Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

BubbleGoose posted:

Oberyn 'nanced around' and got killed.

You'd think by now, everyone would know that the Hound is a font of infinite wisdom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Cybershell posted:

His death was pretty impactful, because you have this.. flamboyant, in control, confident, fast and fluid warrior with all this passion and drive for vengeance against this big, cumbersome, ogre of a fighter we all want die, who is simply doing things just because, with no real greater drive in life.

Oberyn has all this flavor and nuance to him. He's just so full of life. And Gregor isn't. And you never saw Oberyn show any fear or doubt, and he seemed so masterfully in control, and then he dies screaming and terrified. It wasn't like he got stabbed through the chest. It was a grisly, face-crushing, ruining way to die. He completely lost any personality and died in total terror. It's like, for a moment, you think this true character of a man is going to triumph and then the cold hard edge of reality cuts him down and shatters his confidence. His means of death too was like.. permanent ruination before the end came.
A few pages back, but this is a brilliant summation.

What made the manner in which Oberyn bought it so hard to bear is that there hadn't been a single scene where he wasn't shown to be a anything less than a super confident, life loving character. To be reduced to screaming like you'd imagine an extra to do makes it all the more poignant. In the end he was terrified and in agony, and he never believed he would be in that position.

:smith:

gently caress GRRM tbh. I'm going to start rooting for off screen characters. No one prominent is safe. Gendry you're my boy now, don't start showing up on screen now. :ohdear:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

You'd think by now, everyone would know that the Hound is a font of infinite wisdom.

The Mountain is alive and Oberyn Martell is not, because The Mountain had armor and a big loving sword! :eng101:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
If that bite on the Hound festers and kills him, it's gonna be so sad. Especially if the Mountain dies before it happens.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
The Mountain is probably not alive. Or won't be much longer.

With regards to Littlefinger: he told Sansa he killed Joffrey as revenge... but we (and he) know that Joffrey had little to do with it. It was essentially all Tywin and Roose.
So I guess it was just another step in his chaos sowing. And now he will try to leverage the Vale into action...

Of course, the person ultimately responsible for Cat's death is Littlefinger. I wonder if he would admit that to himself...

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

If that bite on the Hound festers and kills him, it's gonna be so sad. Especially if the Mountain dies before it happens.

It would be a nice bit of irony if the two most "larger than life" characters of the show met their end by infection/poison.

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

There are so many amendments in the constitution of the United States of America--I can only choose one!

Hound: "Killing is the sweetest thing there is."
Sansa: "Why are you so hateful!"

Later...

Robin: "We can throw anyone we don't like through the moon door."
Sansa: "I would like that."

The Hound should write a 'Chicken Soup for the Vengeful Soul.'

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Bobo the Red posted:

With regards to Littlefinger: he told Sansa he killed Joffrey as revenge... but we (and he) know that Joffrey had little to do with it. It was essentially all Tywin and Roose.
So I guess it was just another step in his chaos sowing. And now he will try to leverage the Vale into action...

Of course, the person ultimately responsible for Cat's death is Littlefinger. I wonder if he would admit that to himself...

Well, you don't need to kill a person to get revenge on them really. I think killing Joffrey is working out just fine as far as getting back at Tywin is concerned.

How is Littlefinger responsible for Cat's death, exactly? I don't really doubt you, I just must have forgot something he did. If you just mean he's responsible because he started all of this bullshit, I think that's a bit too tenuous for me.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 2, 2014

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Bobo the Red posted:

Literally every major character death has been motivated by vengeance with the catalyst being Jamie and Cersei banging and the subsequent investigation into Roberts and their children.

Petah
Aug 24, 2006

Keeping the American Imperialists at bay since 1948

Deuce posted:

The "third blow" was a flying dragoon spear thrust that drove him to the ground, the spear then violently torn back out, followed by another minute of ranting.

I still don't think that would necessarily finish a person. In my years of practicing martial arts I found out that it's actually really easy to knock things over if your attack is more of a push than a strike, but you will do far less damage. We used to practice on 200lb punching bags that stood about 6' tall, and the only way we were able to knock them over was to use a running jump kick, with a pushing kick that wouldn't do much damage to a real person. It's just like Lumberkjak Bonanza said: jumping strikes are usually more about style than substance.

