Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zael
Aug 4, 2008
So I just hit 15 on my Medic and unlocked the first adventuring zone. Do I need to put amp and skill points into healing stuff if i want to heal or can I get by as a dps specced healer, if that makes sense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

WarLocke posted:

I don't think they're missable in the sense that you can't go back to wherever to get them, but there's no way to easily find them other than exploring everywhere (and/or a couple addons), even for the Scientist path missions that need you to find all the cubes in a zone there's no way to get a direction arrow or anything.

That's what Scientists get on their path? That sounds horrible.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Zael posted:

So I just hit 15 on my Medic and unlocked the first adventuring zone. Do I need to put amp and skill points into healing stuff if i want to heal or can I get by as a dps specced healer, if that makes sense?

If you just hit 15 you should have open up a second character build slot which you can spec out to be a healer. If your group is really good you might be able to get by DPSing and healing when needed but if you are just pugging it you really want to go full healer. This game is pretty brutal for the mentally challenged that stand in the fire.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

BadLlama posted:

This game is pretty brutal for the mentally challenged that stand in the fire.
From what I've read and seen in videos the game is pretty brutal even if you're not mentally challenged. I'm afraid to go into instanced content because I'll probably suck at it.

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...
FML, I have been sitting through the queue and playing on Pergo cause I thought that is where the goons were still rolling. Time to start again it would seem.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Yaos posted:

From what I've read and seen in videos the game is pretty brutal even if you're not mentally challenged. I'm afraid to go into instanced content because I'll probably suck at it.

It's not that bad, just get the basics of your class down and don't be afraid to ask for advice.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
I started playing an Esper on my lunch break with the idea that I would try to utilize a lot of dashing to compensate for the Esper's stationary spells. A few times when I tried to dash left or right, my Chua just stood there and a message reading something like "Dash not available at this time" came on the screen. What gives with that?

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
Question about grouping. You gain renown or influence or something if you party up with guild members. Do you have to be in the same zone or near each other, or can you just party up with whomever and wherever and rake in the renown?

Jfizzoid
Feb 8, 2005
sproing

Yaos posted:

Ask some goons to take you on baby's first Adventure. The worst that can happen is you get made fun of and kicked out of the guild.

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

Yaos posted:

I queued as a healer for the first adventure yesterday having never healed before. It was a bit rocky at first and there were a couple deaths I probably could have prevented, but by the end I was getting the hang of all my abilities and how to use them. Don't let the "omg hardcore" stories keep you from trying the content.

MuffinMan
Oct 1, 2001

roger that sir, you're good to go.
I ran Ruins of Kel Voreth for my first dungeon last night and didn't know a thing about it, and no one else did either.

Boss telegraphs and mechanics were pretty intuitive and we managed most fights in 3 attempts or so.

Engineer pre-24 (without Particle Ejector) is kind of lackluster on threat generation though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Koth posted:

I started playing an Esper on my lunch break with the idea that I would try to utilize a lot of dashing to compensate for the Esper's stationary spells. A few times when I tried to dash left or right, my Chua just stood there and a message reading something like "Dash not available at this time" came on the screen. What gives with that?

You only have so many dashes and they need to recover. It's the number on the left of your hotbar.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

fadam posted:

This is getting really absurd.

After hitting level 18 on Saturday, I got the glitch where an unopened piece of mail crashes your game every time you vacuum loot, turn in a quest, open a mailbox, and a whole bunch of other activities. It basically makes the game unplayable.

I found a thread on the WS forums where people were having similar issues and one guy managed to get them to return the mail in his box to sender and it resolved all issues for him.

I've submitted two tickets (I had to submit a second one because the first ticket just got some bullshit RP response form about "looking into bugs" as a response) for over 48 hours and I still haven't received a meaningful response from them. They've said that they're working on a global fix but the problem has persisted past every maintenance and downtime they've done.
Yeah, I saw that thread too. Probably ought to go ahead and email them all of the error log files from one of the times you reproduced it and keep raising a stink on the forums. It looks like the .txt just shows "Access violation writing location" so maybe the .log file might have more useful errors.

Also just for a crazy idea try one of the Curse addons that opens mail, ProtoMail or MailHelper or something like that (I am bad at remembering names and can't access it here). There's just the most outside chance that you can get the mail out with one of those that you can't with the regular mail UI. (But probably not of course)

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Koth posted:

Draw your attention to somewhere on the left side of your action bar. You will notice when you dash a counter drops by one. You get 2 dashes before you need to 'regen'.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

CrashCat posted:

Yeah, I saw that thread too. Probably ought to go ahead and email them all of the error log files from one of the times you reproduced it and keep raising a stink on the forums. It looks like the .txt just shows "Access violation writing location" so maybe the .log file might have more useful errors.

Also just for a crazy idea try one of the Curse addons that opens mail, ProtoMail or MailHelper or something like that (I am bad at remembering names and can't access it here). There's just the most outside chance that you can get the mail out with one of those that you can't with the regular mail UI. (But probably not of course)

That's a good idea, I'll give it a shot right now.

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

Yaos posted:

Question about grouping. You gain renown or influence or something if you party up with guild members. Do you have to be in the same zone or near each other, or can you just party up with whomever and wherever and rake in the renown?

