Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I shouldn't tell you this but you're the only one I can trust...
I went 2-2 at Imdaar yesterday with:

Soontir w/ RGI, PtL, SD, TC
Turr w/ VI, SD
2x Scimitar w/ Seismic

I felt a little cheated since the first round I played against a new player who was late setting up. The TO shortened the round to 50 minutes. Opponent got a modified victory for taking out my bombers. We only actually played about 35 minutes though, and the Interceptors were lined up to tear apart his remaining XBB.

The last game against 3 B's w/ FCS,HLC was fun, but Soontir was one-shot through an asteroid from a natural roll of 4 hits, 0 evades, 0 focus, so the two tokens he had couldn't save him. Even so, Turr managed to take down two Bs via arc dodging before getting blasted by the last.

No hard feelings to either opponent of course, but I do feel like the 1st round was far too short (think the official minumum is 60?) and that would have changed the whole day. I usually take Hull upgrade instead of Stealth because it tends to fail me in just that way, but I correctly anticipated the presence of many a Falcon, and the winning strategy against that with this list is to block with the bombers and keep the Ints at Range 3 for 3 naked vs. 5 focus, sometimes Turr can even dodge back out of range after his shot. Usually works okay.

Edit: Though in the first round, I did foolishly leave a 1-HP X-Wing alone to dodge the Bs. Should've just finished it off, would've probably netted a full victory. Even so, the short round was really irksome.

Edit 2: Also, I had a lot of fun every game, it was a good crowd of players and I definitely had fun trying to outfly. I love the dials on bombers. Interesting to fly, especially while trying to drop bombs. Want to try with proximity mines instead. Don't really want to buy another Firespray just for another bomb, though.

Lunatic Pathos fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Lunatic Pathos posted:

I went 2-2 at Imdaar yesterday with:

Soontir w/ RGI, PtL, SD, TC
Turr w/ VI, SD
2x Scimitar w/ Seismic

I felt a little cheated since the first round I played against a new player who was late setting up. The TO shortened the round to 50 minutes. Opponent got a modified victory for taking out my bombers. We only actually played about 35 minutes though, and the Interceptors were lined up to tear apart his remaining XBB.

The last game against 3 B's w/ FCS,HLC was fun, but Soontir was one-shot through an asteroid from a natural roll of 4 hits, 0 evades, 0 focus, so the two tokens he had couldn't save him. Even so, Turr managed to take down two Bs via arc dodging before getting blasted by the last.

No hard feelings to either opponent of course, but I do feel like the 1st round was far too short (think the official minumum is 60?) and that would have changed the whole day. I usually take Hull upgrade instead of Stealth because it tends to fail me in just that way, but I correctly anticipated the presence of many a Falcon, and the winning strategy against that with this list is to block with the bombers and keep the Ints at Range 3 for 3 naked vs. 5 focus, sometimes Turr can even dodge back out of range after his shot. Usually works okay.

Edit: Though in the first round, I did foolishly leave a 1-HP X-Wing alone to dodge the Bs. Should've just finished it off, would've probably netted a full victory. Even so, the short round was really irksome.

Edit 2: Also, I had a lot of fun every game, it was a good crowd of players and I definitely had fun trying to outfly. I love the dials on bombers. Interesting to fly, especially while trying to drop bombs. Want to try with proximity mines instead. Don't really want to buy another Firespray just for another bomb, though.

How do feel about bombers with just bombs and no missiles/torps?

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Don't let dogs get any part of fish.
I took first at my local Imdaar event that I also ran as TO (which was pretty exhausting). I played my standard list of Soontir with PtL and Stealth, Howlrunner, and 4 Academy TIEs. I used to throw Determination on Howl, but I kept it at 99 this time to dictate initiative per the new tourney rules.

My first match was almost a mirror match with my opponent running Jax with Stealth, Howl with Stealth and Swarm Tactics, and 4 Academys. The asteroids were a little more crowded than I would have liked and I had to do some fancy spacing during deployment and barrel rolling after the first move to get my guys into formation, but it worked out great. My opponent on the other hand botched one of his dials to the wrong speed turn and caused a traffic jam that persisted into round 2 when I was able to shoot at him. Soontir had come around the flank and was able to land 2 damage at range 2 on an actionless Jax that got finished off by focused TIE fire and it was pretty downhill for him from there with my superior firepower picking off his ships one by one while I only lost one or two TIEs.

