Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

i'm a shark!!! i'm a SHAAAARK!! suck my diick!! I'M A SHAAARK!!
Just finished on Über. 100% and all achievments. Three playthroughs in 33 hours played.

I guess that's it for me. I don't ever replay a game three times in a row. Nor do i usually try for 100%. And i sure as poo poo never play on the hardest difficulties (usually it's more tedious than fun). That means something i guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Triggsz posted:

Just finished on Über. 100% and all achievments. Three playthroughs in 33 hours played.

I guess that's it for me. I don't ever replay a game three times in a row. Nor do i usually try for 100%. And i sure as poo poo never play on the hardest difficulties (usually it's more tedious than fun). That means something i guess.

You are now a BJ's BRO

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I know it's entirely unlikely but machine games would probably make the best Duke Nukem game.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

The game generally runs pretty well on my 660 Ti, but there's tons of texture pop-in every time I freelook quickly. Is this normal? It really breaks my immersion when I have to wait for, say, the wall textures to load after a sharp turn.

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

i'm a shark!!! i'm a SHAAAARK!! suck my diick!! I'M A SHAAARK!!

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

You are now a BJ's BRO

Where is my gangtag bitch?

A Machinegames take on Duke Nukem would have him become a champion of feminism. I would give them all my money.

Amebx fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 1, 2014

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I'd settle for playing a different char, as long as the group/organization you're repping is changed to give props to BJ.

"BJ's Bastards" or some poo poo.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
... Inglorious BJ's? :raise: Maybe not. :haw:

Triggsz posted:

A Machinegames take on Duke Nukem would have him become a champion of feminism. I would give them all my money.

You and me both man.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 1, 2014

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.

Wengy posted:

The game generally runs pretty well on my 660 Ti, but there's tons of texture pop-in every time I freelook quickly. Is this normal? It really breaks my immersion when I have to wait for, say, the wall textures to load after a sharp turn.

Yep, I've got a 660 Ti and I get the same thing. It sounds like that happens even at the recommended specs, though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wengy posted:

It's a quirk of the ID Tech 5 engine.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wengy posted:

Increasing the texture cache in the options helps with this. I had the same card and didn't have many issues with pop-in after tweaking that.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

echronorian posted:

I know it's entirely unlikely but machine games would probably make the best Duke Nukem game.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

PAnick
Aug 6, 2006

Build:
- Polygons
- Muscle

ShineDog posted:

Like, specifically I'm thinking of that coal shuffling robot in the basement of the first prison.

Oh you mean this guy.

Yeah the Coal Loader didn't get much use in the game. :D

Prisontransport

There a lot models I created that I'm pretty sure no one will ever see, or at least notice much.
But that's just how it is, and I would never complain about it. Scripters and coders have it worse since they cant really show you anything "cool". They don't get an artbook or something similar like us artist.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Look at me flip that bit in this LUA script.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Triggsz posted:

Where is my gangtag bitch?

Duke's dead, baby. Duke's dead.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I know the LKW is the go to weapon, but performing nazi lasik with that first cutter you get is so much god damned fun.

PAnick
Aug 6, 2006

Build:
- Polygons
- Muscle
I also did a lot of stamping in Wolfenstein. Since we have Megatexture (every pixel is unique), you can say I "painted" texture and details on the environments. For example:

(I recommend opening two pics in separate tabs and clicking between them to see the difference)
Before:

After:

I worked with cracks, dirt, decals and even small objects. It was really fun and a trick was to try telling a little story in every room. So if there is pipes one of them has started leaking, leading to mold and maybe a small puddle. Show that something is old by adding dust on top of things, put up posters, vents and so on. Naturally it's also for breaking up tiling textures.

My biggest project was the whole rebel base in Kreisau. I remembered too late to take before/after pictures, so I have only a few:

The biggest challenge was not to get too snowed in on a piece of the level. I had to constantly remind myself that this is a 60fps fps action game. Most players will be running by these walls and floors in a second. :D But I spent lots of weekends pimping out some of my favorite rooms like Tekla's, Briefing and everything on the second floor.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
The levels really are wonderfully detailed. I give megatextures a thumbs up.

Oh yeah, here's a guide on how Moon Nazis date each other:

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
For all idTech 5's faults, megatextures really lend to worldbuilding and I think that TNO is a prime example of their use to create an immersive setting, with PANick's work being testament to that.

I've almost finished my collectible playthrough, and I'm seriously considering an Uber playthrough, although I know there's going to be frustrating bits in there. Not only has it been the most value I've gotten out of a full priced game so far with two playthroughs, it's probably the most enjoyable release of the year tied with South Park at the moment. Give me DLC!

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Has anyone found some good console commands yet? I just wanna bring the double barrel loaded with shrapnel shot with me to every level :q:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I, Butthole posted:

For all idTech 5's faults, megatextures really lend to worldbuilding and I think that TNO is a prime example of their use to create an immersive setting, with PANick's work being testament to that.

I've almost finished my collectible playthrough, and I'm seriously considering an Uber playthrough, although I know there's going to be frustrating bits in there. Not only has it been the most value I've gotten out of a full priced game so far with two playthroughs, it's probably the most enjoyable release of the year tied with South Park at the moment. Give me DLC!

I barely finish games once and I'm up to the moon base in my second 'do the other storyline/find the collectables/get the rest of the perks' playthrough and I'm contemplating an Uber run when I finish too. I can't remember the last time I wanted to do that with a game.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

your evil twin posted:

The levels really are wonderfully detailed. I give megatextures a thumbs up.