You get renown for grouping with people—not necessarily guild members—and doing things while near each other. The guild gets influence when you group with guild members and do things while near each other.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Nelson Mandingo posted:

It's not that bad, just get the basics of your class down and don't be afraid to ask for advice.

I am getting a whole GW2 vibe (Not that bad part) when it comes to grouping in GW2 you were in charge of keeping yourself alive with the help of your group. In Wildstar it seems you are very much in-charge of keeping yourself alive. The healers will heal you to keep you up but if you aren't dodging and avoiding things and generally paying attention to everything you will die.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Yaos posted:

I did the first Exile adventure earlier and although it was certainly longer than I expected -- I was thinking Warcraft scenario, I got a fairly large Warcraft CYOA dungeon -- it wasn't all that hard. We ended up corpserushing one boss where we got adds and the boss + adds which slowly killed people but overall it was fairly straightforward. The main problem I (and most of the party, I think) had was stupidly dodging out of healer telegraphs, once I learned to move around less my lifebar became a lot more stable.

The dungeons seem like they will be a lot worse and not just because you can't res in combat like you apparently can in adventures. Interrupt armor requires more coordination than seems to arise naturally and knockdowns and stuns are huge for keeping the party alive. I'm seriously considering taking all 3 of the Warrior interrupts in the future.

E: Obviously, if you're in a goon group and on Mumble then I'm pretty sure it'll all be fine. It's mostly the pick up and finder groups that have me worried.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 2, 2014

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

You only have so many dashes and they need to recover. It's the number on the left of your hotbar.

Ahh, tanks.

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:
Just to second this, our guild on Evindra is very active. Not sure how we compare to Goon Squad, but we had a peak of over 70 online last night. That number will inevitably rise at launch and shrink after the free 30 days, but I'm hoping we can retain a healthy group since the game is very good and has lots to offer in terms of content.

Chill group of chill guys. :allears:

Vyro Ingo
May 20, 2013

Stiggs posted:

Me and another guy have rolled on Zhur for now. If anyone else has then we could get a circle going or something.

Add me, character name is Whiteghost (Medic)

Can't deal with a 7hr queue for Hazak

Fishy Joe
Apr 19, 2005
Eat at Fishy Joe's

BadLlama posted:

If you just hit 15 you should have open up a second character build slot which you can spec out to be a healer.

Holy poo poo, how? Is it just in the skill UI or do you have to buy it somewhere?

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

I really didn't think I would like Esper, but so far it's been fun. The visuals on most abilities are cool, especially the AoE finisher that drops axes and stuff and the slow-revving buzzaw builder.

It's a little disappointing how under-used the weapon is, though. Was hoping it would be flung around or float or glow or something.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Who Dat posted:

Just to second this, our guild on Evindra is very active. Not sure how we compare to Goon Squad, but we had a peak of over 70 online last night. That number will inevitably rise at launch and shrink after the free 30 days, but I'm hoping we can retain a healthy group since the game is very good and has lots to offer in terms of content.

Plus, on Evindra you have the huge benefit of being able to troll the gently caress out of ERPers. What's not to love?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

BlueDestiny posted:

I really didn't think I would like Esper, but so far it's been fun. The visuals on most abilities are cool, especially the AoE finisher that drops axes and stuff and the slow-revving buzzaw builder.

It's a little disappointing how under-used the weapon is, though. Was hoping it would be flung around or float or glow or something.

It's a shame that it's used for the worst (but coolest looking) ability in Blade Dance which is a loving dps loss when compared to any other builder for the dubious benefit of hitting 360 around you.

Blade Dance really needs to just let you use other skills while it's up and have its damage readjusted or something.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Fishy Joe posted:

Holy poo poo, how? Is it just in the skill UI or do you have to buy it somewhere?

Hit B? The action slot builder or whatever and at the very bottom center of it there should be something that says "Action Sheet 1" and then arrows on either side of it. Click the arrow and it will go to "Action Sheet 2" where you can fill out entirely different amps and ability point selection. Switching between them is instant and awesome.

And I am pretty sure the first one is free upon reaching level 15. I believe you can buy more later or something.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

BlueDestiny posted:

FWIW, Concentrated Blade uses the model of your weapon for the spinny blades, and you're basically always going to be using it since its an off-gcd builder.

Who Dat posted:

I can confirm that the Evindra guild is chill and awesome. :3:

Cephid
Dec 28, 2012
I apologize in advance if this has been asked; I skimmed the last 12~ or so pages as this thread was moving decently over the weekend and I slacked on keeping up.

I was tinkering with the commodities exchange over the weekend and noticed that what I was paying for materials is not what the price was. When I went and ran a few tests, using the lowest level wood (knotwood?), the price would be around 2s39c but my overall cost was 7s39c. If I purchased more than one the extra cost seemed to roughly hover around the same 5s penalty for purchasing off the exchange. Is it charging me for the benefit of receiving mail instantly? Or is there an actual buyers tax that is inversely related to the amount you purchase? Or is this just a bug?

