Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

After you beat a factions story mode it actually reveals all optional conditions that need to be met to unlock the extra stages and officers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
The game shows you the Star objectives once you finish the Historical route so by that time you should have played all the main stages and know where the playable officers will be during it.

e;f,b

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

And unlike Dynasty Warriors 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqF8mNNelFM

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Allarion posted:

One of the little things I like in the story mode is how mission objectives can change depending on which character you're playing as, usually whenever they decide to do a pincer attack, so you either end up as the distraction or the sneak attack. Gives replaying stages a bit more variety compared to earlier games where you just ended up doing everything.

Didn't SW1 have not only that but branching paths depending on what formation you did?

I seem to remember Yukimura being told "go to x to do the crane formation, go to y to do the wheel." Why they stripped all the features out of SW1 instead of refining them I'll never know.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Mortimer posted:

Didn't SW1 have not only that but branching paths depending on what formation you did?

I seem to remember Yukimura being told "go to x to do the crane formation, go to y to do the wheel." Why they stripped all the features out of SW1 instead of refining them I'll never know.

I'm pretty sure that was just that one stage where Kenshin and Shingen were fighting each other.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

"I am my own opponent? This will be difficult!"

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

The thing that sticks out for me in SW1 was Yukimura's alternate story. You had to unlock it by playing the right stage as Shingen in Free Mode. It was the only stage that had to be unlocked by playing as a different character, and I'm pretty sure the game never said so.

It's truly astounding how much the voice acting has improved.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

caleramaen posted:

I'm pretty sure that was just that one stage where Kenshin and Shingen were fighting each other.

But clearly they CAN do it. They would just rather not for some reason.

This is incredible

mbt fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jun 3, 2014

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Tae posted:

How much more Lu Su do you want? He's probably the most shown Wu officer out of the 3 storylines.

I love how he even has a pretty big role in Shu's hypothetical campaign, even though he's supposed to be dead by that point. Then again Guo Jia turns up in Shu's hypothetical so whatever.

It was still pretty funny that i was taking orders from Lu Su throughout the battle of Nanzhong while Zhuge just sat on his rear end in the main camp the entire battle though.

In conclusion; Lu Su's cool, more Lu Su is always good.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Speedball posted:

"I am my own opponent? This will be difficult!"

I really am gonna have to go through Free Mode at some point and see whether we get that kind of thing again. As we've just seen, the previous games were good at acknowledging that kind of weirdness.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Bloodly posted:

I really am gonna have to go through Free Mode at some point and see whether we get that kind of thing again. As we've just seen, the previous games were good at acknowledging that kind of weirdness.

There's nothing, unfortunately.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not even a leader switch if appropriate? Oh dear.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I just realized I forgot to ask this waaaaay back when DW8 launched in English, but did they translate all the "up" and "down" variants of all the things characters say to each other in Ambition mode?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Samurai Sanders posted:

I just realized I forgot to ask this waaaaay back when DW8 launched in English, but did they translate all the "up" and "down" variants of all the things characters say to each other in Ambition mode?

"Up" and "down"?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Schneider Heim posted:

"Up" and "down"?
Yeah, every character has two lines for every interaction, one for people above them socially and the other for below. So like, if Liu Bei and Xiaoquao talk to each other in any context, she will use her "up" line and he will use his "down" line. It's all listed in the voice test thing in the Japanese version.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Everyone has multiple responses to being beaten by, assisting, or joining people higher or lower on the social scale than them. They're marked 'superior' and 'inferior'.

