Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Tomahawk posted:

My only complaint about this episode was that the editing during the combat trial was super obvious in trying to cover up what was probably terrible fight choreography/stunt doubling. It was kind of distracting at points. And usually I'm pretty impressed by action scenes on this show.

The part where the Mountain goes from rolling over towards Oberyn to suddenly Oberyn being held up above the Mountain and then suddenly Oberyn is on his back underneath The Mountain is really bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

The Human Crouton posted:

I have two problems with Oberyn's death.

The first is simply that a story needs interesting characters in order to be interesting. I know that GRRM seems to be going the more realistic route where being interesting does not keep you alive, but that doesn't satiate my need for cool characters. I want more people to be interested in.
Oberyn didn't exist until Season 4, so there's no reason not to assume another X charismatic characters could be introduced and then killed off arbitrarily until you're left saying "Oberyn who?"

It sucks that we're losing a chill character, but Westeros keeps on turnin'. The show has had a "finale" that would end most other shows, killing off a principal character on more than one occasion.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Y'know... I'm not sure why I'm still watching. This whole season has been about making the likable characters into insufferable monsters. Tyrion's gotten all broody, Sansa and Bran are barely functional lunatics, Jon's a jerk, Dany's not struggling and is acting just as awful as everyone else. I get it, that's the point, but why make such evil people so utterly anti-entertaining to watch? If this was a historical about real people that could make sense I guess.

But here's what really tweaks me. This episode had to "deconstruct" The Princess Bride of all things. Why?! Is it just for the smug satisfaction of looking at a thirty year old movie that Gen Y and Millenials remember fondly and get to say "Heh, you liked something silly and enjoyable, aren't you dumb!" This is fantasy for people that hate fantasy,

Wait... Davos. Davos and Salador Sahn are still enoyable. Better kill them off.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

ZorajitZorajit posted:

But here's what really tweaks me. This episode had to "deconstruct" The Princess Bride of all things. Why?! Is it just for the smug satisfaction of looking at a thirty year old movie that Gen Y and Millenials remember fondly and get to say "Heh, you liked something silly and enjoyable, aren't you dumb!" This is fantasy for people that hate fantasy,

Please explain, for those of us who did not see The Princess Bride.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I'm really bored by everything going on in Dany's storyline but this weird idea that a show about war-time royal intrigue should be overflowing with babyfaces is pretty funny.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Is it just for the smug satisfaction of looking at a thirty year old movie that Gen Y and Millenials remember fondly and get to say "Heh, you liked something silly and enjoyable, aren't you dumb!"

No, it's not.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Octolady posted:

Had to go have a lie down after this episode :( Grim.

Seems like everyone worrying about likeable characters are forgetting the Tyrells :colbert: We need more of Margaery and Olanna being the most game ladies in Westeros. Arya is still alive and I can't see her character arc ending anytime soon but oh god I can't see how Tyrion is getting out of this (please no GRRM)

Some more Margaery action would be nice.

Because Natalie Dormer, god drat.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

a cop posted:

It's not a spoiler if you have the slightest bit of common sense, and you pay attention. Bitch.

I read the chapter so I knew to look for it and still never saw the poison.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

a cop posted:

I hope the goon mom who secretly recorded her daughter posts another reaction vid.

Her mind snapped like Arya's! I had to hide my phone by my leg and between the couch, so I apologize for the movement...I kept giggling and had trouble keeping it completely still.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3mkIAALHcE

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Janitor Prime posted:

I read the chapter so I knew to look for it and still never saw the poison.

I am referring specifically to the scene in which it's revealed that he's a master of poisons and the fact that he has spent every moment since his introduction revealing his seething hatred for The Mountain and The Lannisters.

Very Good poo poo

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

a cop posted:

There was a secondary character, a Spaniard, whose life's quest was to hunt down the man who killed his father. He also had a taunt, similar to Oberyn's "You raped her, killed her, murdered her children" thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3W5GDkgf2w

e: Also, watch The Princess Bride.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Away all Goats posted:

I don't get why people keep saying gregor "came back from the dead" to smash Oberyn's face. Oberyn was still talking to him, as in, he knew he was loving alive and taunting him.

