Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

How come Roy and Morton are in different weight classes even though they both share the same body model?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRKouhai
Apr 25, 2014

TL Note: Keikaku means Moo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76p_ncbffCE

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Dry Bones, Nabbit, King Boo are all I want.

Mainly Nabbit though.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
E.Gadd.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

bonzibuddy64 posted:

Who of King Koopa's children would rule the Mushroom Kingdom in his absence?

While King “Bowser” Koopa would make for a spectacular leader and hero of the people, one really has to consider what will happen when the time comes that he passes away. I have already begun petitions and a Kickstarter to prevent Bowser Jr. from claiming the throne in his absence. All seven of his older siblings would be infinitely more qualified than him. The next youngest Koopa, Larry, while still only being a child, has much more experience than him. Morton Jr. of the Donut Plains and Desert Hill has had experience in harsh climates. Wendy O. Koopa is the only female heir to the throne and possesses the necessary charisma to lead a nation. Iggy Koopa is the brainiest of the bunch, and while some would go so far as to call him a “nerd”, he would still be an excellent leader. Roy Koopa is the biggest and brawniest, and would be one of my personal choices for the next in line for succession. Lemmy Koopa, despite his small size and childish nature, is the second oldest, and while his carefree and laidback attitude may not suit a king, he’s certainly a better choice than Bowser Jr. Finally, we come to Ludwig von Koopa, the oldest of the Koopalings, who is the smartest and even composes his own music.

I would say that Ludwig is the most qualified. While Ludwig is arrogant and presumptuous, he is still the oldest and most experienced out of all the ‘Koopalings’. He also possesses a magnificent intelligence, superior to that of his siblings and father. Ludwig von Koopa used to be King Bowser’s second in command until Bowser Jr. came along. Why King Bowser would abandon Ludwig, his most trusted advisor and eldest son, in favor of this newly hatched Koopa is beyond me.

The next Koopa in line would be Roy Koopa. Roy is the bulkiest and most tough out of all the ‘Koopalings’, and I think he would make for a great general. For those of you who don’t know, Roy has a pink shell and typically wears sunglasses. In my books, this cements him as an all-around “cool guy”. I haven’t known that many people in my life named Roy, so whenever I do meet someone named Roy, it instantly reminds me of this Koopa. Is he more qualified than Ludwig? No, I don’t think so, but this is only a “what-if” scenario.

The next in line is Iggy Koopa. I should note that Lemmy Koopa is older than both Roy and Iggy, but I don’t think he’s qualified for a leadership position because of his childishness. Anyways, Iggy is very mechanically talented, and while not as bright as his older brother Ludwig, he still possesses an unusually gifted mind for a Koopa. I think his assets would benefit him and the kingdom most by him serving as an advisor, or on a proposed "Koopa Kouncil". He would also be a great inventor.

This childish son of Bowser was named after the Motorhead guitarist and singer Lemmy Kilmister. Unfortunately for us, Lemmy Koopa does not share the same facial hair as the Motorhead Lemmy, but has a tuft of rainbow hair on top of his head. Lemmy Koopa is also often seen trying to balance on top of a green ball with a star on it, despite being the second oldest of the Koopa children. You’ll notice that I don’t nominate Lemmy Koopa for a position in the proposed "Koopa Kouncil" – that’s because he spends most of his time trying to balance on a ball, like a child. As you can see for yourself, he is not fit to lead a kingdom. The only scenario where I can see Lemmy Koopa taking over King Koopa’s position is if the only other option is Bowser Jr. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Bowser Jr. is simply not fit to rule the Mushroom Kingdom and I don’t understand what King Koopa sees in him, or why he spawned an eighth hatchling.

Truthfully, there is not a whole lot to say about Morton Jr. – he has a grey shell and a grey and white scar-like feature on his head. He rules over the Donut Plains and the Desert Hill. One interesting observation I’ve made is that in both his appearances, Morton is the boss of the second world. What does this mean? I don’t think it means anything, to be honest. It means whatever you want it to mean.

Wendy is King Morton’s only female child, and the only one with a middle name. What does the “O” stand for? Microsoft Bing is a great social media search engine and one thing I love about it in particular is that the commercial for it features a dubstep song. Dubstep doesn’t have much to do with Wendy O. Koopa, however, so I’d like to get back on topic, and I would like to apologize to the reader for going off on a tangent about dubstep. I promise that it won’t happen again, and my deepest condolences go out to you, the reader. Anyways, Wendy O. Koopa sports a pink bow and lipstick.

Larry Koopa… what a concept. Larry Koopa is the youngest of the original seven Koopa children. For a long time, I argued this was not the case, and that Lemmy was the youngest (he certainly acts it!). However, after doing a bit of research on various Mario information websites and databases, I discovered that Larry Koopa was indeed the youngest, canonically. I was resistant to accept this as fact at first, but what’s canon is canon. His characteristics include being the youngest, and having a blue tuft of hair. He is the last boss you fight before King Bowser’s Klown Kopter in Super Mario World. Larry is also the first boss in Super Mario Brothers 3. I also happen to have a cousin named Larry, but he does not have anything in common with King Bowser’s children.

