Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

You shouldn't need Phoenix on Emerald unless you load up excessively on materia to the point where Aire Tam Storm one-shots you. He does benefit from being high enough level (and/or using enough HP-boosting materia) to actually live through his other attacks, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Jibo posted:

Eh, there's still a decent amount of grinding needed which is what stopped me. I tried following the "gimick" a few times but was too low of level. Emerald I did finally do the grinding for and beat him but couldn't be assed to go back and try Ruby.

Which gimmick did you try? (there are several ways to cheese him, my preferred one is to go in with two characters dead and W-Summon Hades and KotR all day)

He retracts the tentacles immediately if two characters are dead, and is vulnerable to Paralyze.

Dross fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 2, 2014

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Jibo posted:

Eh, there's still a decent amount of grinding needed which is what stopped me.

Except Ruby Weapon requires no grinding at all because it's stupidly easy, and can be paralyzed.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Lessail posted:

Oh cool. I'll keep on doing my thing then.

Don't give this little fucker anything, though!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
You can tell he's bad because he's got the normal battle music.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Dragonatrix posted:

Except Ruby Weapon requires no grinding at all because it's stupidly easy, and can be paralyzed.

I had no idea he was vulnerable to stop! I usually just went in with the Mystile, Phoenix, Final Attack, a Master Summon, and then soft reset until he ate the characters I didn't want.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Vil posted:

You shouldn't need Phoenix on Emerald unless you load up excessively on materia to the point where Aire Tam Storm one-shots you. He does benefit from being high enough level (and/or using enough HP-boosting materia) to actually live through his other attacks, of course.

What bothered me about Emerald is that I do not remember any in game information or clues which explain how Aire Tam Storm works. Unless you read about it elsewhere or are told about it by someone it just seems like an attack that will one shot your party without Phoenix. Other than that, the fight is pretty darn awesome.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Xavier434 posted:

What bothered me about Emerald is that I do not remember any in game information or clues which explain how Aire Tam Storm works. Unless you read about it elsewhere or are told about it by someone it just seems like an attack that will one shot your party without Phoenix. Other than that, the fight is pretty darn awesome.

Its name is the clue.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Dross posted:

Its name is the clue.

That is excessively vague.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Mrots Mat Eria? What kinda stupid machina bullshit is this? Where's my Al Bhed dictionary...

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Xavier434 posted:

That is excessively vague.

TCELES B HSUP

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Chaotic Flame posted:

I feel like Tales of and Star Ocean did optional superbosses the best, because they're not just HP sacks and they're usually fun battles
Well, those games have a combat system that actually allows for fun battles, to be brutally honest. And even then, some optional bosses in those games can be a little weird: Nephilim in Abyss takes like an hour to kill on the highest difficulty, and she loves to just time stop and oneshot your party halfway through the battle.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Toshimo posted:

TCELES B HSUP

Butch Sleeps
She Pest Club
Help But Secs

ImpAtom posted:

Optional superbosses are great when they are designed in such a way that you seriously have to consider how to take them on. They suck when they're just HP sacks with huge numbers who effectively are level-checks or who take entirely too long after you figure out their gimmick.

I agree, FF13 had the best optional superbosses.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dr Snofeld posted:

FFIX's superbosses were pretty good in that regard, you didn't have to grind for hours upon hours to be able to stand a chance against them.

I like FFIX's optional bosses because it has Hades.
1. He looks cool.
2. He has Hunter's Chance as his boss theme.
3. If you beat Ozma, he has dialogue that amounts to "well I'm right hosed aren't I."

I really do value self-awareness. If only a final boss could say stuff like that. You beat Penance and Jecht is like "well I'm boned."

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hades was originally going to be the final boss of FF9, if that counts for anything.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Ok this counter hit thing enemies seem to have in increasing numbers is real drat annoying and slows down the fights by a lot

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ImpAtom posted:

I would say my other big problem is that in MMOs I absolutely prefer playing the healer/support role which I would imagine is the least conductive to soloing the game. Which is my own problem more than the game's.

Play Aion (don't, it's terrible) because Clerics are utterly batshit in that game and can switch between being a healer or poo poo-wrecking damage machine.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Aurain posted:

SCH is a better DPS than WHM in XIV, but even WHM can knock out around 40% of the damage per second that a DPS class can in XIV when it's well geared. 40% of the damage means you can kill monsters reasonably quick, which means solo'ing isn't that bad whatsoever on healing classes.

The story in XIV is poo poo though, so don't buy it just for that. Just levelling up to 50 and doing a bunch of stuff is fun for a casual player.

I'd actually say it's higher than 40%. DPS tends to rely on positional attacks that don't work solo, a whm or sch probably deals close to 70% of the damage of a real dps class on solo content.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I want to play FFVI again, what's the best translation available?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Thauros posted:

I want to play FFVI again, what's the best translation available?

