Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
I can't see Benny getting disability, even if he tried. My sister has systemic lupus, epilepsy, and a gently caress-ton of other issues and it took over two years of hearings and appeals to finally get it. Showing up saying "I can't hold down a job" won't get him anything except laughed at.

As someone else said, military wouldn't be a good idea, either. They're cutting back on people that are already enlisted. I also don't see Benny making it through basic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bartleby
Sep 23, 2004

Special needs since 2003
I found this thread about six months ago. As it was quite lengthy, to save time I filtered the posts to just show Benny's, until I got nearer to the end. Big mistake, and the latest one by him demonstrates why. Good lord.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

TheReverend posted:

Oh really? That's too bad. I just suggested it because my step-brother is reminds of Benny. After failing at about everything (fast food jobs, school) he somehow got into the Navy.

This was about 9 months ago I think so maybe things have changed but I floored when someone told me that he made it into the Navy. He even passed the equivalent of Navy basic training.

Navy recruit training is about as easy as basic military training in the US armed forces gets, FWIW. They're teaching you the basics of life aboard a ship, not basics of ground combat.

Also they always need idiots for menial jobs, its just not as easy today as it was at the height of Iraq & Afghanistan where "you have a pulse, use of all of your limbs and senses, aren't debilitatingly addicted to drugs and/or a wanted fugitive from justice? Sign here!" was pretty much SOP for recruiting.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 2, 2014

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Oh I'm gonna save this spot. I'm gonna post a cover letter (info changed and/or omitted of course) and I'd like you goons to take a look and tell me how I can improve upon them. I'll post it in a sec.

EDIT: Here it is.

Benny the Snake posted:

Benny the Snake
Address
Contact number
Email address

Dear Sir or Madam,

My name is Benny the Snake and I am proud to announce that I am applying for the position of Administrative Assistant. As a recent university graduate with administrative experience, I am confident that I am a strong candidate for the position.

I am a recent graduate from Cal Poly Pomona with a Bachelor's in English Literature. I am a certified typist through (insert employment agency here) with a net typing speed of 64 words per minute. I am certified as proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel. I am also proficient in most major word processing programs, and I am familiar with Adobe Photoshop as well. My administrative experience includes serving in a fellowship with the (insert political candidate here) Campaign 2013.

My duties on the campaign included voter outreach, data entry, and intern leadership. Voter outreach involved both phone banking and neighborhood canvassing: I averaged up to 800 calls a week. Data entry consisted of organizing information, such as contacts and contributions, onto spreadsheets. While phone banking, I led up to ten interns at a time and I represented the campaign when the campaign manager was unavailable. I am currently volunteering at the (insert local library here) where my duties are organizing and shelving donated and withdrawn books for sale. I look forward to becoming a member of your corporate team.

I hope to hear from you soon. Please contact me at (insert phone number here) or at (insert email address here).

Sincerely,

Benny the Snake

Where can I improve?

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 2, 2014

Impatient Skype JO
Nov 26, 2011

leave a sign ... something witchy

you posted:

your text here

Dark Souls posted:

imminent beating to a pulp

cname posted:

Honestly, people cheering on "get disability" do you draw the line anywhere? Would anything qualify as "disabled" in your opinion? At what point does "bootstraps" become valid?

It's not even that he doesn't know how. He simply doesn't do. Like, he hasn't even attempted to google around for a number to call, in regards to healthcare and you think he deserves disability money?

Is this what it's come down to?

That's what's up.

Also, Benny, you need to realize that nobody here can vindicate you, there are no excuses. Harden the gently caress up and put some actual effort into your shambles of a life. It's like you're trying to climb a staircase and lifting your foot an inch off the ground and telling everyone you tried.

Or rather, you're telling everyone you have a splinter, and you're deathly afraid of stairs, and only have one leg and need someone to install a rail for you to hold on to

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Benny the Snake posted:

info changed and/or omitted

The thread in five words.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
What else is Benny going to do besides get on disability? He's managed to volunteer at the library. That's it.