The infamous "Bowser Jr." as made famous by Mario Party. Apparently Shigeru Miyamoto has released a statement saying that the Koopa Kids are not Bowser's children. Who the gently caress do you think you are? What's bullshit is that Mr. Miyamoto thinks he can get away with retconning established Mario lore. What game is Bowser Jr. even from? Well, I'll tell you - it's all the loving new Mario games and they are not paying respect, to the classic Super Mario Brothers 3 and Super Mario World. Can't believe the poo poo Shiggy thinks he can get away with… I heard Skyward Sword sucked a big one and it doesn’t suprirse me.

Preach it, brother.

d3k0y
May 30, 2013
Does anyone else feel like they get slightly better boosts on jump tricks the closer to the ledge they jump?

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I just want R.O.B. back, dammit.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

d3k0y posted:

Does anyone else feel like they get slightly better boosts on jump tricks the closer to the ledge they jump?

I know that in MK7, the timing of your trick had an affect on your air-time, and thus, your overall speed. It was faster to trick just after clearing the ledge, which gave you a lower jump and put you on the ground faster. You're faster on the ground than in the air, so that's better overall.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

d3k0y posted:

If it's anything like MK7 then there are three jump settings. At the beginning of the booster, in the middle and at the end. I believe beginning is fast and low, middle is high and slow and end is an average between the two. I could be wrong.

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGhO1rTsZtU

I call this the battle for first....

Or how I'm way way too proud of beating someone far far better than me at this game. Kota, whatever the hell you're on that makes you so good at this, I want some.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 2, 2014

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Are miis different weight classes depending on height (like in mk wii) and are there stats listings for them anywhere

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Yorkshire Tea posted:

If it's anything like MK7 then there are three jump settings. At the beginning of the booster, in the middle and at the end. I believe beginning is fast and low, middle is high and slow and end is an average between the two. I could be wrong.

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGhO1rTsZtU

Or how I'm way way too proud of beating someone far far better than me at this game. Kota, whatever the hell you're on that makes you so good at this, I want some.

I loving hate you so much if you're Natural 20. Your mii even looks like mine.

And I played some MK7 back when it came out.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
I don't have any hard science on this, but I race MUCH better as hank hill than I do as my actual mii

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

PerrineClostermann posted:

I loving hate you so much if you're Natural 20. Your mii even looks like mine.

And I played some MK7 back when it came out.

That's me :D

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Get out of here impostor, this town ain't big enough for the both of us.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
What weight class is Mii in? If you make a tubbo Mii will you be heavyweight?

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
They've definitely done something with how the green shells work. I was getting blasted by a bunch to a suspicious extreme, then saw one disobey all laws if geometry and do a complete 180 off a wall it was running nearly parallel to just so it could smack me in the face. I feel like they're set to occasionally lock onto the front runners.

Also don't know how reliable this is, but I definitely saw a CPU get a significant slowdown after a Blooper was thrown, so it does affect them in some way.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

dirksteadfast posted:

They've definitely done something with how the green shells work. I was getting blasted by a bunch to a suspicious extreme, then saw one disobey all laws if geometry and do a complete 180 off a wall it was running nearly parallel to just so it could smack me in the face. I feel like they're set to occasionally lock onto the front runners.

Also don't know how reliable this is, but I definitely saw a CPU get a significant slowdown after a Blooper was thrown, so it does affect them in some way.

Well, Green Shells don't stick to the ground, so they can get some really weird ricochets as they bounce off the ground and into more poo poo too.

As for Bloopers, they definitely affect your traction now; I've gotten inked a few times mid-drift and had my curve suddenly widen. I've also had it end mid-drift and my curve suddenly tighten. It's surprisingly disorienting and the widening caused me to careen off Rainbow Road at least once.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Guignol posted:

I don't have any hard science on this, but I race MUCH better as hank hill than I do as my actual mii

It's because his engine runs on clean burning propane.

Can you pick the actual track when you are playing with friends only or do you have to pick from three tracks? (and a random that is one of those tracks 1/4 of the time.)

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

bonzibuddy64 posted:

Don't make me sick. That character slot could go to Petey Piranha, King Boo, Dry Bones or any other character.

You just made me mad they put in the babies.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Get out of here impostor, this town ain't big enough for the both of us.

TWO KARTS ENTER, ONE KART LEAVES.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Mario Kart 8 is leading the pack in 'most playable turtles' technology.

