Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
Breakshot rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Der-Wreck posted:

That Party-themed table is The Party Zone and features characters from Dr. Dude, Elvira & The Party Monsters, and Party Animal

I loved Party Zone when I used to play it many years ago in an arcade somewhere. Great toys and speech. I might be misremembering, but I think it's the game that would say "winners don't use druuuuuuuuugs!" in a way that sounded like they were off their scone.
And the Supersonic Robotic Comic, choice of little songs to play on the jukebox - all sorts of fun stuff.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Party zone is pretty fun, but the shot layout is weird. Like the right shot that feeds the top lanes (cosmic cottage) is at an odd angle that doesn't line up with the flippers. The rules are also terrible for competitive play, but that's pretty standard for early 90s machines.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
I have a personal loathing for PZ, although it may be because I once roasted the transformer of one. I always felt that the game didn't quite know what to do with itself. The DMD animations are kind of weird and primitive, and the theme isn't very cohesive. If you own one and love it, though, I highly recommend sticking extra-large googly eyes on Capt. B. Zarr. Makes it like 10 times better.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
After ignoring my remaining wizard goals for a week or so, I started playing STTNG tonight. Had two goals left. Completed them surprisingly fast after a few games, then just decided to try to up my high score instead.

Mission accomplished.

Got to the final frontier on my first ball but then just absolutely sucked bad. Annoyed that I was still only in the 4 billion range at that point but realized that it was basically just like starting a new game - no reason I couldn't get back there a second time. Game ended just after reaching the final frontier a fourth time. Absolutely nuts. Went from 1387th overall to 50th.

Polo-Rican posted:

drat I give you credit. I love the TNG table, the rules and gameplay are a lot of fun, but I feel like it has outlanes the size of the grand canyon.

Agreed on the outlanes. This was just one of those cases where I constantly seemed to have the kickback on the left outlane lit when needed, and the ball just avoided the right one by pure magic. (I really hate the right outlane - the gun toy blocks the view enough that I have a hard time telling what's happening until it's too late.)

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 29, 2014

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Domus posted:

I have a personal loathing for PZ, although it may be because I once roasted the transformer of one. I always felt that the game didn't quite know what to do with itself. The DMD animations are kind of weird and primitive, and the theme isn't very cohesive. If you own one and love it, though, I highly recommend sticking extra-large googly eyes on Capt. B. Zarr. Makes it like 10 times better.
I'm pretty sure the design team at Midway were all on hallucinogens when they made Party Animal, Dr Dude and Party Zone.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

drat I give you credit. I love the TNG table, the rules and gameplay are a lot of fun, but I feel like it has outlanes the size of the grand canyon.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Does anyone have custom settings they recommend for Zaccaria Pinball? I'm probably spoiled by Pinball Arcade's wonky physics, but I find Zaccaria's ball physics to be insanely un-fun. 90% of the time a ball will go straight down the middle or into a gutter right after you launch it, before you even have a chance to hit it with a flipper. In the rare case I even get a chance to hit it, it's usually going into a gutter in 30 seconds or less. I'm trying to find a happy medium that doesn't involve turning the ball resistance so high it's like playing in molasses and I also don't find it fun to have to nudge the table every 5 seconds to keep the ball in play.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I played a little of Zaccaria, and I actually thought it felt closer to actual pinball physics, at least in the way the ball feels like it has weight and the table has friction. I still wouldn't call it "fun", but I chalked that up more to the tables than to the physics.

Also I liked the nudging better in Zaccaria, for what it's worth, at least on an iPad/Phone.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Yeah, I feel that Zaccaria is more realistic than PA, I've always found the PA tables to be way too easy compared to real machines. Some of the older machines can be absolutely brutal, especially the Zacs in which the outlanes are safe and the inner lanes lead to drains.

You can put the game in "arcade" mode to make it much easier to play, if you want the real experience then stick with simulation mode and accept how punishing it is. The games don't seem to have a tilt sensor, so at least you can go crazy with that.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I also really like Zaccaria, and continue to buy every table. For one the graphics are gorgeous, mainly due to the shithouse crazy art they used at the time.

