Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
If you're not shooting anything that's moving too fast, consider using manual focus primes either with your D800 or with an A7R. You'll save a ton of weight, space and money. You'll also save battery life because you won't be driving an AF motor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

bung posted:

I was doing some research on the Backbone Ribcage for the GoPro that allows you to use c-mount lenses. I was curious about the cost of c-mount lenses and started looking at Amazon. I noticed a great deal of c-mount lenses come with m4/3 mounts. Has anyone tried any of the c-mount lenses on the m4/3 platform? If so, how did you like it? C-mounts are incredibly inexpensive and I though about picking up a 35mm 1.4 for $30 just to try it out on my EM-5.

Bear in mind that C-mount doesn't guarantee any specific sensor size coverage, which is why you see stuff like "for 2/3 inch" in the descriptions a lot. I can't remember what the absolute minimum coverage is for a m43 sensor (although I think many of the better security-camera C-mount lenses can cover it), but yeah some of those are only intended to cover 1/4" sensors.

(Obviously the minimum coverage for a m43 sensor is pretty easy to work out, but I mean minimum in terms of "there's vignetting but you can live with it, and still be in the realm of what's cheap.")

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

krooj posted:

Seriously look at the Fuji kit and make sure you get raw files from some demo shots, take them home, and see if you like processing them. 16 Megapickles might not print 8ft wide in one frame, but there are always stitching options. If you can't stitch then I really don't know what to do other than wait for Fuji to push their sensors to 20/24 Megapickles or seriously look at Sony APS-C and the best lenses available for that platform.

I don't see how the D800's 36MP can go to 8 ft in one frame, so it might be a moot point. That's like ~76 dpi unless my pre-caffeine math is horrible.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Do you look at an 8ft wide print from a foot away?

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Mightaswell posted:

Can't wait for the Portland edition DSLR, with scene icons for gas station, bush, motel, and nacho toilet.

We stopped shooting digital in Portland. :colbert:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Musket posted:

We stopped shooting digital in Portland. :colbert:

Instagram filters does not count as analog.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

spankmeister posted:

Instagram filters does not count as analog.

I beg your pardon? Still trying to find the instant goop filter in IG. Maybe you can show me?

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

HPL posted:

If you're not shooting anything that's moving too fast, consider using manual focus primes either with your D800 or with an A7R. You'll save a ton of weight, space and money. You'll also save battery life because you won't be driving an AF motor.

This, I do this! I only ever used Nikon and Canon lenses in manual focus on my a7r until I got my FE-mount 55mm today, which I can't wait to try out. Autofocus... how novel! Still, I've been shooting all weekend with manual focus only and it's great on the Sony body. I don't shoot sports, but if I was going to do that I'd get a D4 or something built for that type of photography. I really don't understand why people complain about the lack of lenses on a system that can accept basically any lens.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere
Some of you guys have said the Wasabi power batteries are pretty decent right?

I'm traveling with my Ricoh GR and left my charging USB cable at home, so I need to pick up a charger, and might as well get some batteries too.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've only had good experience with them, although the plastics on one of my chargers was a little delicate and broke a retaining bit after falling 4" (that's inches) onto a cement floor.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Costello Jello posted:

Some of you guys have said the Wasabi power batteries are pretty decent right?

I'm traveling with my Ricoh GR and left my charging USB cable at home, so I need to pick up a charger, and might as well get some batteries too.

The Wasabi batteries for the EM-5 do not report battery life correctly. It will show 100% and then no power, nothing in between. Also the Oly charger will not charge Wasabi batteries but the Wasabi charger will charge the Oly battery.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

bung posted:

The Wasabi batteries for the EM-5 do not report battery life correctly. It will show 100% and then no power, nothing in between. Also the Oly charger will not charge Wasabi batteries but the Wasabi charger will charge the Oly battery.

Hmm, well, the Ricoh GR battery is the same battery they've been putting in cameras for like a decade, so I doubt it has really fancy circuitry inside.

