Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Yea, I paid under $20 for my W101.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Waltzing Along posted:

I think Nintendo should 1 - extend the free game offer and 2 - offer it with every big release. It will drive sales of games and systems and a digital download is of negligible cost to them.

You have to be careful with free games though. If you do it too often, people start to feel cheated and they'll stop bothering to buy anything but the big Nintendo releases. It works for the games with MK8, since all of the games were pretty early releases.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
That's a good point. Scratch my idea. Only do it sometimes. Actually, gently caress all y'all late adopters. Only do it this time!

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Doing something similar with Smash Bros would be a good idea. If they're not going to drop the price of the console anytime soon then they need to be aggressive with deals like the free game promo to get new people on board.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think their tactic with SSB might be to do controller bundles instead of extra games, since it's fundamentally a multiplayer title and people will want something more robust than just an extra Wiimote. I could see them bundling in a Pro with the game or system (they'll probably push that controller for the average user, with the GC adapter as a more niche item).

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Elliotw2 posted:

You have to be careful with free games though. If you do it too often, people start to feel cheated and they'll stop bothering to buy anything but the big Nintendo releases. It works for the games with MK8, since all of the games were pretty early releases.

Sony releases free games every month.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Supercar Gautier posted:

I think their tactic with SSB might be to do controller bundles instead of extra games, since it's fundamentally a multiplayer title and people will want something more robust than just an extra Wiimote. I could see them bundling in a Pro with the game or system (they'll probably push that controller for the average user, with the GC adapter as a more niche item).

The problem with that is they can't match that with the digital version and really they'll want to push that version as well if not harder than the physical version (especially because it costs the same, doesn't have any cost to produce or get in stores and can't be resold).

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

irlZaphod posted:

On that matter, I'm kinda torn between W101 and Pikmin 3. I've never played a Pikmin game, and I'm just not sure I'd really enjoy either. I already have Wind Waker and NSMBU, and again I'm not sure I'd be crazy about Monster Hunter. The only other option I really see there is Nintendo Land, which has a good reputation here but I could probably get it cheap enough anyway. Sonic: Lost World is pretty bad, right?

I'd go for Pikmin 3, especially since it's the more expensive title.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

The Taint Reaper posted:

And now we expect them and I'll guarantee people will get butt hurt when a game doesn't go free. It's probably happened before.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

The Taint Reaper posted:

Sony also has a lot more games that are worth the bandwidth to download. After NSMBU, Zelda HD and Pikmin Nintendo could give away... 3D World and Mario Kart? Doesn't seem sustainable.

e: At least, not giving people a choice of 4 with 3 of them being pretty generally recommendable.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The Taint Reaper posted:

That's pretty different since it's a formerly optional subscription. I mean, Nintendo could do it, but I'd expect a lot of people to just wait on the deal.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Electromax posted:

Sony also has a lot more games that are worth the bandwidth to download. After NSMBU, Zelda HD and Pikmin Nintendo could give away... 3D World and Mario Kart? Doesn't seem sustainable.

e: At least, not giving people a choice of 4 with 3 of them being pretty generally recommendable.

I'd say as of current there's only like 12-13 games for the Wii-U system that are good and worth playing. Maybe one every other month until things maybe get going could be possible,

Granted one's a re-release and the other was some sort of weird hybrid stand alone DLC.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

8-bit Miniboss posted:

And now we expect them and I'll guarantee people will get butt hurt when a game doesn't go free. It's probably happened before.

This is true. It's not so much people complain when a game doesn't go free is that every month when the games are announced, there's a bunch of people whining that they don't like the games or that they're all games they already have or that the US/EU is getting better games.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Electromax posted:

Then they can give away VC games, which costs them literally nothing. Oh you're buying the new Zelda? Here are download codes for Zelda, Zelda 2, the two GBC games and LTTP. Seems like a good deal to me.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Louisgod posted:

Then they can give away VC games, which costs them literally nothing. Oh you're buying the new Zelda? Here are download codes for Zelda, Zelda 2, the two GBC games and LTTP. Seems like a good deal to me.

Yeah that would be good, they're 30 year old videogames most of them they've already made their money from those.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Louisgod posted:

This would easily be the best choice. I don't think the Wii U is gonna pick up in a way where they can do something like they did with Mario Kart more than once a year but they could easily just throw heaps of VC games at people and they'll be happy. It won't sell things like I think this helped Mario Kart, but it wouldn't hurt.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

irlZaphod posted:

On that matter, I'm kinda torn between W101 and Pikmin 3. I've never played a Pikmin game, and I'm just not sure I'd really enjoy either. I already have Wind Waker and NSMBU, and again I'm not sure I'd be crazy about Monster Hunter. The only other option I really see there is Nintendo Land, which has a good reputation here but I could probably get it cheap enough anyway. Sonic: Lost World is pretty bad, right?