Round 2 was against another Imp list with a Bounty Hunter with Gunner, two Bombers with Seismic Charges, and two Obsidian TIEs. He wasn't able to stick any damage on me for the entire game until a charge hit 4 of my ships in one burst, but by then it was too late and I'd taken out enough of his stuff to score a match win when time was called.

Round 3 was the highlight of the event for me against a Rebel player new to the shop running Dutch with Ion and R2, a Gold with the same, a Blue with Advanced Sensors, and a Blue with nothing. Double Ions and a lot of sturdy ships with good firepower on the Bs was pretty scary for me from the beginning and proved to be almost the end of me at the end. He took apart my swarm pretty handily, with me dropping the shields on a Blue and then managing to put a good deal of damage on Dutch after causing a collision with my surviving Academys. He tried to get away with one hull left, but Soontir threw himself in front of an asteroid to get the kill shot while the last remaining TIE managed to down the unshielded B. The rest of the game was a lot of tense maneuvers on both sides with the TIE plinking damage slowly off the Y-Wing while Soontir jousted the remaining Blue. Once the Blue was dead, Soontir and the TIE were able to gang up on the Gold and end things, but Soontir had to evade a lot of Ion shots to do it. Very tense game and a very rewarding win.

My final game put me up against my friend Joey who was incredibly hungover from a night of heavy drinking and had to stop a couple of times during our game for vomit breaks. He ran a list that I helped him build with Soontir with PtL and Stealth, Jax with the same, Lorrir, and an Academy. My 99 points let me force him to take initiative and he deployed spread out accross the board with the Fighter in the middle, Jax and Lorrir on one extreme flank and Soontir on the other. I put my swarm in the middle and faced my Soontir off against his. First turn I banked all of my guys toward Soontir and left his fleet playing catch up with no shots for the first few turns. I wasn't able to stick any damage on Fel at this point, but I kept him on the defensive running away from the giant swarm and my Fel on his tail. Eventually he got the rest of his fleet caught up to me, but I had turned around and looped my Fel about to shoot up Jax, landing 2 damage on him and giving him the crit that would deal a third and final damage if he collided with anything. Unfortunately for him, TIE swarms tend to cause collisions pretty frequently and I ran everyone in front of him next round to give him nowhere to go. I also turned my Soontir back to focus attention on his, who had also turned toward my guys, but as he moved first I was able to work some Interceptor magic and get in his flank, landing two damage and letting my swarm finish him off. From there with his two Aces out of the way, it was just a matter of mopping up.

I took home a Phantom and plan to use the store credit I got from running the tournament to grab a Defender when they come out!

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
I played at the FFG flagship store, they opened three kits, so everyone got two Bandit cards, first got all 4 ships, 2-7th each chose one, and the last was given randomly to someone else. I won the drawing so nabbed a Z-95.

Then drove over to a 10pm start across town where I went 4-0 and nabbed a Defender.

Currently at #3, 0-2 at the moment, but we've got one more event at 6pm tonight!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

alg posted:

I would be really happy to play well enough to win a free ship

Managed to win an E-Wing :unsmith: Super excited for new options, can't wait for the new wave to hit, both TIEs are baller as heck

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Came in 5th at my second Imdaar event down here. Got a huge-sized Han Solo/Boba Fett card as consolation.

We were messing around with the TIE Phantom--with Echo, you can do some CRAZY stuff. Decloak sideways with the curve forward, then do a hard 1 or 2 in the opposite direction of your decloak, then barrel roll, and you can basically do a 1-2 white K-turn with a 45 degree heading change.

E: and the guy in the final ran Rexler Brath with a HLC, and had Captain Jonus flying wingman for rerolls. Kinda murderous.

overdesigned fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jun 2, 2014

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.
Went to Imdaar #3 today. Same old Krassis/HLC/Rebel Captive, Howlrunner, 3x Academy Pilot list. Crazily enough, I was fielding the only TIE Fighters in a 16-person field-- there were only 5 or 6 Imperials, and most of them were flying Interceptors or Bombers, with the occasional Firespray or shuttle.