However you're correct that we did see that the spear penetrated a fair distance into his abdomen. Without modern medicine this wound would be fatal for pretty much anybody, but a huge man like Gregor could spend hours, days or even weeks dying! There is archaeological evidence from around 30,000BC of a Neanderthal man who had been stabbed right through his ribs with a man-made spear. The cut on his bones showed significant signs of healing and they determined that his family kept him alive for over 3 weeks. Being stabbed is a true gamble because sometimes you stab a person right through their torso with a skinny blade it they may only lose a small amount of blood, or you could get a stab them only 3" deep and they die within 10 seconds. It all depends on luck and organ distribution, and bigger men have significantly more luck when it comes to this.

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

There are so many amendments in the constitution of the United States of America--I can only choose one!
Well if anyone is to blame, it's Ned. He really should have kept his mouth shut. I understand his wanting to bring Jaime to justice for maiming Bran, but he made poo poo worse by thinking he could twist the Lannister's arm. Though I'm sure Joffrey would have eventually led the country into war with his crazy rear end.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Whoops, meant to say that Arya is barely functional, that was my oversight. But let's talk about Sansa. Because she's not politically savvy now, her entire character is just how much of a failure she is. Her success here isn't demonstrative of a shift in her character or learning from a new experience -- except perhaps that she now *thinks* she's savvy. The exchange between Sansa and Littlefinger afterwards proves this.

quote:

Sansa: You wanna get all up in my guts.

LF: Do I?

Even if we ignore the meta context that the only thing that beats a Littlefinger plan is a Tywin plan, there's no where for this story to go from where it is right now. The Vale's whole thing is that no one can conquer it, but we see from every other plot that no one cares about it either. So in a universe where Sansa has leveled up, maxed out her CHA and picked up a bunch of Diplomacy feats, now she's the queen of Canada with a mission of maybe retaking her homeland of Greenland. But, by the show's logic, she'll play a few more hands for LF, and then get tricked and betrayed.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Blazing Ownager posted:

I don't know how you got that.

She literally says "I've never met my aunt before," dismissively, right before the reveal. She laughs for the same reason the Hound grimaces.

Durzel posted:

I'm going to start rooting for off screen characters.

I am glad Rickon is off-screen, since that means at least one Stark is assured from being brutally killed anytime soon.

fromsinkingsands
Oct 10, 2005

Gotta find Jason.
Couldn't help myself. This is the only thing that's helping me cope with last nights death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFLEDQR_-eg

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Littlefinger is angling to rule the entire realm and maybe bone not-Caitlin, which is beginning to look like it's going to be his downfall. If Littlefinger tells you why he did something, pretty safe to assume he's lying.

Killing Joffrey (with the help of the Tyrells) throws the Lannisters into disarray and weakens their position through a domino effect. Absconding with Sansa also weakens their position and strengthens his, though the Starks are a total mess at this point. Once the Lannisters discover that Littlefinger has Sansa, they will know the game is afoot, but there is still little they can do about it, especially when Littlefinger mobilizes the houses loyal to Arryn. Littlefinger is also one of three people who would know that the Lannisters are broke. The Tyrells, who now possess all the power in that relationship, aren't going to go to war with Littlefinger over assassination intrigues before first dealing with Stannis, and good luck to them on that account.

Naturally Littlefinger expects Robin to die on his glorious journey of self-discovery, and I wouldn't be surprised if he arranged as much. Try to think of a safe place for Robin to travel right now.

That's about how far I can see this playing out right now.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Some people in this thread really need to read some real world war stories.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

Traitorous Leopard posted:

It would be a nice bit of irony if the two most "larger than life" characters of the show met their end by infection/poison.

It wouldn't be the first ironic death in the series. Don't forget that Robert Baratheon, a great warrior who killed Rhaegar (who was also a badass) and toppled the 300 year old Targaryen regime was gored to death by a pig.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Pomp posted:

Some people in this thread really need to read some real world war stories.

dunno for certain but i'm pretty sure people can know about real war atrocities and still be horrified about a rad charismatic character eating it by having his head exploded by way of thumbs jammed into his eyes and screaming horrifically

also re: The Hound. I can't imagine a scenario other than him succumbing to some sort of injury (maybe that infection) and having/letting Arya kill him as a mercy like what he did to the old dude they came across. It would be a bit poetic and let her cross him off without actually betraying him.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Whoops, meant to say that Arya is barely functional, that was my oversight. But let's talk about Sansa. Because she's not politically savvy now, her entire character is just how much of a failure she is. Her success here isn't demonstrative of a shift in her character or learning from a new experience -- except perhaps that she now *thinks* she's savvy. The exchange between Sansa and Littlefinger afterwards proves this.