Thanks guys, I'm going to just buy it because it turns out I don't really have a choice anyway, not only are the real battery and chargers super expensive, but they are also not available to be shipped pretty much instantly on Amazon Prime like the Wasabi stuff, so that basically settles it for my case.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

.RAF chat: Photoninja(previously Noise Ninja) seems to process Fuji RAFs really well. It's nowhere near as feature rich out as lightroom (and hence they're charging too much for it, imo), but I imagine it's the best windows-based Fuji option for a while*

*The next ACR update will probably bring them to parity and render photoninja pointless.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

The Sony a6000 actually seems pretty sweet. Price is a little easier to swallow, too. It's even smaller and lighter... and the lenses don't seem to suck?

I mean, I could certainly live with that and do more stitching to get larger images if I end up thinking I really need it.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well, I own a D800 and bought an A6000 to be my second, lighter/compact camera. I really like it and I spent a good bit of time comparing it to other mirrorless options.

Edit: I didn't completely trade it off from the D800 though. Unlike the A7R, it was cheap enough with lenses that I could keep both.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I mean it's got wifi

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That crazy Zeiss 12mm+32mm for $920 deal will run to the end of Aug?

Thats some crazy discount. It's probably 20% cheaper than XF14+XF35 combo even during its X-deal period.

Somebody is going to buy them end and sell them piece meal on ebay for, I don't know, maybe 600+- for the 12mm and 400 +- for the 32mm. Even $600 for the Zeiss 12mm is a great deal. Its just as sharp as the XF14 at center and only slightly lose out to the Fuji at corners. But its a wider lens so its to be expected.

Color me impressed so see the Zeiss lens selling lower than the Fuji competition. Not to mention Sony doesn't even have any wide angle prime.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.
I picked up that deal because why not, more gear for the gear god

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Haha I'm not surprised, I wonder what stupid backr oom deals to Zeiss had to cut in order to end up selling more expensive, barely better lenses than the stock XF ones. Some exclusivity down the line, maybe?

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

I got the 2-lens kit as well, it's back in stock at B&H. I'm perfectly happy with the Fuji 35mm, so I'll probably just flip the Zeiss 32mm and pretend I got the 12mm for $400-$500.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Let us know how is the 32mm compare to the 35mm. If and when Zeiss include the new 50mm 2.8 macro in a deal I will pull the trigger.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

whatever7 posted:

Let us know how is the 32mm compare to the 35mm. If and when Zeiss include the new 50mm 2.8 macro in a deal I will pull the trigger.
Will do. From everything I've read, the Zeiss is a little sharper wide open, the Fuji is a little sharper stopped down and has better bokeh. I imagine it will be a tie at non-pixel-peeping resolutions, but we'll see.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
To get specific on the differences (as noted by reviewers):

Zeiss 32mm vs Fuji 35mm

Zeiss is sharper in the center, and dramatically sharper in the corners.
Zeiss has busier bokeh wide open that calms a bit at f2.8 and higher.
Zeiss is quieter, and possibly autofocuses better and faster since a March firmware update.
Once stopped down to f/5.6 and higher, the Fuji is sharper in the center and corners. Zeiss benefits almost nil from stopping down.

Zeiss 12mm vs Fuji 14mm

Fuji is slightly sharper in the center wide open.
Zeiss is significantly sharper in the edges and corners wide open.
Once stopped down to f/4 and higher, Fuji becomes sharper in the edges and corners. Zeiss once again gains almost nothing from stopping down.
About equal in terms of focusing speed and accuracy.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
Let's not forget that the Zeiss will be slightly wider, for the small percentage of people for which that matters.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
I'm tempted to get this kit for my NEX 5R, but I don't know if I wanna stay in the Sony ecosystem. Like right now, I'm not as invested since the only Sony lenses I have are the kit lens, and the $200 Sigma bundle (19 + 30 2.8) from way back when. Decisions...

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro...

Bob Socko posted:

I got the 2-lens kit as well, it's back in stock at B&H. I'm perfectly happy with the Fuji 35mm, so I'll probably just flip the Zeiss 32mm and pretend I got the 12mm for $400-$500.