Round 1: My opponent had 2x Green Squadron A-Wing with PtL and Concussion Missiles, a Gold Squadron Pilot with Ion Turret, and an X-Wing with some upgrades. He flew rather badly, crashing a lot and overlapping asteroids several times, and soon I had killed all but one A-Wing. That A-Wing led me on a merry chase but ultimately went down. Full win without losing a ship.

Round 2: My opponent was the same Garvin Dreis, Dutch Vander, 2x Rookie player I had encountered on Friday. This game was a virtual repeat of our last one-- we maneuvered for a bit and then jousted, and my dice beat his quite brutally. I took another full win without losing a ship.

Round 3: My opponent was my good friend Andrew (who I had also played on Friday), running Luke + R2D2 and 2x Dagger Squadron Pilots with Advanced Sensors and Heavy Laser Cannons. This match was much closer than our previous one-- Luke escaped the initial turmoil with one hull, but regenerated both shields with R2D2 before engaging again. Andrew managed to drop Howlrunner and two TIEs and throw some damage on Krassis, but in the end my last TIE got behind his stressed B-Wing and took it down, while Luke succumbed to Krassis's rear-firing gun. Full win.

Round 4: My opponent, a highly experienced player, had the exact same Krassis as me, plus Carnor Jax and a Royal Guard, both with Push the Limit. Near the start of the game he made a serious error while trying to get Carnor past my formation, ending up right in front of it. I capitalized on the move by blowing Carnor away, then turned to engage his other ships. My dice were on fire, and my TIEs swarmed his Krassis, taking him down without a loss. The Royal Guard dodged arcs for a while and got Howlrunner down to one hull, but eventually succumbed. Luck was absolutely with me this game, and given the unfavorable beginning my opponent really didn't have much of a chance of recovering.

For the final round, I was paired against the best of the 3-1s. However, we had our eyes set on different ships and the event had started late and gone long, so we decided to call it without a final match. This means that I (improbably) won three out of three Imdaars I attended, and that I now don't need anything from the next wave, at least if I keep playing Imperials! I have no idea how this happened-- perhaps "beginner's luck" is real?-- but I am quite satisfied with the result!

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Guys, sell me on Torpedoes. I see so many people use them, and yet, every time I find them underwhelming for a one shot cost. I had two B-Wings salvo theirs into a Slave-1 last night, with Focus, and came away with a total of 2 damage. When I think that every time I take three ships with them, I could have had a whole extra Z-95 flying around, or better, I could have slapped Engine Upgrades or other utility upgrades onto the ships themselves it feels... a poor use of points.

Am I just screwing up somehow?

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Shockeh posted:

Guys, sell me on Torpedoes. I see so many people use them, and yet, every time I find them underwhelming for a one shot cost. I had two B-Wings salvo theirs into a Slave-1 last night, with Focus, and came away with a total of 2 damage. When I think that every time I take three ships with them, I could have had a whole extra Z-95 flying around, or better, I could have slapped Engine Upgrades or other utility upgrades onto the ships themselves it feels... a poor use of points.

Am I just screwing up somehow?

3 torpedoes is 12 points and 12 attack dice, but do you think that Z95 would live long enough to roll 12 (unmodified, too) dice of its own? How much damage would it manage?

I realize there are other benefits to having a whole extra ship (blocking, soaking damage) but I dunno. One bad run with torps shouldn't totally sour you on them/expendables in general? If the dice had gone more your way you could have dropped 6-ish damage easily.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

overdesigned posted:

3 torpedoes is 12 points and 12 attack dice, but do you think that Z95 would live long enough to roll 12 (unmodified, too) dice of its own? How much damage would it manage?

I realize there are other benefits to having a whole extra ship (blocking, soaking damage) but I dunno. One bad run with torps shouldn't totally sour you on them/expendables in general? If the dice had gone more your way you could have dropped 6-ish damage easily.