Also Tywin would have probably called the fight if it was clear the Mountain was dead.
Because Gregor suffered from multiple large stab wounds in his chest and was weakened to the point where he couldn't even support himself on his good leg. Then he lies on the ground bleeding(and poisoned) for a while and suddenly he is fit enough again to hulk out and crush the head of somebody who just happened to forget his legendary knife skills with which he could have easily saved himself.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

a cop posted:

Very Good poo poo

If you are curious, there are also reactions to Tyrion's courtroom speech and Littlefinger's actions.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I am eagerly looking forward to the point in the not so far future where book readers will be able to joyously join in rampant speculation without them (or anyone who tries to speculate) being able to be accused of spoiling things.

But I still expect plenty of "Oh you sweet summer child" whenever anyone talks about people definitely not dying.

Also I kind wish Oberyn had managed to slip out a knife and just start shanking one of the Mountains arms, only to have the mountain finish him with the other still good one by slamming it into the ground or something.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 2, 2014

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

Asehujiko posted:

Because Gregor suffered from multiple large stab wounds in his chest and was weakened to the point where he couldn't even support himself on his good leg. Then he lies on the ground bleeding(and poisoned) for a while and suddenly he is fit enough again to hulk out and crush the head of somebody who just happened to forget his legendary knife skills with which he could have easily saved himself.

But he's the mountain, don't you see? :downs:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Svanja posted:

If you are curious, there are also reactions to Tyrion's courtroom speech and Littlefinger's actions.

You're the best mom

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Svanja posted:

Her mind snapped like Arya's! I had to hide my phone by my leg and between the couch, so I apologize for the movement...I kept giggling and had trouble keeping it completely still.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3mkIAALHcE

"Noooooooo he was so hot :("

lol

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

a cop posted:

Oberyn reminds some people of a character in The Princess Bride that has a Spanish accent and says "My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die." a lot, and that's the long and short of it. It's nothing, really.

e: beaten

Lycus fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jun 2, 2014

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Ultimately, and I could be completely off base, but it feels like the story is making a point that the true heroes in this story are the ones that keep their heads down and try to do the right thing. It feels like all the good guys we lost were lost because they meddled and got too involved in the grand fuckedupness of things.

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

There are so many amendments in the constitution of the United States of America--I can only choose one!

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Y'know... I'm not sure why I'm still watching. This whole season has been about making the likable characters into insufferable monsters. Tyrion's gotten all broody, Sansa and Bran are barely functional lunatics, Jon's a jerk, Dany's not struggling and is acting just as awful as everyone else. I get it, that's the point, but why make such evil people so utterly anti-entertaining to watch? If this was a historical about real people that could make sense I guess.

Don't write the show off just yet. I know it's easy to feel that way, but you gotta trust GRRM's instinct on what should happen to these characters. As for Sansa, I don't see how she's 'a barely functional lunatic'. If anything, she's becoming more politcally savvy than any of her siblings (which I always expected would happen). The Sansa/Littlefinger alliance is very promising. Not only did Sansa did the best acting job of her life fooling the lords of the vale, Littlefinger followed up by turning accusation onto them. If not for the drat ice zombie apocalypse headed their way, those two together could conquer Westoros.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

Traitorous Leopard posted:

"Noooooooo he was so hot :("

lol

She really adored him. At 6:00 I couldn't help but be a little mean with my answer to one of her complaints and she didn't disappoint. hahaha

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Sansa and Bran are barely functional lunatics,
Wait what? Why is Sansa a lunatic?

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Wait... Davos. Davos and Salador Sahn are still enoyable. Better kill them off.

Tyrion is broody because he's godamn jail with a death sentence on his head, and Sansa hasn't done anything that even resembles lunacy. This last episode was really the first time we saw her do anything, what she did was perfectly sane given what she knows (though we as watchers probably know she should have let Littlefinger fly, since he's why her family is dead). Jon is a jerk? What?