I found a local retailer honoring the Zeiss deal and picked up a pair of parrot lenses of my own, focusing is fast as hell on my XT-1 after updating the lens firmware with the updates on the Zeiss site.

just a quick test of how close I can get with the 12mm, the lens hood was pretty much resting on the tip of my catte's tail here, and the slightly missed focus is my fault. I'm pretty impressed.

Touit 12/2.8 X - quick and dirty test by Trip Sixes, on Flickr

krackmonkey fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jun 5, 2014

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
So is there a cheapish way to do macro level stuff on the X-E1? I can't seem to find a good extension tube set that wont mangle the camera. I really don't want to pay $600+ for a macro lens. Or would getting a cheap T1i or 40D with kit lens and use my existing extension tube be the way to go?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You could get one of the raynox close up filter things.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You can pickup the fuji 60mm macro on ebay for about 300 used. There is also a 67mm macro close-up, you can put it in front of the 55-200mm, which is also branded "XPRO" LOL.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

whatever7 posted:

You can pickup the fuji 60mm macro on ebay for about 300 used. There is also a 67mm macro close-up, you can put it in front of the 55-200mm, which is also branded "XPRO" LOL.

I'm not sure where you're seeing it for $300. The cheapest is $375 from Taiwan, and that's a steep enough discount to make me wonder what you aren't getting. Seems around $500 is the going price for it.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

mAlfunkti0n posted:

So is there a cheapish way to do macro level stuff on the X-E1? I can't seem to find a good extension tube set that wont mangle the camera. I really don't want to pay $600+ for a macro lens. Or would getting a cheap T1i or 40D with kit lens and use my existing extension tube be the way to go?

Adapter + legacy glass? I've got an FD mount 50mm macro lens I use sometimes on my XE-1.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.
Maybe a macro coupler? Mount the front of the kit lens or the 35mm/1.4 to the front of the 55-200 and you'd have a pretty good amount of magnification

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I'm not sure where you're seeing it for $300. The cheapest is $375 from Taiwan, and that's a steep enough discount to make me wonder what you aren't getting. Seems around $500 is the going price for it.

Used, 300 used. I just did a completed ebay search and I see a handful of completed auctions ended under 300 and at least 10 auctions end around 300.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

whatever7 posted:

Used, 300 used. I just did a completed ebay search and I see a handful of completed auctions ended under 300 and at least 10 auctions end around 300.

Yes, totally understand used. Ill keep my eyes open for one at that price.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

powderific posted:

You could get one of the raynox close up filter things.

I have a Raynox adapter and it's really good. Easily clips onto most lenses and the IQ is top notch. The only drawback is that you have to get really close to your subject, which is not good for most living, wild things.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005
Has anyone seen the new Mitakon 50mm f/0.95 FE-mount? It looks almost too good to be true. I'm very tempted to pick one up, but I think I'll just wait for a few reviews before I go any further.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/first-image-of-the-new-mitakon-50mm-f0-95-full-frame-e-mount-lens/

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
All the reviews I've seen of it's crop buddy show it to be pretty soft and cheaply made. I mean, if you really need the f/0.95 instead of just adapting a 50mm f/1.4 or whatever, go for it.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Jimlad posted:

Has anyone seen the new Mitakon 50mm f/0.95 FE-mount? It looks almost too good to be true. I'm very tempted to pick one up, but I think I'll just wait for a few reviews before I go any further.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/first-image-of-the-new-mitakon-50mm-f0-95-full-frame-e-mount-lens/

virtually all of the crazy fast lenses for cheap are rebranded CCTV lenses that are lovely in general, or are derivatives thereof.

The noctilux is expensive for a reason other than the red dot

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Malcolm XML posted:

virtually all of the crazy fast lenses for cheap are rebranded CCTV lenses that are lovely in general, or are derivatives thereof.

The noctilux is expensive for a reason other than the red dot

They are not CCTV lens. They are just Korean and Chinese lens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I did a center sharpness comparison of the Rokinon 12mm f/2 versus the Zeiss 12mm f/2.8 for X-Mount here:

http://www.fujix-forum.com/index.php/topic/25042-zeiss-2mm-f28-vs-rokinon-12mm-f20/

Verdict is, Zeiss wins easily