That isn't a true comparison though. If those torps were on X-Wings that fired primary attacks, especially with the target lock they'd spent on the torpedoes, that's 9 more dice there, plus 2 from the Bandit. Now it only needs to survive a round or two, and can give added utility as a blocker or forcing the opponent to split their fire. Unless you have Jonus, Horton, or some other ability to amp them up, torpedoes are rarely worth it.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

overdesigned posted:

Yeah, as pbpancho has said; It's not a direct comparison, because the 3 X-Wings (or whatever) carrying them could have fired 9 dice for no points, and used those Target Locks you had to make for re-rolls, which might even be advantageous if someone wants to run the maths. It's not the first time I've run them, that might have just been the last straw for me.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
In other news, I nabbed a Phantom at my 4th Imdaar Alpha event last night! 6pm-1am, 9 players, 4 rounds. Ended up 2-2. We had a 4-0, 3-1, and FIVE 2-2s, but myself and a friend had the best strength of schedule so we got the ships. I ran a weird squad I'd never tried before, 2 Reds, Hobbie with the EPT droid and PTL, and a Gold with Ion and R3-A2 (stress droid).

That means the only Wave 4 ship I didn't win was the E-Wing

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
Ain't nothing like spending an entire weekend locked in game stores!

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

My LGS isn't having its Imdaar Alpha event until this Saturday coming, half tempted to go along if I can blag it with the wife.. limited to 16 players, does that sound right?

edit: and only 8 people signed up so far... hrmm

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

It should go up up to as many as you want. There are only enough promo cards for the top 16 though. So maybe they didn't want to put people out?

enri
Dec 16, 2003

TheKingslayer posted:

It should go up up to as many as you want. There are only enough promo cards for the top 16 though. So maybe they didn't want to put people out?

To be honest, it wouldn't surprise me if they were limited by the physical space available, there's a reason I stopped going to the local club when they changed venue to the LGS (paying £2 a week for the privilege of playing the same people I can play at my house, without the cramped conditions and excessive noise of 40k players diving around tables :v:)

It does say on their site that every player will get the promo card too, what ship is it for?

edit: wait, is that just the Z-95 pilot? :what:

enri fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 2, 2014

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

enri posted:

To be honest, it wouldn't surprise me if they were limited by the physical space available, there's a reason I stopped going to the local club when they changed venue to the LGS (paying £2 a week for the privilege of playing the same people I can play at my house, without the cramped conditions and excessive noise of 40k players diving around tables :v:)

It does say on their site that every player will get the promo card too, what ship is it for?

Headhunter

\/\/ Yep. I hate the design.

midge fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 2, 2014

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Why are the promo cards different in feel from the commercially available cards? I wish all cards were like this. It feels better. Also, does it bother anybody else that the promo cards don't have the icons?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Chill la Chill posted:

Why are the promo cards different in feel from the commercially available cards? I wish all cards were like this. It feels better. Also, does it bother anybody else that the promo cards don't have the icons?

FFG has their promos printed by an on demand printer stateside. For mass printing it is more economical to have them printed at one of the Chinese super printatoriums.

Their on demand printer doesn't have the same stock.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Man that Etahn A'baht E-Wing is going to be everywhere, 32 points for guaranteed crits on everything in front of you is just too good to be true. It'll still be hard to take down if you pair it with someone like Biggs who'll take the heat off Etahn.

It'll be absolutely brutal against unshielded TIEs, so stock TIE Interceptors and such.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

pbpancho posted:

That isn't a true comparison though. If those torps were on X-Wings that fired primary attacks, especially with the target lock they'd spent on the torpedoes, that's 9 more dice there, plus 2 from the Bandit. Now it only needs to survive a round or two, and can give added utility as a blocker or forcing the opponent to split their fire. Unless you have Jonus, Horton, or some other ability to amp them up, torpedoes are rarely worth it.

Okay, yeah--thinking of it as a increase on the ship's existing attack dice rather than just 12 raw dice out of nowhere really cuts the legs off my argument.

Torpedoes are poo poo, heavy laser cannons for life I guess.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

Leo Showers posted:

Man that Etahn A'baht E-Wing is going to be everywhere, 32 points for guaranteed crits on everything in front of you is just too good to be true. It'll still be hard to take down if you pair it with someone like Biggs who'll take the heat off Etahn.

It'll be absolutely brutal against unshielded TIEs, so stock TIE Interceptors and such.

I've been comparing him to Howlrunner. He really is a force multiplier. E'tan and a smattering of 95's will be something rebs will try.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

overdesigned posted:

Okay, yeah--thinking of it as a increase on the ship's existing attack dice rather than just 12 raw dice out of nowhere really cuts the legs off my argument.

