Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So what's the best pvp weapon buff now? Sunlight blade?

e: It looks like crystal magic, sunlight, and dark are all pretty much the same except for damage type

Tetracube fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
Is there any chance of FROM saying "we screwed up, soul memory is only for shrine of winter now"? Or is it so tied within the games code to never allow the patching out of SM for PvP?

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

They probably could but that'd take too much effort on their part. FROM aren't exactly fast when it comes to fixing their borked poo poo, especially design decisions like that.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

everything about how the online works is so rooted in soul memory that they really can't just flick a switch and change it and I don't think they would even if they could. not worth the investment.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I would say it is more likely FROM would patch in reusable Red Eye/Blue Eye Orbs than completely overhaul Soul Memory. And patching in reusable orbs already has a 0% chance of happening.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Seems like they should have the pyro trainer just outright sell Flame Weapon now that it's been made much less useful. Or at least let you trade the normal Lost Sinner soul to Straid for it (not NG+).

Krinkle posted:

anyone who invades shrine of amana is scum.

That's one of my favorite places to invade because there's about a 50% chance that the host victim is in farming gear. That and there are precious few other places to invade around 3m SM in NG that give you reliable hits.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
It will probably go the way of World Tendency and get dropped from the series, but don't expect it to be removed from this game. Its here to stay for now.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The Gorp posted:

Is there any chance of FROM saying "we screwed up, soul memory is only for shrine of winter now"? Or is it so tied within the games code to never allow the patching out of SM for PvP?

No, because it isn't broken. The multiplayer exists to serve the singleplayer experience, not the other way around. It's definitely working as intended, flawed or not. The best you can hope for is for the next game to have a better system in place for PvP. Or if you don't have a PS4, possibly the game after next.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

VisAbsoluta posted:

Just got my first hacker, guy had infinite health:

He was a terrible player and also kept throwing firebombs at me. I was going to try and throw him of the cliff but feared it might gently caress my SM so I wasted his time dodging around, backstabbing and doing gestures, then suicided. :downs:

Are you doing a run as Bronson? Because if so, that's excellent.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
Cannon acceptable solution.

Become a blood father. You willingly accept to never gain souls again and get a red eye orb for it. All souls go to the brotherhood of blood or some cannon nonsense.
You just have to give us the option. All builds are on a clock now because invasions give you souls you don't want. There are "gain double souls" armors, why not "gain nothing" armors?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I turned into a jar and was knocked out of it by a shrine priestess from across the map. I hid behind a wall but she never stopped firing, kindly telling the invader "he's right there". Thanks. I tried to move and got bled out by two water monsters. Thanks. I kill them, try to pop a third talisman but he sees me now. I almost kill him and he has no life and I watch the tip of my sword go through his loving stupid face on my last bit of stamina but he takes no damage and he pokes me and I die. Then he gives me the no-no-no.

I hate that emote so loving much. You invaded me you dumb fucker you're the poo poo who almost got shut down by a guy with 30 hit points and only lived due to latency. That's shrug material right there.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Krinkle posted:

I turned into a jar and was knocked out of it by a shrine priestess from across the map. I hid behind a wall but she never stopped firing, kindly telling the invader "he's right there". Thanks. I tried to move and got bled out by two water monsters. Thanks. I kill them, try to pop a third talisman but he sees me now. I almost kill him and he has no life and I watch the tip of my sword go through his loving stupid face on my last bit of stamina but he takes no damage and he pokes me and I die. Then he gives me the no-no-no.

I hate that emote so loving much. You invaded me you dumb fucker you're the poo poo who almost got shut down by a guy with 30 hit points and only lived due to latency. That's shrug material right there.

