Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Subyng posted:

Trying planes in arcade. Can someone tell me what I'm supposed to do in my biplane when I'm facing planes a tier higher than can wreck my poo poo with absolute ease?

Call for backup
get in the Mumble channel... Goons will help you by both killing the guy for you and then teaching you how you can do it on your own in the future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Rest In Piss RommelsWarcrimes, you were too good for this world.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Yeah, at the very least when someone starts shooting me, I can quickly out turn them, let them fly fly past me, and score a couple hits before the zoom away out of range and come back for me at their leisure.

Token Cracker
Dec 22, 2004
Is 7v7 normal for the jungle map on RB? That just seems like an unacceptably low number of players. I like the design of the map but it's extremely boring with that few players.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Subyng posted:

Yeah, at the very least when someone starts shooting me, I can quickly out turn them, let them fly fly past me, and score a couple hits before the zoom away out of range and come back for me at their leisure.

I thought biplanes were objectively the best airplanes in the game!*

*I didn't really think that, it's dumb.

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General

Hav posted:

Actually has kills to it's name as well, which is fairly impressive. Of course, there is comparing an aircraft from 2 different centuries for wildly different regimes and doctrine; I'd like to see the F-35 operate from an FoB that is under chemical and biological attack.

Thats a 90 second *coolant* water supply at *full rate* which they don't need to do, and I've watched harriers hovering for far longer at airshows. It's not 'dumping' the water any more than your car 'shits water into the engine'.

If you want to complain about the harrier, it's low speed handling is utter poo poo, it's vulnerable during transition and the weapons payload is *severely* compromised if you need VTOL and it used to be ramp launched as a preference, but the biggest problem is that it's role disappeared with the concept of the Western European Ground Theater and air launched munitions, along with the idea that there would be a desparate guerilla retrograde battle. We lost the Lynx for many of the same reasons, and the Apache being such a beast.

Not sure about the whole coolant bit, but one of the big reasons why it isn't used in a hover very often is because there is a risk that the exhaust can get sucked back up into the intake and cause the engine to flame out. It's also one of the reasons why the F-35 was chosen over the competing design because the ducted fan helps prevent that.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

mlmp08 posted:

I thought biplanes were objectively the best airplanes in the game!*

*I didn't really think that, it's dumb.

No, you were right. Never be afraid to have fun pissing of tryhards at the expense of your super-lolercaust-I'm-bettererer gif.

Being afraid in e-planes is so... lame?

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Rest In Piss RommelsWarcrimes, you were too good for this world.

Gotta love the nazi sympathizer moderators.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

armchairyoda posted:

No, you were right. Never be afraid to have fun pissing of tryhards at the expense of your super-lolercaust-I'm-bettererer gif.

You're quite the puppet master.

I took the retarded poo poo you posted for your actual opinions. Well done. :golfclap:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Xaander posted:

Would you mind elaborating more on "grittier" Hellcat advice and tricks? I can handle myself well in a dogfight with a lighter fighter but the F6F hasn't clicked with me for some reason. I like it - it's a nice plane. But I don't think I'm using it to its strengths. Should I be sticking to high altitude boom-and-zoom maneuvers? Bomber hassling? And if I get caught in a fight with lighter planes should I just bug out and try to escape through sheer engine power?

The hellcat is an excellent turner that can reach high speeds, but compresses hard beyond 600kph. Beyond 500 its rudder becomes essentially useless, so learn to love those ailerons. It's an energy fighter which can turn better than almost anything that isn't a Zero at its level. A spitfire will out-turn it for a turn or two, but then you'll have an energy advantage. It retains energy well and is more useful in a sustained dogfight than the low tier spitfires, so drag them into yoyos and spit-S's. Everything else you can basically just run circles around.

It's fast but not super fast, it can easily outrun most of the things it can't out-turn, provided you keep its energy up. Just don't get caught in a situation where you're at energy parity and need to get away fast, and you'll be fine.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jun 3, 2014

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

armchairyoda posted:

your super-lolercaust-I'm-bettererer gif.

Hey, I found a gif of B-17 pilots trying to recover after their wing got shot to poo poo:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

armchairyoda posted:

Lol this has to be the lamest, latest backpedal ever

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I love Jungle. I sat on my B-25 until the map was almost over, and every German in the area dogpiled into our cap. I charged in there, didn't even look to see what was there, and dropped all that I had. Panther, Panther, Tiger, Panzer IV H, booooom holy poo poo. It's impossible to play this plane and not laugh like a maniac the entire time.

The B-25 owns more Germans than the Treaty of Versailles.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

owns more Germans than the Treaty of Versailles.