Torpedoes are poo poo, heavy laser cannons for life I guess.

Yep, HLC is essentially a torpedo you can fire every turn, just can't crit with it usually. Ion pulse missiles, Flechette torpedoes, assault, and cluster missiles are more situationally better though. Regular protons or concussions though, not as much.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Feeple posted:

I've been comparing him to Howlrunner. He really is a force multiplier. E'tan and a smattering of 95's will be something rebs will try.

He's arguably better than Howl, since you can fit a lot more ships into a 3 range firing arc than within range 1 of the ship. Though it's not a perfect comparison as you're not controlling where the enemy ships are. But still, I can see him being used more to try and get as many guys into arc than actively trying to score hits himself. And the fact that he can benefit from his own ability too is a step up from Howl. Oh, and not to mention that the other allied ships firing at the target can be anywhere on the field, they don't have to be in arc or near Etahn.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

What do y'all think about Han Solo crew version? Is he worth putting on any iteration of the Falcon, or is he strictly meant for lounging around on Huge ships?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

It's pretty good and the only limiter really is points. As potentially good as the two new TIE's could be, I really think the Rebels are the clear winner as far as really cool toys go in Wave 4.

I had a whole heap of words written basically breaking down why I think swarms still exist as they do but it basically boils down to that Carnor Jax is pretty much the only support Interceptor, and I think that Imperials lack more than a couple good supporting pilots (ie Howl, Vader). I also don't think the Rebels suffer from this same thing which is why you see a bit more variation (at least I do).

The new TIE's will probably be tacked on to lists which exist now as some kind of cool flanking ship. I'll be pleasantly surprised if they do well competitively.

e:

Jonas Albrecht posted:

What do y'all think about Han Solo crew version? Is he worth putting on any iteration of the Falcon, or is he strictly meant for lounging around on Huge ships?

Hard to say, I think he's a basic auto-include on the Corvette if you want to hit anything, as a huge ship can't actually focus. I haven't actually put together any regular lists with him in it, so I can't comment any further.

Recoome fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jun 3, 2014

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Leo Showers posted:

It's pretty good and the only limiter really is points. As potentially good as the two new TIE's could be, I really think the Rebels are the clear winner as far as really cool toys go in Wave 4.

I had a whole heap of words written basically breaking down why I think swarms still exist as they do but it basically boils down to that Carnor Jax is pretty much the only support Interceptor, and I think that Imperials lack more than a couple good supporting pilots (ie Howl, Vader). I also don't think the Rebels suffer from this same thing which is why you see a bit more variation (at least I do).

The new TIE's will probably be tacked on to lists which exist now as some kind of cool flanking ship. I'll be pleasantly surprised if they do well competitively.

The Imperials do have Jonus too as far as supporting units, but they definitely are lacking compared to the Rebels. Which is really unfortunate, personally I think things should be sort of reversed if anything, with the Imperial ships being pretty bad alone, but certain pilots/ship abilities/Imperial-specific upgrades let them support each other and make a squad better than the sum of its parts, whereas the Rebels have pound for pound better ships and pilots, but they don't necessarily mesh as cleanly together.

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Don't let dogs get any part of fish.
I feel like the biggest thing the new Imp ships do is make 3 ship builds viable. I've been running a Whisper, Soontir, Delta combo for a few weeks now using proxies and it has performed great against a variety of lists. I'm probably going to try out a version of that with Turr replacing the Delta until Wave 4 is out since I have a Phantom now.

I know people complain about lack of Imperial synergy, but that's kind of the point of it all; better individual Empire pilots or swarms of chaff fighting against the Rebels with their lesser solo pilots and greater teamwork.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Shoeless posted:

He's arguably better than Howl, since you can fit a lot more ships into a 3 range firing arc than within range 1 of the ship. Though it's not a perfect comparison as you're not controlling where the enemy ships are. But still, I can see him being used more to try and get as many guys into arc than actively trying to score hits himself. And the fact that he can benefit from his own ability too is a step up from Howl. Oh, and not to mention that the other allied ships firing at the target can be anywhere on the field, they don't have to be in arc or near Etahn.

