Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Also this is a show with giants in it. Maybe Mrs. Clegane hosed a giant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Traitorous Leopard posted:

It would be a nice bit of irony if the two most "larger than life" characters of the show met their end by infection/poison.

How quickly we all forget Larger than Life character and Attempted Raper of the World KHal Drogo

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

There are so many amendments in the constitution of the United States of America--I can only choose one!
Mandy Patinkin as Oberyn's brother would be epic. But then the Inigo Montoya references would never stop.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

precision posted:

I don't know why people are assuming that Sansa is now smart and "playing the game" rather than the much more likely option that she actually has fallen for Littlefinger and his expert level game-playing.

Well maybe it's because she just saw first hand how far women fall for Littlefinger.

Marketing New Brain posted:

I don't think there will be any reprisal from Dorne, it isn't like they rigged the fight, which he entered willingly and against the wishes of the Lannisters.

It doesn't matter how fair the fight was, or how legally sound his death was, they sent their second son to a den of Lannisters and he wound up horrifically murdered.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 3, 2014

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
You all are making it sound like The Mountain is going to die from a loving bite like The Hound might. He's going to die from a spear through the loving abdomen. He's also effectively dead either way, since he's crippled from the fight and a crippled Mountain is useless, as he was only as good as his ability to kill poo poo.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing

precision posted:

I don't know why people are assuming that Sansa is now smart and "playing the game"

She is when you define 'the game' not as "Chessmastering for the Throne" but "playing politics and allies of opportunity." She was a piece of furniture in King's Landing, and she knows being herself got her nowhere and no favors. Baelish is only helping her because he wishes she was Cat, but even she knows he's very powerful in his conspiratorial ways. She has no choice but to trust him, but it's also the right move if she wants to stay alive and not take a stroll through the Moon Door.

That DICK! posted:

How quickly we all forget Larger than Life character and Attempted Raper of the World Khal Drogo

Yeah, gently caress the Mountain. I'm still pissed about Drogo.

quote:

But this whole season has felt like its wallowing in its awfulness.

It's a dark time. The War of the Five Kings was all about big heroes and justice, but the aftermath has left the Throne a mess, with the Lannisters cannabalizing themselves in plain view. This episode was a huge paradigm shift, with Tyrion either dead or (hopefully) on the lamb, the Wall in serious trouble, Baelish's lordship established over the Vale and House Bolton claiming the North. Whether the spiral goes up or down from here, things definitely didn't wallow.

Kasonic fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 3, 2014

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

GURM posted:

It has joy, but it also had pain and fear. I think the best fiction captures life in all its light and darkness.

This is the last thing I'm going to say, I understand when I'm not cool enough. But this whole season has felt like its wallowing in its awfulness. It's great to off Ned, or have a huge shocking betrayal like The Red Wedding. Those are exciting events, but this season doesn't have any "up." I don't want a harmless happy ending, that wouldn't be satisfying either; but I've lost the appeal of watching people poo poo and die and die and poo poo.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
There are two episodes left in season four of like, 8, you idiot.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

ZorajitZorajit posted:

This is the last thing I'm going to say, I understand when I'm not cool enough. But this whole season has felt like its wallowing in its awfulness. It's great to off Ned, or have a huge shocking betrayal like The Red Wedding. Those are exciting events, but this season doesn't have any "up." I don't want a harmless happy ending, that wouldn't be satisfying either; but I've lost the appeal of watching people poo poo and die and die and poo poo.

Man, one Dornishman dies and everyone forgets about the wolf bread.

lookit that fuckin' bread :3:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Well, there are still two more episodes left this season, instead of the usual episode nine shenanigans... that might leave some room for an upswing,right?

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Kasonic posted:

Yeah, gently caress the Mountain. I'm still pissed about Drogo.

Fuckin rips a guys tongue out and dies of a gross band-aid

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Apparently my mom finally tuned in to see what all the fuss was about, and only caught the last ten minutes of last nights episode. A perfect time to jump into the story!

"What the gently caress was THAT?" She called to ask.

Pong Fiend
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not sure if this has been posted, but on the off chance. . .
http://mccomseycomix.wordpress.com/2013/06/26/the-red-viper-vs-the-mountain-that-rides-a-12-page-comic/

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

This is some good poo poo.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Yeah, definitely just drop it then. This is obviously not the show for you.

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

There are so many amendments in the constitution of the United States of America--I can only choose one!

This kicks rear end. Now I desperately want all of SOIF in graphic novel form.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
The problem with "good characters" winning is that usually means less conflict which is less interesting. Also, a major theme of the show (in my opinion) is that being ruthless is often necessary to achieve things. Having honor (or in Oberyn's case, vengefulness) and giving bad people chances to hurt/kill you will often result in you being hurt or killed or what-have-you.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Sam won his fight with the zombie.

Why does that guy have plot armor thicker than Dany's skull?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

precision posted:

Being given extremely low expectations is a lot like having the element of surprise.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
Be honest, how many of you guys caught yourselves being moved by the father-son exchange between Ramsay and Roose. I felt like I betrayed the Starks for that brief moment I forgot to blindly hate the Boltons.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

precision posted:

Everything on him is a lot thicker than most.

Who loving cares?

theDOWmustflow posted:

Be honest, how many of you guys caught yourselves being moved by the father-son exchange between Ramsay and Roose. I felt like I betrayed the Starks for that brief moment I forgot to blindly hate the Boltons.