This is great, ima steal that.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dezztroy posted:

Gotta love the nazi sympathizer moderators.

Thats not even offensive. You can have terrible names as long as they offend minorities no one respects.
I have had "RapeChampIndia" for a week now

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord

Subyng posted:

Trying planes in arcade. Can someone tell me what I'm supposed to do in my biplane when I'm facing planes a tier higher than can wreck my poo poo with absolute ease?

You're a sardine with a few sharp teeth. Try to dart out of the line of fire at the right moment and get a little nibble on the big and fast guy's tail.

Also the bigger your school of baitfish is, the greater your chances for survival and reprisal are.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I shot down a PBY and Buffalo with ease in a MiG-3.

Unrelated, even a plastic garbage bag can strangle a prize fighter if the prize fighter is a complete idiot.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
Speaking of biplanes, I've been playing my Marcolin's in RB and that thing just wrecks stuff at that level. I don't know why it's so good, or even if it's good at all, but it's just fun.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
It's gonna suck if one of you dudes loses your account because you made too many funny names. Then again, this game is at its best from Era I-III so its not like starting over would be that bad.

Xaander posted:

Would you mind elaborating more on "grittier" Hellcat advice and tricks? I can handle myself well in a dogfight with a lighter fighter but the F6F hasn't clicked with me for some reason. I like it - it's a nice plane. But I don't think I'm using it to its strengths. Should I be sticking to high altitude boom-and-zoom maneuvers? Bomber hassling? And if I get caught in a fight with lighter planes should I just bug out and try to escape through sheer engine power?

Fart Car '97 posted:

The hellcat is an excellent turner that can reach high speeds, but compresses hard beyond 600kph. Beyond 500 its rudder becomes essentially useless, so learn to love those ailerons. It's an energy fighter which can turn better than almost anything that isn't a Zero at its level. A spitfire will out-turn it for a turn or two, but then you'll have an energy advantage. It retains energy well and is more useful in a sustained dogfight than the low tier spitfires, so drag them into yoyos and spit-S's. Everything else you can basically just run circles around.

It's fast but not super fast, it can easily outrun most of the things it can't out-turn, provided you keep its energy up. Just don't get caught in a situation where you're at energy parity and need to get away fast, and you'll be fine.

Pretty much this. The main thing I see Hellcat players missing out on is that they don't push their plane to go as fast as it can. It is considerably agile for how hardy it is but don't be afraid to full throttle that loving thing straight at the ground if given the opportunity. Sure, there's elevator compression but every plane has that. Learning how to fly with lowered maneuverability will make you a much better BnZer because you will be forced to draw your lines more accurately. I personally try to push every plane I fly to the shaky-screen redline at least once per round. It gives you a good feel for exactly how hard you can go and after a while you become comfortable enough with it to actually use it in a combat situation without it becoming a distraction or stressing out over it.

The plane has a pretty amazing climbrate if you don't load those heavy rear end bombs and rockets. Get way above people and just BnZ harder than you're used to. It will click to the point where you can do some P-47 level type poo poo but with half the ammo to mess around with but since it's in Era II a lot of the people you swoop on will not even see you coming.

Hellcats also seem to be pretty good at baiting people into loops and just powering through them better to gain the advantage. I dunno how 'true' that is but its just something I feel when fighting other planes of similar level. Like the plane can turn well for what it is, but I try not to focus on that aspect because energy fighting is almost always the better option. I think its best to reserve the crazy maneuvering pilot poo poo for furballs and when you are caught off-guard on the defensive. Doing stuff like that in a plane that isn't exactly a dedicated turn fighter and without a teammate nearby is the easiest way to get trapped into a fight when you don't really have to.

Sorry if this isn't really helpful and all over the place, I'm kinda blasted right now.

mlmp08 posted:

Hey, I found a gif of B-17 pilots trying to recover after their wing got shot to poo poo:

lol that is also me in the twin mustang every time i try to fly it.

mlmp08 posted:

I shot down a PBY and Buffalo with ease in a MiG-3.

Unrelated, even a plastic garbage bag can strangle a prize fighter if the prize fighter is a complete idiot.

I just look at bombers as flying whales except my harpoons are rockets and 30mm cannons. And sometimes you just gotta go full Ahab and get dragged down with it.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Thief posted:

I just look at bombers as flying whales except my harpoons are rockets and 30mm cannons. And sometimes you just gotta go full Ahab and get dragged down with it.

Luckily the Mig-3 makes up for its miserable flight characteristics by having utterly average to lovely guns.

