, so even a cheap pedal should work - someone with more experience might have a bit more insight, I could be wrong! If you want a more versatile, general purpose compressor for bass, everyone has their favourites. If you want a more general mixing compressor (for everything), the mixing thread might be a good shot (and also drain you of your moneys)

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Southern Heel posted:

^ Hey guy, thanks! I'm recording on a Tascam 8-track (trying to keep it off the PC, honestly) so I guess a compression pedal would be the way forward? Any recommendations for something that won't break the bank? As a 'requirement' it seems that everyone's costing their pedals pretty highly: I've looked at Pigtronix Philosopher, EBS Multi-comp and MXR87

Is there any reason why you're trying to keep it off the PC? I can't think of a good reason to avoid digital workstations in this day and age if they are available to you. The price of a good compression pedal could buy a license of Reaper (which includes comps, reverb, delay, pitch correction, etc etc).

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Working with PC's is my day job, and really I already spend a good portion of my leisure time infront of one too - music is a nice way for me to extricate myself from the computer's grasp for a while. Not that it always works, mind you.

I do appreciate the comment however, and since I tend to record at the same desk that my laptop sits on, maybe it's a decent option. Overall: first world problem.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Southern Heel posted:

Working with PC's is my day job, and really I already spend a good portion of my leisure time infront of one too - music is a nice way for me to extricate myself from the computer's grasp for a while. Not that it always works, mind you.

I do appreciate the comment however, and since I tend to record at the same desk that my laptop sits on, maybe it's a decent option. Overall: first world problem.

Sometimes I use an old radioshack tape recorder because I am an idiot.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
I'm looking to pick up a left-handed 4-string for <= $750 - looking for any recommendations. Looking on Musician's Friend I've found a couple nice-looking candidates from Schecter:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/schecter-guitar-research-stiletto-studio-4-left-handed-bass

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/schecter-guitar-research-blackjack-atx-c-4-left-handed-electric-bass-guitar

Unfortunately I don't know enough about the pickups/EQ to know which I'd prefer though I do prefer the Stiletto being neck-thru - looking for warmer more jazzy tones. Also happy to disregard either of these for something better, I'm a bit of a newb to basses.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
I played a Stiletto Elite for four years, playing mostly jazz. It's got a pretty bright tone with the knobs at the center position with most roundwound strings. Throw Flatwounds on to mellow it out a bit, adjust eq to taste, and you're good to go. The neck-thru sustain is quite nice, and the necks are very playable.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Thanks for the info - if you had to pick between a Stiletto and the Fender Jazz, which would you prefer?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Stravinsky posted:

I know you're being facetious but I really think there is a compelling argument for creating a limited environment to stimulate creativity. I am paraphrasing, but essentially compare the following two prompts: "Write me a riff that sounds good" vs. "Write me a slow rock riff in G-minor". The latter essentially boxes you in more but you're much more likely to come out with SOMETHING.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Super Rad posted:

Thanks for the info - if you had to pick between a Stiletto and the Fender Jazz, which would you prefer?

Depends on the setup. I'd have to play them both side by side and make my decision based on a hands on experience. If I had to say one right now without playing them, I'd probably go with the Fender. There is a reason it is such a prevalent bass. It's good, and it's got great tone without messing with anything. The Stiletto needs a bit more effort tweaking to get that good of a tone, but it's an easier, faster bass to play.

Every time I go through a Guitar Center, I always play an MIA J bass and a Schecter, and I have a ball with each one.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

As a musician you can't really go wrong having a j bass around.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Hello all. I have recently become interested in learning bass, just as a hobby. I bought an electric guitar, like 8 years ago, but I never really learned to play it. I played the clarinet for 7 years (starting in childhood through highschool) before that and was pretty good, played in concert band (first chair as a senior). So I have a musical background, know how to read music, remember some music theory etc.

Last week I had decided that I would learn how to play my guitar, and I started messing around with Rocksmith, which is kind of like guitar hero, but with a real guitar instead of a plastic controller. I didn't dig it first until I found the feature to emulate bass guitar and I immediately fell in love with it.