I personally hate the tilt function, as it's swipe-based and very inconsistent in how it triggers. The effect is nice, but it's really difficult getting it to respond.

A problem with their custom physics setting is that one setting seems to produce different effects across different tables. Each update seems to alter them as well. An update or two ago I was using these settings, found via the PinballArcadeFans forums.
Tilt: 5.5
FF: 4.62
RE: 80
BF: 60
SF: 4.04
Bumper: 0.40
BV: 150cm/s
Though like I said, the recent updates kind if screwed with that, so I'm currently back to just playing with "simulation".

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Polo-Rican posted:

Had you propelled the ball along the proper trajectory, you would have been rewarded.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Howard Beale posted:

Had you propelled the ball along the proper traje-

Thank you, Mr. Data!

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

petewhitley posted:

I also really like Zaccaria, and continue to buy every table. For one the graphics are gorgeous, mainly due to the shithouse crazy art they used at the time.

I personally hate the tilt function, as it's swipe-based and very inconsistent in how it triggers. The effect is nice, but it's really difficult getting it to respond.

Wow, that app totally flew under my radar. Downloaded it last night and after trying it out for half an hour I got the Gold IAP. The tables are simple but a lot of fun and they definitely look great. I hope they fix the random iTunes music player soon, as the table sounds on their own are quite ... old school ... and not that exciting. Is there a good place for news about the app online?

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

FLX posted:

Wow, that app totally flew under my radar. Downloaded it last night and after trying it out for half an hour I got the Gold IAP. The tables are simple but a lot of fun and they definitely look great. I hope they fix the random iTunes music player soon, as the table sounds on their own are quite ... old school ... and not that exciting. Is there a good place for news about the app online?

There's a dedicated thread for the app on the PinballArcadeFans forum. The dev occasionally posts there with updates and to collect bug reports.

edit: if you haven't done so already, try turning "off" the glass option. IMO the odd glass textures they use really detract from the natural beauty of the tables.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

petewhitley posted:

There's a dedicated thread for the app on the PinballArcadeFans forum. The dev occasionally posts there with updates and to collect bug reports.

edit: if you haven't done so already, try turning "off" the glass option. IMO the odd glass textures they use really detract from the natural beauty of the tables.

Thanks for the link. I already played around with various graphics options. The dirty/used table graphics are way over the top in my opinion, but depending on the table, I do like to put the glass on. It sometimes gives the table a bit more depth, together with a some flickering lamps and more lightmap force. While I love TPA, I think their tables on the iPad just look flat, because of the lack of proper lighting effects.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

FLX posted:

Thanks for the link. I already played around with various graphics options. The dirty/used table graphics are way over the top in my opinion, but depending on the table, I do like to put the glass on. It sometimes gives the table a bit more depth, together with a some flickering lamps and more lightmap force. While I love TPA, I think their tables on the iPad just look flat, because of the lack of proper lighting effects.

From what I understand the problem with mobile devices and lighting on TPA is that the ROM emulation they use on most of the solid state tables takes up so much computing power they have to tone down graphical stuff to make it run acceptably, compared to Zaccaria where I assume they built the rulesets from the ground up in the app instead of doing a straight up emulation. I might be wrong about that though since I don't actually know how the Zaccaria table emulation works. Hopefully TPA can ramp that stuff up over time in the future when iOS and android stuff gets more juice. That is of course assuming that Farsight manages to stay alive for more than a few years. I'm personally kind of astounded they're still afloat.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Couple question about the Zaccaria pinball app before I buy it:

- What's the difference between the standard and master version?
- What are the price tags associated with the Bronze/Silver/Gold memberships?
- How does the table purchasing work? (Packs v Individual tables)

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

DevCore posted:

Couple question about the Zaccaria pinball app before I buy it:

- What's the difference between the standard and master version?
- What are the price tags associated with the Bronze/Silver/Gold memberships?
- How does the table purchasing work? (Packs v Individual tables)

Oh, I didn't know about the master version. Hmmm.