But when a PBY decides to head on you, it's kind of easy to kill pilots.

edit: the next game a Ki-61 and competent Buffalot pilot showed up, so lol we got owned hard.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

haha literally everyone in the :911: ki-61/zero is a loving seal clubbing griefer.

see also: premium he-112 and :japan: corsair (aka the best corsair)

it's not even like they're bad planes or anything. These planes are awesome but for whatever reason are ignored by inexperienced players... well the he-112 is overrated a bit but a lot better than it used to be.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Thief posted:

Hellcats also seem to be pretty good at baiting people into loops and just powering through them better to gain the advantage.

It's true, the hellcat can loops for days. I think it's the bizarro combo of a great climb rate and heavy weight which let it just constantly trade altitude and speed in loops over and over and over until your opponent is floundering around below you and you can take a shot.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Fart Car '97 posted:

It's true, the hellcat can loops for days. I think it's the bizarro combo of a great climb rate and heavy weight which let it just constantly trade altitude and speed in loops over and over and over until your opponent is floundering around below you and you can take a shot.

This is actually exactly what an HE-112 does to completely dominate biplanes. I just kept bouncing a chaika with loops earlier until he was drat near stalling out of the sky faster than I could shoot him.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

F6F-3 Hot Tip!!: Drop flaps as you pull into your loop and retract them at the apex for maximum spitfire/zero owning action :c00l:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Fart Car '97 posted:

F6F-3 Hot Tip!!: Drop flaps as you pull into your loop and retract them at the apex for maximum spitfire/zero owning action :c00l:

Really just do this for all planes unless they're the fast extending flaps that will insta-snap at high speeds.

Also, some flaps retract instantly while others will take a while. This was very noticeable on the Grieffon Spits. I broke those loving flaps off all the time when they first came out.

Token Cracker
Dec 22, 2004
I think I need to get better at flying but I don't really know where I need to improve. How much should I be using my keyboard when I'm flying in arcade? I use it to perform barrel rolls and immelmann rolls but otherwise my hands are pretty much never touching the pitch, roll, or yaw keys. Would using the keyboard more help during basic dogfighting outside of performing those maneuvers? I still get 5-6 kills a round but I've feel I've hit a wall where I'm just not improving. I actually do the best in the japanese planes because they are so incredibly manuverable during dogfights but I think that's just my style of play. They seem completely overpowered to me.

Also, how do I effectively use my flaps? I still don't really understand what they do or when I should use them.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

The B-25 owns more Germans than the Treaty of Versailles.

You mean it's overrated in its importance and it can mostly be ignored without repercussion? :mmmhmm:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Token Cracker posted:

Also, how do I effectively use my flaps? I still don't really understand what they do or when I should use them.

Start learning flaps by using them when you land.

If your gear is down or lowering, pressing the flaps key will automatically toggle them to the fullest setting which is for landing. This lowers your stall speed. As you slow down you will notice how "floaty" your plane feels. You can even raise them when settled over the runway to drop out of the sky and onto your wheels. IRL, landing flaps will reduce the effectiveness of your wheel brakes because some of the weight of the plane is being lifted off the gear. I don't know if this is reflected in game but I tend to raise my flaps once I'm on the ground anyway. But because of drag and flight models I have a feeling that leaving them down will actually be more beneficial in this cartoon videogame.

edit: it also doesn't matter if you've been playing a while because you'll be full firing your guns to slow you down and zig-zag drifting to keep from flying off the end of the airfield when you do more aggressive landings.

Thief fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jun 3, 2014

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Thief posted:

edit: it also doesn't matter if you've been playing a while because you'll be full firing your guns to slow you down and zig-zag drifting to keep from flying off the end of the airfield when you do more aggressive landings.

Airfields are so forgiving for what counts as a "landing" these days that I just pancake my fuselage onto the runway most of the time :v:

Kiyanis
Sep 25, 2007

BBQ Now.
Here's a gif.

Here's a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c27rUQz7kCE

I'm so glad combined arms came back to simulator mode.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

Thief posted:

Really just do this for all planes unless they're the fast extending flaps that will insta-snap at high speeds.

Also, some flaps retract instantly while others will take a while. This was very noticeable on the Grieffon Spits. I broke those loving flaps off all the time when they first came out.

They're not even loving flaps, they're like a super flap/airbrake combo. Drop flaps in your G-spit and watch all your speed instantly disappear.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I can't seem to do anything with this SU-122 I unlocked except get one-shot by neo-Nazis that I can't see and I'm not mobile enough to get away from them like in the T-34. How do I tank destroyer?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Luigi Thirty posted:

I can't seem to do anything with this SU-122 I unlocked except get one-shot by neo-Nazis that I can't see and I'm not mobile enough to get away from them like in the T-34. How do I tank destroyer?