The GBA translation is overall the best. The SNES translation has some popular phrases (son of a submariner) but a lot of wonky translations or minor censorship (Pearl instead of Holy, ect). The SNES translation wasn't terrible or anything but you might as well go for the cleaned up one that also has extra content.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
You can sprint in the GBA version without spending a relic slot on sprint shoes. That's good.

The music and SFX are a lot worse on the GBA's sound hardware. That's bad.

I don't think it's worth trading the music for a slightly improved translation and lackluster bonus content.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The GBA version also fixes a number of bugs. Such as Evade actually working properly. The music is a bit worse but it isn't like it is replaced by howling bat screeches. There are patches to fix the SNES version but generally it isn't worth going out of the way. (Also all the SNES retranslation patches are pretty bad, before you ask. Just use the original SNES translation if you're going that route.)

Avoid the iOS and the PS1 versions no matter what. Both are lovely for different reasons.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 3, 2014

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
GBA version with almost all of these patches installed, best of both worlds. http://www.romhacking.net/?page=hacks&game=819

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

The music is a bit worse but it isn't like it is replaced by howling bat screeches.

It's really bad in my opinion (but I don't think it features any howling bat screeches).

Decisive Battle on GBA
Devil's Lab on GBA
Battle to the Death on GBA

If that music patch fixes it then I have no complaints.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It sounds fine to me? Like obviously worse quality but it sounds fine.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Square-Enix is announcing a new game at next week's E3.

Is there any chance of it somehow being another Lightning Final Fantasy, or maybe even 16?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eddain posted:

Is there any chance of it somehow being another Lightning Final Fantasy, or maybe even 16?
It's probably Bravely Default 2. Or something to do with Tomb Raider or Deus Ex, since it's at E3.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I like FFIX's optional bosses because it has Hades.
1. He looks cool.
2. He has Hunter's Chance as his boss theme.
3. If you beat Ozma, he has dialogue that amounts to "well I'm right hosed aren't I."

I really do value self-awareness. If only a final boss could say stuff like that. You beat Penance and Jecht is like "well I'm boned."

A very good version of this happens in Dragon Quest 6, except I think you have to have beaten the final boss regularly before you can even access the superboss.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eddain posted:

No. It's going to be a Tomb Raider 2 or something if it is at E3.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

No one should rule out Tomb Raider 2 featuring Lightning.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

A very good version of this happens in Dragon Quest 6, except I think you have to have beaten the final boss regularly before you can even access the superboss.

Yup, if memory serves they do that in IV and V as well, although VI is the funniest about it. Doesn't Nokturnus/DarkDream show up and just murder the final boss for you?
EDIT: That was the trick, I think V was the only one that didn't really do anything after you beat him.

TARDISman fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jun 3, 2014

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
From what I remember of DQVI the whole dealie is if you defeat the Bonus Boss in under twenty turns, he basically goes, "Wow, you're really strong, I'll do you a favour." and then he teleports you all to the final spot in the game so you can watch him murder the last boss for you.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Barudak posted:

No one should rule out Tomb Raider 2 featuring Lightning.

No joke, I'd be down for a buddy action game featuring Lara and Lightning.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I would not be tremendously shocked if there was a Lightning costume for Lara in Tomb Raider 2 considering there's a Tomb Raider costume for Lightning in LR.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

The GIG posted:

I can only imagine this actually being enjoyable if they dropped any sort of blankness either character has, and took what personality they do have to the logical extreme. Like, Lightning could just be supper irritable and sarcastic, while Lara is... optimistic? I didn't play the new Tomb Raider, I just know she gets more confident in her ability to survive as the game progresses.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

The GIG posted:

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light 2 - Guardian Of Lightning.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Mr. Maltose posted:

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light 2 - Guardian Of Lightning.

Optional Serah costume for Lara only $15

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Dragonatrix posted:

Can you beat ruby weapon without Knights of the Round? I want to get a gold chocobo on this playthrough but I dont know if I have the heart to run around breeding them for hours. I think you get a gold chocobo as a reward for killing ruby.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Butt Ghost posted:

I can only imagine this actually being enjoyable if they dropped any sort of blankness either character has, and took what personality they do have to the logical extreme. Like, Lightning could just be supper irritable and sarcastic, while Lara is... optimistic? I didn't play the new Tomb Raider, I just know she gets more confident in her ability to survive as the game progresses.
Lara goes from "oh god holy poo poo why does everyone hate me aaaah" to "I WILL MURDER EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU FUCKERS WITH MY GRENADE LAUNCHER". It's...actually pretty cool.

Lightning goes from "hmpf" to "ach" to "grr" to "hng" to "whatever".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Simply Simon posted:

Lara goes from "oh god holy poo poo why does everyone hate me aaaah" to "I WILL MURDER EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU FUCKERS WITH MY GRENADE LAUNCHER". It's...actually pretty cool.

Lightning goes from "hmpf" to "ach" to "grr" to "hng" to "whatever".

No poo poo, the grenade launcher bit in Tomb Raider was incredible. The fire, and the music, and all the bad guys going "Holy poo poo she's got a grenade launcher now!"...