I got the standard free version, which comes with one table. Additional tables cost €1.79. The Silver pack (all tables incl. future ones) costs €14.99 and Gold (all tables + more balls, physics, cameras, colors) costs €17.99

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
The master version is the same, it just comes with five tables instead of the one. It makes far more sense financially to just get the regular app and see if you like it, then get silver/gold to get all the tables if you do. If you pay for the master version and then get silver/gold anyway, it ends up being a waste of five bucks.

Pinball apps are kind of confusing on the App Store. Two Zaccarias that are the same, and then Zen releases separate apps for their Star Wars and Marvel pinball tables.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

There's a free and a paid Pinball Arcade, too, and I still don't know the difference between the two. On the App Store it says that the paid one includes TOTAN, but I have the free version and it came with that.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Thanks!

So basically the "membership" is a one time fee.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I don't understand Twilight Zone at all.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Anonymous Robot posted:

Light the lock by shooting both the left and right ramp. Lock is to the right of the right ramp. Jackpot is in the hole across from the left upper flipper (the "Player Piano," which you can't actually tell is a Player Piano from the Pinball Arcade camera angles). Start modes by shooting that hole or the one lower on the playfield. Once you get that much down, just go through the Pinball Arcade tutorial to pick up the details.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Then get decent at it and get annoyed as Hell since TPA's version is so bugged it's not even funny.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Anonymous Robot posted:

https://papa.org/2012/12/03/twilight-zone-tutorial/

Beatnik-Filmstar posted:

Then get decent at it and get annoyed as Hell since TPA's version is so bugged it's not even funny.

Good thing I never played any of those tables in real life :haw: I never seem to notice those gameplay bugs.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006

Werthog 95 posted:

There's a free and a paid Pinball Arcade, too, and I still don't know the difference between the two. On the App Store it says that the paid one includes TOTAN, but I have the free version and it came with that.

I'm not sure if its still the case, but when it launched, the free version had just TOTAN, and the paid version had the initial four pack open. Its also worth noting that historically they've taken their time updating the free version.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Anonymous Robot posted:

It's really quite simple really...

You unlock this door to the key of imagination.

DON'T.TOUCH.THE.DOOR!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

FLX posted:

https://papa.org/2012/12/03/twilight-zone-tutorial/

Good thing I never played any of those tables in real life :haw: I never seem to notice those gameplay bugs.

Same here. (Also, thanks for the link. :tipshat:)

I really wish Pinball Arcade would let you tilt the camera while doing "table exploration" -- there are a lot of tables where you can't see just what's on the tables from the straight-on angle.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

prefect posted:

Same here. (Also, thanks for the link. :tipshat:)

I really wish Pinball Arcade would let you tilt the camera while doing "table exploration" -- there are a lot of tables where you can't see just what's on the tables from the straight-on angle.

This is why I love the 10:16 aspect ratio play. I wouldn't have believed how much more of the playfield you see with a vertical layout, but it makes a totally insane difference.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Went to Disney Quest at Downtown Disney this past weekend because we needed to pickup our annual passes and I heard they had a bunch of pinball machines there. They do, however, never go there expecting to play pinball. The machines are pretty much all damaged in one way or another with most of them pretty much unplayable and you can't hear any of the sounds on them. They had Rolling Stones, Iron Man, Tron, Transformers, X-Men and one or two others I didn't even bother to look at. They also had an UltraPin which I found kinda weird, that was pretty much the only machine is decent shape but having my own virtual cab at home I didn't even bother with that one. Thank goodness we didn't actually pay to get in there otherwise I would have been really disappointed.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Nurge posted:

This is why I love the 10:16 aspect ratio play. I wouldn't have believed how much more of the playfield you see with a vertical layout, but it makes a totally insane difference.

If I ever get around to buying a second monitor, it's definitely going to get the sideways treatment, primarly for TPA. :D

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

prefect posted:

If I ever get around to buying a second monitor, it's definitely going to get the sideways treatment, primarly for TPA. :D

If you have a normal monitor, you can just buy a rotating stand for it.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Easy-Adjust-Monitor-Stand-MS110MB/dp/B0013CD0DI

Or if you live in Florida, I have a sealed one I can sell you for cheap (Staples mailed me two of them by accident a few years ago)

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
The Twilight Zone table I played this past weekend had a problem where it would reset itself when I was having an exceptionally good game. The owner said it's a common problem with about a thousand different things that could be causing it.