I don't know what the qualifications are to get disability from the government, but I work with teenagers with intellectual disabilities and diagnosed medical conditions and a few of my students will be able to get jobs on their own, though they might live at home forever. Benny hasn't done this yet.

Benny thinks he is qualified to do things that he just isn't. He can't think for himself. He does not respond to criticism.

He's either lazy and stupid (probably) or he's got brain problems. Either way someone needs to teach him how to function in society. Someone with the patience of a saint so they don't beat him to death when he pulls a Benny.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Aqua Bear posted:

What else is Benny going to do besides get on disability?

Benny on day one would manage to gently caress up being on disability.

"Hey guys, I got my first disability check and its way more than I was supposed to get. I think I'm going to go buy some comic books with it - does this sound like a bad plan?"

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

"proud to announce."

like you're having a baby or something. Jesus.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

crabrock posted:

"proud to announce."

like you're having a baby or something. Jesus.

Hey man, he's a certified typist.

Seriously, that reads so badly, if you can get any money together at all, definitely spend it with that goon who does resumes and cover letters.

Eris
Mar 20, 2002
Don't start your cover letter with "My name is." http://www.askamanager.org/2014/05/dont-start-your-cover-letter-with-my-name-is-and-other-rules.html

Benny, you've summed up your cover letter, but you haven't explained how these skills translate to the new job. You are customizing this for every office application, right? Can you post a cover letter you've already sent?

How do you know you didn't get the lawyer office job?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
It's not very often, but I had a very, very good idea today. I was thinking about my online sales experience in relation to my resume and then I thought, "Why don't I help the library by selling books online?" We are seriously overloaded with donated and withdrawn books over here. So I discussed it with the assistant director and he likes the idea. We're going to have a meeting to work out the details on Wednesday. I can't work it into a paid position because, of course, I have very little experience to begin with and I've only been volunteering here for about six weeks now. More importantly, however, I can still include online sales on my resume under the pretense that I'm doing it for the library. It's not exactly professional, but it does tie into my current volunteering and would look really good on my resume.

Eris
Mar 20, 2002
Benny, your issue isn't really getting a job, it's keeping it.

Why don't you take that good idea, and do some actual online selling in the hours and hours and hours of free time you currently have. Find cheap/used books on your own (I can't believe I am writing this, but do NOT steal from the library), and then sign up for an Ebay account and then ... sell books. Keep the money. Keep doing this.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Eris posted:

Benny, your issue isn't really getting a job, it's keeping it.

Why don't you take that good idea, and do some actual online selling in the hours and hours and hours of free time you currently have. Find cheap/used books on your own (I can't believe I am writing this, but do NOT steal from the library), and then sign up for an Ebay account and then ... sell books. Keep the money. Keep doing this.

Because benny needs to learn how to function in society, not on the periphery.

Womens Jeans
Sep 13, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Benny the Snake posted:

My duties on the campaign included voter outreach, data entry, and intern leadership. Voter outreach involved both phone banking and neighborhood canvassing: I averaged up to 800 calls a week. Data entry consisted of organizing information, such as contacts and contributions, onto spreadsheets. While phone banking, I led up to ten interns at a time and I represented the campaign when the campaign manager was unavailable.

Did you really average 800 calls a week? If you're volunteering 40 hours/week, that means you're calling 20 people an hour, or one every 3 minutes, no breaks or down time. Assuming that you did manage this herculean task of sitting still for 8 hours/day, pumping out 3 minute long calls, I don't see how you'd have time to do any of the other things that you said you did for the campaign. Lets be really generous and say you volunteered 80 hours a week -- you're still doing 6 minute long calls, non-stop, for 16 hours/day 5 days a week, literally no breaks.

Also, you can't really average "up to".

Womens Jeans fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 2, 2014

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Benny's cover letter looks like some cover letter mad libs template from some website.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Rudager posted:

Seriously, that reads so badly, if you can get any money together at all, definitely spend it with that goon who does resumes and cover letters.