I would have gone with 'Welcome!' myself.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I carry around a channeler's trident and use that instead of gestures

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
with the new Gedosata, how can you make it less obscenely dark and slightly brighter? Even in Majula it's dark to the point where I need a torch to see in the tunnel to Copse/Heide's.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Krinkle posted:

I basically think of that emote as the default of a lot of mindless people because I went around dueling cosplaying as a hollow last night swinging around a lovely broken sword randomly and still got No wayed.

e: Also man Champion's is really the shittiest covenant, but I still beat the Belfry Goggles with it in NG+ so game you can kiss my rear end as far as I'm concerned.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I don't know why this just popped into my head, but I really want somebody to make a mod for this game where when you die, it plays the stuff from MGS that happens when you die. The reverb'd scream and then DUNDUHNUHNUHNUHDUDUDUHNUHUH.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

The Gorp posted:

Cannon acceptable solution.

Become a blood father. You willingly accept to never gain souls again and get a red eye orb for it. All souls go to the brotherhood of blood or some cannon nonsense.
You just have to give us the option. All builds are on a clock now because invasions give you souls you don't want. There are "gain double souls" armors, why not "gain nothing" armors?

Not sure why people don't get that one of the whole points of SM is to keep you from doing this. People complained about low level twinks killing people who can't possibly fight back. Instead of thinking of a real solution, From used SM to essentially put this stuff on a time limit. You can only kill so many people before your SM forces you out of their invasions range, eventually reaching a point where your high level gear no longer gives you a huge advantage.

Of course its a mess that doesn't even really solve that problem whilst creating a bunch of other ones.

nftyw posted:

I basically think of that emote as the default of a lot of mindless people because I went around dueling cosplaying as a hollow last night swinging around a lovely broken sword randomly and still got No wayed.

I only use "No Way" against filthy mages. If they try to cast a spell after I silence them, I'll waggle my finger right in their face.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Fuzz posted:

with the new Gedosata, how can you make it less obscenely dark and slightly brighter? Even in Majula it's dark to the point where I need a torch to see in the tunnel to Copse/Heide's.

Open the assets/post.fx file in notepad and mess with the settings (particularly HDR).

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I like it when some dickhead invader does the throat-slit motions at my corpse. That has no condescension, no "oh dear, what happened??", no pointing and laughing, no dumb e-bushido bowing.

You're dead, I win, let's move on with our lives. I can respect that.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Apparently you can block the pillars from spells like Scraps of Life and Firestorm.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
So, Flame Weapon always did about the same amount of damage as charcoal pine resin, which made its attunement cost pretty questionable to begin with. Does the pine resin still do the same damage output? A pretty idiotic nerf, either way

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

scamtank posted:

I like it when some dickhead invader does the throat-slit motions at my corpse. That has no condescension, no "oh dear, what happened??", no pointing and laughing, no dumb e-bushido bowing.

You're dead, I win, let's move on with our lives. I can respect that.

Shrug every time as if they were confoundingly ez.
Accept no substitutes.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Space Hamlet posted:

So, Flame Weapon always did about the same amount of damage as charcoal pine resin, which made its attunement cost pretty questionable to begin with. Does the pine resin still do the same damage output? A pretty idiotic nerf, either way

I would assume so. IIRC all the buffs that have the same visual appearance are the same; do DW is the same as Dark Pine Resin, MW is the same as Aromatic Ooze is the same as the Watcher Greatsword buff, etc.

turtlecrunch posted:

Shrug every time as if they were confoundingly ez.
Accept no substitutes.

I really loving miss Look Skyward.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Genocyber posted:

Booting up DS1 yesterday and using that after killing some random people in AL was such a great feeling.

Let's make an internet petition to bring it back.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

EC posted:

Booting up DS1 yesterday and using that after killing some random people in AL was such a great feeling.

Let's make an internet petition to bring it back.

Can we get the Help Me! Carving back while we're at it?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Was there some kind of bizarre patch today or did my DkS2 decide to redownload itself for no reason?

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

So what should I be using as a weapon buff as a faith user? I have literally no points in int, but sunlight blade is kind of poo poo with only one use.

burntpork
Jan 25, 2010
Did some testing on Syan's Halberd.