Regarding Pinball Arcade, the table packs will probably go on sale at some point on Steam, right? Did they ever have a sale for the Android and/or iOS versions? $30 isn't awful, but I've gotta pinch pennies when I can.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

apophenium posted:

Regarding Pinball Arcade, the table packs will probably go on sale at some point on Steam, right? Did they ever have a sale for the Android and/or iOS versions? $30 isn't awful, but I've gotta pinch pennies when I can.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think they've ever had a sale so I wouldn't hold your breath

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Pinball trip report! Went to the very awesome Yestercades in Redbank, NJ. First of all, this place has all the classic arcade machines and is worth it for that alone. However, they had a pretty good selection of pinball too, which was awesome. Some thoughts on the games I got to play:

Demolition Man - I've played it before at the Silverball museum. Something was hosed up with the flipper buttons so the only way to use them was with the big silver handles. It seems like a really cool game, but I haven't had enough time with it to get the ruleset down. I would love to get this on PA, but I don't think it'll ever happen.

Terminator 2 - First time I've played this in real life. PA did a great job of getting the feel of the game across on iOS. I'm not sure if it was the machine or just me comparing it to PA, but the flippers felt weak as hell. Couldn't get it to the skull lock even once. Mad props to PA for helping me get the timing for the skill shot down perfectly.

Super Mario Bros - The full size version! I had actually played the mini version at the shore yeaaars ago. It's a decent game, your mostly playing it just for the license. The DMD graphics and sound are not as poo poo as other Gottlieb's of this era.

BAYWATCH - HOLY gently caress THEY HAD IT. Really good condition too. Don't know if they are all like this, but the DMD was a very pale orange, kinda weird. The flow of the game is cool, and it has a lot of awesome ramps. Shark flipper into the guard tower lock is such a satisfying shot. The way the balls shoot out one at a time to represent rushing out lifeguards was awesome.

Diner - First time playing it. AWESOME game flow. It's not as fast as I thought it would be, but hitting the loops ramps over and over felt great. I got the highest score on it and I wasn't great, so my guess is the leaderboard was recently wiped?

Metallica - I wanted to like this game but... meh. I don't know, I couldn't seem to get anything going. I didn't know the rules, and the shots were ok, but man gently caress that snake. It kept putting such a spin on the ball that put it out of loving control. I don't know, maybe I need more time on it.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

apophenium posted:

The Twilight Zone table I played this past weekend had a problem where it would reset itself when I was having an exceptionally good game. The owner said it's a common problem with about a thousand different things that could be causing it.

The TZ I (used to) play the most of any pin in town does this too and it's infuriating to the point that I don't play it anymore.

It used to be only while a ball was up in the Powerfield, typically it was when both flippers where pressed at the exact same time and the machine would just shut off. It was especially touchy when you were doing powerball multiball.
The owner got it fixed up and it worked mostly without a hitch for a good solid 3 months. Then the problem came back, then it got worse.
Now, whenever you hit both flippers at the same time, anytime, the machine resets.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

prefect posted:

When I heard PinballFX had portrait support I thought about upgrading my dual monitors just to try it. Then I checked and my existing monitors could rotate so that was great! I tried it and hated it.
Maybe I'll have another go at some stage, but the camera view was terrible and I couldn't see the plunger at the same time as the rest of the table, which made skill shots require me to change the camera all the time. Arse. Maybe I just didn't go through the camera settings enough, but they seemed bad at the time.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

apophenium posted:

My guess is it happens when you hit both flippers at the same time. It's a common error and there are some good write-ups on how to fix it. It was something I really made sure of before buying mine. I'm sure Domus has some insight into it as he's probably run into the problem a million times.

This is a good write-up of it that you might want to the owner of the machine. It's not that difficult of a fix if you're willing to put some time in.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Game_resets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

apophenium posted:

Reset problems are 99% of the time due to the voltage to the CPU board dipping, which in turn is caused by a bad transistor or bridge rectifier on the power board. It's fairly easy to troubleshoot and fix as long as you know how to solder a circuit board.