Hes not really better than Howlrunner though. You can take 6 Academies with Howl in a 100 pt list, which is going to be more than the amount of Z-95s you can take with Etahn since hes baseline 32 points. Its not hard to get all 6 of those Ties in range 1 of Howl. Etahns ability is nice and all but you need to actually land those hits first and a 2 dice attack from a Z-95 is less likely to hit than a 2 dice Tie attack modified by Howl. Also if your opponent is running anything with shields especially Falcons, B-wings, Firesprays, your first few round 1 hits are just getting absorbed so turning them into crits is meaningless.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I reckon it'll be really good when paired with someone like Wedge or Han who can reliably land shots. This also doesn't count shots coming from Etahn. But as I said before, the real limiter is going to be points.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

zVxTeflon posted:

Hes not really better than Howlrunner though. You can take 6 Academies with Howl in a 100 pt list, which is going to be more than the amount of Z-95s you can take with Etahn since hes baseline 32 points. Its not hard to get all 6 of those Ties in range 1 of Howl. Etahns ability is nice and all but you need to actually land those hits first and a 2 dice attack from a Z-95 is less likely to hit than a 2 dice Tie attack modified by Howl. Also if your opponent is running anything with shields especially Falcons, B-wings, Firesprays, your first few round 1 hits are just getting absorbed so turning them into crits is meaningless.

I was thinking most of this too. Abaht is nearly 3 times the points of a Z-95, his skill only works on things in his arc, and it only works on hits you already land, which doesn't help against shields. He's also not nearly as good with Swarm Tactics, and the popularity of Chewbacca makes him a little less useful.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

How does this look for a bodged together imperial list?

Soontir Fel + PTL
Howlrunner + Squad Leader stealth device
Tempest Squadron Pilot + Cluster Missiles
Academy Pilot
Academy Pilot

99 100 points

I have a friend coming round for a few games tonight and need to work out a list for the weekend in advance, struggling at the moment to find a combo I like. I lean towards quantity over quality (I play imperial for a reason) - the tempest squadron pilot is in there to make up numbers and he has cluster missiles purely on the off chance that my opponents will overlook the threat from him and concentrate on the bigger named pilots.

edit: changed squad leader for stealth device, I forgot the 'lower PS' requirement of squad leader and was planning on using it on tur phennir (before I switched for soontir fel) - I guess it could still be applicable if used on the advanced or other ties but I want soontir and howlrunner to team up and leave the ties and advanced as a distraction of sorts. Dunno. I'll give it a run out tonight and see how it handles.

enri fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 3, 2014

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I shouldn't tell you this but you're the only one I can trust...

Shoeless posted:

The Imperials do have Jonus too as far as supporting units, but they definitely are lacking compared to the Rebels. Which is really unfortunate, personally I think things should be sort of reversed if anything, with the Imperial ships being pretty bad alone, but certain pilots/ship abilities/Imperial-specific upgrades let them support each other and make a squad better than the sum of its parts, whereas the Rebels have pound for pound better ships and pilots, but they don't necessarily mesh as cleanly together.

Yeah, I disagree. Thematically, the Empire doesn't care about its individual pilots. They don't merit support. We'll just send a ton of them. They do have some elite pilots, but its from a survival of the fittest winnowing. Hardened vets who've survived dozens of battles on their own wits and reflexes, since they get no support. The few support guys they've got are born leaders, who can make their team work better through discipline, not through caring. They are officers, not support personnel.

Rebels are few. They care about each other. They have to use support tactics of they will die by attrition. If the Empire had teams that could really work together and support each other, rather than just fly around in a group for strength-in-numbers, the Rebels would all be dead.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Has anyone tried a list like this? I won a HWK as a runner-up prize and never had one before.

Roark with ion turret, wedge with swarm tactics and hull upgrade, 2x Rookie x-wings. Or swap them for b-wings.

I figure this could be a decent variant of Han shoots first where you'll have PS12, PS9, PS9 and hopefully an ion cannon shot to disable a couple ships before they fire. I'm really surprised you can make a cheap high PS rebel list with 4 ships like this.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I was thinking a list like this might be fun:

Etahn A'baht
Ten Numb + Advanced Sensors + Veteran Instincts
Biggs Darklighter + R2-D2 + Shield Upgrade

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Chill la Chill posted:

Has anyone tried a list like this? I won a HWK as a runner-up prize and never had one before.