Bran is kinda crazy, but he does literally have insane visions and powers he knows very little about.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

BubbleGoose posted:

Don't write the show off just yet. I know it's easy to feel that way, but you gotta trust GRRM's instinct on what should happen to these characters. As for Sansa, I don't see how she's 'a barely functional lunatic'. If anything, she's becoming more politcally savvy than any of her siblings (which I always expected would happen). The Sansa/Littlefinger alliance is very promising. Not only did Sansa did the best acting job of her life fooling the lords of the vale, Littlefinger followed up by turning accusation onto them. If not for the drat ice zombie apocalypse headed their way, those two together could conquer Westoros.

Not a quitter but there's this common thing that apologists for this show will say, it's along the lines of "Yes that guy got gruesomely murdered / she got tortured and raped to death / whatever, but it's all part of Tywin eventually dying", as if Tywin not otherwise ascending to godhood makes any of it worthwhile. Ho ho ho, Ned was killed but there was a war that inconvenienced Tywin's plans - see, it all worked out! Yes... there are basic consequences for things happening... I'm not sure why that's held up as some sort of legendary feat of GRRM.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Asehujiko posted:

Yeah, that downward spear thrust had the viper's weight into it. There'd be a freaking exit wound and Gregor would be lucky to have his spine still intact. I don't care how big and tough you are, you aren't getting up from that.

There were a hundred other ways to write that scene with the same end result. They chose a bad one.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I for one wanna know where the outrage was last episode. Lysa got murdered for like no reason and she was my favorite character! I wanted to see her kill that dumb Sansa and go on to do awesome things with Littlefinger! GRRM! :argh: You never give the people what they want!

Petah
Aug 24, 2006

Keeping the American Imperialists at bay since 1948

Asehujiko posted:

He was kneeling after being cut in the ankle and the third blow from Oberyn knocked him over, knocked the wind out of him, and caused some internal bleeding. Just because your lungs are bleeding doesn't mean you can't breath anymore, especially if your esophagus is wider than most people's forearm. It's entirely possible that he gained his second wind while lying on the ground listening to Oberyn's speech, letting the anger and adrenaline flow through him. Yes his wounds are most likely mortal, but real people have continued to fight real battles with greater injuries than those. I'm not patient enough to google historical records but there a few records from the 19th century of people who were bayoneted through the belly multiple times, and still managed to walk away from the battlefield. It looked like Gregor was stabbed below his chest, but even still a human being only needs one of their lungs to survive.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

regulargonzalez posted:

There was a secondary character, a Spaniard, whose life's quest was to hunt down the man who killed his father. He also had a taunt, similar to Oberyn's "You raped her, killed her, murdered her children" thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3W5GDkgf2w

e: Also, watch The Princess Bride.

I thought everyone who was a TPB fan couldn't help but appreciate the "deconstruction" done here on some level. It's so perfectly twisted in the most GRRM way that I would never think of it as a gently caress you, just his own form of loving tribute. I mean, come on, Inigo gets a dagger in his stomach and stabbed twice and can barely walk before he "comes back from the dead" and no one ever complains about that. But it's all about body weight and exit wounds and whatever when you don't like the narrative.

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

There are so many amendments in the constitution of the United States of America--I can only choose one!

Vehementi posted:

Not a quitter but there's this common thing that apologists for this show will say, it's along the lines of "Yes that guy got gruesomely murdered / she got tortured and raped to death / whatever, but it's all part of Tywin eventually dying", as if Tywin not otherwise ascending to godhood makes any of it worthwhile. Ho ho ho, Ned was killed but there was a war that inconvenienced Tywin's plans - see, it all worked out! Yes... there are basic consequences for things happening... I'm not sure why that's held up as some sort of legendary feat of GRRM.