:laffo:

Benny the Snake posted:

And I've just purchased an RTI package. I hope I'll be able to get a career while using this service. And I do intend to put as much effort as possible into it.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Benny the Snake posted:

and I am familiar with Adobe Photoshop as well.

I'm familiar with brain surgery (in that I know it exists).

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
RTI takes like a month of back and forth effort/progress

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
^
That's from last July.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Benny, how does it make you feel when people in this thread say you are so bad at life that you should give up and apply for SSI?

E: is a library allowed to sell anything?

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Darth123123 posted:

Benny, how does it make you feel when people in this thread say you are so bad at life that you should give up and apply for SSI?

I routinely have people tell Rhonyn Peacemaker, Capitalist, Job Creator, Utilitarian Liberal-Corporatist to die. Yet that would not feel as bad as being told to go on SSI.

Just saying.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

Darth123123 posted:

E: is a library allowed to sell anything?

Dude gets off on being babied so it's probably better if he doesn't answer that one.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

JakeP posted:

Benny's cover letter looks like some cover letter mad libs template from some website.

This, so much this. Benny, did you just Google what a cover letter should include and copy/paste it and insert your own information?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Eris posted:

Don't start your cover letter with "My name is." http://www.askamanager.org/2014/05/dont-start-your-cover-letter-with-my-name-is-and-other-rules.html

Benny, you've summed up your cover letter, but you haven't explained how these skills translate to the new job. You are customizing this for every office application, right? Can you post a cover letter you've already sent?

How do you know you didn't get the lawyer office job?
That was a letter I already sent :cripes:

But I got it. I'll cut out "My name is" and skip straight to "I am proud to announce".

How do I know I didn't get the lawyer office job? Because I was asked how I have sales experience and I told them about my previous job. They didn't ask how long I was over there. My intention was to spin it: make it look like I was a fast learner by showing how I learned how to make listings online and sell them fairly quickly. But knowing how thorough law firms are, they've called my previous job and found out how I've been careless. Like Tipps said, law firms want someone who won't make mistakes since one minor mistake could mean all kinds of trouble. So as far as I'm concerned, I'm not getting the job.

Womens Jeans posted:

Did you really average 800 calls a week? If you're volunteering 40 hours/week, that means you're calling 20 people an hour, or one every 3 minutes, no breaks or down time. Assuming that you did manage this herculean task of sitting still for 8 hours/day, pumping out 3 minute long calls, I don't see how you'd have time to do any of the other things that you said you did for the campaign. Lets be really generous and say you volunteered 80 hours a week -- you're still doing 6 minute long calls, non-stop, for 16 hours/day 5 days a week, literally no breaks.

Also, you can't really average "up to".
It was cold-calling for a political campaign. I volunteered for four days a week and I would burn through a lot of numbers. Most of the time I would leave messages and I was working off a script. If I did manage to speak to someone, most of them would refuse to answer or just hang up. I went to at least 100 calls a day and at most 200, so that's where I got the number.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 2, 2014

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Benny the Snake posted:

That wasa letter I already sent :cripes:

But I got it. I'll cut out "My name is" and skip straight to "I am proud to announce".

How do I know I didn't get the lawyer office job? Because I was asked how I have sales experience and I told them about my previous job. They didn't ask how long I was over there. My intention was to spin it: make it look like I was a fast learner by showing how I learned how to make listings online and sell them fairly quickly. But knowing how thorough law firms are, they've called my previous job and found out how I've been careless. Like Tipps said, law firms want someone who won't make mistakes since one minor mistake could mean all kinds of trouble. So as far as I'm concerned, I'm not getting the job.
It was cold-calling for a political campaign. I volunteered for for days a week and I would burn through a lot of numbers. Most of the time I would leave messages and I was working off a script. If I did manage to speak to someone, most of them would refuse to answer or just hang up. I went to at least 100 calls a day and at most 200, so that's where I got the number.

Did you hear people say don't put that you are "proud" to apply for a job? Don't put that in. Rewrite it and repost.