[Used the common undead at the Undead Crypt bonfire (intensity 3)]
Stats: 50 STR, 38 DEX, 20 INT, 20 FTH w/ Ring of Blades +2

Syan's Halberd +10 - AR: 483
1 Handed: 344 dmg (2-hit combo: 761)
2 Handed: 459 dmg (2-hit combo: 1067)

Fire Syan's Halberd +10 - AR: 560
1 Handed: 299 dmg (2-hit combo: 661)
2 Handed: 399 dmg (2-hit combo: 927)

Pate's Spear +5 - AR: 329
1 Handed: 357 dmg (2-hit combo: 636)
2 Handed: 428 dmg (2-hit combo: 763)

Dark Silverback Spear +10 - AR: 483
1 Handed: 340 dmg (2-hit combo: 606)
2 Handed: 408 dmg (2-hit combo: 785)

Damage may vary since they all rely on direct hit, but these were the most consistent numbers I could get.

The thrusting attack on Syan's Halberd was hit hard, but it can still deal decent damage with the follow up overhead slash when 2 handing it.

burntpork fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 2, 2014

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I have no idea why you guys are blaming Soul Memory for some invincible tank bullshit that From hosed up on.

Soul Memory is the boogeyman

Orv
May 4, 2011

argondamn posted:

I have no idea why you guys are blaming Soul Memory for some invincible tank bullshit that From hosed up on.

Soul Memory is the boogeyman

Because with SL matchmaking it wouldn't be possible? (Mostly.)

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Kaldaris posted:

Genocyber posted:

Can we get the Help Me! Carving back while we're at it?

Well! What is it? or go bust :colbert:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Orv posted:

Because with SL matchmaking it wouldn't be possible? (Mostly.)

It would still be possible but it would be much less common since most people would stay around 150 to be able to do co-op and invasins and poo poo.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Genocyber posted:

It would still be possible but it would be much less common since most people would stay around 150 to be able to do co-op and invasins and poo poo.

Yeah I meant in the sense that the community agreed SL level wouldn't allow it.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Genocyber posted:

How would 150SL allow you to cast all those buffs and walk around in full Havel's with gear though without crumpling under your own weight

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

killstealing posted:

How would 150SL allow you to cast all those buffs and walk around in full Havel's with gear though without crumpling under your own weight

I mean you'd still get people who level really loving high, but you'd only encounter them if you invade (or in the arenas) and there'd be less, since there'd be many more hosts who stay close to 150 to keep being able to do multiplayer stuff.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

killstealing posted:

He's not saying that. He's just saying less people would level past level 150 to be able to do all that.

This is part of why SL matchmaking is bad.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

argondamn posted:

He's not saying that. He's just saying less people would level past level 150 to be able to do all that.

This is part of why SL matchmaking is bad.

This is part of why sl matchmaking is good. You don't need to go beyond 150 to have a complete build, and since soul vessels are a thing you can respec at any time if you want to change your setup.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Genocyber posted:

This is part of why sl matchmaking is good. You don't need to go beyond 150 to have a complete build, and since soul vessels are a thing you can respec at any time if you want to change your setup.

It also leaves more souls for upgrading-

For Fashion Souls. :allears:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Kaldaris posted:

It also leaves more souls for upgrading-

For Fashion Souls. :allears:

That too. If you want a lot of weapons and consumables and poo poo you're going to be spending a lot of souls (on my quality build I've spent most of my ~20 million lifetime souls on consumables and weapon upgrades). In a SL based matchmaking system this does not put you at a disadvantage, in a SM based one it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The biggest issue with using soul memory for matchmaking in PVP is that it's constantly ballooning. Every character, eventually, will get to a point where they can't PVP with anyone except for the absolute highest SM tier. If I make a character with the intent of helping out with bosses while I play, that immediately introduces the problem of me not being within SM range of them. Even if I am within SM range of them, helping them out eventually means I no longer will be. Whereas with using soul level as a base, my only problem would be consulting the average level of people who pass through.

From should have stuck to their guns about making more items have stat requirements and continued to use soul level as the basis for matchmaking. Why they didn't is beyond me.