Shoot from further away, you dont want to be on the front lines. support the main push

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

I'm not partial to the SU-122 because it's low rate of fire and significant drop limits it's effectiveness. Like the KV-2, it's funny, but there are better tanks. Due to it's long reload, shell speed, and the time it can take to line up a shot in difficult terrain, you want to play as an ambush predator.

Use the terrain to your advantage. Lock down important roads and corners, where traffic is high. Take your shot, retreat into cover, and reload. If you're far away, anyone that tries to charge you will have to expose themselves to do so. If someone becomes aware of your position, relocate. Try not to pop up on the crest of hills, because that poo poo sucks. Your depression sucks. Your tank isn't fast enough. Instead, peek around from the sides, using any berms you find to obscure as much as your hull as possible. If you are a pro-tier howitzer shooter ( or lucky as poo poo ) you can guess the arc of your shell and use it to arc over hills at distance to hit people on the opposite side.

I'm not so sure about the choice between HEAT and HE. Using HE, I've killed and crippled things I'd be unable to kill with HEAT. HEAT also has a lower muzzle velocity than HE ( I think ) which makes long distance shots more of a pain in the rear end. I think HE shells do the job well enough. The only things you need to sweat are KV series, IS series, and Tigers, and the last two are pretty rare. If you do encounter one of these, a shot to the gun is a good bet. Big HE de-guns tanks like whoa.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Just played some low tier games as Germans, lost every single game. It's sooooo frustrating how feeble low tier German tanks are compared to Russian ones. It's especially frustrating because pubbies are demonstratably not good, they just get lucky with their APHE rounds killing everything inside your stupid German paper mache box tank (not that I don't get lucky hits either, but I actually aim for specific spots and get mostly consistent results. I don't believe the same pubbies that can consistently let me solo them 2-on-1 in a StuG at point blank ranges know what they're doing). Conversely, playing as Russians is basically win mode, but dammit I want to have fun in my dumb boxtanks too!

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
Is ammo selection getting hosed up on certain tanks? I mean I was checking and double checking my ammo loadout and still ending up with three separate loads of HE.

Subyng posted:

Just played some low tier games as Germans, lost every single game. It's sooooo frustrating how feeble low tier German tanks are compared to Russian ones. It's especially frustrating because pubbies are demonstratably not good, they just get lucky with their APHE rounds killing everything inside your stupid German paper mache box tank (not that I don't get lucky hits either, but I actually aim for specific spots and get mostly consistent results. I don't believe the same pubbies that can consistently let me solo them 2-on-1 in a StuG at point blank ranges know what they're doing). Conversely, playing as Russians is basically win mode, but dammit I want to have fun in my dumb boxtanks too!

This situation evens out when you hit the PzIV-F2 and reverses when you get the Panther and Tiger.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
German tanks really pick up in T2, the F2 is a mean gun on a modest platform while the ausf L is a solid all-rounder tank. But man the ammo rack placements on many of the T2 german tanks seem to turn things into sudden death boxes. I've seen T-50s plink me while I then immediately erupt into flames.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Geisladisk posted:

Are you sure? I've never seen a plane get hit by a tank round and not get wrecked.

Yup, I had it happen many times, even with standard APHE shells - the fuse on these often just doesn't go off as they don't feel enough "impact" to believe they actually hit anything.

APCR is even worse as, APCR simply will leave a hole the diameter of the subcaliber munition and that's it (In reality, it would be a hole the size of the aluminum liner but I doubt that is considered), so in case of 75mm APCR shell, you have like, 37mm diameter hole. Considering planes are mostly made of empty, you have very good chance that the shell will pass more or less harmlessly.

Of course, if you send the APCR shell through the engine block/pilot, some control lining, or the cantilever in wing root, you can still down the plane, but you have to hit the "bones" of the plane to do anything worth talking about. Otherwise it's like shooting a plane with 37mm AP shell, try that. It usually doesn't work.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD

crabcakes66 posted:

Is ammo selection getting hosed up on certain tanks? I mean I was checking and double checking my ammo loadout and still ending up with three separate loads of HE.

This situation evens out when you hit the PzIV-F2 and reverses when you get the Panther and Tiger.

http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/146412-ammunition-selection-glitch-ground-forces/

You have to go test drive a tank with all the ammo types and then remeber not to zero out any ammo type when you play normal games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Just checked the test server as we are probably getting close to the next patch being built.

Only 2 new vehicles for definite so far -

T54 - 1947
Sea Fury FB11

Probably is more new vehicles on test already but you cant tell as most vehicle types share the one file e.g. there is just one file for the 10+ Spitfires. Hurricanes file has changed so there might be finally a later model Hurricane added.

• Locked thread