Oh yeah, here's a guide on how Moon Nazis date each other:

Mild activities. :haw:

This is hilarious when you think about the Moon officer who sent a highly detailed personal advertisement for a dating service. Such male entitlement cranked to eleven.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I love the detail, and on my second collectathon play through I've noticed so much more as I'm scrounging the environment.

Would you say the mega texture is an advantage as a developer or as it a slog?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Ok so I just bought the game and installed the latest drivers (i5, Radeon HD 5800, 8 GB RAM). RAGE and just about every other modern game runs great on my PC but Wolfenstein TNO's performance is just unplayable for me. I'm averaging probably 10-20 FPS. Even the intro videos at the start stutter uncontrollably, which is just bizarre.

Does anybody gave that 32-bit exe trick handy? Maybe that might help.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 2, 2014

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!
This is all sorts of amazing.

Xenomrph posted:

Heresy, it's not a Wolfenstein game without BJ.
Halo: ODST was a drat fine Halo game and it didn't have the Master Chief.

Grey Fox V2 fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 2, 2014

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Grey Fox V2 posted:

This is all sorts of amazing.

Halo: ODST was a drat fine Halo game and it didn't have the Master Chief.
Halo: Reach was an even better Halo game with out the big MC, but it still ain't a Wolfenstein game without BJ Blazcowicz. :colbert:

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

BJ grew old and so did we. After the ending to NWO I think it's time to move on and do something cool. Having a female lead for the Wolfenstein series would be kind of awesome especially since Wolf was the seminal FPS-with-white-dude-shooting-Nazis game.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Why is that better? BJ is the Lara Croft of Wolfenstein.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Ain't nothing wrong with a little change.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Grey Fox V2 posted:

Ain't nothing wrong with a little change.
In this case there is. :colbert:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Obviously the answer to the conundrum is to have BJ find a special occult artifact that will empower him with VITA rays and make him into Captain America and then he can lead the resistance troops on to victory against whatever loving nazi bastard he finds in front of him. He doesn't even have to throw the shield, he can just use it to batter the living poo poo out of whatever nazi is in front of him.

I just love the fact that he's flat out told "There's no resistance, the war is over, they won" and he's just like "Well, gently caress that. Just means I don't have to aim as much anymore if all I'm gonna hit are GOD DAMNED NAZIS" and proceeds to kill the poo poo out of em.

You can't even blame the brain damage for all of it. Most, yes, but not all.

gently caress I love this game. I think it could have benefited from a "human shield" aspect though, like in Saint's Row 2. I think BJ would be more than happy to let a nazi act as a bullet sponge for him while he kills a lot more of em, then kills the shield if he's still breathing.

I think this might be the first FPS in a long time where it's not "white guy killing leagues of brown people in brown corridors".

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Xenomrph posted:

In this case there is. :colbert:

Then lets have BJ suffer a gender identity crisis and acknowledge both markets. :colbert:

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky
I know that someone out there will eventually release a mod that turns this into a Captain America game.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

kefkafloyd posted:

Mild activities. :haw:

This is hilarious when you think about the Moon officer who sent a highly detailed personal advertisement for a dating service. Such male entitlement cranked to eleven.

Do you tire of competing in a man's world? Are you sick of trying to make your own identity and be your own person? Then please be pretty enough to consider taking a test to be a sutible wife for me! I am looking forward to a large family of possibly over ten children, future wife!:spergin::godwinning:

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Wengy posted:

I have a GTX 570 and what helped me was keeping the texture cache at medium, but increasing the pages per frame to 32.

GreatGreen posted:

Ok so I just bought the game and installed the latest drivers (i5, Radeon HD 5800, 8 GB RAM). RAGE and just about every other modern game runs great on my PC but Wolfenstein TNO's performance is just unplayable for me. I'm averaging probably 10-20 FPS. Even the intro videos at the start stutter uncontrollably, which is just bizarre.

Does anybody gave that 32-bit exe trick handy? Maybe that might help.

That "32-bit exe" trick is weird, because you aren't actually turning it into a 32-bit exe. You are still running the same 64-bit exe file, just through a symlink. I have no clue how it can actually help anything.

EDIT: Here is the "trick": http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=35534380
You aren't really doing anything other than creating a shortcut.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 2, 2014

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

This seems relevant:

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I always imagined BJ tying all the batons he picks up during the "stealth" sections into some sort of shoddy Native American breastplate.

Edit: PAnick, were the guys who made the music inspired by Mark Morgan's stuff sometimes? Der Mond and London Nautica sound like I'm listening to something from Fallout 2.

Broose fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 2, 2014

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
What's all this on the Gibraltar Bridge level?

"Why Torbjörn?" is also in Starbreeze's Syndicate according to Google.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
After sitting down and actually listening to the menu music for a while, it finally clicked to me that right around :55 seconds in, it weaves in the classic RTCW fanfare that plays at the end of levels (and in a few places in Wolf 09). At first I didn't think they included it in the game, but it's been staring me in the face the whole time.

edit: Seriously, PAnick, if you have any way to get comments to the music people in this game, let them know they knocked it out of the freaking park. Ransacked is getting universal praise from everyone I share it with.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 3, 2014

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Im just disappointed i cant find the specific tune for the final level. :smith: I think its a redo of the menu theme but not certain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I think you are right. It's either a remix or just a short snip on repeat. Maybe someday when everyone and their mother are not putting out "walkthroughs" (read: nerd voice over a poo poo recording quality) people uploading ripped music will be able to be found on youtube.

• Locked thread