Yeah, that was pretty great. I was really sick of Ramsay tormenting Theon last season, but he became a hell of a character this season. It's also interesting that Roose Bolton of all dudes has more love for a bastard child than anyone in this show with the exception of Ned.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 3, 2014

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
The thing that I love about this story is that it somehow manages to make you care, and occasionally even root for, some legitimately bad people. Like, I love Jaime, I mean, I wouldn't love him as a real person, but as a character he's fantastic, and I can't help but root for him, knowing full well that he tried to kill a little boy, actually killed his cousin and also fucks his sister.

It really fucks with you and it's awesome.

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
Can't wait to see Ramsay flay Brienne and put Podrick's cock in her cooze.

Cause GRRM right?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
nm

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 3, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

theDOWmustflow posted:

I think it's because Iwen Rhoen is such a good actor. Whenever he's not actually torturing people, it seems like he (and I) forget that he's probably literally the most evil gently caress in the entire show. Having watched Misfits definitely doesn't help because Simon was the best.

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

BubbleGoose posted:

Mandy Patinkin as Oberyn's brother would be epic. But then the Inigo Montoya references would never stop.

Andre the Giant would have made an excellent Mountain.

theDOWmustflow posted:

I loved that scene, It was then I realized how much Roose Bolton appeals to me for his cold calculating playing of the 'game'. He doesn't appear to be have any other children but then would they stand a chance against Ramsay Snow? I think not. Roose did not really have a choice other then to officially recognize his bastard.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Svanja posted:

Her mind snapped like Arya's! I had to hide my phone by my leg and between the couch, so I apologize for the movement...I kept giggling and had trouble keeping it completely still.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3mkIAALHcE

Wait, that's your daughter? You're awful, hahahaha

Edit: Durrrr says so in the title

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Everything on him is a lot thicker than most.

Who loving cares?

Yeah, that was pretty great. I was really sick of Ramsay tormenting Theon last season, but he became a hell of a character this season. It's also interesting that Roose Bolton of all dudes has more love for a bastard child than anyone in this show with the exception of Ned.

Dammit, I hate to admit but I was a bit touched by that scene. Ramsey looked so eager to please his father without expecting anything from him. Can't imagine Walder Frey being happy with Roose putting his bastard son in the line of inheritance before a potential son with Walda.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

theDOWmustflow posted:

Honestly not even a little bit, and I'm a bit surprised anyone was touched by it. They're evil people, and it seemed more sinister to me than anything else.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Neif posted:

I loved that scene, It was then I realized how much Roose Bolton appeals to me for his cold calculating playing of the 'game'. He doesn't appear to be have any other children but then would they stand a chance against Ramsay Snow? I think not. Roose did not really have a choice other then to officially recognize his bastard.

I think it was equal parts pragmatism and actual sentiment, really. It's hard not to be impressed with the kid's work. He certainly lives up to his heritage. Yeah, he lacks an heir, but he could get an heir and get rid of Ramsay if he didn't find some twisted sort of pride in his bastard son.

Waffles Inc. posted:

Honestly not even a little bit, and I'm a bit surprised anyone was touched by it. They're evil people, and it seemed more sinister to me than anything else.

I can totally see why anyone would feel just way, but their pure evil makes them a blast to watch so I think they're pretty awesome. I'm certainly more invested in the Boltons right now than Dany.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 3, 2014

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

theDOWmustflow posted:

Me.

Waffles Inc. posted:

Yeah they're pretty evil. Keyword pretty. This show and that scene highlights that even when people are 98.3% evil, that 1.7% of them is still capable of warm human emotions. And confusingly enough, it was indeed sinister as well because this means the Bolton family is getting more solidified and encourages Ramsay to keep doing the awful things he's been up to.

Edit: Also did anyone notice that the ironborn leader of that garrison met a similar fate (incapacitation, in this case death) that Theon met whenever he didn't want to surrender?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Imagine that scene with Ned and Jon. Imagine it.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Traitorous Leopard posted:

It would be a nice bit of irony if the two most "larger than life" characters of the show met their end by infection/poison.

I guess that would be GRRM's deconstruction of War of the Worlds?"

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Lycus posted:

Oh god damnit. :smith:

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

Lycus posted:

Imagine Theon, legitimate from birth, getting that acceptance from his father. :smith:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think at some point Theon is going to just snap and murder everyone around him, regardless of who they are. In fact I was expecting that to happen when he started twitching inside Moat Whogivesafuckistan.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Oh yeah and another thing, its funny that this episode gets so many "The good guys never win, I'm done watching this :smith:" whenever Joffrey, arguably the most villainous character and inarguably the biggest prick, just died a couple of episodes ago.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

precision posted:

I think at some point Theon is going to just snap and murder everyone around him, regardless of who they are. In fact I was expecting that to happen when he started twitching inside Moat Whogivesafuckistan.

Yeah, out of all the characters, Theon is the most rootable.

Deal with it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

BubbleGoose posted:

Can't imagine Walder Frey being happy with Roose putting his bastard son in the line of inheritance before a potential son with Walda.

Walder offers to marry Ramsay to one of his daughters, kills him and stitches Reek's head to his neck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

precision posted:

Yeah, I don't know how long "Reek" is gonna last. He's pretty heavily conditioned, but I get the feeling his head is gonna implode at some point.

• Locked thread