Then I started reading this thread (I'm like 50 pages in) and now I'm tentatively saving to buy something in the price range of an Ibanez GSR200. In the meantime I'm plunking around in Rocksmith trying to learn some basics and not pick up too many bad habits. Despite being fun to play with the effects and accompaniment, Rocksmith does not (can not, really) enforce keeping good time/staying on the beat, so I want to get a metronome pronto. Which brings me to the reason for this post: Are all metronomes basically created equal, or are there some that are significantly more useful or versetile as training tools? It sounds like a really dumb question, but making these kind of assumptions early on is generally how I waste money...

tl;dr: Does anyone have recommendations for a metronome, or does it not even matter?

Either way, this thread is a wealth of information and I intend to go back and continue reading where I left off.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Snak posted:

tl;dr: Does anyone have recommendations for a metronome, or does it not even matter?

http://www.metronomeonline.com/

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Snak posted:

Buy a drum machine.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Stravinsky posted:

There are like two dozen tapes in my parents' attic of me getting my Sebadoh on at age 15 and I should probably destroy all of them

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Declan MacManus posted:

There are like two dozen tapes in my parents' attic of me getting my Sebadoh on at age 15 and I should probably destroy all of them

I suggest a fire barrel.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken

Snak posted:

Doesn't really matter, you can go to a music store and pick up a little digital one for $5.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

MancXVI posted:

Buy a drum machine.

This + If you have a smartphone there are tons of metronome apps for free/a few bucks.

TriggerHappy
Mar 14, 2007

Does anyone have any experience with the new 500 watt Portaflex head/cab? I need something for gigs (punkish band) and my drummer is pretty drat loud. I like the low weight and cost of the Portaflex, and our rehearsal spaces usually have some form of SVT, so I'm getting used to that Ameg sound.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

I had the PF500 and 15" cabs for a little bit a couple years ago. I only liked that setup with both 15s connected, a single 15 always sounded weak even by myself in my living room.

The cabs don't go super deep because they're sealed, but they have a pretty punchy sound. If you bolt the head to one of the cabs that combo is pushing 70 pounds, which makes it a little unwieldy. Ultimately I went back to an Aguilar GS112/112NT setup for cabinets because they're smaller, lighter, and go lower, combined with whatever head I'm using at the moment.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

DrChu posted:

I had the PF500 and 15" cabs for a little bit a couple years ago. I only liked that setup with both 15s connected, a single 15 always sounded weak even by myself in my living room.

The cabs don't go super deep because they're sealed, but they have a pretty punchy sound. If you bolt the head to one of the cabs that combo is pushing 70 pounds, which makes it a little unwieldy. Ultimately I went back to an Aguilar GS112/112NT setup for cabinets because they're smaller, lighter, and go lower, combined with whatever head I'm using at the moment.

How did that Portaflex head sound with non-Ampeg cabs?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
I've seen two bite the dust, they sounded pretty good when they were working though.

my suggestion for all things punk and cheap for bass is an old acoustic head. can get them for around 200 and they are loud and get a sweet grind if you push mids.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I have an Eden Nemesis head and a Bergantino cab...due to the impedence it only gets 200 watts, which is fine for church but was not so great with the classic rock band I had a while back. If I do start another band, I may think about getting another rig that can compete with a drummer a little better. I've always been intrigued by Ashdown's tube stuff, but they seem hard to find these days. I've heard that they don't sell directly to Canada anymore, I wonder if that's true. Anyways, it's just pipe dream stuff for now.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Brony Car posted:

I only briefly tried it on other cabs but its pretty average. If you're going after that mid-scooped with the ultra low button pushed in tone it'll do that no problem, but it doesn't get too growly with the gain and you pretty much need to use the compressor to maintain a decent level.

They're not that light, and almost the size of a standard 2U rackmount amp (but they can't be rackmounted). They can be had cheap used (like $300), but some people have reliability issues like Smash It said. I would only use one with the matching cabs, otherwise I'd just get an actual mini head or just a regular rackmount amp.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Aguilar TH350 or TH500 should be considered as well, though they're a bit more money.

Tiny, quiet, reliable as a tank, best ss amp I've ever used.

Chacmool
Apr 12, 2007

I've been looking to upgrade from my GSR200 and found a used Fender Blacktop P for $200 Link. Does anyone have any experience with it? Online reviews seem pretty positive overall and it sounds pretty good in videos. Also, this being my first used buy, any tips on what to check for besides just playing it a bit?

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Brony Car posted:

My band seems to love the sound I get out of mine. I run it through a Carvin 410 or a Peavey Headliner 410, both at 8 ohms, depending on which practice space I'm at. It's disgustingly bland without a Sansamp running through it but it is loud. As gently caress. And really that's all I was asking it to do since I knew I was grabbing a Sansamp.