I guess I'm stressing over nothing, it's a free game after all, and I already have a ton of half-finished WiiU games so it'd just go to the back of the queue. :v:

Those are two very different games and yet they've got some kind of strange symmetries in feeling. Wonderful 101 is highly technical, intended to be played more than once, and is a crazy, over the top experience. It's very much a Platinum game where the first time through you're learning how to play and then you can do the awesome stuff. It's fast paced, strongly action based

Pikmin 3 is more gently paced but you're pressured by the time limit (which is actually extremely generous). It's more about going back and forth and exploring the environment.

I liked both a lot, but between the two I prefer Wonderful 101. But, you might be able to get that game cheaper than Pikmin so the correct answer is to use Pikmin 3 as your free game and just buy Wonderful 101.

Electromax posted:

Virtual Console would be the perfect way to handle this (and you'll note that Nintendo has just about given up on physical Club Nintendo rewards in exchange for those). Of course, Sony's give away is an incentive to sign up for their subscription service and stay subscribed...

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Louisgod posted:

This. Back when the original Windwaker came out, they had that disc that was Zelda 1, Zelda 2, OOT and MM. Today you could do something like Zelda 1, Zelda 2, LTTP for the next Wii U game and Link's Awakening, the Oracle Games, and Minish Cap when, say, Majora's Mask 3DS inevitably comes out.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Patter Song posted:

This. Back when the original Windwaker came out, they had that disc that was Zelda 1, Zelda 2, OOT and MM. Today you could do something like Zelda 1, Zelda 2, LTTP for the next Wii U game and Link's Awakening, the Oracle Games, and Minish Cap when, say, Majora's Mask 3DS inevitably comes out.

No that Zelda one with the two NES games and the two N64 games was a pack in for the console or subscribing to Nintendo power.

The one that came with Windwaker was the one with the master quest of OoT.

Yet stores still sold the former as a separate release for 10 dollars because nobody wanted to buy a new gamecube for that one anthology collection.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

I still say VC should be subscription based. Would see more interest and more money for them in the long run. How many people in the world want to buy Super Mario Bros. or Balloon Fight three times?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I remember when I bought Link Between Worlds, I was told that I had a download code for Oracle of Seasons on my receipt. I didn't even know I was getting a free VC game but it inspired me to play it, beat it, and then buy Oracle of Ages too without even intending to. More freebie VC games would be a great way to let new and old players play for the first time/revisit some old classic nintendo titles.

By the way, I know this is the WiiU thread but go buy the Oracle games on 3DS VC. They are fantastic games and the ability to suspend your game at any time makes it super-easy to do the password linking feature that is a huge draw between the two since you can just suspend the game right there on the password screens.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Do I need to play pikmin 1 and 2 before fully enjoying 3?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

A Bootleg GBA Cart posted:

Not really no. The game explains itself pretty well (and very thoroughly) for new players.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I still say VC should be subscription based. Would see more interest and more money for them in the long run. How many people in the world want to buy Super Mario Bros. or Balloon Fight three times?

Subscription VC would be loving rad.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Nah but if you love 3 the older ones still hold up so you can go back and play them later. Each game has a nice amount of variety from the others too.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

If you can find them, they actually updated Pikmin 1 and 2 with the Wiimote controls similar to 3 as well. Pikmin 2 is a fantastic game to just sorta relax with since it doesn't have the time limit like the other two.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
There's nothing story wise or call backs to the old games that I might not get if I start with Pikmin 3 first? Thank you!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

There's nothing story wise or call backs to the old games that I might not get if I start with Pikmin 3 first? Thank you!

Pikmin isn't really a game you play for the story.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

There's references a character that carries forward but it doesn't matter at all. It's mainly there for people who played the old games to go, "Hey, I remember that!"

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

There are, it's just not really a big deal. They're games about collecting weird junk and killing cute animals in gorgeous locations. They've got minimal plots, a few recurring characters, a decent amount of entertaining flavor text and that's really it.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Louisgod posted:

NoE has been doing this pretty reliably, haven't they? I mean, it's not quite to that extent, but I know digital copies of both Kirby 3D and Mario Golf came with previous GB editions, and I'm pretty sure they've done it a few other times, too.