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
The Commodities Exchange house seems really loving buggy and weird. Someone else posted I think that it was showing incorrect bid amounts for them and I had a few issues trying to sell my unwanted gathering stuff as well, I kept having to basically manually set sell price on everything after checking via the buy window because the sell window wasn't actually showing the correct market rates for the things.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So do I need to worry about role players in Evindra? I would like to chill too.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Psykmoe posted:

If WoW is any indication, most rpers will self-segregate to places like Goldshire or the pre-Cataclysm Stormwind park, and you never even see them while actually playing, yeah.

And what do you know, the layout of Thayd makes the Aurin-quarter completely self-contained and no one ever has to visit it :v:
Well you do have to stick your toe in there for the tour quest to pick up the Thayd teleport but after that you can safely avoid the hell out of the place. Course we have no idea where the Goldshire of Wildstar will be until we have the... good fortune of stumbling upon it.

If my Dominion-playing friend is any indication, the Chua RPers are actually infinitely worse just because of how loving annoying they are. I've yet to actually see an Aurin roleplaying. Maybe we had it all wrong?

Zigoot
Jan 30, 2008

Its too late your money is gay now

Ugh I really wish you could change paths before a certain level in this game. I was originally set on scientist, but in the last few days before headstart I decided I really wanted to go explorer for the cool outfit and for the transponder beacon. Now I'm level 17 and I really wish I had done scientist because the port to capital, summon, sweet goggles, customizable scanbot, and awesome titles sound way better.

How much of an asperger would I have to be to reroll now? I'm really really tempted.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Common Sensei posted:

Ugh I really wish you could change paths before a certain level in this game. I was originally set on scientist, but in the last few days before headstart I decided I really wanted to go explorer for the cool outfit and for the transponder beacon. Now I'm level 17 and I really wish I had done scientist because the port to capital, summon, sweet goggles, customizable scanbot, and awesome titles sound way better.

How much of an asperger would I have to be to reroll now? I'm really really tempted.

The game is still only days old, why settle? Do what makes you happy. Good rule for every game.

Cephid
Dec 28, 2012

Common Sensei posted:

You've only played for a couple days; if you're unhappy with the choice now would be the time to reroll the character. Ignore the sunk cost and create a new character imo.

dudeman
Jun 1, 2007

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Did they gently caress up something in a recent patch or hotfix?

I've been having issues the last 2 days with the UI/context sensitive prompts, like mobs will stop having their names appear above their heads or I won't see a gear icon above a quest objective/lore item.

I've uninstalled my custom addons, reset the UI/HUD stuff, checked/unchecked tons of poo poo, /reloadui, etc.

Things will work for a while and then inexplicably stop, I can't really explain it.

Also, this happened:

Why is the font so small?

Edit: Now I'm not even getting the "F" prompt when standing right in front of a quest giver. I have to right-click them to initiate dialogue. The gently caress is going on.

Edit2: And now it's back. poo poo's broke as hell.

I wasn't having any of these issues for the first couple of days of headstart.

AITOO?

dudeman fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 2, 2014

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
Those dungeons sure are something huh. Been pugging and in stormtalon we wiped 3 times on the first two big mobs before giving up and in the other one we wiped 5 times on the first boss before people started giving up. I dread the rest of those dungeons :gonk:

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Unlucky7 posted:

So do I need to worry about role players in Evindra? I would like to chill too.

Yes I can confirm being aggressively ERP'd at basically every turn. If it's not one Granok asking me if I'd like to scale his pillar or another asking me what I think of her boulders, it's some Mordesh wanting to play "doctor" or do "experiments". It goes so far as to make it difficult for my character to even move around as I constantly have a train of amorous Aurin latched on to me.

No I think I've seen like maybe a handful of RPers and none of them have bothered me at all, it's fine.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Mercurius posted:

Also if you use the full shotgun single target build (which starts to work really well at level 25 when you can make Bio Shell instant but it works okay from 13 onwards) you can absolutely mow through mobs. You can even sub in Electrocute instead of Bolt Caster to retain some AOE capability although it's harder to keep your volatility in the sweet spot that way.

What is this build? I'm struggling a little bit with engineer right now.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Cephid posted:

I apologize in advance if this has been asked; I skimmed the last 12~ or so pages as this thread was moving decently over the weekend and I slacked on keeping up.

I was tinkering with the commodities exchange over the weekend and noticed that what I was paying for materials is not what the price was. When I went and ran a few tests, using the lowest level wood (knotwood?), the price would be around 2s39c but my overall cost was 7s39c. If I purchased more than one the extra cost seemed to roughly hover around the same 5s penalty for purchasing off the exchange. Is it charging me for the benefit of receiving mail instantly? Or is there an actual buyers tax that is inversely related to the amount you purchase? Or is this just a bug?
I get charged a 5s fee on any buy order, but that's OK since I can order up to 200 at a time. If you're getting that fee on Buy Now that's pretty hilariously broken. I don't think the 5s fee was there in Open Beta either so I'm not surprised they hosed it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The fee also doesn't scale down at all, to the point where it seems like you can get in a situation where the listing fee is higher than what you can expect to be paid for the item. So... why would you ever list it?

• Locked thread