Roark with ion turret, wedge with swarm tactics and hull upgrade, 2x Rookie x-wings. Or swap them for b-wings.

I figure this could be a decent variant of Han shoots first where you'll have PS12, PS9, PS9 and hopefully an ion cannon shot to disable a couple ships before they fire. I'm really surprised you can make a cheap high PS rebel list with 4 ships like this.

The guy who (I think) won the Imdaar Alpha event I went to over the weekend used Roark in his list for the final table. The guy was very adamant that higher PS shots are going to become really important as Wave 4 comes out and starts to get used.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

That's what I was thinking plus the absurdity of taking down some of the best fighters before they can even shoot. I think I'll give it a try and see how formations work because I assume you will want to joust and you need to be sure the HWK is just in range for the ability after u-turns but not be shot down during the first pass.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Lunatic Pathos posted:

Yeah, I disagree. Thematically, the Empire doesn't care about its individual pilots. They don't merit support. We'll just send a ton of them. They do have some elite pilots, but its from a survival of the fittest winnowing. Hardened vets who've survived dozens of battles on their own wits and reflexes, since they get no support. The few support guys they've got are born leaders, who can make their team work better through discipline, not through caring. They are officers, not support personnel.

Rebels are few. They care about each other. They have to use support tactics of they will die by attrition. If the Empire had teams that could really work together and support each other, rather than just fly around in a group for strength-in-numbers, the Rebels would all be dead.

The issue then is that the Rebels also get a good deal of really good solo guys, as well as guys who work well as support. And quite frankly, I don't like it when one side has a lot of varying options that can work well, and another has options that are effective, but fewer of them. Just looking through this thread, I've seen very similar Empire lists crop up. Krassis w/ HLC + small TIE swarm, Howl + TIE Swarm, etc. The rebels seem to get much more variance in lists that I see, both here and elsewhere. And I think that isn't just that Rebel players are more imaginative or anything, I think it's that there's just fewer Imperial options that work as well. Because in the end, force multipliers are very important. If you give one faction a bunch of guys that can enhance other units in the list and let them do some different things that they couldn't do alone, that opens up a lot of new territory for experimentation and things that work. With individual solo pilots, they may be good, yeah, but you're going to start seeing only certain ones get used as people play and find out which end up being better.

This is why I think Etahn is better than Howlrunner. Not just mechanically, which is certainly arguable (and indeed a couple of people have already!), but in terms of expanding the meta, offering new options to his faction. When you find Howlrunner, you think "Oh hey, I can use her to really add to the capability of my TIE Fighter swarm!" because of various factors (have to be within range 1, so ships with too different move profiles from her will find it difficult, too fragile to really try running with a more elite list since she'll be a comparatively easy target) whereas with Etahn, you can fit him effectively into a lot more lists, even if they're not Z-95 swarms. Taking him also means you needn't cluster your forces like you would with Howl, since the other guys don't need to be within a certain distance of him. So whereas Howl is a good force multiplier for a close knit TIE Fighter swarm, Etahn is a good one for multiple different list types, simply by not having to worry about whether the ships you try to use with him are going to be able to keep up, or if you can keep them in formation.

As for the fluff on Imperials lacking support pilots... I'm not a huge Star Wars fan. I've seen the movies, I've read some EU books (gently caress Crystal Star, and the author who wrote it), and that's about it. I see this as a game first and foremost, and if keeping so strictly to the fluff of the universe limits the effective options of a faction in the game, then to me the obvious thing to do is to put the gameplay first. This is very subjective, obviously, but that's my view on the matter.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

I just grabbed a Plano double-sided carrier to store all my ships, and the options are kinda overwhelming. Anyone else using the same box? If so, would you mind posting some pictures so I can see how you have it organized?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

I just grabbed a Plano double-sided carrier to store all my ships, and the options are kinda overwhelming. Anyone else using the same box? If so, would you mind posting some pictures so I can see how you have it organized?

I had two of the single sided ones but I upgraded this week to this in preparation for Wave 4:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Plano-Angled-Tackle-System/15904153

It's only available at walmart so I had to make a special trip but it was worth it.

• Locked thread