*someone proves me wrong with SUPER TURTLE RACERS XXXTREME, an obscure game that came out for the Wii at the end of it's life*

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

THE loving MOON posted:

Mario Kart 8 is leading the pack in 'most playable turtles' technology.

*someone proves me wrong with SUPER TURTLE RACERS XXXTREME, an obscure game that came out for the Wii at the end of it's life*

I don't think I'd ever want to play a turtle game with XXXTREME in the title...

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
Hank Hill matches are the best matches
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS0wU8aQuh8

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

What about one that ends in "Ournament Fighters"?

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

It's obscure for a reason. :shepface:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
So for a point of reference on the 1.2 mil number, Titanfall took over 3 weeks to reach a million and Brawl sold about the same number of copies when it released. Considering the popularity (or lack thereof) of the Wii U right now that's pretty impressive.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Yorkshire Tea posted:

TWO KARTS ENTER, ONE KART LEAVES.

Please, can't we just get beyond Thunderdome?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Only if we get to steer ourselves to the THUNDERDROME! :black101:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I know that in MK7, the timing of your trick had an affect on your air-time, and thus, your overall speed. It was faster to trick just after clearing the ledge, which gave you a lower jump and put you on the ground faster. You're faster on the ground than in the air, so that's better overall.

Does this mean that landing prematurely when in the air is a good strategy? I thought about that but wasn't sure. (This is ignoring potential shortcuts)

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

PantsBandit posted:

So for a point of reference on the 1.2 mil number, Titanfall took over 3 weeks to reach a million and Brawl sold about the same number of copies when it released. Considering the popularity (or lack thereof) of the Wii U right now that's pretty impressive.

To be fair, and for clarification purposes, is your Titanfall reference to US sales, or worldwide? Since MK8's worldwide sales are currently 1.2 mil, but the breakdown would obviously be only hundreds of thousands per region.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I made a playlist of the four videos of Luigi death stares I've seen so far. If anyone has more of them, link them so I can throw them in there, too: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSX83mAZE66tt4bL3sa-ELxD5MDHyU42o

Note: Some videos contain NSFW language.

Edit: I like that Youtube autocompleted to "Luigi Death Stare" when I just typed Luigi into the search box. Adding more videos from that now.

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 2, 2014

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Astro Nut posted:

To be fair, and for clarification purposes, is your Titanfall reference to US sales, or worldwide? Since MK8's worldwide sales are currently 1.2 mil, but the breakdown would obviously be only hundreds of thousands per region.

Yeah, it's the US numbers, couldn't find the worldwide ones. But I imagine Titanfall sold way more in the US than anywhere else.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zaphod42 posted:

Does this mean that landing prematurely when in the air is a good strategy? I thought about that but wasn't sure. (This is ignoring potential shortcuts)

I believe so, but I'm not one hundred percent on that. It's a decent idea anyway, as red shells can otherwise get underneath you and get you as you land, even with an item being held.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Guignol posted:

Hank Hill matches are the best matches
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS0wU8aQuh8

The subtle clips of the Hank that chose charcoal over propane make the clip.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

PantsBandit posted:

Yeah, it's the US numbers, couldn't find the worldwide ones. But I imagine Titanfall sold way more in the US than anywhere else.

All announcements from Microsoft were super-cagey about non-US sales, so I'm guessing you're right. Just given the data we do have, it seems pretty likely that MK8 really did have a better launch weekend than Titanfall.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I believe so, but I'm not one hundred percent on that. It's a decent idea anyway, as red shells can otherwise get underneath you and get you as you land, even with an item being held.

I guess come to think of it, flying can allow you to take a straighter route, sort of like the "inside" of a corner, so some speed loss may be worth it to close a more direct and shorter gap straight from A to B instead of going from A to floor to B.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
On the fence.

Can I (with a local player sharing the same console) play with 2 overseas online friends (sharing one console) in the same match with other online randoms? Can I do that also with just AI (thus, 4 friends + AI), or a mixture of online randoms + AI?

Is tournament mode essentially similar to Grand Prix? Can I do the exact above scenario in tournament mode?

In which circumstances does the game actually allow me to voicechat with my friends? (I'm guessing it works through the touchpad) I remember reading pre-release it'd just be friends-only lobbies or something

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Hey wanting to give everyone a heads up that there's a bug in the game that completely bricks systems.

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/229600-mario-kart-8-glitch-bricking-systems

No idea what's causing it.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Hey wanting to give everyone a heads up that there's a bug in the game that completely bricks systems.

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/229600-mario-kart-8-glitch-bricking-systems

No idea what's causing it.

It's possible this is just the result of there being a ton of people who just got new Wii Us with Mario Kart 8 and some of these new consoles were defective. The game would seem to be a common element only because so many people are playing it.

Edit: oh, the source has people who have had the console since launch having the problem. Well gently caress

Suaimhneas fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Sold better than I thought. :stare:

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/473542845555802112

• Locked thread