And answer my prior post. Tia

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
lol forever

Womens Jeans
Sep 13, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Benny the Snake posted:

That was a letter I already sent :cripes:

It was cold-calling for a political campaign. I volunteered for four days a week and I would burn through a lot of numbers. Most of the time I would leave messages and I was working off a script. If I did manage to speak to someone, most of them would refuse to answer or just hang up. I went to at least 100 calls a day and at most 200, so that's where I got the number.

Ok, I would suggest saying something like "when cold calling, I left approximately 100 messages and spoke to 25 people per day". It sounds less impressive, but is also much more believable and clearer. Also make it sound nicer, I'm typing from my phone in bed, so this is not high quality sentence crafting from me.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

Benny, here: This is my personal basic cover letter. I just got a job with this cover letter.

You need to learn to say more information with better, more concise words. And NEVER write "Sir or Madam" or "to whom it may concern". Make the effort to find out the name of the person in charge of hiring and address them by name. This is very basic stuff. :( Also, do you have letterhead? You should have letterhead. Always send your coversheet on letterhead.

Satyr's Cover Letter posted:

Dear Mr. [Name of Person],

I am writing you today in response to the job posting in the [town newspaper] seeing a new Graphic Design lab technician/work study. I am an enthusiastic and helpful person with an extensive background in not only a wide variety of art mediums, but also in technical support and customer service. My resume is attached and further details my artistic experience and educational background.

I have more than 14 years of experience in the freelance world, and am a self-motivated individual that can set a personal schedule and meet deadlines with ease. My experience includes working with both PCs and Macs, and I am confident enough with both systems to perform routine maintenance, software updates, and troubleshooting. I have been a user of Photoshop for over 10 years, and I am most knowledgeable about this program. However, I am confident in all of the Adobe Creative Suite and have provided general help and technical support for these programs for my peers in my department for two years.

I have served for the last year as the [School Name] Photographic Technology department’s lab technician and work study. My job details included providing on campus support to students, being “on call” to assist on photo shoots when needed, and providing one-on-one tutoring to students in need. I also was required to keep studio inventory and often repaired items as needed.

I am enthusiastic about art and helping others grow artistically, and based on my previous job experience and education I feel that I could contribute to the Advertising and Graphic Design department staff in a positive way. I will contact you in a few days to discuss my application further, and to make an appointment to meet with you in person to further interview for this position.

Yours,
[Me]

That Damn Satyr fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jun 2, 2014

Eris
Mar 20, 2002
Benny, but on your writer hat here. Do you understand why people are saying "proud to announce" is a bad thing?

Put yourself in the shoes of the reader. This is someone who is hiring for a role. They may have to work with you every day. It's a pretty menial role, given that your major selling point is that you type quickly. Do you think they want to work with someone who is "proud to announce" their candidacy?

What are you proud of, exactly? That you've solved all of their hiring problems? That's pretty presumptuous. Maybe you are exciting to apply? That's great! Except, explain WHY you are excited to apply. They've been looking for someone who is a fast typist, and you type X words per minute. They want someone who has had experience in ... I have no freaking idea. Shelving books? Look - you're volunteering at a local library.

Figure out what they are looking for (hint: this should be in their ad), and then explain how you fit those requirements.

Edit: I disagree about letterhead. If your cover letter is in an email, then using letterhead feels like you don't understand the internet. Look, another "Ask a Manager" link! (Question 5, and discussion in the comments: http://www.askamanager.org/2014/05/my-former-boss-was-detained-by-police-for-stalking-me-repeating-words-on-a-resume-and-more.html)

Eris fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 2, 2014

Womens Jeans
Sep 13, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Don't tell them you'll contact them in a few days to discuss your application! Either say that you are available to discuss your application at their convenience, or BEFORE you submit your application email them and ask for an informal discussion of the position and what it entails (you should attach your resume to this request).

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
HR Here:

Here is some science guys.

I don't read cover letters.