It's been hissing quite a bit lately when I turn the Presence knob up on my Sansamp. Regardless of power source / power conditioner/ etc. I didn't know about reliability issues with these models - I was going to break it down and rack mount it - but maybe I'll just hold off and upgrade to something more lasting.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Revvik posted:

My band seems to love the sound I get out of mine. I run it through a Carvin 410 or a Peavey Headliner 410, both at 8 ohms, depending on which practice space I'm at. It's disgustingly bland without a Sansamp running through it but it is loud. As gently caress. And really that's all I was asking it to do since I knew I was grabbing a Sansamp.

It's been hissing quite a bit lately when I turn the Presence knob up on my Sansamp. Regardless of power source / power conditioner/ etc. I didn't know about reliability issues with these models - I was going to break it down and rack mount it - but maybe I'll just hold off and upgrade to something more lasting.

Which Sansamp do you have? My Bass Driver DI is pretty old, but it's always been quiet. Does it help if you turn on that -40dB pad?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Probably should stay away from the Class-D Ampeg stuff. Horrible reliability across the board.

As far as non-bass players having a bass to have around & record with, I think some sort of PJ is your best bet. The distinctive P-bass sound sits better in mixes, and having the J pickup to add an edge to the sound (or to solo) gives you versatility past a regular P-bass.

For a newbie starting out, or for other instrumentalists looking to have a bass around I strongly, strongly recommend the Squier Vintage Modified PJ. Totally decent stock pickups, nice setup out of the box, good hardware, very stable neck, and good fit and finish. The tuners are heavy and the body is pretty light, so it can be a little neck heavy depending on where you have your strap. I have a sunburst one, and so far have put the 60's tort pickguard on it + tugbar, and a set of DR Legend flatwounds. It'll get a set of Nordstrands eventually, and probably some Hipshot Ultralites, but it doesn't need them.

I have a bunch of really expensive basses, and this one gets played at gigs and in the studio just as often. Even with the stock pickups I can't tell you the amount of times someone has come over to inspect what I was playing and saying "no way, THAT'S a SQUIER???!!!"

TriggerHappy
Mar 14, 2007

Chacmool posted:

I've been looking to upgrade from my GSR200 and found a used Fender Blacktop P for $200 Link. Does anyone have any experience with it? Online reviews seem pretty positive overall and it sounds pretty good in videos. Also, this being my first used buy, any tips on what to check for besides just playing it a bit?

This is the bass I use. It's a bit heavy on the high mids and the volume knobs aren't very responsive between 0 and 8, but I love the way it sounds and plays. Mine was setup very nicely from the factory. The pickups have pretty sharp corners and I tend to anchor my picking hand, so that took some getting used to. I put some DR flats on mine and it tamed those mids a bit. I'm a huge fan, and I got mine for $500 when it was new.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

TriggerHappy posted:

This is the bass I use. It's a bit heavy on the high mids and the volume knobs aren't very responsive between 0 and 8, but I love the way it sounds and plays. Mine was setup very nicely from the factory. The pickups have pretty sharp corners and I tend to anchor my picking hand, so that took some getting used to. I put some DR flats on mine and it tamed those mids a bit. I'm a huge fan, and I got mine for $500 when it was new.

Did you try getting new pots? That could be a cheap solution to the lack of taper in your volume knobs.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
I have a question about getting a specific bass tone.

I'm trying to figure out how to get a grumbling, warbly bass tone like this example:

http://www.reverbnation.com/omnesia/song/6038-blessing

or to a lesser degree Fieldy from Korn:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OFqXt-izTQ without all that scratchy crunchy poo poo up high.

It feels like there might be an octave pedal involved to build higher peaks without clipping, but what the hell do I know.

and back to the POST MUSIC chat, here's a track from an EP my band put out a bit ago

Pizza Revolution

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

On both those subjects, here's a track from my last show. Bass Goons, critique my bass tone:

https://soundcloud.com/debility/the-tide-rolls-in-live-1

I've got a Ibanez SR505 running through a POD X3 into a Hartke LH500. I'm running distortion on this track; everything else from that show was played clean. I just chose this track because it was the best performance of the night.

There's also the two tracks from our upcoming EP that I put up for mixing advice here, but there are better mixes of those songs in the works.