Actually, assuming that what Sansa meant with that was "I know you wanna get in my pants", what it tells me is that she learned something from Cersei, not Littlefinger. If she's trying to manipulate him with sex or the idea of sex, she's doing what Cersei "taught" her to do.

Cersei posted:

Tears aren't a woman's only weapon. The best one's between your legs. Learn how to use it.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

EccoRaven posted:

She literally says "I've never met my aunt before," dismissively, right before the reveal.
Okay, but I agree with Blazing Ownager that she's laughing at the dark comedy of how her family members keep dying right before she gets there.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jun 2, 2014

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Even if we ignore the meta context that the only thing that beats a Littlefinger plan is a Tywin plan, there's no where for this story to go from where it is right now. The Vale's whole thing is that no one can conquer it, but we see from every other plot that no one cares about it either. So in a universe where Sansa has leveled up, maxed out her CHA and picked up a bunch of Diplomacy feats, now she's the queen of Canada with a mission of maybe retaking her homeland of Greenland. But, by the show's logic, she'll play a few more hands for LF, and then get tricked and betrayed.

What the gently caress are you even talking about?

Traitorous Leopard posted:

They're definitely making it look like the Hound's hosed. It would be one thing if they didn't bring his wound back up (and how if he had faced his phobia of fire, the wound would have been sterilized), but they totally did and he even called it a flea bite. Guess he doesn't know where plagues come from. :(

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

Lycus posted:

Okay, but I agree with Blazing Ownager that she's laughing at the dark comedy of how her family members keep dying right before she gets there.

Yeah, it's ridiculous how unfortunate (or lucky in some cases) Arya is. Every time she's close to being safe something goes wrong. There's the whole KL betrayal in Season 1, the Night's Watch and Yoren in S2, the Brotherhood and Red Wedding in S3, and now this.

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

ZorajitZorajit posted:

You're right. Sansa is not right now a political power weight. But I would argue that she understands this, and by knowing that she's on the road to becoming one.

Watch the interrogation scene again. Littlefinger is convinced Sansa is a witless little kid and nearly pisses himself when she's called in as a witness. For all his smooth talk and platitudes, Littlefinger didn't convince the lords of the Vale of poo poo. They make it apparent from the beginning that they don't trust him. They look down on him because he's of a lower class, but has somehow made his way into the pants of a lady of a great house. Only Sansa was able to get his rear end off the hook, by one, using her lineage to establish her cred, and two, telling a convincing lie. Littlefinger thought her incapable of this, and so why he confronts her and asks why she had helped him. He doesn't know what's going on in her head, and that makes her slightly dangerous, as far as he's concerned. There is definitely a sea change occurring in her character.

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

While watching the "Fight" I couldn't help but reminisce and think of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOVGlDblEmA

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

BubbleGoose posted:

Watch the interrogation scene again. Littlefinger is convinced Sansa is a witless little kid and nearly pisses himself when she's called in as a witness. For all his smooth talk and platitudes, Littlefinger didn't convince the lords of the Vale of poo poo. They make it apparent from the beginning that they don't trust him. They look down on him because he's of a lower class, but has somehow made his way into the pants of a lady of a great house. Only Sansa was able to get his rear end off the hook, by one, using her lineage to establish her cred, and two, telling a convincing lie. Littlefinger thought her incapable of this, and so why he confronts her and asks why she had helped him. He doesn't know what's going on in her head, and that makes her slightly dangerous, as far as he's concerned. There is definitely a sea change occurring in her character.

Yeah, that's exactly what I got from it. I don't even think Sansa's necessarily talking about sex when she says she knows what Littlefinger wants. Sure, he wants to bone Sansa, but what he needs is an accomplice. Sansa works well given that she's highborn and that she's trusted without reservation by these other Vale lords. She's perfect, really. Hence her new Sith robes dress.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

What the gently caress are you even talking about?

I fail to see the point in continuing to watch a program wherein not one protagonist will have a satisfying character arc; and, any character that does succeed in their goals is either inherently some flavor of evil monster or doomed to become one.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I fail to see the point in continuing to watch a program wherein not one protagonist will have a satisfying character arc; and, any character that does succeed in their goals is either inherently some flavor of evil monster or doomed to become one.