Most people send them as an attachment and I don't even read them. If they are in the body of the email, I skip them and go onto the resume. There is nothing in your CL that I care about. Because if you are applying via email, you are not important enough for me to waste my time reading an extra page on.

You get 1 page, and that 1 page is your resume. Make it count. Send me your resume on 1 page. Attach your resume via PDF or Word doc. Do not use RTF or Txt or any other loving format. (If I see someone else send me a powerpoint of their resume it goes right into the trash, no matter what their qualifications are).

Your intro should be:

Dear Sir or Madam (if you do not know the name of the hiring manager)

I am applying for the job posting you had at XYZ (website or location or bulletin board or bathroom stall). I have attached my resume for your purusal. My contact information is on both the resume and on this email. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Respectfully yours,

Abigbagofdouche
C.999.999.9999
Email address

If your position matters, send me your CL. But if you do, you know me by name.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

In almost sure he blocked me. He probably should have.

Benny: your cover letter reads like an example cover letter somebody uploaded to demonstrate business letter formatting. Scrap that poo poo and start over.

Also 2 points: always address a letter to somebody. Get on the website and see who the hr director is or somebody that looks like they're handling the hiring. Always dear mr. Hireman. Secondly, the email address you're sending that from better be something like Benny.Ortiz@gmail.com and not bennythesnakeSA33@yahoo.com

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

That drat Satyr posted:

Benny, here: This is my personal basic cover letter. I just got a job with this cover letter.

You need to learn to say more information with better, more concise words. And NEVER write "Sir or Madam" or "to whom it may concern". Make the effort to find out the name of the person in charge of hiring and address them by name. This is very basic stuff. :( Also, do you have letterhead? You should have letterhead. Always send your coversheet on letterhead.

Letterhead? Maybe I'm old but I use letter head for my work correspondence with the company logo, etc. what would Benny's look like? I want to see the logo badly.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Darth123123 posted:

Letterhead? Maybe I'm old but I use letter head for my work correspondence with the company logo, etc. what would Benny's look like? I want to see the logo badly.

A snake eating itself.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

crabrock posted:

Also 2 points: always address a letter to somebody. Get on the website and see who the hr director is or somebody that looks like they're handling the hiring. Always dear mr. Hireman. Secondly, the email address you're sending that from better be something like Benny.Ortiz@gmail.com and not bennythesnakeSA33@yahoo.com

His email is obviously BENNY69HOTBANGERZXXX@gmail.com, that's been the problem this whole time

Darth123123 posted:

I dunno. I do graphic design and photography and have all my stationary and letterhead and business card stuff matching because I do freelance. I just think it looks way nicer? Personal preference I guess really but if they see your big name at the top it's easier to identify and remember if they have a huge pile of papers on their desk.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

That drat Satyr posted:

His email is obviously BENNY69HOTBANGERZXXX@gmail.com, that's been the problem this whole time

I dunno. I do graphic design and photography and have all my stationary and letterhead and business card stuff matching because I do freelance. I just think it looks way nicer? Personal preference I guess really but if they see your big name at the top it's easier to identify and remember if they have a huge pile of papers on their desk.

Gotcha, please design Benny a logo!

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

crabrock posted:

In almost sure he blocked me. He probably should have.

Benny: your cover letter reads like an example cover letter somebody uploaded to demonstrate business letter formatting. Scrap that poo poo and start over.

That particular cover letter was sent through a Craigslist post and most people who post jobs via that site don't leave the name of the company or their address. If I did have the name of the company, I would look it up on Google and post the address in the cover letter and the name of the HR manager.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Benny the Snake posted:

That particular cover letter was sent through a Craigslist post and most people who post jobs via that site don't leave the name of the company or their address. If I did have the name of the company, I would look it up on Google and post the address in the cover letter and the name of the HR manager.

Please answer my posts Benny. Also, you won't always be able to get the name of the hiring manager. My company has 70k employees and names are taboo in listings or public sites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

A snake eating itself.

In reverse though, a snake jamming its head up its own rear end

• Locked thread