Well that's just plain silly. I don't believe there's any grand narrative conspiracy to make Tywin the center of all the bloodshed. Rather, I think GRRM goes on what would likely happen to characters based on who they are and who the people around them are. The biggest thing I take away from all the deaths in this show is that the decisions people make in this world have enormous consequences, and without thorough planning and long term thinking, most actions done out of the heat of passion or from an inflexible worldview have little chance of success.

BubbleGoose fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jun 2, 2014

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Believing they intentionally pissed on the Princess Bride is pretty silly. Any similarity Inigo Montoya bears to Oberyn is mainly the actor thinking his accent would work pretty well (which it did) and the crew digging it pretty hard (which they naturally should have). Had it been anyone else, I doubt the comparison would be as easy.

monster on a stick posted:

I would pay cash money to hear Littlefinger and Sansa sing a duet of "Swinging on a Star."

I'd rather watch them sing "Afternoon Delight" to the growing discomfort of the lower lords.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

Infinite Monkeys posted:

Except when somebody posted "I can't see [list of 3 major characters] dying any time soon" and some smug wanker replied "Oh you sweet summer child" (ugh just typing that made me cringe), basically confirming that at least one of them does die. You don't have to directly state a spoiler in order to give away plot details!

Ha, all you have to do to bet on this is to have WATCHED this show and you'll know that statistically, half the loving people die horribly.

(Not a book reader, still bet you a thousand bucks one of ANY 3 characters you can list will die.)

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

All things considered, he's lucky the Mountain didn't decide to attack him when he was doing his acrobatic twirls in the beginning.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Petah posted:

He was kneeling after being cut in the ankle and the third blow from Oberyn knocked him over, knocked the wind out of him, and caused some internal bleeding. Just because your lungs are bleeding doesn't mean you can't breath anymore, especially if your esophagus is wider than most people's forearm. It's entirely possible that he gained his second wind while lying on the ground listening to Oberyn's speech, letting the anger and adrenaline flow through him. Yes his wounds are most likely mortal, but real people have continued to fight real battles with greater injuries than those. I'm not patient enough to google historical records but there a few records from the 19th century of people who were bayoneted through the belly multiple times, and still managed to walk away from the battlefield. It looked like Gregor was stabbed below his chest, but even still a human being only needs one of their lungs to survive.

The "third blow" was a flying dragoon spear thrust that drove him to the ground, the spear then violently torn back out, followed by another minute of ranting.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

I'm just holding out hope that Oberyn still might be OK

bob holness paradox
Aug 22, 2009

ceci n'est pas un presentateur

Asehujiko posted:

The Mountain was stabbed in the gut twice and hamstrung so he couldn't stand. Oberyn did not have a knife.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
I thought Oberyn was going to hurl his spear up through Tywin, impaling him in the throne area, and then Jaime was going to have to like... I dunno, kill him AND Tyrion or something. It seemed GRRM-y to force Jaime to have to do something like that to his own brother they've been fleshing out the bond with lately. Don't read the books, was on the edge of my seat having 30 heart attacks per minute during most of the ending. Man.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Deuce posted:

The "third blow" was a flying dragoon spear thrust that drove him to the ground, the spear then violently torn back out, followed by another minute of ranting.

If we're talking about realism, that move was all style. If you're a famed fighter trained with a spear, you're going to be generating more force with a solid thrust than you would leaping like a maniac and letting gravity take your weight down on someone.

Not that it wasn't effective (though in the end I guess it wasn't), but Oberyn is all about looking good for the crowd.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Jaime's reaction in this shot is priceless. "...gently caress"

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

Oberyn 'nanced around' and got killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

AwkwardKnob posted:

I thought Oberyn was going to hurl his spear up through Tywin, impaling him in the throne area, and then Jaime was going to have to like... I dunno, kill him AND Tyrion or something. It seemed GRRM-y to force Jaime to have to do something like that to his own brother they've been fleshing out the bond with lately. Don't read the books, was on the edge of my seat having 30 heart attacks per minute during most of the ending. Man.

I think Oberyn was fixing to do a spear hurl. Oh, what might have been.

• Locked thread