The night is dark and full of terrors.

Also stop playing RPGs for a while goddamn. That part I quoted earlier read like a DM having a stroke toward the end.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

Neif posted:

While watching the "Fight" I couldn't help but reminisce and think of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOVGlDblEmA

You dont say

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Hahaha, tell me how the final two books play out, you ridiculous baby

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Yeah, that's exactly what I got from it. I don't even think Sansa's necessarily talking about sex when she says she knows what Littlefinger wants. Sure, he wants to bone Sansa, but what he needs is an accomplice. Sansa works well given that she's highborn and that she's trusted without reservation by these other Vale lords. She's perfect, really. Hence her new Sith robes dress.
Yeah, I don't think he wants to have sex with Sansa anymore than he wanted to have sex with Cat. He didn't want sex with Cat, he wanted Cat by his side. Now here's a young super-Cat, and I think he wants her by his side.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

ZorajitZorajit posted:

What do you think about Faust then?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

IMB posted:

Hahaha, tell me how the final two books play out, you ridiculous baby

All major plotlines remain unresolved. GRRM will be quoted, "It was a series about the characters."

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
The last book in the series will just be a series of meals during which everyone in the series is poisoned by...

Rickon Stark, and his newfound ability to warg into anyone, anywhere.

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
All of this Princess Bride talk is making me want HBO to cast Mandy Patinkin as Doran Martell in the next season - looking forward to seeing Dorne's reaction to Oberyn's death regardless, though. I imagine they'll be a much bigger player in the story from here on out.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

ZorajitZorajit posted:

You might as well just drop it if you're hoping for a traditional "good guy wins by playing fair and being honorable, everyone lives happily ever after" ending.

From GRRM's own mouth:

GRRM posted:

What can you say to someone who says they’ll never read your book again? People read books for different reasons. I respect that. Some read for comfort. And some of my former readers have said their life is hard, their mother is sick, their dog died, and they read fiction to escape. They don’t want to get hit in the mouth with something horrible. And you read that certain kind of fiction where the guy will always get the girl and the good guys win and it reaffirms to you that life is fair. We all want that at times. There’s a certain vicarious release to that. So I’m not dismissive of people who want that. But that’s not the kind of fiction I write, in most cases. It’s certainly not what Ice and Fire is. It tries to be more realistic about what life is. It has joy, but it also had pain and fear. I think the best fiction captures life in all its light and darkness.
Source: http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/06/02/game-of-thrones-author-george-r-r-martin-why-he-wrote-the-red-wedding/2/

You're watching the wrong show.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

ZorajitZorajit posted:

“There is only one hell: the one we live in now.”

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
I just want Dorne to get pissed and gently caress poo poo up.

Surely you can't allow your prince to be killed in that fashion, right?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't know why people are assuming that Sansa is now smart and "playing the game" rather than the much more likely option that she actually has fallen for Littlefinger and his expert level game-playing. Look at Baelish from Sansa's POV rather than that of an omnipotent observer - to her, it looks like everything he's done pretty much for the entire time she's known him has been to protect her family or her directly. From hiding Cat in the whorehouse to saving her from King's Landing, you gotta figure that "creepy but protective uncle Petyr" is a miles better option than things like "loving Joffrey" (literally), which are what she has until now been presented with.

I don't read the books but it seems really obvious from a show point of view that Sansa has decided to just go ahead and throw in with Littlefinger as he is the only powerful person who apparently actually cares about her in any way at all.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well that was pretty fuckin' gruesome.

Also someone should get a "smash the beetles" custom title. Only it's not beetles getting smashed, it is teeth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
There are a number of good characters to "root for" if that's where you get all your enjoyment. Danerys, Selmy, Onion Knight, Tyrion, the loving invicible Sam and Jon Snow. Bran and Brienne are about as good as they come. Arya, The Hound, and Jaime are my personal favorites, although they are a little less classically noble.

I mean, oh no a showboating dude who had five or so scenes died, time to write off the biggest ensemble cast in television.

oswald ownenstein posted:

I just want Dorne to get pissed and gently caress poo poo up.

Surely you can't allow your prince to be killed in that fashion, right?

I don't think there will be any reprisal from Dorne, it isn't like they rigged the fight, which he entered willingly and against the wishes of the Lannisters.

Marketing New Brain fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 3, 2014

• Locked thread