In the US I know I got Donkey Kong Original Edition for buying Sticker Star digitally.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Would be cool to see them do a sega channel like subscription service. (Dear god thinking about that makes me feel old)

Pay a fee, have certain games available all the time, some available for a month or so, and as something new compared to the old cable box cartridge, if you couldn't live without a certain game (oh crap, Ogre Battle 64 is back :swoon: ) you could buy certain titles to play all the time. Subscribing gets you access to games that the regular EShop doesn't have and you get a taste of what's coming soon.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Regy Rusty posted:

There are, it's just not really a big deal. They're games about collecting weird junk and killing cute animals in gorgeous locations. They've got minimal plots, a few recurring characters, a decent amount of entertaining flavor text and that's really it.

axleblaze posted:

Pikmin isn't really a game you play for the story.

Random Stranger posted:

There's references a character that carries forward but it doesn't matter at all. It's mainly there for people who played the old games to go, "Hey, I remember that!"

Thank you! I was just worried because I beat Mother 3 last weekend and the game had nothing to do with Earthbound 1 or 2 but there were so many cool references and callbacks I still would have recommended people play the others first.

Will choose Pikmin 3 as my free game. :toot:

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Just got prompted todo a system update, any idea what it fixes/adds?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Just got prompted todo a system update, any idea what it fixes/adds?

It's actually a big one. I can't find English update notes yet but it includes the new quick start function which is nice.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Spiffster posted:

Would be cool to see them do a sega channel like subscription service. (Dear god thinking about that makes me feel old)

Pay a fee, have certain games available all the time, some available for a month or so, and as something new compared to the old cable box cartridge, if you couldn't live without a certain game (oh crap, Ogre Battle 64 is back :swoon: ) you could buy certain titles to play all the time. Subscribing gets you access to games that the regular EShop doesn't have and you get a taste of what's coming soon.

This exists these days and it's called Playstation Plus.

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

Spiffster posted:

Oh man. I had sega channel growing up. That was the best thing. I remember that berenstain bears game would be in the list every single week though.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Patch notes:

quote:

Version 5.0.0 U, available via an Internet connection, includes the following improvements:

New Features:

-A Quick Start Menu is now displayed when users press the GamePad POWER Button or HOME Button to power on the Wii U
Users can start recently played or newly installed software directly from the Quick Start Menu *1

- Wii U GamePad Alerts (special notifications from Nintendo) can be displayed on the GamePad when the Wii U is powered down
Users will be notified with an audio ringtone when a new GamePad Alert is displayed
GamePad Alerts that have been received can also be viewed through the Quick Start Menu*2

Changes to Standby Functions:

-System updates will now automatically install after download when the Wii U is in Standby

Changes to the Wii U Menu:

-The User Settings screen now displays when users select their User Mii from the Wii U Menu
-The design and layout of the Users Settings screen has been updated
This includes the ability to switch the active user from the User Settings screen

Changes to System Settings:

-Quick Start Menu options have been added to Power Settings
Wii U GamePad Alert options are located within the Quick Start Menu options

Changes to the HOME Menu

-A Notification icon is now available on the HOME Menu, allowing users to launch the Notifications feature from the HOME Menu

Improvements to system stability and usability:

-Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience

(*1) The Quick Start Menu is only displayed when the Wii U GamePad POWER or HOME Buttons are pressed. Other controllers, such as the Wii Remote Plus and Wii U Pro Controller, will continue to power on the Wii U

(*2) Wii U GamePad Alerts are different from the notifications received via the Wii U Notifications feature. Wii U GamePad Alerts settings can be changed via Power Settings located in System Settings.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

njsykora posted:

This exists these days and it's called Playstation Plus.

Been awhile since I've used my PS3 as anything but a Netflix hub or Blu Ray player so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

So uh, wow. Picked up a Mario Kart bundle and drat I'm impressed. Spent an hour or so playing Mario Kart and it seems pretty cool.

More importantly though, holy poo poo NSMBU is actually great. Like, I didn't see that coming at all. Only reason I even got it is because Pikmin and Zelda Again interested me even less than Another NSMB Game. But drat I was so wrong, I just beat I guess the second world and I'm loving this. Also the challenges are cool. Also Offscreen play is kind of exactly what I want from a console. Also I've drawn so many pictures of Yoshi.

Pretty excited to eventually get to Donkey Kong and Mario 3D if those are supposed to be even better.

• Locked thread