They seem to be present, though of course I can't tell much because my character selection is slim. Unlocking them all would likely take as long as the full Ambition Mode itself, including the second campaign.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Bloodly posted:

Everyone has multiple responses to being beaten by, assisting, or joining people higher or lower on the social scale than them. They're marked 'superior' and 'inferior'.

drat that's neat. Is there a ranking of characters?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Schneider Heim posted:

drat that's neat. Is there a ranking of characters?
I was actually experimenting with that in the Japanese version. It tends to go kings/emperors > generals > officers, and also men > women and older > younger if they are of the same rank. There are some exceptions though.

edit: I haven't tested an older woman versus a younger man of the same rank though.

edit: this is just part of the background in Japanese language and culture, so I doubt Japanese faqs would list it.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jun 3, 2014

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as I'm aware. Some are obvious(Someone like Cao Cao will get talked 'up' to, as he is superior), some are not(Who the hell outranks Cao Cao that he'll be deferential?).

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jun 3, 2014

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Bloodly posted:

(Who the hell outranks Cao Cao that he'll be deferential?).

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I saw this opinion on someone's tumblr, so I wanted to ask; was pre DW6 Shu less insufferable? I know it brought several changes, mostly for the worse, but I hear that Liu Bei's motivation is less focused on BENEVOLENCE :byodood:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

I saw this opinion on someone's tumblr, so I wanted to ask; was pre DW6 Shu less insufferable? I know it brought several changes, mostly for the worse, but I hear that Liu Bei's motivation is less focused on BENEVOLENCE :byodood:

They were just kind of the vanilla good guys with Zhang Fei, Zhuge Liang and Guan Yu forming the core of their personality, since Liu Bei has always been kind of milquetoast. I don't remember what the dialogue was like, but it was probably even dumber than it is now.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Replace 'benevolence' with 'virtue.'

There you go.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Liu Bei just isn't as cool now without his moustache.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The Doomhammer posted:

Liu Bei just isn't as cool now without his moustache.

He looks like a kid without his mustache!

Now THAT is a regal mustache. Why did this guy fall by the wayside when the Three Kingdoms got established?

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Bloodly posted:

(Who the hell outranks Cao Cao that he'll be deferential?).

Pretty sure the Qaio's get his "to Superior" dialogue in either 7 or 8. Either that or they talk down to him.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Speedball posted:

Now THAT is a regal mustache. Why did this guy fall by the wayside when the Three Kingdoms got established?

Have you seen Cao Cao's mustache?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

If he kept his stache the fangirls/boys would keep complaining about how Shangxiang ended up with him.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

There's a Wei-uniform Guan Yu in 8, is there a Shu-uniform Shangxiang?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Speedball posted:

There's a Wei-uniform Guan Yu in 8, is there a Shu-uniform Shangxiang?

Yup.

Complete with green nail-polish.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

she wears it for most of the Wu story I think

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Dynasty Warriors 8: Empires is in this week's issue of Famitsu, for PS3 and PS4.

quote:

Dynasty Warriors 8: Empires is coming to PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3 this year in Japan, this week’s Famitsu reveals.

The game will featured enhanced Stratagems, as well as large-scale Stratagems. If you’re of a higher position, you can give orders to other military commanders.

Like the previous game, you can be married in Dynasty Warriors 8: Empires. A short time later, it is also possible to have children.

Players will be able to edit their flags, soldiers, and horses.

A number of new military commanders have been added, including Xun Yu, Cheng Pu, Lu Kang, Gao Shun, Wang Ping, and Zhuge Jin,

Two demos are planned for release before the game launches, dubbed “Edit” and “Cooperative” demos.

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jun 3, 2014

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
:eyepop:

Oh baby, I'm definitely looking forward to that!!

Keywords: cooperative/edit their soldiers/have children(how will that even work :v:)

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Cheng Pu! loving FINALLY.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

I'm more surprised it's a separate release, given Ambition, especially with the second part, is practically an Empires mode as is.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm bad with determining gender by chinese names, or are they all male?

Also about loving time Xun Yu is there.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
Xun Yu, about loving time. This is gonna be ace.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Man I miss experimenting with this game.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Reading the article it says "At least one new military commander has been added" so only one of those listed names are in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Wait, you could get married in previous Empires games? Huh. I have DW7 Empires and that's never come up.